Jane Seymour does not die in childbirth

What happens if Jane survives the birth that did her in and manages to produce a few more heirs, including more sons? She already had one son who made it to his teenage years.

One thing that's interesting about this is that supposedly Anne of Cleves served as a major advisor to both Queens Mary and Elizabeth and came out of the divorce a very wealthy and powerful woman. Anne never gets involved in this case.

It's up to you if Edward makes it to adulthood.

Oh hello!
Well, no, Anne of Cleves was not major advisor to Elizabeth as she died during Mary's reign. She wasn't advisor to Mary either, she just lived quietly in her estate after divorce.
Jane producing more sons bolsters the Seymour faction so if Thomas pulls his stunt with Elizabeth he's harder to prosecute (but he won't because Elizabeth won't be anywhere near the throne)
Edward probably dies in his teens anyway, so his younger brother probably marries Elisabeth of Valois/MQOS instead

He likely has brothers though who pre-empt Elizabeth and Mary. Getting Elizabeth off the throne would have major butterflies.

edit -- ninjaed

Last edited:
One interesting detail within the Seymour's is religion. Otl, Edward Seymour, Catherine Parr and others cumulatively turned Edward into a fanatical protestant. Jane was pretty Catholic and not dying allows her more influence on her son and the knock on effects of Jane getting tutors dismissed, being stepmom to Elizabeth, and setting the tone, even if he's protestant, might mean he's a lot more mellow.

A religious rift between Jane's kids could be fun. Mary, having a couple half siblings, might be willing to marry and have a happier life.

Last edited:
I think in this case Mary would likely be restored to the line of succession and probably allowed to marry, given as she and her line are no threat to Edward and any siblings he may have - Elizabeth is another story.

Also, count on Henry to get bored of Jane and probably take a mistress.

He certainly would but as long as Jane has a son she's untouchable and will remain queen until her death. Assuming she survives further childbirths and doesn't catch an illness, she will outlive Henry and have a role in the regency council. I don't think her influence will be enough to return England to Catholicism but Edward VI may be more moderate when it comes to religion as a result.

He certainly would but as long as Jane has a son she's untouchable and will remain queen until her death. Assuming she survives further childbirths and doesn't catch an illness, she will outlive Henry and have a role in the regency council. I don't think her influence will be enough to return England to Catholicism but Edward VI may be more moderate when it comes to religion as a result.
Yes, I doubt that any english kings will again acknowledge the authority of the pope but there will certainly be no burning of 'heretics' under edward ittl

I think in this case Mary would likely be restored to the line of succession and probably allowed to marry, given as she and her line are no threat to Edward and any siblings he may have - Elizabeth is another story.

Who would be the mistress? Presumably Anne of Cleves is out as he would pick someone local. One of the final two wives OTL? Someone else? I can see him becoming smitten with Catherine Howard and then getting rid of her when she starts fooling around as IOTL.

Of course I can imagine Jane retaliating with "you fool around with her I'm going to pressure my kids to convert to Catholicism. Nice Protestant heir you've got there, shame if something went wrong there..."

Last edited:
Let's say that Jane has another healthy son, what happens with Mary and Elizabeth?
I agree that with a son and a spare, Henry probably lets her marry but to whom? Would Philip of Bavaria still be a possibility without Henry marrying Anne of Cleves? If not him, then I think a Danish prince was considered otl and there's also the duke of Beja.
Elizabeth probably makes a domestic match.

Who would be the mistress?
I have no idea. Anne Basset was probably Henry's mistress in between Jane's death and his remarriage to Anne of Cleves so maybe it would be her but I wouldn't rule out either of his final two otl wives as options either.
Of course I can imagine Jane retaliating with "you fool around with her I'm going to pressure my kids to convert to Catholicism. Nice Protestant heir you've got there, shame if something went wrong there..."
Jane doesn't seem like she would be that backhanded, and would likely go along with henry's catholic-but-without-the-pope beliefs, but who knows

Something interesting to consider here is what becomes of John Dudley ittl - i imagine he would still try to gain influence over the prince of wales and probably displace his uncles as lord protector but also he may have a harder time making inroads with ttl edward vi if he's not so deeply protestant

Let's say that Jane has another healthy son, what happens with Mary and Elizabeth?
I agree that with a son and a spare, Henry probably lets her marry but to whom? Would Philip of Bavaria still be a possibility without Henry marrying Anne of Cleves? If not him, then I think a Danish prince was considered otl and there's also the duke of Beja.

Mary's marriage would predicate on whether or not she gets restored to the succession tbh, but I agree it has to be someone firmly Protestant, as there was a tiny, tiny faction of Catholics who believed the Seymour marriage is still illegitimate given that Henry was excommunicated, and Henry would not take the chance someone would rise for Mary once he dies.

Mary's marriage would predicate on whether or not she gets restored to the succession tbh, but I agree it has to be someone firmly Protestant, as there was a tiny, tiny faction of Catholics who believed the Seymour marriage is still illegitimate given that Henry was excommunicated, and Henry would not take the chance someone would rise for Mary once he dies.
It wouldn't need to be a Protestant marriage. Jane was a Catholic, and with her being in power during Henry's reign, she would ensure her son wasn't as fanatical as he was IOTL and she could even persuade Henry to accept some return back to "old ways". Mary would likely still be restored since Jane was truly fond of Mary and thought of her as a legitimate princess.

Would Mary accept a Protestant husband? It seems out of character. If it's a German Protestant, her cousin the Emperor will have something to say about it.
She nearly did IOTL, with Philip of Bavaria...
Philip of Bavaria was only ever on Mary's radar as Henry wanted to maintain Protestant alliance, which won't happen in a world where Jane lives. Henry will allow Mary to marry, but NOT Beja, he is far too low-ranked for a legitimate princess who ISN'T queen. Elizabeth will be unlikely to make domestic match in a world where Philip II of Spain is an option for her

She nearly did IOTL, with Philip of Bavaria...

Philip of Bavaria was only ever on Mary's radar as Henry wanted to maintain Protestant alliance, which won't happen in a world where Jane lives. Henry will allow Mary to marry, but NOT Beja, he is far too low-ranked for a legitimate princess who ISN'T queen. Elizabeth will be unlikely to make domestic match in a world where Philip II of Spain is an option for her
Mary can be Charles V's second wife.

If memory serves me well, Jane had something to say about the religious reform that Henry VIII was carrying out. Henry didn't like her intervention and reminded her what had happened to his previous wife for being too independent, so to speak, cutting her short. Basically, Henry VIII would keep her quiet (or else). She only became some kind of a myth for Henry after her dead and quite some time after her death.

So, her role if she survived? Some kind of figurehead, perhaps having some influence in advancing her family and rising his son, but, overall, she had little to say.

Keeping in mind Henry'age and physical degradation, perhaps he manage to have two more sons/daughters with her, further reinforcing the succession in case that Edward VI ends as IOTL,

So, her role if she survived? Some kind of figurehead, perhaps having some influence in advancing her family and rising his son, but, overall, she had little to say.
Not really. She definitely had SOMETHING to say - you brought up an example already - but she was shot down because she hadn't produced a child yet. Well, OP is suggesting she lives and produces more of his much-desired male heirs. That elevates her to untouchable, bulletproof status so she will have vastly more influence than she did IOTL