"Io Mihailŭ, Împĕratul Românilor" - A Michael the Brave Romania Wank

On the other hand, East Asia might escape Colonisation.
Korea, for example, might take the example of the Europeans and modernize quickly to become a Great Power in East Asia... I will ask you for ideas when the time will be right.
Well, I certainly had high hopes. But I doubt the speed of colonisation will deviate much from OTL.
Gwanghaegun of OTL is quite the character to play around with. I could certainly see him opening up to trade for quicker revitalisation of the country, and possibly institute strength into Neo-Confucnian institutions for a strong bulwark against the onslaught of Christianity. This constant threat of being conquered by foreign powers may also spur Korea to industrialise, who knows.

That is very much correct. I did not say that the greedy French were right!

Its just that if they started following that line of thought they would very easily be convinced that it wouldn't be a wise idea as you could argue that a very strict reading would be worse for them than it would for Scandinavia

Most of the Pacific Islands are already known and claimed.
Really? ... not trying to say they aren't but were they already known and claimed at this point?

Anyway, everything North of the Tropic of Capricorn cannot be assigned to Terra Australis Incognita under any circumstances. (except maybe the island around Australia)
Obviously so ... a 'southern' got dropped while I wrote the post ... Mea Culpa

Yes, the Hudson Bay will be a Scandinavian Lake. I can assure you of that.
Only makes sense since Scandinavia, as mentioned, would be the only nation with direct access there, that doesn't involve sailing via rivers (and jumping from river to river, Viking Rus' style) or walking.

I am curious about the supposed North-Eastern boundary of Europe at that time. Wasn't it firmly established at the Ural Mountains?
Wikipedia says that up until 18th century the northern boundary between Europe and Asia wasn't clearly defined, sometimes even placing the boundary as far west as Arkhangelsk

Zagan

Donor
1. Its just that if they started following that line of thought they would very easily be convinced that it wouldn't be a wise idea as you could argue that a very strict reading would be worse for them than it would for Scandinavia

2. Really? ... not trying to say they aren't but were they already known and claimed at this point?

3. Obviously so ... a 'southern' got dropped while I wrote the post ... Mea Culpa

4. Only makes sense since Scandinavia, as mentioned, would be the only nation with direct access there, that doesn't involve sailing via rivers (and jumping from river to river, Viking Rus' style) or walking.

5. Wikipedia says that up until 18th century the northern boundary between Europe and Asia wasn't clearly defined, sometimes even placing the boundary as far west as Arkhangelsk.

1. Sure. And the Great Powers Council will surely support them if necessary.

2. I may be exaggerating here. Let's say that a little more than half of the important archipelagos where at least known about. Less so in Polynesia.

3. Ok.

4. Right.

5. Interesting. Anyway, Russia would fight hard for its Arctic window! It will even try to regain access to the Baltic Sea (Sarmatian Ingria) and the Azov Sea (Sarmatian Azov Steppe).

Last edited:
5. Interesting. Anyway, Russia would fight hard for its Arctic window! It will even try to regain access to the Baltic Sea (Sarmatian Ingria) and the Azov Sea (Sarmatian Azov Steppe).

Sure, Russia would probably not be fans, but it was more to say that Scandinavia might well be in full right given the threaty as it is, to claim all of the Arctic coast, and they would likely be able to come to an argeement with Sarmatia to keep Russia suppressed by whatever means nessesary (forced colonization close to home), and don't see any of the other majors being all that interested in complaining about it, much less actually trying to mediate or talk them out of it.

Zagan

Donor
Well, I certainly had high hopes. But I doubt the speed of colonisation will deviate much from OTL.
Gwanghaegun of OTL is quite the character to play around with. I could certainly see him opening up to trade for quicker revitalisation of the country, and possibly institute strength into Neo-Confucnian institutions for a strong bulwark against the onslaught of Christianity. This constant threat of being conquered by foreign powers may also spur Korea to industrialise, who knows.

Interesting character. I suppose he can manage to avoid getting deposed ITTL.

If you like and have the time, you can contribute a piece of text about him opening up and modernizing Korea. And later we can have a small Korean Empire. :)

As I checked your style and I like it, your future contribution about Korea is pre-approved. :cool:
The only important issue for me is the Europeans that arrive there: you may choose between the English, the Germans and the Scandinavians.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Sure, Russia would probably not be fans, but it was more to say that Scandinavia might well be in full right given the threaty as it is, to claim all of the Arctic coast, and they would likely be able to come to an argeement with Sarmatia to keep Russia suppressed by whatever means nessesary (forced colonization close to home), and don't see any of the other majors being all that interested in complaining about it, much less actually trying to mediate or talk them out of it.

Yes.

As a Romanian, I do not like a strong Russia. ;)

On the other hand, I do not want to cripple them too much. I want to maintain a balance between Sarmatia and Russia, because I do not want a very strong Sarmatia either on Romania's Northern border. It is really a delicate balance.

Last edited:
Interesting character. I suppose he can manage to avoid getting deposed ITTL.

If you like and have the time, you can contribute a piece of text about him opening up and modernizing Korea. And later we can have a small Korean Empire. :)

As I checked your style and I like it, your future contribution about Korea is pre-approved. :cool:
The only important issue for me is the Europeans that arrive there: you may choose between the English, the Germans and the Scandinavians.
Will work on it.

Map #26. Exclusive Colonial Rights for the Great Powers Set Aside at the 1626-1627 Great Powers Conference (Old Map)

Zagan

Donor

Exclusive Colonial Rights for the Great Powers Set Aside at the 1626-1627 Great Powers Conference

Blaeu World Fifth.png

You may click on the Map Thumbnail for the High Resolution Map.

You can find the Original Map of Willem Blaeu here.

Story: I employed Willem Blaeu again to make me a World Map, this time showing the Exclusive Colonial Rights as set aside at the Great Powers Conference.

Note: The map projection is Mercator, so there is great distorsion towards the high latitudes both North and South.
Consequently, the Territories assigned to Scandinavia and Germany are not so large as they appear to be (and most of it is really Ocean anyway).

It took less than half an hour to edit this map. I hope you enjoy it.
If you want a map, I can help you when I have some spare time.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
If the Europeans really will not fight among themselves then the colonies would have more difficulty to get independent...

Correct, but... The Europeans never again fighting among themselves is an impossible Utopia.

Further in TTL (spoilers):
- The Europeans will not fight among themselves any significant wars for decades;
- Later, the wars fought by the Europeans with each other will be:
--- Rarer than in OTL;
--- Less destructive;
--- Fought more in the Colonies than in Europe proper.

The Colonisation will be (compared to OTL):
- Faster;
- More thorough;
- Longer lasting;
- With more present-day remnants.

Besides being a Romania-Wank, TTL is also a Europe-Wank.

Last edited:
very minor thing ... shouldn't it rather be Omnis Terra? ... omnibus while prehaps (also) a grammartically correct name sounds off...

Zagan

Donor
very minor thing ... shouldn't it rather be Omnis Terra? ... omnibus while prehaps (also) a grammartically correct name sounds off...

I think that it should be in the ablative case - omnibus, but I am not completely sure. "Lands for all"

Let's hope that a Latinist will drop by and tell us the correct usage.

Last edited:
Map #27. Exclusive Colonial Rights for the Great Powers Set Aside at the 1626-1627 Great Powers Conference

Zagan

Donor

Exclusive Colonial Rights for the Great Powers Set Aside at the 1626-1627 Great Powers Conference

A. Scandinavian Arctic

Google Arctic 1630.jpg

Notes:
The Yellow Parallel is 60N.
2. The Yellow Dot is the North Pole.
3. The Scandinavian Arctic is defined as all Lands and Seas North of 60N with the exception of European Lands (Northern European Russia and British Shetland Islands)
4. It contains (OTL): Greenland, Canadian Northern Archipelago, Northernmost part of Labrador Peninsula (Quebec), Nunavut, North-Western Territories, Most of Alaska (except the Alaskan Penhandle, Southernmost Alaska and the Aleutin Islands), Diomede Islands, The Behring Strait, Northern Siberia (without Kamtchatka Peninsula, without the Baikal Lake, etc), all Russian Arctic Islands, Svalbard, Jan Mayen.
Most of it is Arctic Tundra.

B. Iberian North-West Africa

Google NW Africa 1630.jpg

Notes:
The Yellow Parallel is 16N.
2. The Yellow Meridian is the Meridian of the border between Tripolitania and Cyrenaica (~19E).
3. The Iberian North-West Africa is defined as all African Lands North of 16N and the Senegal River and West of the above Meridian (~19E).
4. It contains (OTL): Ceuta, Melilla, Morroco, Western Sahara, Algeria, Tunisia, almost all Mauretania (except its Southernmost part), Northern Mali (Azawad, with Timbuktu), Northern Niger, Western Libya (Tripolitania and Fezzan), North-Western Chad.
Over 90% of it is part of Sahara.

C. Scandinavian, French, British and Iberian North America

North America Water Divides.png

Notes:
The Southern Black Parallel is 32*30N.
2. The Northern Black Parallel is 60N.
3. The Iberian America is defined as all American Lands and Seas South of 32*30N.
4. The Scandinavian North America is defined as all American Lands and Seas of the Scandiavian Arctic.
5. The French North America (New France) is defined as the Saint Lawrence River Basin plus the Labrador Sea Basin (South of Parallel 60N).
6. The British North America is defined as all North American Lands bordered by: Iberian America, the Appalachian Mountains Divide, French North America, the Atlantic Ocean.
7. The French North America contains (OTL): Saint Pierre and Miquelin, Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, Northern New Brunswick, small parts of Nova Scotia, Southern Quebec, Southern Ontario, a small part of Minessota, Eastern Wisconsin, Michigan, a small part of Illinois (with Chicago), a small part of Indiana, Northern Ohio, a small part of Pennsylvania, North-Western New York, Western Vermont, very small parts of New Hampshire, very small parts of Maine.
8. The British North America contains (OTL): most of Nova Scotia, Southern New Brunswick, most of Maine, most of New Hampshire, Eastern Vermont, Massachussets, Connecticut, Rhode Island, South-Eastern New York, New Jersey, Delaware, most of Pennsylvania, Maryland, Washington DC, most of Virginia, a small part of West Virginia, most of North Carolina, most of South Carolina, North-Eastern Georgia, Bermuda.
9. The Iberian America contains (OTL): all of South America (including islands), all of Central America (including islands), all Mexico, Southern California, Southern Arizona, most of New Mexico, Southernmost Colorado, most of Texas, (maybe very small parts of Nevada, Utah, Oklahoma), most of Louisiana, Southern Mississippi, Southern Alabama, Southern Georgia, a very small part of South Carolina, all Florida.

D. Other Claims (outside Europe)
(no map necessary)​

Notes:
The German Terra Australis Incognita contains (OTL): all Australia (including islands), all New Zealand (including islands), all Antarctica (including islands), maybe other islands in the Southern Pacific Ocean, Southern Indian Ocean and Southern Atlantic Ocean.
2. The Sarmatian Colonies (poorly defined) may contain (OTL): Easternmost Turkey, most of Azerbaidjan proper, most of Iran, most of Iraq, Easternmost Syria, Easternmost Jordan, Eastern Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, UAE, most of Oman, Easternmost Yemen, part of Turkmenistan, part of Afghanistan, Westernmost Pakistan.
I mean really lots of oil!
3. The Romanian Colonies (poorly defined) may contain (OTL): Central Turkey, most of Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Gaza, West Bank, most of Jordan, Westernmost Iraq, Western Saudi Arabia, most of Yemen, Westernmost Oman, (maybe parts or all of: Libya, Egypt, Sudan, Eritrea, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Somalia, etc).
4. Greece (not defined) may contain (OTL): Cyprus, Aegean Islands, South-Western Anatolia.
5. Armenia (not defined) may contain (OTL): Armenia, Karabakh, Nakhchivan, parts of Azerbaidjan proper, parts of Turkey.
6. Georgia (not defined) may contain (OTL): small parts of Azerbaidjan proper, small parts of Turkey.
7. The Italian Colonies (not defined) may contain (OTL): Eastern Libya, most of Egypt, maybe other parts of Africa.

Last edited:
The Germans may try hard in India...

Btw, would France and Brittania really allow the Nordic State to dominate the fur trade?? Thats very unlikely.....
The conference only say you cannot destroy another major power, it did not say you cannot annex their colonies!

Zagan

Donor
The Germans may try hard in India...

Btw, would France and Brittania really allow the Nordic State to dominate the fur trade?? Thats very unlikely.....
The conference only say you cannot destroy another major power, it did not say you cannot annex their colonies!

1. The Germans will try almost everywhere.

2. Nobody knew there were any fur animals up there in 1627.

3. In OTL Canadian North-West, at least initially, most captures were South of parallel 60N. To be more precise, most of Rupert's Land is clearly South of 60N.

4. The British do not seem to have access to OTL Rupert's Land, because the French are clearly in the way. We do not know if Britain will conquer New France in TTL.

5. There will certainly be conflicts around the Hudson Bay, at least between the French and the Scandinavians.

6. Those spheres of influence will not be fixed in stone for eternity but at least in the beginning they will be more or less respected.

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Whew! I finally finished sketching all the remaining chapters of Part One (until shortly after the death of Mihai).
I also have a vague plan for Part Two with some chapters briefly sketched.

Next chapter will be online in less than 24 hours.

Last edited: