Jane Seymour does not die in childbirth

A surviving Jane means continued/increased prominence for her relatives, particularly if she produced more sons.

Her siblings Henry (b.1503), Thomas (b.1508), and Dorothy (b.1519) all make better marriages. The illegitimate "Ladies" Mary and Elizabeth Tudor are potential marriages for the men, as is Lady Mary Howard, Dowager of Richmond.

A surviving Jane means continued/increased prominence for her relatives, particularly if she produced more sons.

Her siblings Henry (b.1503), Thomas (b.1508), and Dorothy (b.1519) all make better marriages. The illegitimate "Ladies" Mary and Elizabeth Tudor are potential marriages for the men, as is Lady Mary Howard, Dowager of Richmond.

Remind me how Elizabeth was illegitimate? She's Anne's Boleyn's daughter, right? Anne was executed, not divorced. I can imagine Mary being illegitimate due to the annulment of Catherine of Aragon's marriage but not Elizabeth.

EDIT: I see she was declared illegitimate and Anne's marriage was annulled, but apparently she was legitimized again. Why bother annulling Anne's marriage if they're going to kill her anyway? Was it just to get Elizabeth out of the way so Edward could install Jane Grey?

Last edited:
Dudley's brother married Bessie Blount's daughter, Eliza Talboys (who was possible Henry VII's bastard), so I don't see a problem
Ah, the problem there is that this Elizabeth was never acknowledged, unlike our Elizabeth.

Remind me how Elizabeth was illegitimate? She's Anne's Boleyn's daughter, right? Anne was executed, not divorced. I can imagine Mary being illegitimate due to the annulment of Catherine of Aragon's marriage but not Elizabeth.

EDIT: I see she was declared illegitimate and Anne's marriage was annulled, but apparently she was legitimized again. Why bother annulling Anne's marriage if they're going to kill her anyway? Was it just to get Elizabeth out of the way so Edward could install Jane Grey?

Actually, no. Neither Elizabeth nor Mary were ever legitimized again after their parents’ marriages were annulled, they were only just restored to the succession while remaining illegitimate. And Anne’s marriage was annulled mostly so Henry could distance himself from the fact it ever existed. The same thing happened with Catherine Howard’s marriage with him.

Anne was divorced BEFORE she was executed. Elizabeth was NEVER relegitimized but only added into the line of
Ah, the problem there is that this Elizabeth was never acknowledged, unlike our Elizabeth.

Actually, no. Neither Elizabeth nor Mary were ever legitimized again after their parents’ marriages were annulled, they were only just restored to the succession while remaining illegitimate. And Anne’s marriage was annulled mostly so Henry could distance himself from the fact it ever existed. The same thing happened with Catherine Howard’s marriage with him.
Henry FitzRoy must have been pissed when they were allowed into the succession and he wasn't.

EDIT oh he'd already died never mind

Henry FitzRoy must have been pissed when they were allowed into the succession and he wasn't.

EDIT oh he'd already died never mind
Knowing Henry VIII if Fitzroy had been still alive he would have been inserted in the succession ahead of them, leaving Edward VI with a male heir (and probably Fitzroy’s eldest son would have been married to either Elizabeth, Jane or Catherine Grey)