Indonesia ATL: The Presidency of Try Sutrisno (1997-)

I do wonder with the reduced impact of the 1997 financial crisis, the term Repelita would actually stick indefinitely, even if Mega/PNI would somehow gained a majority and gained the presidency in the medium term...
I daresay that she and the PNI would change the name Repelita if only to signal a clear break from Soeharto. Most likely it would be changed to Pembangunan Semesta Berencana (The Universal Development Plan), which is the name Sukarno gave to his economic development plan, each plan spanning 8 years rather than 5.

Yeah....I do wonder how does the Thaksin goverment differed ITTL, especially considering an earlier election than IOTL and the resultant smaller majority for Thaksin
Tune in to the next chapter...

Most likely it would be changed to Pembangunan Semesta Berencana (The Universal Development Plan), which is the name Sukarno gave to his economic development plan, each plan spanning 8 years rather than 5.
Of course it was made during the 1960s.

IIRC we didn't have any development plan during the Liberal Democracy era, or even in the late colonial (1918-1942) era too for that matter.

Well to be honest....I think delusion of the hawkish faction are more likely to be influenced by the CCP (which want to have them distracted and not prying their eyes on its ambitions) more than anything else...
Kekeke CCP do not need involved at all those hawkish have closer relationship with British (Mly) and US (AUS). They will try everything to screw Pak Tri plan on geopolitics until China threat become real with their result of building up economy, military and civil.

DKN will be ITTL’s version of the Wantannas. There is of course Soeharto’s Wanhankamnas but this became the agency in charge of producing the Draft GBHN which Soeharto would submit to the MPR rather than a place to discuss national security issues https://www.google.co.id/books/edit...ankamnas+gbhn&pg=RA5-PA17&printsec=frontcover, ITTL it was abolished by Try to safe funds during the Asian Financial Crisis.

Hamid Karzai surviving US friendly fire is an OTL incident https://www.theguardian.com/world/2001/dec/05/afghanistan1

A bit difficult to pinpoint how many T-54/T-55s were there exactly in Afghanistan during this time. Wiki says at least 400 T-54s, T-55s, and T-62 as of 1992 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-54/T-55_operators_and_variants), Global Security’s numbers are higher (https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/afghanistan/army-equipment.htm)
My suggestion just cancel the procurement of those old Soviet era tanks. You can get 200-400 Leopard 2A4 from Germany to upgrade or surplus 100 Leopard 2A6 Netherland. Buddy those old tanks only worthed on Cold War Era. Hell with current anti tank technology they will be destroyed.

Last edited:
246: Intryvention
14th April 2003:
There were lot of cameras snapping as President Try Sutrisno shook hands with King of Thailand Bhumipol Adulyadej. First Lady Tuti Setiawati and Queen of Thailand Sirikit were also there but the focus was very much on the two men and the cameras snapped away at them. Try exchanged pleasantries with the King but got the sense that the real conversation would not be with him. From the Grand Palace, Try and his entourage went by car for a short distance to Si Sao Thewes and the residence of President of the Privy Council Prem Tinsulanonda. Try saluted Prem when he saw the latter and the latter returned the salute and began to bow as he shook Try’s hand though Try prevented him from doing so.

Prem told Try that his visit to Thailand comes at an interesting time. Try laughed and said that it seems that way judging by all that he’s read prior to arrival and what he’s experienced thus far. But it was at this juncture that Prem became serious.

“You are a friend to this country, Mr. President”, Prem said “And I want to assure you that whether this or any future government, Thailand’s policy towards Indonesia will not change.”

“I am thankful for that, General Prem” Try replied, knowing what Prem was alluding to but trying to keep it light “Though if you excuse me, the laws of time and space only allows me to deal with one government at a time, in this case the present one.”

Try laughed at his own comment though Prem remained serious.

“This country is like a beautiful race horse that has a jockey riding it to guide it to victory in race” Prem explained “But a jockey is not a horse owner and when a jockey starts to act like he’s the horse owner he needs to realize that jockeys come and go...”

As he got into the car with State Secretary Edi Sudrajat to depart from Prem’s house for Government House, Try looked thoughtful. When Edi asked Try how the conversation went, Try told it at which point Edi took a deep breath.

“That bad, huh?” Edi asked before shaking his head “Of all the times you have to be here…”

Try was silent for a while as the car continued to make its way down the road.

“On the other hand, since I’m here”, Try began “I might as well try to make something of it…”

Try headed to the Government house where he and the ministers he brought along were due to have a work meeting with Prime Minister of Thailand Thaksin Shinawatra and some of his ministers.

Try brought with him Minister of Foreign Affairs Marzuki Darusman, Minister of Economics and National Development Planning Dorodjatun Kuntjoro-Jakti, Minister of Trade Anthony Salim, Minister of Industry Siswono Yudohusodo, Minister of Transportation Chappy Hakim, Head of the BKPM Mari Pangestu, and Edi Sudrajat. Thaksin brought with him Deputy Prime Minister/Minister of Defence Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, Deputy Prime Minister/Minister of Finance Banharn Silpa-Archa, Minister of Interior Somkid Jantusripitak, Minister of Foreign Affairs Surakiart Sathirathai, Minister of Commerce Adisai Bodharamik, Minister of Transportation Suriya Juangroongruangkit and Secretary General of the Cabinet Wissanu Krea-angam.

The meeting produced, among others, the following agreements:
*Ari Sudewo and Chavalit signed an intelligence-sharing agreement between BAKIN and the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) for intelligence related to terrorism, religious extremism, and separatism.

*Siswono and Suriya signed an agreement for Thailand State Railway to import locomotives, carriages, and ballast hoppers from Indonesia’s Railway Industries (INKA).

*Chappy Hakim and Suriya signed an agreement which grants permission for Indonesian low-cost carriers to establish routes to Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Phuket.

*Mari Pangestu and Adisai signed an agreement between the BKPM and Thailand’s Board of Investment to conduct exchange visits between regional governments in Sumatra and in Southern Thailand, the areas that had been marked for cooperation in the Indonesia Malaysia Thailand Growth Triangle (IMT-GT). Thaksin half-jokingly said, and Try concurred, that Thailand and Indonesia were not going to wait for Malaysia forever.

15th April 2003:
The morning saw Try and some of his entourage head out from Bangkok International Airport on a short flight to Utapao Airport before heading to Sattahip Naval Base. Here, Try visited HTMS Chakri Naruebet, Thailand’s Aircraft Carrier shaking hands and asking questions with the personnel about the ship. The Thai Government was represented by Chavalit. In between chatting about the aircraft carrier and reminiscing about old times (Chavalit was Commander-in-Chief of the Army in Thailand at the same time Try as Army Chief of Staff in Indonesia), Try noticed that Chavalit was trying to get the two of them out of earshot.

Immediately guessing what this was about, Try allowed himself to be shepherded away. Chavalit got to the point immediately rather speak in riddles, asking Try what he thought on “things”.

“I am a foreigner, General”, Try said “I shouldn’t be involved in such conversations.”

Chavalit smiled politely, his gesture seeming to say “But nevertheless we’d still like your opinion.”

“APEC is in 6 months, suppose you…change jockeys as General Prem puts it, don’t you think that APEC will be the perfect opportunity where they will be show their displeasure? That some will not attend out of displeasure or even worse?”, asked Try “That will be a big event and will add to Thailand’s profile and stature. So that’s the first concern.

The second concern, suppose if the People’s Republic of China recognizes “things” the way it recognized “things” in Cambodia in 1997 and in Myanmar last year, does that mean Thailand will start distancing itself from Indonesia and start drifting into China’s orbit the way Malaysia, Cambodia, and Myanmar has been?”

From Sattaship Naval Base, Try and his entourage headed back to Bangkok where he had lunch with Leader of the Opposition and former Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai; reminiscing about the days they tackled the Asian Financial Crisis together. Of the current situation that Thaksin was in, Chuan said that Thaksin was undoubtedly popular saying that Thaksin’s Thai Rak Thai (TRT) Party could have gotten more seats if Chuan had not called an early election and caught them still far from ready.

Chuan offered that a vote of no confidence could be attempted but not politically possible. Chavalit and Banharn, the two deputy prime ministers and leaders of TRT’s two coalition partners, could not be counted upon to cast a vote of no confidence in Thaksin much less support an alternative prime minister. That was why “other alternatives” are being considered.

It proved to be a full day, after lunch Try and Thaksin attended a meeting of Indonesian and Thai Businessmen during which the Indonesia-Thai Chamber of Commerce was declared to be found; Try and Thaksin seen affixing their signatures and declared as witnesses to the organization’s founding.

The day ended in the evening at the Indonesian Embassy in Bangkok with a watch hosted by Try and the First Lady and attended by Thaksin, their wives, Indonesians living in Bangkok, and Indonesian language students in Bangkok. They watched an episode of Si Doel Anak Sekolahan which has been dubbed into Thai language and which had become a hit since it premiered on Thai Television in November.

16th April 2003:
After spending a part of the morning at the Saphan Khao Fruit to talk to locals and look at the quality of Thai fruit, Try headed for his working morning tea meeting at the Phitsanulok Mansion, the Prime Minister of Thailand’s official residence though as Thaksin himself explained, prime ministers do not like it there because it was allegedly haunted. Though the meeting had originally been scheduled with Marzuki and Edi attending with Try and Surakiart and Wissanu attending with Thaksin, Try requested for a one-on-one meeting. Thaksin was fine with that.

The talk covered current affairs and strategic issues. Try agreed to Thaksin’s idea that all of ASEAN’s health ministers meet in Bangkok in a few weeks’ time to discuss ASEAN’s handling of SARS. The two discussed about China taking the threat seriously and taking action against SARS; agreeing that President of China Luo Gan was not about to let his presidency began with failure to handle a crisis. They had a laugh when discussing that in the last 48 hours, China had to push Cambodia to tighten measures against SARS because the latter was still adopting a lax approach but was beginning to record SARS cases.

“3 months left until the election over there, it’s Hun Sen’s problem if the people remember how he’s handling SARS when they go to the polls”, Try said of the Prime Minister of Cambodia.

There was quiet and then Thaksin began speaking about how he was facing insurgency that is at once religious and ethnic, that is at once “religious extremism and separatism”. Try listened to Thaksin speak and waited until the latter was finished, this was why he wanted a one on one. Thaksin ended his spiel by asking Try if he would be able to send an ABRI Contingent, as was the case with the Philippines, to assist with Southern Thailand.

Try turned serious and for a second, Thaksin was worried that Try was going to say no. But what Try said was far worse.

“Resolve your situation with the Army and I’ll consider assisting with the insurgency in the South a done deaal”, Try said.

“Mr. President with all due respect, that is an internal matter…” Thaksin pleaded.

“You’ve decided to exclude them as far as your handling of the insurgency in Southern Thailand is concerned”, Try said “And if I agree to what you’re asking in the current situation, I’m giving approval to what you’re doing and if the Thai Army ends up being hostile to me because of that approval, that’s not only your problem but that also becomes my problem.”

Thaksin scoffed and stood up, pacing around the room.

“I’ve excluded them because I can’t trust them”, Thaksin snapped “The Army belongs to General Prem, General Surayud belongs to Prem, and speaking of which General Surayud has had a long tenure as Commander-in-Chief of the Army and it’s his time to go but he’s digging in his heels and resisting…”

Thaksin trailed off and Try gave him some time to compose himself.

“Your son-in-law is a 3-star Army officer is he not, Mr. President?” asked Thaksin.

“It wouldn't be a good look and the officer corps wouldn't like it if I made him Army Chief of Staff, if that’s what your asking, Mr. Prime Minister”, Try replied “Just like it’s not a good look and the officer corps wouldn't like it if you somehow secure your cousin’s appointment as Commander-in-Chief of the Army.”

Thaksin slumped.

“Get them involved again in South Thailand and give them a Commander-in-Chief that both you and them can accept”, Try continued on “If you want your presence at my inauguration and me being here right now to be of any use to you in this situation, please consider what I’m saying…”

Thaksin looked he was trying to process what Try’s saying.

“Listen, I know what it feels like to have people who don’t think that you deserve to stand where you’re at and are powerful enough to do something about it” Try said “But you can do the right thing. The Thai economy’s doing well, it was Thailand which seriously pushed for AFTA to resume again, and Thailand’s hosting the APEC Summit in October…you should be a shoo-in for re-election…not picking the wrong fight and risk losing everything because of it.”

It was on that note that the meeting ended, Try urging Thaksin to think “about what I’ve just said” as he shook hands with him.

From the Prime Minister’s residence, Try and his entourage headed to Chulalangkorn University, Thailand’s oldest university. There, Try delivered a public lecture which was broadcasted live on television. In the lecture, Try said that he had chosen Thailand as the first foreign place he had intended to visit his re-election and inauguration because he considers Thailand “a close friend and partner for Indonesia in navigating this multipolar environment” and said that “on the big issues in this multipolar world, Southeast Asian nations should be in agreement with one another to avoid being used as pawns by other powers which do not have the best interest of the region at heart”.

After Chulalangkorn University it was back to the Grand Palace for a farewell call on King Bhumipol and then Bangkok International Airport for departure. He was looking out of the window as the Presidential Airplane climbed higher when Marzuki and Edi joined him.

“Think you got through to him?” asked Edi.

“I’ve named my price, I’ll help him with Southern Thailand if he makes his peace with the Army”, replied Try as he loosened his tie and massaged his head.

“I’ve told Minister Surakiart about the gist of what you said to Prime Minister Thaksin, he strongly agrees and will encourage Prime Minister Thaksin to do as you have suggested”, Marzuki said “Deputy Prime Minister Chavalit will be important as far as being a bridge to Prem is concerned.”

“Will this be taken as you taking Thaksin’s side, Mr. President?” asked Edi.

“How am I taking Thaksin’s side? I’m telling Thaksin that he needs to get along with the Army instead of telling the Army to back off”, Try replied.

“Come on, Mr. President” Edi said “You can try that line when someone asks about the last few days but not me…the aim here is for Thaksin to remains in place, right?”

“If the Thai Army overthrows Thaksin in a coup, our situation would be impossible”, Try said “If I don’t recognize the coup, I would’ve made an enemy of the Thai Army; if I recognized the coup I would’ve made an enemy out of Thaksin and his supporters.”

“And if China recognizes the coup, we better hope the United States and the West does as well” Marzuki said “Because even with our recognition, if the United States and the West still does not recognize it, express disapproval or whatever and China does, we don’t have enough gravity to prevent Thailand from drifting China’s way.”

Try gestured in Marzuki’s direction in agreement.

“There you go”, Try said.

---
For the sake of being a bit different I left it until quiet late for the “situation” that Thaksin has with the Army to be revealed and of course for the word “coup” to make its appearance.

What’s happening are pretty much things that happened in OTL Thailand except it’s been brought forward a few years and moderated (ie. It’s not as bad because ITTL Thaksin doesn’t have as much control of the Thai Parliament as his OTL version, I daresay the War on Drugs had not gotten under way yet or hadn’t expanded to such a stage that it’s become noticeable). We’re still far away from the OTL political crisis in Thailand as in 2005-2006 but it’s bad enough that a coup is being considered.

Excluding the Army from the Southern Insurgency is as OTL (https://www.google.co.id/books/edit...dq=Thaksin+SBPAC&pg=PA109&printsec=frontcover) but he hasn’t succeeded in getting his cousin appointed as Commander-in-Chief of the Army as in OTL. Instead Surayud’s just trying to stay on for as long as possible here.

On Prem’s “jockey” metaphor: https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/06BANGKOK4277_a.html

Try’s ultimate fear is that China will be the beneficiary of a military coup in Thailand but this isn’t so far-fetched. When the US reacted negatively to the Thai coups in 2006 and 2014 in OTL, and suspended military aid, China has not condemned the coup and Thailand has turned to China and deepened its cooperation with it https://carnegieendowment.org/2023/10/26/thailand-in-emerging-world-order-pub-90818

“I’ve named my price, I’ll help him with Southern Thailand if he makes his peace with the Army”, replied Try as he loosened his tie and massaged his head.

“I’ve told Minister Surakiart about the gist of what you said to Prime Minister Thaksin, he strongly agrees and will encourage Prime Minister Thaksin to do as you have suggested”, Marzuki said “Deputy Prime Minister Chavalit will be important as far as being a bridge to Prem is concerned.”

“How am I taking Thaksin’s side? I’m telling Thaksin that he needs to get along with the Army instead of telling the Army to back off”, Try replied.

“Come on, Mr. President” Edi said “You can try that line when someone asks about the last few days but not me…the aim here is for Thaksin to remains in place, right?”

“If the Thai Army overthrows Thaksin in a coup, our situation would be impossible”, Try said “If I don’t recognize the coup, I would’ve made an enemy of the Thai Army; if I recognized the coup I would’ve made an enemy out of Thaksin and his supporters.”

“And if China recognizes the coup, we better hope the United States and the West does as well” Marzuki said “Because even with our recognition, if the United States and the West still does not recognize it, express disapproval or whatever and China does, we don’t have enough gravity to prevent Thailand from drifting China’s way.”

Guess whose words rings when i'm reading this section?

None other than ITTL Lee Kuan Yew
Singapore:
“I think that if you want stability in Southeast Asia, there has to be stability in Indonesia. If you want stability in Indonesia, then it has to recover from the present crisis. If you want to Indonesia to recover from the present crisis, you have to maintain a constructive relationship with President Try Sutrisno." –Senior Minister Lee Kuan Yew to US Ambassador to Japan Walter Mondale in January 1998 when discussing the crisis’ effect on Southeast Asia.

Stability is paramount, and political factionalism can be very damaging, indeed.... No love for Thaksin, whether OTL or ITTL, but i hope the situation can be resolved without any purge involved.

And i think again, does Abu Bakar Ba'asyir went to Pattani instead of Indonesia? That would present a challenging circumstances there.

And i think again, does Abu Bakar Ba'asyir went to Pattani instead of Indonesia? That would present a challenging circumstances there.
This is Indonesia’s interest in intelligence-sharing with Thailand. In OTL Ba’asyir returns to Indonesia from Malaysia the aftermath of Soeharto’s fall but ITTL, this return has been butterflied. Would be a non-starter asking for intelligence-sharing with Malaysia considering their current relationship.

Engrossing to see Try's moves.
Right place, right time.

14th April 2003:
There were lot of cameras snapping as President Try Sutrisno shook hands with King of Thailand Bhumipol Adulyadej. First Lady Tuti Setiawati and Queen of Thailand Sirikit were also there but the focus was very much on the two men and the cameras snapped away at them. Try exchanged pleasantries with the King but got the sense that the real conversation would not be with him.
Considering the relatively powerful position of the king when compared to other kings in the regions...this seems ominous...I wonder why..
From the Grand Palace, Try and his entourage went by car for a short distance to Si Sao Thewes and the residence of President of the Privy Council Prem Tinsulanonda. Try saluted Prem when he saw the latter and the latter returned the salute and began to bow as he shook Try’s hand though Try prevented him from doing so.

Prem told Try that his visit to Thailand comes at an interesting time. Try laughed and said that it seems that way judging by all that he’s read prior to arrival and what he’s experienced thus far. But it was at this juncture that Prem became serious.

“You are a friend to this country, Mr. President”, Prem said “And I want to assure you that whether this or any future government, Thailand’s policy towards Indonesia will not change.”

“I am thankful for that, General Prem” Try replied, knowing what Prem was alluding to but trying to keep it light “Though if you excuse me, the laws of time and space only allows me to deal with one government at a time, in this case the present one.”

Try laughed at his own comment though Prem remained serious.

“This country is like a beautiful race horse that has a jockey riding it to guide it to victory in race” Prem explained “But a jockey is not a horse owner and when a jockey starts to act like he’s the horse owner he needs to realize that jockeys come and go...”

As he got into the car with State Secretary Edi Sudrajat to depart from Prem’s house for Government House, Try looked thoughtful. When Edi asked Try how the conversation went, Try told it at which point Edi took a deep breath.

“That bad, huh?” Edi asked before shaking his head “Of all the times you have to be here…”

Try was silent for a while as the car continued to make its way down the road.

“On the other hand, since I’m here”, Try began “I might as well try to make something of it…”
Yeah the army has disagreement with Thaksin....I want to saya as is tradition but I forgot that currently the disagreement had only began and is not yet became a tradition OTL...
Try headed to the Government house where he and the ministers he brought along were due to have a work meeting with Prime Minister of Thailand Thaksin Shinawatra and some of his ministers.

Try brought with him Minister of Foreign Affairs Marzuki Darusman, Minister of Economics and National Development Planning Dorodjatun Kuntjoro-Jakti, Minister of Trade Anthony Salim, Minister of Industry Siswono Yudohusodo, Minister of Transportation Chappy Hakim, Head of the BKPM Mari Pangestu, and Edi Sudrajat. Thaksin brought with him Deputy Prime Minister/Minister of Defence Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, Deputy Prime Minister/Minister of Finance Banharn Silpa-Archa, Minister of Interior Somkid Jantusripitak, Minister of Foreign Affairs Surakiart Sathirathai, Minister of Commerce Adisai Bodharamik, Minister of Transportation Suriya Juangroongruangkit and Secretary General of the Cabinet Wissanu Krea-angam.
Yup, the coalition partner do gained a leverage here, which result in at least a demotion, which could be as a result of a cabinet reshuffle, which seems to happen more frequently than I thought...
The meeting produced, among others, the following agreements:
*Ari Sudewo and Chavalit signed an intelligence-sharing agreement between BAKIN and the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) for intelligence related to terrorism, religious extremism, and separatism.

*Siswono and Suriya signed an agreement for Thailand State Railway to import locomotives, carriages, and ballast hoppers from Indonesia’s Railway Industries (INKA).
Huh...INKA really flourishes here...while its looks like the economy of Thailand also recovered faster than OTL...
*Chappy Hakim and Suriya signed an agreement which grants permission for Indonesian low-cost carriers to establish routes to Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Phuket.
Errrr......oh...let's hope there would be stringent safety law to regulate those.
15th April 2003:
The morning saw Try and some of his entourage head out from Bangkok International Airport on a short flight to Utapao Airport before heading to Sattahip Naval Base. Here, Try visited HTMS Chakri Naruebet, Thailand’s Aircraft Carrier shaking hands and asking questions with the personnel about the ship. The Thai Government was represented by Chavalit. In between chatting about the aircraft carrier and reminiscing about old times (Chavalit was Commander-in-Chief of the Army in Thailand at the same time Try as Army Chief of Staff in Indonesia), Try noticed that Chavalit was trying to get the two of them out of earshot.

Immediately guessing what this was about, Try allowed himself to be shepherded away. Chavalit got to the point immediately rather speak in riddles, asking Try what he thought on “things”.

“I am a foreigner, General”, Try said “I shouldn’t be involved in such conversations.”

Chavalit smiled politely, his gesture seeming to say “But nevertheless we’d still like your opinion.”

“APEC is in 6 months, suppose you…change jockeys as General Prem puts it, don’t you think that APEC will be the perfect opportunity where they will be show their displeasure? That some will not attend out of displeasure or even worse?”, asked Try “That will be a big event and will add to Thailand’s profile and stature. So that’s the first concern.

The second concern, suppose if the People’s Republic of China recognizes “things” the way it recognized “things” in Cambodia in 1997 and in Myanmar last year, does that mean Thailand will start distancing itself from Indonesia and start drifting into China’s orbit the way Malaysia, Cambodia, and Myanmar has been?”
I do wonder what would Chavalit is doing by saying this keeping in mind the fact that....
From Sattaship Naval Base, Try and his entourage headed back to Bangkok where he had lunch with Leader of the Opposition and former Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai; reminiscing about the days they tackled the Asian Financial Crisis together. Of the current situation that Thaksin was in, Chuan said that Thaksin was undoubtedly popular saying that Thaksin’s Thai Rak Thai (TRT) Party could have gotten more seats if Chuan had not called an early election and caught them still far from ready. Chuan offered that a vote of no confidence could be attempted but not politically possible. Chavalit and Banharn, the two deputy prime ministers and leaders of TRT’s two coalition partners, could not be counted upon to cast a vote of no confidence in Thaksin much less support an alternative prime minister. That was why “other alternatives” are being considered.
.. IOTL, Chavalit party was practically dissolved in 2001 and he along with most of the members decide to join TRT, however I think Chavalit party would already gained enough leverage and concession that perhaps the defacto merger does not happen ITTL...for now....
It proved to be a full day, after lunch Try and Thaksin attended a meeting of Indonesian and Thai Businessmen during which the Indonesia-Thai Chamber of Commerce was declared to be found; Try and Thaksin seen affixing their signatures and declared as witnesses to the organization’s founding.

The day ended in the evening at the Indonesian Embassy in Bangkok with a watch hosted by Try and the First Lady and attended by Thaksin, their wives, Indonesians living in Bangkok, and Indonesian language students in Bangkok. They watched an episode of Si Doel Anak Sekolahan which has been dubbed into Thai language and which had become a hit since it premiered on Thai Television in November.

16th April 2003:
After spending a part of the morning at the Saphan Khao Fruit to talk to locals and look at the quality of Thai fruit, Try headed for his working morning tea meeting at the Phitsanulok Mansion, the Prime Minister of Thailand’s official residence though as Thaksin himself explained, prime ministers do not like it there because it was allegedly haunted. Though the meeting had originally been scheduled with Marzuki and Edi attending with Try and Surakiart and Wissanu attending with Thaksin, Try requested for a one-on-one meeting. Thaksin was fine with that.

The talk covered current affairs and strategic issues. Try agreed to Thaksin’s idea that all of ASEAN’s health ministers meet in Bangkok in a few weeks’ time to discuss ASEAN’s handling of SARS. The two discussed about China taking the threat seriously and taking action against SARS; agreeing that President of China Luo Gan was not about to let his presidency began with failure to handle a crisis. They had a laugh when discussing that in the last 48 hours, China had to push Cambodia to tighten measures against SARS because the latter was still adopting a lax approach but was beginning to record SARS cases.

“3 months left until the election over there, it’s Hun Sen’s problem if the people remember how he’s handling SARS when they go to the polls”, Try said of the Prime Minister of Cambodia.

There was quiet and then Thaksin began speaking about how he was facing insurgency that is at once religious and ethnic, that is at once “religious extremism and separatism”. Try listened to Thaksin speak and waited until the latter was finished, this was why he wanted a one on one. Thaksin ended his spiel by asking Try if he would be able to send an ABRI Contingent, as was the case with the Philippines, to assist with Southern Thailand.

Try turned serious and for a second, Thaksin was worried that Try was going to say no. But what Try said was far worse.

“Resolve your situation with the Army and I’ll consider assisting with the insurgency in the South a done deal”, Try said.

“Mr. President with all due respect, that is an internal matter…” Thaksin pleaded.

“You’ve decided to exclude them as far as your handling of the insurgency in Southern Thailand is concerned”, Try said “And if I agree to what you’re asking in the current situation, I’m giving approval to what you’re doing and if the Thai Army ends up being hostile to me because of that approval, that’s not only your problem but that also becomes my problem.”

Thaksin scoffed and stood up, pacing around the room.

“I’ve excluded them because I can’t trust them”, Thaksin snapped “The Army belongs to General Prem, General Surayud belongs to Prem, and speaking of which General Surayud has had a long tenure as Commander-in-Chief of the Army and it’s his time to go but he’s digging in his heels and resisting…”

Thaksin trailed off and Try gave him some time to compose himself.

“Your son-in-law is a 3-star Army officer is he not, Mr. President?” asked Thaksin.

“It wouldn't be a good look and the officer corps wouldn't like it if I made him Army Chief of Staff, if that’s what your asking, Mr. Prime Minister”, Try replied “Just like it’s not a good look and the officer corps wouldn't like it if you somehow secure your cousin’s appointment as Commander-in-Chief of the Army.”

Thaksin slumped.

“Get them involved again in South Thailand and give them a Commander-in-Chief that both you and them can accept”, Try continued on “If you want your presence at my inauguration and me being here right now to be of any use to you in this situation, please consider what I’m saying…”

Thaksin looked he was trying to process what Try’s saying.

“Listen, I know what it feels like to have people who don’t think that you deserve to stand where you’re at and are powerful enough to do something about it” Try said “But you can do the right thing. The Thai economy’s doing well, it was Thailand which seriously pushed for AFTA to resume again, and Thailand’s hosting the APEC Summit in October…you should be a shoo-in for re-election…not picking the wrong fight and risk losing everything because of it.”

It was on that note that the meeting ended, Try urging Thaksin to think “about what I’ve just said” as he shook hands with him.

From the Prime Minister’s residence, Try and his entourage headed to Chulalangkorn University, Thailand’s oldest university. There, Try delivered a public lecture which was broadcasted live on television. In the lecture, Try said that he had chosen Thailand as the first foreign place he had intended to visit his re-election and inauguration because he considers Thailand “a close friend and partner for Indonesia in navigating this multipolar environment” and said that “on the big issues in this multipolar world, Southeast Asian nations should be in agreement with one another to avoid being used as pawns by other powers which do not have the best interest of the region at heart”.

After Chulalangkorn University it was back to the Grand Palace for a farewell call on King Bhumipol and then Bangkok International Airport for departure. He was looking out of the window as the Presidential Airplane climbed higher when Marzuki and Edi joined him.

---
For the sake of being a bit different I left it until quiet late for the “situation” that Thaksin has with the Army to be revealed and of course for the word “coup” to make its appearance.

What’s happening are pretty much things that happened in OTL Thailand except it’s been brought forward a few years and moderated (ie. It’s not as bad because ITTL Thaksin doesn’t have as much control of the Thai Parliament as his OTL version, I daresay the War on Drugs had not gotten under way yet or hadn’t expanded to such a stage that it’s become noticeable). We’re still far away from the OTL political crisis in Thailand as in 2005-2006 but it’s bad enough that a coup is being considered.

Excluding the Army from the Southern Insurgency is as OTL (https://www.google.co.id/books/edit...dq=Thaksin+SBPAC&pg=PA109&printsec=frontcover) but he hasn’t succeeded in getting his cousin appointed as Commander-in-Chief of the Army as in OTL. Instead Surayud’s just trying to stay on for as long as possible here.

On Prem’s “jockey” metaphor: https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/06BANGKOK4277_a.html

Try’s ultimate fear is that China will be the beneficiary of a military coup in Thailand but this isn’t so far-fetched. When the US reacted negatively to the Thai coups in 2006 and 2014 in OTL, and suspended military aid, China has not condemned the coup and Thailand has turned to China and deepened its cooperation with it https://carnegieendowment.org/2023/10/26/thailand-in-emerging-world-order-pub-90818
And yup, there is a insurgency brewing in Southern Thailand, which IOTL is on a exponential increase of incidents from 50 in 2001, to 75 in 2002, then 149 in 2003, to surpassing a whopping number of 1000 in 2004. Whether ITTL insurgency would be better or worse (since there are perhaps a few wild cards here and there) would depend on Thaksin handling....

Last edited:
Yup, the coalition partner do gained a leverage here, which result in at least a demotion, which could be as a result of a cabinet reshuffle, which seems to happen more frequently than I thought...
I was mostly thinking that because ITTL TRT did not get as many votes as in OTL, the cabinet will not be a carbon copy of OTL. Banharn was certainly not the Minister of Finance during this time.

Absolutely correct that Chavalit's Party hasn't merged into the TRT.

ITTL Thaksin basically has all the potential to become OTL Thaksin but he's been kept in check by the election results in 2000 which was not as big as he would've hoped.

Thailand's political elite ITTL basically has a consensus when it comes to having a favorable attitude to Indonesia and Try. So whether it's The King, Prem, Thaksin, Chuan, Chavalid, Banharn or whoever, it's not going to change the attitude towards Indonesia. That's one more reason why Try feels he needs to intervene, because if a coup happens he is bound to piss someone off in recognizing/not recognizing the coup or in supporting/not supporting someone.

247: Try and His ABRI
17th April 2003:
Having touched down at Bandar Sri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam in the very late afternoon there was only time for President Try Sutrisno to be welcomed at Nurul Iman Palace by Sultan of Brunei Hassanal Bolkiah and for a Royal Banquet to be held in his honour.

When morning came Try arrived to the Palace again to get down to business. He brought Minister of Legal Affairs Marzuki Darusman, Minister of Economics and National Development Planning Dorodjatun Kuntjoro-Jakti, Minister of Mining and Energy Awang Faroek Ishak, Minister of Manpower Muhyiddin Arubusman, Junior Minister of Defense and Security Adwin Suryohadiprodjo and State Secretary Edi Sudrajat; Muhyiddin, Awang, and Adwin having joined Try for this part of the trip.

Bolkiah brought Minister of Home Affairs Isa Ibrahim, Minister of Foreign Affairs Mohamed Bolkiah, Deputy Minister of Defence Ibnu Basit Apong and Deputy Minister of Finance and Economy Yakub Abu Bakar.

Among others, the following were agreed to during the meeting:

*Dorodujatun and Yakub signed an MoU committing Indonesia and Brunei to revitalize BIMP-EAGA by conducting exchange visits between officials from Indonesian provinces in Kalimantan and Sulawesi and officials from Brunei’s districts.

*Muhyiddin and Isa Ibrahim signed an agreement where Brunei will increase its intake of migrant workers from Indonesia.

*Adwin and Ibnu Basit Apong signed an agreement which will see Indonesia purchase Brunei’s 3 Nahkoda-Ragam corvettes which it had ordered and ready for delivery but had subsequently decided against having. On account of the agreement regarding Indonesia’s extra crude oil imports (see below), the price at which Indonesia will purchase the 3 corvettes at 1/3 the original price with no interest on payment installments.

*The big one was an agreement signed by Try and Bolkiah which committed Brunei to increase its export of crude oil to Indonesia over the next 10 years. In the press conference after the meeting, Yakub would say that Indonesia is already the largest export destination for Bruneian crude oil, accounting for 30% for all export revenues, but this agreement would see Indonesia’s share of being an export market of Bruneian crude oil reach over 35%.

Awang meanwhile focused on the President’s instruction that while oil imports from the Middle East will continue, it was important given how important oil is in literally fuelling Indonesia’s economy that proximity be considered an important criteria when looking for additional sources of crude oil. Awang said that this decision to import additional crude oil from Brunei builds upon the agreement signed with Vietnam in July 2002 to import crude oil from there so that Indonesia has sources of crude oil imports which are in close proximity to Indonesia.

When the meeting was finished, Try and Bolkiah had a smaller meeting; Mazuki accompanying Try and Mohamed Bolkiah accompanying Bolkiah. Bolkiah expressed his happiness that AFTA will resume again in January 2004 and credits Try for “helping move the process along”. At the same time as AFTA however, said Bolkiah, Brunei is too far into its free trade negotiations with Chile to stop and that this trade agreement will be signed soon. Try said that he’s only too happy to see Brunei sign a free trade agreement and prosper economically outside of AFTA.

“AFTA should never be a restraint on what its participants can or can’t do when it comes to developing itself economically, Your Majesty”, Try said “As far as ASEAN and the region are concerned, however, I would like to see AFTA as a sign that all 10 of us can come to an agreement for the good of the region regardless of our differences of opinion; and if we can agree on economic matters, all 10 of us can come to an agreement on bigger and more strategic questions such as how we should navigate the multipolar world.”

Bolkiah became thoughtful saying that the multipolar world is “complicated”. He said that Brunei condemns United States’ operations in Afghanistan, “somewhat agrees” on the United States and its allies’ ongoing “humanitarian intervention” to unseat President of Yugoslavia Slobodan Milosevic on account of the latter’s repression of Muslims in Kosovo, but is now worried whether the the United States’ attention being elsewhere means there will be “others” will look to fill in the vacuum in the immediate region.

“In this regard, your words that Southeast Asian nations should look for their national security in Southeast Asia ring true, Mr. President”, Bolkiah said.

“Does this mean Brunei wants to join the Jakarta Bloc, Your Majesty?” asked Marzuki causing those present to laugh.

“You’ve already got more oil, more spots for your migrant workers here, and 3 corvettes” Bolkiah replied jestfully “I’m worried you might not have enough space left for souvenirs.”

Not long after that the conversation ended and with Bolkiah seeing him off, Try departed back for Jakarta.

“He sees your point, Mr. President, but he still doesn’t want to commit?” asked Edi when Try told him how the conversation went “What’s his game?”

“Sitting on the fence for as long as possible because that makes him all the more valuable”, Try said “But

we import oil and beef from the guy and our relation’s great despite the fact that he frowned a bit at how I’ve acted in the aftermath of 9/11. Somehow I don’t think pushing and pressuring him into anything is not the right move.”

19th April 2003:
The President, First Lady Tuti Setiawati, and their grandchildren attracted attention from other onlookers as they walked around the Bogor Botanical Garden. The President waved and asked where the onlookers were from, listening on with pleasure as a family from Semarang told him that they drove the Trans-Java Toll Road from Semarang to Bogor and are looking to continue their trip to Jakarta the next day. Afterwards the President and his family retreated to Bogor Presidential Palace where they were spending that long weekend.

The afternoon, however, was all work though the President and his guests were dressed in smart casual clothes. Minister of Defense and Security Wiranto, Commander of ABRI TB Hasanuddin, Deputy Commander of ABRI Djoko Sumaryono, Army Chief of Staff Srijanto and Deputy Army Chief of Staff Prijanto, Navy Chief of Staff Djoko Agoes Hanoeng and Deputy Navy Chief of Staff Bambang Supeno, Air Force Chief of Staff Teddy Sumarno and Deputy Air Force Chief of Staff I Gusti Made Oka, and Chief of Police I Made Mangku Pastika and Deputy Chief of Police Firman Gani.

The officers were there, with TB as their spokesman, to report on the 2003 ABRI Leadership Meeting which happened when the President was on his trip to Thailand and Brunei. The following were reported to the President:

Review of the ABRI 2002 Joint Exercise:
*The review of the ABRI 2002 Joint Exercise was submitted to the ABRI Leadership Meeting as promised.

*The review attributed the “difficulties” encountered during the exercise to “human error” and that ABRI personnel, whether collectively or in each respective branch, needed to undergo more training.

*The format of the joint exercise, being a jungle warfare and urban warfare exercise, is deemed to be correct as this encourages the personnel involved to focus on the “little things” and to realize the consequences if they miss the “little things”.

*The review calls for an acceleration of knowledge-sharing between ABRI personnel and the Myanmarian military personnel currently in Indonesia.

*The review also calls for coordination between the Education and Training Commands of the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Police to improve synergy between all four branches’ education and training.

*The review also calls for the major units currently involved with the Indonesian Contingent Command in the Philippines to be rotated. The units current involved can then share their knowledge with the units back home and units departing for the Philippines can gain experience.

*In the aftermath of the exercise, the sentiment around the defense attache community in Jakarta and which they are reporting back to their home countries seem to be that Indonesia is getting stronger as far as getting new equipment was concerned but that it still “has a while to go” when it comes to improving the capabilities of its military personnel.

Personnel Matters:
*The Tatmadaw Personnel which had evacuated Myanmar last year to be fully integrated into ABRI this financial year.

*After training for nearly a year, all of the Myanmarian Army personnel are now light infantry qualified and will be organized into 18 Light Infantry Battalions (each battalion comprising 500 personnel). These light infantry battalions will be attached to each of the 3 Kostrad Divisions and the 15 Regional Military Commands. The rest of the personnel will be spread out over the Navy, Air Force, and the Department of Defense and Security.

*On account of the integration of these personnel into ABRI, ABRI’s personnel expansion plans and recruitment will have to be adjusted.

*In the current financial year recruitment intake for combat personnel and for some non-combat personnel would have to be slashed and as the Tatmadaw Personnel which have evacuated Myanmar are mostly Army personnel, the Army will not be recruiting as originally planned.

*Recruitment intake will go back to normal in future years taking into account ABRI’s priorities.

Territorial Commands:
*Modifications to the territorial commands has been agreed to which will see the phasing out of the NCOs in charge of villages (Babinsa), Military Rayon Command (Koramil), and Military District Command (Kodim) while retaining the Military Resort Command and the Regional Military Command.

*The phasing out of the aforementioned levels of territorial command will take into account the security situation of each respective territorial unit (ie. territorial units in secure and conducive areas will be phased out first, territorial units in prone areas will be phased out later).

*ABRI’s territorial function to be focused at the Army’s Military Resort Command level though some functions would have to be transferred to the Police, the Department of Home Affairs’ Civil Defence, and the BAKIN’s regional offices. Further coordination with the aforementioned government departments and agencies will be forthcoming.

*Personnel from phased out territorial units will be retrained and will either be assigned to combat units whether existing or new.

21st April 2003:
“…such are the decisions that the 2003 ABRI Leadership Meeting have reached and come to an agreement to, Mr. President. We thank you for the opportunity of presenting it to you. Assalamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh”, read out TB Hasanuddin.

In his chair, the President nodded in acknowledgement as TB completed his report and returned to his seat at the President’s left hand side. They were at the Presidential Palace in Jakarta now and TB had just repeated what he had reported the previous Saturday to the President at the Bogor Presidential Palace. The big difference was that this time round, TB made his report with not only Wiranto, Djoko Sumaryono and the Chiefs and Deputy Chiefs of all of ABRI’s branches as his witness but with ABRI’s top brass in attendance, some 200 officers in all.

And just as TB made his report in front of a larger audience, it was then the President’s turn to give his response in front of this larger audience. In his keynote speech, the President gave his approval to what has been agreed to by the 2003 ABRI Leadership Meeting though he had a lot more to say.

“Officers”, the President said “If we look at the ABRI Leadership Meeting which you have just participated in, we can say that the theme of this ABRI Leadership Meeting is “Continuously Making ABRI Stronger”. And this theme is reflected in the three important decisions which ABRI has agreed to in its Leadership Meeting.

The decision to integrate the Myanmarian military personnel that have evacuated to our shores is a decision to make ABRI stronger. The military capabilities of another armed forces in the region with its own capabilities and traditions and experiences are being added to our own capabilities and traditions and experiences. They will fight alongside us but even more importantly, they will train alongside us. There will be some noise against us limiting the recruitment of personnel this year but our task will be to remember the big picture and that ABRI will become stronger as a result of this.

The decision to make adjustments to the territorial command structure is a decision to make ABRI stronger. From the outset it needs to be said that we are not abolishing anything or changing anything. Where modifications and adjustments are proposed, we will go about things cautiously; not rushing into things, not changing things for change’s sake and most certainly with a greater aim in mind. Keep this firmly in mind while explaining what we are doing to your subordinates, all those belonging to a territorial command will not be left without an assignment, they’ll be retrained and they will be assigned to combat units, whether existing ones or new. Please keep this in mind and please emphasize that.

Finally, the review of the 2002 ABRI Joint Exercise and its recommendations are conducted to make ABRI stronger. I don’t mind setback and I don’t mind coming up short, as long as we’re not too much in our asses to learn from something it. I don’t mind looking bad in front of others and having others underestimate me. I mean, I don’t have to tell you there’s probably a lot of people thinking that I wouldn’t last long, yet here I am. But I’m okay with that, I’m okay with people sniggering and saying under their breath that we still have a lot to go because it will make it that much more shocking for them the next time we take to the field and we end up being stronger than they remember us to be. And that will be the point where we emerge victorious.

We have to remember though, that their shock is not something that we should take for granted. Their shock is something that is conditional on us learning from our setbacks during the Joint Exercise and actually doing something about it. There is hard work to be done, but I believe that the moment will come when you will overcome your setbacks and make your nation remember how worthy you are of their pride.”

---
I’m surprised that Brunei held on to these 3 corvettes/OPVs for such a long time. But Indonesia’s getting a bigger discount than OTL because they’ve signed on to importing additional Bruneian oil.

OTL Indonesia in 2007-2008 was 34% of Brunei’s crude oil export destination https://www.google.co.id/books/edit...+brunei+crude+oil&pg=PA47&printsec=frontcover

On Myanmar’s Light Infantry Battalion having around 500 personnel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myanmar_Army#Organisation.

This is going to be a bit of theme for the next while for ITTL ABRI: “More money being spent on getting equipment, but still need to improve their human resources”

There will be some noise against us limiting the recruitment of personnel this year but our task will be to remember the big picture and that ABRI will become stronger as a result of this.
It is funny, in other countries people avoid joining the military, but in Indonesia we pay bribe to join the military

17th April 2003:
Having touched down at Bandar Sri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam in the very late afternoon there was only time for President Try Sutrisno to be welcomed at Nurul Iman Palace by Sultan of Brunei Hassanal Bolkiah and for a Royal Banquet to be held in his honour.

When morning came Try arrived to the Palace again to get down to business. He brought Minister of Legal Affairs Marzuki Darusman, Minister of Economics and National Development Planning Dorodjatun Kuntjoro-Jakti, Minister of Mining and Energy Awang Faroek Ishak, Minister of Manpower Muhyiddin Arubusman, Junior Minister of Defense and Security Adwin Suryohadiprodjo and State Secretary Edi Sudrajat; Muhyiddin, Awang, and Adwin having joined Try for this part of the trip.

Bolkiah brought Minister of Home Affairs Isa Ibrahim, Minister of Foreign Affairs Mohamed Bolkiah, Deputy Minister of Defence Ibnu Basit Apong and Deputy Minister of Finance and Economy Yakub Abu Bakar.

Among others, the following were agreed to during the meeting:

*Dorodujatun and Yakub signed an MoU committing Indonesia and Brunei to revitalize BIMP-EAGA by conducting exchange visits between officials from Indonesian provinces in Kalimantan and Sulawesi and officials from Brunei’s districts.

*Muhyiddin and Isa Ibrahim signed an agreement where Brunei will increase its intake of migrant workers from Indonesia.

*Adwin and Ibnu Basit Apong signed an agreement which will see Indonesia purchase Brunei’s 3 Nahkoda-Ragam corvettes which it had ordered and ready for delivery but had subsequently decided against having. On account of the agreement regarding Indonesia’s extra crude oil imports (see below), the price at which Indonesia will purchase the 3 corvettes at 1/3 the original price with no interest on payment installments.

*The big one was an agreement signed by Try and Bolkiah which committed Brunei to increase its export of crude oil to Indonesia over the next 10 years. In the press conference after the meeting, Yakub would say that Indonesia is already the largest export destination for Bruneian crude oil, accounting for 30% for all export revenues, but this agreement would see Indonesia’s share of being an export market of Bruneian crude oil reach over 35%.

Awang meanwhile focused on the President’s instruction that while oil imports from the Middle East will continue, it was important given how important oil is in literally fuelling Indonesia’s economy that proximity be considered an important criteria when looking for additional sources of crude oil. Awang said that this decision to import additional crude oil from Brunei builds upon the agreement signed with Vietnam in July 2002 to import crude oil from there so that Indonesia has sources of crude oil imports which are in close proximity to Indonesia.

When the meeting was finished, Try and Bolkiah had a smaller meeting; Mazuki accompanying Try and Mohamed Bolkiah accompanying Bolkiah. Bolkiah expressed his happiness that AFTA will resume again in January 2004 and credits Try for “helping move the process along”. At the same time as AFTA however, said Bolkiah, Brunei is too far into its free trade negotiations with Chile to stop and that this trade agreement will be signed soon. Try said that he’s only too happy to see Brunei sign a free trade agreement and prosper economically outside of AFTA.

“AFTA should never be a restraint on what its participants can or can’t do when it comes to developing itself economically, Your Majesty”, Try said “As far as ASEAN and the region are concerned, however, I would like to see AFTA as a sign that all 10 of us can come to an agreement for the good of the region regardless of our differences of opinion; and if we can agree on economic matters, all 10 of us can come to an agreement on bigger and more strategic questions such as how we should navigate the multipolar world.”

Bolkiah became thoughtful saying that the multipolar world is “complicated”. He said that Brunei condemns United States’ operations in Afghanistan, “somewhat agrees” on the United States and its allies’ ongoing “humanitarian intervention” to unseat President of Yugoslavia Slobodan Milosevic on account of the latter’s repression of Muslims in Kosovo, but is now worried whether the the United States’ attention being elsewhere means there will be “others” will look to fill in the vacuum in the immediate region.

“In this regard, your words that Southeast Asian nations should look for their national security in Southeast Asia ring true, Mr. President”, Bolkiah said.

“Does this mean Brunei wants to join the Jakarta Bloc, Your Majesty?” asked Marzuki causing those present to laugh.

“You’ve already got more oil, more spots for your migrant workers here, and 3 corvettes” Bolkiah replied jestfully “I’m worried you might not have enough space left for souvenirs.”

Not long after that the conversation ended and with Bolkiah seeing him off, Try departed back for Jakarta.

“He sees your point, Mr. President, but he still doesn’t want to commit?” asked Edi when Try told him how the conversation went “What’s his game?”

“Sitting on the fence for as long as possible because that makes him all the more valuable”, Try said “But

we import oil and beef from the guy and our relation’s great despite the fact that he frowned a bit at how I’ve acted in the aftermath of 9/11. Somehow I don’t think pushing and pressuring him into anything is not the right move.”

---
I’m surprised that Brunei held on to these 3 corvettes/OPVs for such a long time. But Indonesia’s getting a bigger discount than OTL because they’ve signed on to importing additional Bruneian oil.

OTL Indonesia in 2007-2008 was 34% of Brunei’s crude oil export destination https://www.google.co.id/books/edition/The_Report_Brunei_Darussalam_2008/c19ZyvEpFHsC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=indonesia+34%+brunei+crude+oil&pg=PA47&printsec=frontcover
Well, Brunei, Brunei really hadn't been touch much, most probably since the political system meant that it really hard to have any political change unless something major... to recap Brunei journey so far IOTL and ITTL...
There were delegations to meet from other nations. As Vice President JB Sumarlin headed the Indonesian delegation, the other nations attending also sent their deputy heads of state or government. The Bruneian delegation was headed by Crown Prince Al-Muhtadee Billah. The President conveyed his thanks to Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah through the Crown Prince for the beef imports which Brunei had provided for Indonesia. The Crown Prince said that the Bruneian economy was still stagnating from the effects of the Asian Financial Crisis.
mainly due to things that are too long to explain....*cough* Prince Jefri embezzlements / Amedeo $15billion *cough*, I do wonder how does Brunei financial matters had an influence on its stance....

Well, Brunei, Brunei really hadn't been touch much, most probably since the political system meant that it really hard to have any political change unless something major...
From a writing standpoint, absolute monarchies and autocracies are the most “butterfly-resistant” political systems. Parliamentary democracies are probably the most “butterfly-prone”.

Nominated this TL for the 2024 Turtledove Awards - Best Cold War to Contemporary Timeline
Thank you @Kosaki_MacTavish and @Bloodking for the nomination and second. Let’s see how this TL progresses this year.

No update this week with the long weekend in Indonesia. Hopefully sometime next week.

From a writing standpoint, absolute monarchies and autocracies are the most “butterfly-resistant” political systems. Parliamentary democracies are probably the most “butterfly-prone”.
Agree....although I have to clarify my comment, that when I say
how does Brunei financial matters had an influence on its stance....
I meant the current state of Brunei investments in foreign countries, in particular the countries that have already been affected by the POD and the potential changes in the development of the scandal ITTL, could potentially affected its stances some countries, (particularly those that interfere with the investment)
Thank you @Kosaki_MacTavish and @Bloodking for the nomination and second. Let’s see how this TL progresses this year.
Congrats on the nomination, while the competition its tough, I am very sure that you would get more votes than previous years...
No update this week with the long weekend in Indonesia. Hopefully sometime next week.
We will see....

Interesting the game Brunei is playing: Brunei has the oil card, they are kind of self sufficient (they can exchange oil for everything), so they dont want to commit to any block. It seems they dont care about who is leading SEA as long as they can sell oil and derivates.

But also gave generous concessions to Indonesia. For me, there are no cards to play and let Brunei as a partner and nothing more. Unless Indonesia can play a card Brunei needs.

Interesting the game Brunei is playing: Brunei has the oil card, they are kind of self sufficient (they can exchange oil for everything), so they dont want to commit to any block. It seems they dont care about who is leading SEA as long as they can sell oil and derivates.

But also gave generous concessions to Indonesia. For me, there are no cards to play and let Brunei as a partner and nothing more. Unless Indonesia can play a card Brunei needs.
In a way it is a very “mature” relationship because Brunei doesn’t approve of Indonesia’s stance towards Islamic radicalism, and has let Indonesia know about it, but this hasn’t gotten in the way of a win-win relationship.

Just been very busy right now and a bit of food poisoning to boot so no update this week.