Indonesia ATL: The Presidency of Try Sutrisno (1997-)

@focus9912 has provided the link about how Malaysia fared in the ITTL 1999 elections.
Nevermind, I had check back and it turns out I had post the wrong link. The actual result by seat is in this post.

And now that I check the post, I feel like there could be something that needed to be clarified.

The World Circa November 1999 (Southeast Asia and Oceania)

Southeast Asia:
Malaysia:

July 1999 saw Malaysia hold its elections. The Barisan Nasional Coalition, which included the governing UMNO Party, was returned with a reduced majority. Its seats were reduced from 162 seats to 134 while the Barisan Alternatif, which included Anwar Ibrahim’s PKR Party increased its seats from 30 seats to 58 seats. Anwar himself ran for election as part of the PKR and was elected as Leader of the Opposition. Mahathir Mohammad’s political career came to an end as he did not renominate for his seat in parliament.

Though UMNO had a reduced majority, Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi’s was seen to have made the right decision. The consensus being that holding the elections later meant that UMNO and Barisan Nasional run the risk of losing more popularity and thus more seats.

As the days and months passed, Badawi’s strategy of pursuing a middle path between Mahathir Mohammad and Anwar Ibrahim’s paths began to pay off and the economy is set to grow positively again in 1999. There was talk after the election victory of asking aid from the IMF. However, Minister of Trade and Industry Najib Razak said that it would do “national pride” good if Malaysia can recover from the crisis without IMF aid.
In comparison to IOTL, BN had 12 less seats. The current PM ITTL, is Najib Razak, in which IOTL almost lost his seat at that election (in fact that was the closest his ever been in losing his seat). That been said, the election ITTL is being held in July, instead of December (which is during the monsoon season which usually affects the East Coast of the Malay Peninsular the most, where his seat is located). So, IMO, it could be interpreted as BN does better in the East Coast of the peninsular, while doing much worse in the other areas ITTL.

Last edited:
While on the topic of oil, one thing he has to focus on after the presidential election is to combat the energy mafia, especially oil and gas. It's such a strong block that no new refinery has been completed for more than 2 decades. The recent uproar over fuel is also because of that issue. If Try can wrangle oil and gas sector under control, it will help immensely considering the exponential growth of vehicles and transportation in the upcoming years.

While on the topic of oil, one thing he has to focus on after the presidential election is to combat the energy mafia, especially oil and gas. It's such a strong block that no new refinery has been completed for more than 2 decades. The recent uproar over fuel is also because of that issue. If Try can wrangle oil and gas sector under control, it will help immensely considering the exponential growth of vehicles and transportation in the upcoming years.
Facilitating joint-ventures between Indonesian and foreign oil companies could give some answers, specially with a wide array of oil sellers. IIRC Try signed technical memos with Gabon ITTL so maybe we could see more memos signed on the near future.

192: The Ground Shifts
28th August 2002:
-Minister of Home Affairs Harsudiono Hartas and State Secretary Edi Sudrajat visited Chairman of the DPR Harmoko at the latter’s office. Harsudiono and Edi came to submit the names of non-partisans who will sit in the MPR as part of the Group Delegates to Harmoko on behalf of the President; the Status of the MPR, DPR, and DPRD Law requiring an 80% agreement by the current DPR for the non-partisan to be approved to sit in the MPR as part of the Group Delegate.

Harmoko was impassive when he accepted the list. Putting it to one side he told Harsudiono and Edi bluntly that he plans to renominate for the chairmanship of the DPR/MPR and asked whether he had the President’s support. When the answer came back in the negative, Harmoko became agitated.

“I thought he would have learned from experience”, Harmoko exclaimed “The last time President Try was indecisive about supporting me, Tutut Soeharto ended up as the Chairwoman of Golkar.”

Harsudiono and Edi talked tough too saying that such matters were for the President to decide but they privately agree with Harmoko’s points.

-Chairman of the PKPI Basofi Sudirman met with Secretary of the PKPI Joyokusumo. Both serving concurrently as DPR members, they could see what the PKPI’s DPR members were thinking. Joyokusumo reported that in the wake of the PKPB’s nomination of Hartono as chairman of the DPR/MPR, there was a sentiment among the PKPI’s DPR members that the PKPI should have its own candidate for the chairmanship of the DPR/MPR as well. Support so far is split between Harmoko and Chairman of the Manpower Bill Special Committee Jakob Tobing.

What was concerning was that there are voices in the PKPI arguing that that the matter of the chairmanship of the DPR/MPR be settled first regardless of whether or not the Manpower Bill will end up being passed in the current or next DPR term.

Basofi and Joyokusumo met with Chairman of the PPP Matori Abdul Djalil, Leader of the PPP in the DPR Zarkasih Nur, and Secretary of the PPP Bachtiar Chamsyah and fared no better. The PPP’s DPR members are demanding to know who will be the PPP’s candidate for the chairmanship of the DPR/MPR, whether or not the PKPI and the PPP will be nominating a joint candidate, and which constitutional high office will be allocated for a PPP member as promised the PKPI-PPP Coalition Agreement.

When Basofi said he had no answer, Matori replied that in that case he has been authorized by the PPP’s National Leadership Council to hold a National Leadership Meeting to decide various political matters. Basofi said that that would be breaking the PPP’s arrangement with the President which was that they would help pass the Manpower Bill first before holding a National Leadership Meeting. Matori replied that “Events are pushing things along”.

Basofi asked Matori who the PPP will nominate. Matori said that this will be discussed at the National leadership Meeting.

Coming out of the meeting with Basofi and Joyokusumo, Matori announced that the National Leadership Meeting will convene in Jakarta in 48 hours’ time.

-During the mid-afternoon, Chairwoman of the PNI Megawati Soekarnoputri announced that the PNI will nominate Secretary of the PNI Soetjipto as chairman of the DPR/MPR. Behind the scene, Megawati admitted that the nomination’s main purpose was to put more pressure on the PKPI-PPP Coalition and that her aim was to get the PPP to walk away from the PKPI, join the PNI, and form a legitimate third bloc.

-PPP DPR Member Hamzah Haz welcomes the news that the PPP will hold a National Leadership Meeting. When asked if he still supported the President, Hamzah said that of course he does. He said that President Try will be re-elected because women “were never meant to be leaders and that our faith frowns upon female leaders.”

-Chairman of Muhammadiyah Amien Rais is seen visiting Chairman of the Nahdlatul Ulama Abdurrahman Wahid in the evening. Amien lobbied Wahid with the arrangement he had proposed to Harmoko; Harmoko remaining as Chairman of the DPR/MPR, the PPP to nominate Muhammadiyah’s Ali Hardi Kiai Demak to remain as the PPP’s vice chairman of the DPR/MPR. Try as president and an NU member as a vice president.

“Imagine Hamzah Haz…or Matori…or maybe even yourself, Gus, in that spot”, said Amien.

-In an after-dinner meeting, the President talked with Basofi Sudirman, Edi Sudrajat, and Harsudiono Hartas about developments. There was a consensus that the situation about the PKPI’s candidate for the position of the chairman of the DPR/MPR needs to be “finalized” before the end of the week when the President will be departing for a trip overseas.

29th August 2002:
-The morning’s news bulletins were very busy. In addition to the situation surrounding nominations for the chairmanship of the DPR/MPR, PPP officials are seen flocking in to Jakarta to attend the National Leadership Meeting and Hamzah Haz’s comments from the previous day were getting negative publicity publicity. On the last matter, no less than State Minister of Female Empowerment and the Protection of Children Khofifah Indar Parawansa said that Hamzah “does not speak for all PPP members”.

Matori also issued a statement distancing himself from Hamzah Haz’ comments. Privately, he asked himself whether Minister of Social Affairs Meutia Hatta knew who her successor would be.

-Edi came to the Presidential Palace after a breakfast meeting with Wahid. He passed on a private message from Wahid to the President saying that if Harmoko’s arrangement with Amien Rais was allowed to hold, that would increase Amien’s power in the President’s coalition. Wahid said that if the arrangement was followed, the next vice president even if they are from the Nahdlatul Ulama will be in a position of indebtedness to Amien and they will be more beholden to him.

The President would be kept busy by Meutia Hatta in the morning. Meutia would surprise the President by announcing that she had changed her mind about resigning her position to become a DPR member. Publicly, Meutia would say that she wanted to complete a full term as minister. Privately, Meutia said to the President that she finds Hamzah’s comments to be revolting and that she was staying on to prevent him from becoming minister.

After Meutia had left, Edi would facepalm when the President confessed that he had revealed to Meutia that he planned to place Hamzah in her place. Edi consulted the matter with Harsudiono. The latter said that Hamzah made his comments deliberately. Even if he did not know whether Meutia was aware that he was replacing her or not, Hamzah said that he was more interested in high office rather than a seat around the cabinet table.

-Mid-morning would see Harmoko make an announcement at the DPR building. Though he did not make explicit his intention to nominate for another term as chairman of the DPR/MPR, Harmoko announced that he enjoyed the support of “PKPI members who share his ideas about appealing to rural areas and elements within the PPP”. Harmoko also pointed to his performance during the election campaign in rural areas where the PKPI had struggled.

Having made his statement, Harmoko said that he now awaits the petunjuk of the President in the latter’s capacity as the Leader of the PKPI.

-Harmoko’s statement that he enjoys support within the PKPI drew strong reaction internally. Minister of Transmigration Indra Bambang Utoyo spoke out against Harmoko saying that while nobody is taking away anything from Harmoko’s contribution to the PKPI Election Campaign, he pointed to Minister of Tourism Soeyono mobilizing the support of the tourism industry so that they would vote for the PKPI but not running around advertising that fact to everyone.

Basofi was more circumspect, agreeing with Harmoko that the PKPI awaits the directive of its leader and that no PKPI member, including Harmoko, should pre-empt the President.

-Both of their offices being in South Jakarta, Minister of Agriculture Sarwono Kusumaatmadja and Minister of Industry Siswono Yudohusodo agreed that by appealing to cross-party support, Harmoko was making a strong case for re-election and that he had to be stopped as quickly as possible. The two agreed on a political arrangement and to sell the idea of that political arrangement to the relevant people.

The two would have their dinner at the Abdurrahman Wahid’s residence in a meal which was also attended by the host, Basofi Sudirman, Joyokusumo, Matori Abdul Djalil, Bachtiar Chamsyah, Harsudiono Hartas, and Edi Sudrajat. At the dinner, Sarwono and Siswono repeated their proposed arrangement and whilst no agreement was given, Edi and Harsudiono told them to make their proposal directly to the President.

A large media presence had gathered outside of Wahid’s house but those attending the dinner would not betray what they had discussed; they only hopped into their cars and made the trip to the Presidential Palace.

The eight met with the President for some time. But when they came out, to the disappointment of the press, the PKPI had neither agreed to support Harmoko or named another candidate.

30th August 2002:
The morning hour made Harmoko thought that he was being asked to have a breakfast meeting. Yet apart from some tea, there was no meal involved. The President invited Harmoko to “get down to business” and allowed him to speak first, whereupon Harmoko outlined the case which he made the previous day though with an additional point.

“I await your petunjuk and hope sincerely that the petunjuk will be one directing me to nominate for a second term in my current office, Mr. President”, said Harmoko.

Then Harmoko sat down and he would later say that he saw what his fate would be in the President’s eyes before it appeared in the President’s mouth.

“I’m afraid it will not be you, Mr. Chairman”, said the President.

Harmoko struggled to process this. He struggled so much to process the news that the President’s explanation was inaudible, something about how he did not look well on Harmoko’s association with Amien Rais.

It took a while for Harmoko to regain composure and the strength to ask a question.

“Who do you intend to nominate for my position, Mr. President?” asked Harmoko “Jakob Tobing…oh I know, you’re nominating Basofi…he’s the Chairman of the PKPI, he’s the one with the real shot at becoming chairman of the DPR/MPR.”

“The PKPI will not be nominating anyone for the chairmanship of the DPR/MPR, it will support the PPP’s candidate for chairman of the DPR/MPR”, replied the President “I am pulling the necessary strings to make sure that the PPP will nominate Matori Abdul Djalil.”

Harmoko scoffed to himself.

“I’ve always thought the PKPI-PPP Coalition Agreement would be bad for me”, Harmoko said to himself, before he spoke to the President “I had hoped that I had been clear in signaling my intentions to you, perhaps I haven’t been clear enough, Mr. President.”

“Those intentions have been clear to me for some time, Mr. Chairman”, replied Try “But for the sake of the Government and the Coalition that supports it, I must ask you not to go ahead with it.”

To Try’s surprise, tears began welling up in Harmoko’s eyes.

“My contributions to the election campaign…to the PKPI…” Harmoko stammered “Haven’t I earned your trust, President Try?”

Not long thereafter the meeting ended. Harmoko looked cheerful as he announced his fate to those who had gathered outside.

Sesuai petunjuk Presiden, I will not nominate for another term as Chairman of the DPR/MPR in the next term of the DPR/MPR”, he said.

From the television screen, the President and Edi watched as Harmoko promised to serve out the remainder of his days as chairman of the DPR/MPR and called on his supporters in the DPR to throw their support behind the President’s re-election. Edi noticed that the President looked a bit sad.

“Long before Tutut was undermining my presidency, she was undermining his chairmanship of Golkar”, the President said with more than a little regret in his voice “Even you don’t have that shared experience with me.”

“You did the right thing, Mr. President”, assured Edi “Who will sit beside you as vice president is important and you can’t restrict yourself in who you will choose to PPP members. I don’t think you trust Amien Rais enough to let him gain more influence, either.”

“I don’t”, said the President “He jockeys and lobbies too much for influence for my liking.”

Not long thereafter, the President had a three-way meeting with Basofi and with Matori. It was a short meeting and it was then the turn of Basofi and Matori to front the press.

In their joint statement, Basofi and Matori declared that:

-As part of the PKPI and the PPP’s Coalition Agreement, the PKPI has agreed that the constitutional high office of chairman of the DPR/MPR will be given to a PPP member and that the PKPI will support the PPP’s candidate for the chairman of the DPR/MPR;

-The President in his capacity as the Leader of the PKPI has indicated his preference that Matori Abdul Djalil will be the PPP’s candidate for the chairmanship of the DPR/MPR;

-The PPP has agreed to give the President a blank cheque in his choice of vice president;

In a separate press conference later in the day, Edi announced that to “reaffirm his commitment to the PKPI-PPP Coalition”, the President has decided to dissolve the Pancasila Coalition which he had established three years prior and recognize only the PKPI-PPP Coalition as the only coalition that he is a part of.

“The Pancasila Coalition was the President’s initiative to counter the influence of the then-Chairwoman of Golkar by embracing the various other groupings within Golkar, the friendly grouping within the PPP, the Nahdlatul Ulama and Muhammadiyah. Actually this coalition became obsolete the moment Golkar split into the PKPI and the PKPB because the President and Tutut Soeharto is no longer in the same party anymore.”

Elsewhere Amien Rais decided to go on an impromptu holiday and would be unreachable in the next few days. It was, all agreed, his way of showing displeasure at how things have turned out.

31st August 2002:
The PPP National Leadership Meeting had been opened the previous afternoon. Though there was an initial expectation that there will be heated debate about the PPP’s plans in the near future as it heads into the 2003 MPR Session, the clarity over what the PPP “will get from Try meant that the overwhelming mood was one of relief though the PPP’s Muhammadiyah members and Hamzah’s supporters looked a bit glum.

The National Leadership Meeting now turned into a victory parade for Matori. With the President’s backing and pocketing Wahid’s blessing, Matori announced his candidacy for the chairmanship of the DPR/MPR. There was talk of Hamzah Haz nominating but support dried up for him when it became clear that Wahid was supporting Matori.

By lunchtime there were cries of joy when the PPP National Leadership Meeting announced that it was unanimously nominating Matori for the chairmanship of the DPR/MPR.

Away from all the noise of the PPP National Leadership Meeting though there were still cameras trailing him on account of his position, Harmoko visited the offices of the KPU. He submitted a letter asking to withdraw an earlier letter he had sent to the KPU indicating his willingness to assume a seat in the next DPR. After a little bit of time inside the building, a letter accepting Harmokos’s request was given to him by Chairman of the KPU HBL Mantiri.

Harmoko looked relieved when he emerged out of the KPU Building to front the press with the letter. He only smiled when one member of the press pointed out that by having his request not to assume a DPR seat approved, it meant that Harmoko would be going into retirement.

“The petunjuk is for me to get off the stage”, said Harmoko “And after 1st October, I will oblige.”

The President watched all this from Halim Airbase’s VIP Lounge as he got ready to depart for his foreign trip.

At Cendana Street, Chairwoman of the PKPB Tutut Soeharto watched Harmoko’s press conference. Her brother-in-law Prabowo Subianto standing beside her.

“There were four contending for the position for the presidency at the 1998 MPR General Session; yourself, the President, Harmoko and Habibie”, Prabowo said matter-of-factly “Habibie left public life after he lost the chairmanship of ICMI in 2000 and now Harmoko has just announced he’s going to go into the sunset after his term expires on 1st October…”

“And now it’s just me and Mas Try who are left”, Tutut said “The final two.”

----
Sesuai petunjuk Presiden= in accordance with the President’s directive. Harmoko’s OTL catchphrase.

Harmoko is famous in OTL for blindsiding Soeharto with a request to resign in May 1998. Always thought it’d be ironic if ITTL it’s Harmoko that gets blindsided though Try feels guilty about it.

I'm trying to capture Amien's OTL style to maneuver politically and try to position himself as the person with the power in a coalition. This was best seen in OTL in 1999 when it looked like the presidency was going to be contested by Habibie and Megawati, Amien then created a third bloc called the Central Axis which ended up combining with Habibie (after Habibie withdrew) to help Wahid into the presidency.

Also trying to capture Hamzah Haz' opportunistic style. In OTL, before he ended up being Megawati's VP, he was against Megawati being president on account of Megawati's gender.

Signs you're very deep into your TL: All the historical events you refer to are ITTL. There being 4 contenders at the 1998 MPR General Session, Try failing to back Harmoko decisively leading to Tutut winning, the Pancasila Coalition are all ITTL events.

Last edited:
-Chairman of Muhammadiyah Amien Rais is seen visiting Chairman of the Nahdlatul Ulama Abdurrahman Wahid in the evening. Amien lobbied Wahid with the arrangement he had proposed to Harmoko; Harmoko remaining as Chairman of the DPR/MPR, the PPP to nominate Muhammadiyah’s Ali Hardi Kiai Demak to remain as the PPP’s vice chairman of the DPR/MPR. Try as president and an NU member as a vice president.

“Imagine Hamzah Haz…or Matori…or maybe even yourself, Gus, in that spot”, said Amien.
Ha, he played his cards skillfully, indeed. Sumarlin vs Gus Dur would be a tough one for me to stomach if that should've ever happened.
After Meutia had left, Edi would facepalm when the President confessed that he had revealed to Meutia that he planned to place Hamzah in her place. Edi consulted the matter with Harsudiono. The latter said that Hamzah made his comments deliberately. Even if he did not know whether Meutia was aware that he was replacing her or not, Hamzah said that he was more interested in high office rather than a seat around the cabinet table.
Hamzah indeed has a long way to follow on Meutia's footsteps. Maybe on another universe.
Away from all the noise of the PPP National Leadership Meeting though there were still cameras trailing him on account of his position, Harmoko visited the offices of the KPU. He submitted a letter asking to withdraw an earlier letter he had sent to the KPU indicating his willingness to assume a seat in the next DPR. After a little bit of time inside the building, a letter accepting Harmokos’s request was given to him by Chairman of the KPU HBL Mantiri.

Harmoko looked relieved when he emerged out of the KPU Building to front the press with the letter. He only smiled when one member of the press pointed out that by having his request not to assume a DPR seat approved, it meant that Harmoko would be going into retirement.

“The petunjuk is for me to get off the stage”, said Harmoko “And after 1st October, I will be oblige.”
Ah well, at least Harmoko secured a better legacy than OTL.
In a separate press conference later in the day, Edi announced that to “reaffirm his commitment to the PKPI-PPP Coalition”, the President has decided to dissolve the Pancasila Coalition which he had established three years prior and recognize only the PKPI-PPP Coalition as the only coalition that he is a part of.

“The Pancasila Coalition was the President’s initiative to counter the influence of the then-Chairwoman of Golkar by embracing the various other groupings within Golkar, the friendly grouping within the PPP, the Nahdlatul Ulama and Muhammadiyah. Actually this coalition became obsolete the moment Golkar split into the PKPI and the PKPB because the President and Tutut Soeharto is no longer in the same party anymore.”

Elsewhere Amien Rais decided to go on an impromptu holiday and would be unreachable in the next few days. It was all agreed, his way of showing displeasure at how things have turned out.
Serves you right lol
“And now it’s just me and Mas Try who are left”, Tutut said “The final two.”
Seven months left before their another big fight

Niceee!!! Good thing that the next entry feels to be foreign-oriented, which is nice too since we've lacking it for some time already.

Serves you right lol
There’s a bunch of people unhappy with the way that round of political maneuvers went. They’re not going to take it lying down that’s for sure.

Niceee!!! Good thing that the next entry feels to be foreign-oriented, which is nice too since we've lacking it for some time already.
It’s been a busy year foreign policy wise for Try with the Myanmar Coup and him choosing to take in the Overseas Myanmarian League (Official name of Shwe Mann and Co.), but he hasn’t travelled nowhere near as much as 2000 or 2001 due to the Legislative Elections and its aftermath.

But that’s going to change soon. There’s this trip and then there will be the Summit Season:

20th-21st Oct 2002: G-15 Summit at Algiers, Algeria
26th-27th Oct 2002: APEC Summit at Los Cabos, Mexico
5th-6th November 2002: ASEAN Summit at Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Wonder what Try offered to Harmoko to have him all smiles after being told he won't get what he worked for so hard. Not any of high offices if I remember correctly as Try already have those candidates filled. So what?

Wonder what Try offered to Harmoko to have him all smiles after being told he won't get what he worked for so hard. Not any of high offices if I remember correctly as Try already have those candidates filled. So what?
For the moment, it’s just Harmoko putting on a brave face.

Apologies for the lack of update, friends. Still recovering from dengue fever. Watch out for the mosquitoes around you.

193: The United States' Right Hand
31st August 2002:
At Halim Perdanakusuma Airport around dusk and at the head of a large delegation, President Try Sutrisno today departed for his trip to Europe. Before leaving, the President was seen conversing seriously with Vice President JB Sumarlin at the bottom of the aircraft’s stairs.

“Make sure it’s done before the end of the week, I’m counting on you, Mr. Vice President”, said Try before he went up the stairs.

1st September 2002:
Having arrived in the wee hours of the morning at Heathrow Airport, President Try Sutrisno did not waste anytime getting on with his activities. Try spent the morning in a meet and greet at the Indonesian community living in the United Kingdom. There were a lot of Indonesians who made the trip from all around the United Kingdom to see Try and for his part, Try took questions and spoke about various issues.

Try was very heartened with the sentiments shared by those present, namely that Indonesia was being “taken seriously” in Europe. They all expressed their fervent hope that Try would be re-elected in March 2003 and that Tutut’s election to the presidency would mean the potential undoing of the progress that has been made in the last 5 years.

2nd September 2002:
Try’s official engagements got in full flow today. In the morning, he and First Lady Tuti Setiawati visited Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip at Buckingham Palace to receive the official welcome and have the requisite photo-op. From Buckingham Palace, Try headed for the Cabinet Office at Whitehall. There he met and posed for pictures with Prime Minister of the United Kingdom Tony Blair before the two disappeared inside for closed door talks.

Inside the two delegations were ready for a talk. The Indonesian delegation consisted of Minister of Foreign Affairs Ginandjar Kartasasmita, Minister of Economics and National Development Planning Dorodjatun Kuntjoro-Jakti, Minister of Trade Anthony Salim, Minister of Tourism Soeyono, Minister of Health Azrul Azwar, Head of the BKPM Mari Pangestu, and State Secretary Edi Sudrajat.

The British delegation outside of Blair consisted of Chancellor of the Exchequer Jack Straw, Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs Alan Milburn, Secretary of State for Trade and Industry Patricia Hewitt, Secretary of State for Health Charles Clarke and Secretary of State for International Development Clare Short.

The meetings produced a series of agreements which included the following:
-Dorodjatun and Anthony on behalf of Indonesia together with Straw and Hewitt on behalf of the United Kingdom, signed an agreement to form a ministerial-level Joint Economic and Trade Committee. Try and Blair said that both governments agree that economic ties between Indonesia and the United Kingdom needs to be strengthened and deepened.

-Azrul and Clarke signed an MoU to facilitate an exchange program which will allow Indonesian Department of Health officials to learn about how the NHS is operated and funded as part of Indonesia’s own preparations towards establishing a national health insurance.

-Mari to commit the BKPM to facilitate the establishment of more British education consultants in Indonesia; the British keen to tap into Indonesia’s increasing affluence and attract more Indonesians to study in the United Kingdom.

-Soeyono and Hewitt to commit to facilitating more Indonesian tourism promotion in the United Kingdom and promoting the United Kingdom as a tourist destination in Indonesia.

-Straw and Short reaffirmed the United Kingdom’s commitment to providing aid for Indonesia with a focus on the construction of facilities at state primary and secondary school buildings.

After concluding the agreements with the British Government, Try attended a lunch hosted by Britcham Indonesia. In his keynote address, Try said that when he went to visit Europe two years ago, he was looking for investment. This year, he would still be looking for investment, but added that he would like to deepen cooperation on various issues between Indonesia and the nations he will be visiting during the trip. Try finished the day by riding on the Millennium Wheel.

3rd September 2002:
Try’s main agenda for the day was a visit 10 Downing Street where, after posing for pictures outside of Downing Street’s doors, Try disappeared inside with Blair. Try brought Ginandjar, Dorodjatun and Edi with him while Blair brought Milburn and Straw with him.

Blair said that since Try last visited the United Kingdom in May 2000, Indonesia’s stature has increased. Though the Indonesian economy got a mention, Blair acknowledged Indonesia’s strong stance on terrorism and that the disbandment of Jemaah Islamiyah represents a strong blow against international terrorism. Try thanked Blair and said that Indonesia will continue with its stance against terrorism, though not all in the Islamic world are happy about Indonesia’s stance. Blair joked that those in the Islamic world who dislike Indonesia’s stance on terrorism are just worried that they might “actually have to do something” if the world’s largest Islamic nation has shown itself to be decisive on the issue and that this was good because the War on Terror could not be won without the participation of the Islamic world.

The conversation moved on to how both nations saw things on the world affairs. Try said that Indonesia does not bear ill will towards the United Kingdom being the United States’ primary ally and partner in the “New Cold War”. On the “New Cold War”, Blair told Try that he is unhappy at France and Germany for allowing themselves to be wedged apart from the United States and the United Kingdom by Russia under the guise of multipolarism.

Blair moved on by discussing the situation in Southeast Asia and making mention of the “usefulness” of Indonesia’s mobilizing of support in Southeast Asia to check China’s influence; saying that he hopes this will provide China with an additional distraction on top of its various maneuverings on the world stage. Try explained himself saying that he sees China as the main security threat but that he knows Indonesia is not strong enough to take China by itself.

Try took the opportunity to ask Blair whether the United Kingdom had any concerns about Malaysia falling into China’s orbit. Millburn replied saying that unless Malaysia’s relationship with China reaches the realm of military cooperation, the United Kingdom does not have any reason to have concern about Malaysia’s relationship with China. Blair said that in his view, Malaysia would not enter into a military relationship with China because Malaysia is still interested in Five Power Defence Arrangements (FPDA). Blair recalled that at the last Commonwealth Heads of Governments Meeting, Prime Minister of Malaysia Najib Razak has told him that in the event of Malaysia becoming embroiled in a conflict with “a certain nation in the region” which has “hegemonic aspirations”, Malaysia will invoke the FPDA.

“Yeah, that sounds like Najib”, muttered Edi.

“If for whatever reason the situation heats up with Malaysia, it’s going to look from cover from the UK and possibly bring in Australia, New Zealand, and Singapore while they’re at it”, thought Try to himself.

Blair next brought up Australia; noting that Australia and Malaysia were two nations that seemed to have a lot of “complaints” about Indonesia. Millburn said that Australia’s concern about Indonesia seems to run in parallel with Malaysia: Malaysia is concerned about Indonesia’s increasing influence in Southeast Asia and Australia is concerned about Indonesia’s increasing influence in Papua New Guinea.

Try countered by asking what the United Kingdom thought of Australia and Malaysia’s sentiments about Indonesia. Blair replied by cautioning Indonesia against letting things go “far enough” whether it be with Australia or with Malaysia. Indonesia was important to the United Kingdom’s calculation but if things go “far enough”, the United Kingdom has a treaty obligation to side with Australia and Malaysia; Australia also being part of the FPDA.

Ginandjar said that the existence of such agreements is an important reason why Indonesia is not interested in conflict with Malaysia and especially, Australia; that it would be foolish for Indonesia to get into a conflict that forces the United Kingdom into an awkward position.

Try was still not satisfied. He reiterated Indonesia’s desire of wanting to check China’s influence in Southeast Asia and said that from Indonesia’s perspective, China is the main security threat. At the same time however, Indonesia could not concentrate on China if Australia is making “all kinds of noise” behind Indonesia’s back.

Blair says that ultimately the United Kingdom does not wish to be seen to be coming down on Indonesia’s side vis-à-vis Australia as there are “other things” the United Kingdom wishes to do which will require Australia’s support but that Indonesia has struck the right tone by being deferential towards Australia on issues such as Papua New Guinea. On account of Indonesia being of geopolitical value to the United Kingdom in the War on Terror, Blair said that he could at most try to neutralize Australia’s sentiments about Indonesia but told Try again that if push comes to shove it is very likely that the United Kingdom will side with Australia against Indonesia.

Half-jokingly, Try said that if Indonesia is of value to the United Kingdom in the War on Terror perhaps Blair could lobby the White House and secure approval for Indonesia’s desire to purchase 28 F-16s. Blair laughed but said that that would be a matter for the McCain Administration. More seriously, Blair said that with Indonesia having already gotten the 10-year moratorium on debt repayment not to mention the Kidd-Class destroyers, he sees it as a “matter of balance” for the White House.

“You mean we’re getting too strong, right?” Edi said with an annoyed scowl as Try kicked him under the table to keep quiet.

The conversation moved on to precisely the 10-year moratorium on debt repayment. This time Straw spoke up; he said said that there are “some concern” from within the Treasury Department in the United States, the Chancellery of the Exchequer in the United Kingdom, the Canadian Department of Finance and the Australian Treasury about Indonesia. They, in particular the Canadians, believe that given that Indonesia will not be making debt repayments for 10 years that Indonesia should urgently liberalize trade, lower tariffs, and open the door to investment so that there will be clear “financial benefits” for allowing Indonesia the moratorium on debt repayments.

That was cue for Dorodjatun to speak up. He said that the financial benefits for the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia is that Indonesia is not looking to overturn the existing economic order the way the way others in the Third World are saying. He said that Indonesia might not do things “to the letter” but by in large, the way Indonesia manages its economy is in line with the way Washington and London expects economic policy to be conducted.

“We’re the world’s largest Islamic nation, we just got done breaking the back of a radical organization and banning it in our country, and it’s not safe to be a terrorist or a radical in our country”, Try cheerfully, suddenly, and sarcastically interjected “I apologize if we’re not of any more benefit to you or the White House.”

Hoping to end on a positive note, Try thanked the British Government for the delivery of the BaE Hawk which rounds off Indonesia’s purchase of 40 BaE Hawks since 1993. He also acknowledged British Petroleum’s contribution to the construction of EXOR III, remarking that BP has now edged ahead in front of Aramco when it came to construction of Indonesia’s export-oriented oil refineries.

At the joint press conference afterwards, Try found himself largely ignored. The press was mostly interested about the United Kingdom’s, and the United States’, intentions towards the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. Blair only repeated that “we are keeping an eye on Yugoslavia and the Milosevic Regime”. When asked about the leadership challenge that former Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs Gordon Brown is mounting because he did not want to potentially inherit a war from Blair, Blair said that he did not want to discuss party matters.

4th September 2002:
Try spent the day visiting two British institutions. The morning saw him, accompanied by Azrul, visiting the NHS’ London Offices. After a meeting and a discussion session with CEO of NHS England Nigel Crisp, Try and Azrul toured St. Mary’s Hospital London. Both Try and Azrul asked doctors, nurses, and patients alike about the NHS. At the conclusion of their tour, Try spoke to the press saying that for the last three decades Indonesia has built plenty of medical clinics and hospitals across the country and can be said to have made an achievement in that regard. The next goal for Indonesia is the implementation of a national healthcare system with a national health insurance at the center of it.

From the hospitals, Try and the Indonesian delegation headed to the Broadcasting House, the Headquarters of the BBC. Try taped an interview saying that the purpose of his trip both to the United Kingdom and elsewhere in Europe is to learn. After taping the interview, Try toured the BBC Headquarters accompanied by Edi. He was most struck by the fact that the BBC is both a radio and television broadcasting service and wondered if something similar could be done with the TVRI and the RRI.

The final engagement of the trip to the United Kingdom was at Buckingham Palace where the Queen hosted a State Dinner in Try’s honor.

Back at the hotel, Try sat down with Ginandjar and Edi to review how the visit went.

“So Blair appreciates our usefulness but can’t help us with nations giving us some grief and will in fact side with them if anything happens”, said Edi in a frustrated tone “That’s pretty much how it is.”

“Well, we’ve done our part in the War on Terror though it’s probably expecting too much that we become part of the McCain-Blair-Costello-Martin loop”, said Ginandjar “I’m just surprised that they all of a sudden started to expect something in return economically for the moratorium on debt repayments.”

Try chuckled to himself.

“That’s why we can’t limit ourselves to agreeing and doing things the United States or the United Kingdom’s way; it defeats the purpose of a free and active foreign policy”, said Try "Let's get some rest. We have another country to visit in the morning."

---
And off we go on a foreign trip. The convo between Try and Blair just expanded beyond what was originally expected and I just decided to “go along”.

If in OTL, the US' main allies in the War On Terror are the UK and Australia, ITTL the US' main allies are the UK, Australia, and Canada.

The FPDA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Power_Defence_Arrangements

UK’s off-screen happenings: Blair gets re-elected PM in 2001, Brown becomes Foreign Secretary, Blair together with McCain begins to show signs that he wants to finish off Milosevic, Brown resigns a few months before this trip because he doesn’t want to potentially inherit Blair’s war, Brown challenges Blair for the Labour leadership.

Wonder where Try is headed next? The only hint I'm giving is that this trip is going to be a very different trip when compared to the trip to Africa to sell FMCGs. There’s going to be plenty of geopolitical stuff between Try and the leaders he’s going to meet.

From the hospitals, Try and the Indonesian delegation headed to the Broadcasting House, the Headquarters of the BBC. Try taped an interview saying that the purpose of his trip both to the United Kingdom and elsewhere in Europe is to learn. After taping the interview, Try toured the BBC Headquarters accompanied by Edi. He was most struck by the fact that the BBC is both a radio and television broadcasting service and wondered if something similar could be done with the TVRI and the RRI.
SRI (Siaran Republik Indonesia) by the end of 2003? Would be nice
-Azrul and Clarke signed an MoU to facilitate an exchange program which will allow Indonesian Department of Health officials to learn about how the NHS is operated and funded as part of Indonesia’s own preparations towards establishing a national health insurance.
JKN one year earlier? Sign me up!
“So Blair appreciates our usefulness but can’t help us with nations giving us some grief and will in fact side with them if anything happens”, said Edi in a frustrated tone “That’s pretty much how it is.”

“Well, we’ve done our part in the War on Terror though it’s probably expecting too much that we become part of the McCain-Blair-Costello-Martin loop”, said Ginandjar “I’m just surprised that they all of a sudden started to expect something in return economically for the moratorium on debt repayments.”
Just hoping that Blair manages to ease off both Najib and Reith's paranoia for the next year.
ITTL the US' main allies are the UK, Australia, and Canada.
Wait, what happened in Canada that drive them to take a principal part ITTL?
Wonder where Try is headed next? The only hint I'm giving is that this trip is going to be a very different trip when compared to the trip to Africa to sell FMCGs. There’s going to be plenty of geopolitical stuff between Try and the leaders he’s going to meet.
Three guesses from me then, either Yugoslav FR (Serbia and Montenegro), Sweden, or Germany. Thanks for the update.

He was most struck by the fact that the BBC is both a radio and television broadcasting service and wondered if something similar could be done with the TVRI and the RRI.
This is it. What we've all been waiting for.... Streamlining 🤤

JKN one year earlier? Sign me up!
It will be a pretty complicated thing to set up. One thing's for sure, because there's no decentralization there won't be the various health insurance programs in the provinces and the regencies.

I'll take JKN under consideration. Perhaps Askesnas. For sure I don't want to call it the BPJS.

Wait, what happened in Canada that drive them to take a principal part ITTL?
Chretien retires early in 2000. Martin takes over as PM 3 years earlier than OTL. He's of the same party of Chretien but seen to be more right wing than Chretien.

This is it. What we've all been waiting for.... Streamlining 🤤
It's an idea that's been floating around in OTL for quite some time but somehow they never get around to doing it . https://ditjenpp.kemenkumham.go.id/...rri-tvri-melalui-uu-rtri&catid=111&Itemid=179

194: The Rooster
5th September 2002:
The morning saw President Try Sutrisno and the Indonesian delegation travel across the Channel by train before arriving at the Gare Du Nord Station in Paris, France. After being welcomed at the train station by French Minister of Foreign Affairs Dominique de Villepin, Try’s motorcade travelled to Elysee Palace where he was given a welcoming ceremony by President of France Alain Juppe. Once the photo-op was finished, it was time for a talk as Juppe asked Try to join him at the Golden Room.

Once Try, Minister of Foreign Affairs Ginandjar Kartasasmita, and State Secretary Edi Sudrajat got done reminding themselves of the luxurious surroundings which they had previously visited with Chirac, Juppe was ready to talk. Juppe saw his and France’s position as advocating for a multipolar world but said that multipolar does not mean always taking a for or against position against certain countries, but rather sometimes being in support and sometimes against as the situation calls for it. Try would tell Juppe that he saw France’s position as being similar to Indonesia’s “free and active” foreign policy.

Ginandjar asked Juppe and de Villepin what would France’s position be as regards Yugoslavia. Juppe said that it’s been “obvious” for some time what the United States of America and the United Kingdom’s intentions are towards Yugoslavia and towards its president Slobodan Milosevic. De Villepin said that unless the United States and the United Kingdom can find legitimate grounds and approval from the United Nations for military action, France will not give its support.

On economic issues, Juppe said that he has heard of some rumblings from within the CGI nations about how the 10-year moratorium on debt repayment should result in accelerated trade liberalization and economic reform on Indonesia’s part. To Try’s relief, Juppe dismissed this as the foursome of the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, and Canada trying throw their weight around. Juppe said that France’s own economy is far from free market, that both Indonesia’s economic performance and economic management is sound, and that with sections of the Islamic world still unenthusiastic about the War on Terror there should not be any question about the 10-year moratorium on debt repayment. Try explained that even with extra funds being freed up from the repayment of debt, the Indonesian government’s aim has been to maintain economically responsible policies though a “by the letter” approach to economic policy is impossible.

The conversation moved on to the War on Terror and de Villepin praised Indonesia’s “resolution” in the War of Terror. Try used the opportunity to promote Pancasila, saying that ideology is what has helped Indonesia battle what it defines as the Extreme Right. De Villepin asked whether Indonesia has considered grouping together with nations who are likeminded in attitude towards radicalism.

“At the G-15 next month, Algeria has invited Egypt, Nigeria, Senegal, Pakistan, Malaysia and ourselves to sit down together and discuss these matters” replied Ginandjar.

De Villepin said that perhaps another nation for Indonesia’s consideration is Turkey, though Turkey is not in the G-15.

Then the conversation took an unexpected turn. What began as Juppe and de Villepin trying to guess where exactly in the world Indonesia was, with Try and Ginandjar helping, ended with them realizing that Indonesia was “quite close” to France’s Pacific Territories in Oceania. Edi would later swear he saw the wheels turn in Ginandjar’s head at this. Ginandjar asked Juppe and de Villepin what was France’s presence in the Pacific like to which they replied 4,000 personnel in New Caledonia, French Polynesia, and the Wallis and Futuna Islands. Then Edi swore he could see the wheels also turn in Try’s head as the latter casually quipped that France as a “prominent nation in the world” has legitimate interests that warrants a presence larger than that in the Pacific. Juppe and the de Villepin smiled and laughed off the comments but were clearly thinking about the implications of what was being said.

That night, Try attended a Chambre de Commerce et D’Industrie (CCI) dinner. Delivering a keynote speech in front of French and Indonesian businessmen, Try said that it has become very vital for Indonesia to deepen its relationship with France and with other European nations across various areas of cooperation.

“I do not believe that the current period in world history is a New Cold War but is instead a Multipolar Moment. And that the European Union as a collective or its individual nations, such as France, is one of the poles in this multipolar world”, Try said.

6th September 2002:
The morning saw Try arrive at the Hotel Matignon accompanied by Ginandjar Kartasasmita, Minister of Defense and Security Wismoyo Arismunandar (who joins the delegation in Paris), Minister of Economics and National Development Planning Dorodjatun Kuntjoro-Jakti, Minister of Trade Anthony Salim, Minister of Tourism Soeyono, Head of BKPM Mari Pangestu, and Edi Sudrajat.

Across the table were Prime Minister of France Jean Pierre Rafarrin who were accompanied by de Villepin, Minister of Defense Michelle Alliot-Marie, Minister of Economy, Finance, and Industry Francis Mer, and Minister of Culture and Communication Jean Jacques Aillagon. The results of the meeting included the following:

Try and Rafarrin signed an MoU committing Indonesia and France to deepening cooperation with a focus of trade and investment, education, and culture.

Dorodjatun and Mer signed an agreement which would result in the French Government providing technical assistance and aid to the construction of the Trans-Sulawesi Railway starting with the Ujung Pandang-Pare-Pare Route.

Soeyono and Aillagon signed an agreement which would see the construction and establishment of the Institut Francais d’Indonesie, a French cultural institute, in Jakarta.

The highlight fell to Wismoyo and Alliot-Marie. The two ministers of defense signed an agreement which would see Indonesia purchase 50 VAB armored personnel carriers from France to add to the 50 VAB already in the ABRI’s possession at the moment. Wismoyo was very pleased with the agreement though he would tell the Indonesian press corps who had come on the visit that there would be “more toys” before the trip was over.

After Friday Prayer, Try paid his respects at the tomb of deceased President of France Jacques Chirac, Try laid a wreath and saluted the tomb.

7th September 2002:
Try and the Indonesian delegation today visited an Asian Furniture Exhibition at the Paris-Nord Exhibition Center where there were a lot of Indonesian furniture exporters participating in the exhibition. Try asked the furniture exporters if they had to to pay “extra” to be able to participate but ended up looking approvingly when all the participants said that the Indonesian Embassy in Paris’ officials had been working hard to ensure that as many Indonesian exporters as possible could participate in the exhibition.

Much to the disappointment of the Indonesian paricipants in the exhibition, Try did not stick around for long. He and Edi were the first to return to the hotel where Chief of ABRI Intelligence Agency Amirul Isnaeni and his men had finished setting up a secure line.

It was Vice President JB Sumarlin calling from Jakarta. Sumarlin reported that he had just spent the day in a meeting with Minister of Industry Siswono Yudohusodo and Minister of Agriculture Sarwono Kusumaatmadja. Sumarlin said that the two ministers were both ready to overcome their concerns about the resumption of AFTA.

Sumarlin said that both ministers wanted Try and Sumarlin’s commitment to support their sectors of the economy when AFTA resumes. For Siswono, this means accelerating the issuing of national export-quality standards for manufactured goods so that the Department of Industry can begin guiding producers to achieve these standards. Siswono also requested assistant for investment promotion in manufacturing so that Indonesia does not simply rely on imported materials from around Southeast Asia once AFTA resumes.

Sarwono was keener on AFTA saying that tariff reductions will drive down the price of food. But at the same time, Sarwono asked for a commitment by the government to “decisively” push farmers into adding value to their produce (“More orange juice, orange candy, canned orange drinks instead of raw oranges”) as a way to cope with the increased competition in various foodstuffs from the increased import.

Try gave his approval and acceptance to Siswono and Sarwono’s requests which were delivered through Sumarlin saying that this was in line with his thought that the resumption of AFTA should not disadvantage Indonesia.

8th September 2002:
At a joint press conference at the Indonesian Embassy in Paris, Dorodjatun, Ginandjar, and Edi announced to the Indonesian press corps that the President has instructed relevant ministers and officials across the department and agencies to formulate a proposal for the resumption of AFTA to be presented at the ASEAN Summit this November.

The economic side of things was covered by Dorodjatun who explained that prices and production costs would be lowered, that the Indonesian economy can be more productive and that there will be greater access to Southeast Asian markets for Indonesian exports. When asked by the press whether the resumption of AFTA also meant a resumption of opening the Indonesian markets to Southeast Asian imports, Dorodjatun focused on the opportunity of AFTA saying that Indonesia will generate economic growth both for itself and for the region.

During his turn, Ginandjar said that he had spent the previous night informing governments around Southeast Asia about Indonesia’s intentions including Myanmar via its embassy in Bangkok. In particular he contacted Prime Minister of Cambodia Hun Sen, Cambodia being the host and chair of the ASEAN Summit, asking him to place discussions about the possible resumption of AFTA on the agenda at the ASEAN Summit in November. When asked whether Indonesia was once again making a bid for regional leadership in Southeast Asia, Ginandjar said if Indonesia was to become the leader in Southeast Asia it would be because others have acknowledged it as such not because it has continued to self-proclaim that it is the leader.

Back at the hotel where he was staying, Try together with Wismoyo had breakfast with executives from Dassault, Thales, Renault, Naval Group, and Safran, in other words the top executives from the French defense industry, at a ballroom. After the meal, Try and Wismoyo walked around the small stands set up by the defense companies all of which promoted the products which they sold. Try spent the longest time at Naval Group’s stand asking questions about the Charles De Gaulle Aircraft Carrier it built for the French Navy. The consensus Try and Wismoyo would get from the breakfast was that Indonesia’s push to build up its military means that it is seen as an increasingly lucrative market for the world’s defense industry, including the French defense industry.

“How are the preparations for the next part of the trip?” asked Try.

“Our hosts have been generous enough in negotiations to the point that all we have to do now is specify the quantity, Mr. President”, replied Wismoyo “It’s our officers that need to make up their mind.”

Try tsked.

“I’d stayed out of interfering because I thought they’re the ones that need to make up their mind because they’re ones that actually need to use the equipment”, he said.

“Perhaps some intervention is necessary, Mr. President”, suggested Wismoyo “The Commander of ABRI and his delegation have already been there since Friday. I’m sure they will be keen to hear what you have to say.”

Try then hopped in the car and went to the Elysee Palace for a farewell call with Juppe. He returned to the topic of France possibly increasing its presence in the Pacific Ocean; repeating his statement that France has legitimate interests overseas and is “sufficiently powerful” nation to project its power to the other side of the globe. Juppe smiled and said that it was not that France had not thought about it either.

Then it was off to Charles De Gaulle Airport, the Presidential Airplane and next leg of the journey. On the Presidential Airplane, the mood was unquestionably more positive than at the end of the visit of the United Kingdom. The announcement of Indonesia’s intention to put AFTA back on the agenda had buoyed the mood of the Indonesian delegation though Edi’s happiness was tempered by a measure of curiosity.

“You and the Minister of Foreign Affairs trying to get Juppe warmed up to the idea of increasing France’s presence in the Pacific Ocean”, began Edi “That’s not in any of the preparation for the French visit, Mr. President.”

“It’s not”, replied Try “We were both improvising.”

Edi looked at Try with a look that said he was listening.

“What’s our current dilemma? China is our main security threat but the events of recent months suggests that we can’t just turn our backs on Australia whatever their reason is for making a fuss or trying to pick a fight or whatever” explained Try “And as we’ve found out at Downing Street, if things get heated with them, the Aussies are the ones with the powerful friends. Then the question becomes, why don’t we get some powerful friends of our own in Oceania?”

“So you want to get France to increase their presence in the Pacific to counter Australia?” asked Edi.

“At the very least to get them more involved that they start to feel they have the right to make some noise if necessary and have that noise be in our favor”, said Try “We’re no threat to them, their territories are far away enough from us.”

There was silence in the room.

“You have to raise a hat to the Vice President”, Try started “It’s no mean feat to get both Siswono and Sarwono to comply at the same time, I was worried he wouldn’t be able to do it.”

Edi chuckled.

“Well, if you’ve been following the word on the street, Mr. President, the Minister of Industry and the Minister of Agriculture have thrown their support behind the Vice President for a second term”, said Edi “Their jumping on board with AFTA is most likely their way of showing their confidence in the Vice President.”

It was mid-afternoon when the Presidential Airplane touched down at its destination. Try and First Lady Tuti Setiawati stepped down from the aircraft and received flowers from a boy and a girl. Tuti kissed the children and Try patted them on the head as they stepped back to give their greetings.

Wilkommen in Deutschland!” they said in unison.

---
France’s off-screen happenings: Chirac gets assassinated on Bastille Day by Maxime Brunerie, Juppe wins the resulting presidential elections.

De Villepin praising Indonesia on its stance in the War on Terror and urging it to group together with likeminded nations is a nod at the strong stance his OTL self took to counter radical Islam https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...f-islam/9cd94374-bc8c-47cf-a12c-ba4df5b4e624/

The number of 4000 French troops stationed in its overseas pacific territories is based on https://www.google.co.id/books/edit...cific+territories&pg=PA30&printsec=frontcover

Intermezzo: Regarding MBTs
8th September 2002:
What was dubbed by the press as the “Wiranto Mission” left Indonesia a day after President Try Sutrisno left for his European trip. The name was a reference to the “Nasution Mission” and the “Yani Mission” in the early 60s which saw the two aforementioned officers travel around both the Western and Eastern Blocs to purchase weapons for the West Irian campaign. The present mission, led by Commander of ABRI Wiranto, would not procure weapons the way those esteemed officers did. Instead, their task was to identify which weapons could possibly be procured by ABRI in the future. To this end the officers had travelled to South Korea and Turkey before arriving in Germany two days before the President was due to arrive.

The trip brought the officers, representing all four branches of ABRI plus ABRI Headquarters itself, in close contact with each other. While conflict would be too strong a word, this close contact exacerbated a difference in opinion in the officer corps, in particular the Army: about whether or not Indonesia needed to have a main battle tank (MBT).

The Department of Defense and Security and their counterparts in Germany had negotiated and simulated the prices to the point that, as Minister of Defense and Security Wismoyo Arismunandar was fond of saying, all ABRI had to do was specify the combined quantity of Leopard MBTs and Marder IFVs they intended to purchase. But even as President Try was given his welcome ceremony by President of Germany Johannes Rau, the officers were nowhere close to agreement.

At the Indonesian Embassy in Berlin that night, the President accompanied by Wismoyo and Wiranto commandeered a meeting room and sat down with the officers. The President listened to the various views of the officers and then outlined his views in an impromptu speech:

“Minister of Defense and Security, Commander of ABRI, officers from the ABRI Headquarters and the four branches of ABRI,

I thank you all for your fortrightness in outlining your views and now the time has come for me to outline my views.

First and foremost, we will continue with the conversion of some of the Army’s infantry units into mechanized infantry. This is a course to which we have committed to for some time. We obtained 50 VABs, on top of which we have procured another 50 just two days ago in France, and the Pindad has developed APCs. The Police has expressed interest to have some APCs to support the Brimob and this is being strongly considered too.

And now we are beginning to see the results. The Army now has its first mechanized infantry battalion with two more in the pipeline. This is a program we have committed ourselves to and which we will continue for the future. Expect more APCs and Infantry Fighting Vehicles (IFVs).

As to the question at hand, officers, my answer is yes, ABRI will need an MBT in its inventory and that we should not leave Germany without having purchased some Leopard MBTs. I understand completely the argument that was made that the MBT is not suitable for the Indonesian terrain but ultimately, our need for an MBT at the present time trumps such geographical considerations. And regarding geographical considerations, in due time, I believe that we will find away to utilize and maximize the Leopard’s capabilities with the geography and terrain that we have.

My reasoning for why ABRI needs an MBT is not because we have never had an MBT in the past, though that is part of it. It’s not because of prestige; that we will be the first in Southeast Asia, in our region, to have an MBT in its possession though I’m sure that will be the focus for some people. My reason for ABRI obtaining an MBT is for the purpose of deterrence.

I have just been at the United Kingdom where the argument was given to me that as valuable as we are strategically for the United Kingdom in the present international environment, they are obliged by treaty to intervene on the side of Malaysia and Australia in the event that we have an escalation in our situation with either of those two countries.

The United Kingdom are correct, of course, but where does that leave us? Malaysia and Australia may be the one to provoke a situation but they’re the ones that can run for cover and we’re the one left exposed. I confess that before a few days ago I would have come down on the side of minimal MBTs in favor of purchasing IFVs for the continued development of our mechanized infantry.

Now it doesn’t mean that we’re now going to go out and look for a fight when we get these tanks. Not at all. We will continue to avoid conflict with Malaysia, Australia or other nations but these other nations will have to think carefully if they want to provoke a situation with us. Just to give an example, these tanks are Leopard 2s. Australia’s MBT are Leopard 1s. I don’t want to get into a fight with Australia but I am confident that these Leopards will be nice to have as far making Australia or Malaysia think if they want to get on the wrong side of us.

So the mechanization process will continue, which is why I expect that we will still purchase the Marder IFVs, but owing to the assessment I have made, there must be room for the Leopards there as well. I will leave it you to determine the quantities of the respective purchases. My expectation is that there will still be more IFVs than MBTs when the dust settles.

Consider that my two cents, but consider that also as my order in my capacity as your constitutional Supreme Commander.”

Excerpt From: Collected Speeches of President Try Sutrisno: 1998-2003

---
Didn’t want to take up space in the actual chapter where Try visits Germany so I’m putting this post here.

This is pretty much a miniature version of the debate that OTL Indonesia had about the purchase of Leopard 2. I felt that ITTL, this debate would exist but only internally within ABRI. And also because the OTL version of TB Hasanuddin (ITTL Army Chief of Staff) was someone who was against the OTL procurement of Leopard 2s though eventually he also agreed. But I always like to have ITTL people have “echoes” of their OTL personalities. http://beritahankam.blogspot.com/2012/01/tb-hasanuddin-geografis-indonesia-tidak.html

In OTL, Indonesia has its first mechanized infantry battalion in 2010. I don’t know where OTL ABRI/TNI were going prior to that with mechanized infantry but they were purchasing VABs prior to the crisis (famously used to patrol Jakarta during May 1998 riots) and the Pindad were working on prototype APCs during the crisis. As with other projects ITTL, the process is accelerated with regards to APCs. ITTL, ABRI has 150 of these boys https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pindad_APR-1V

On the Aussies having Leopard 1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanks_in_the_Australian_Army#Post_Cold_War_to_the_present

ITTL Indonesia will be the first SE Asian nation to have an MBT. OTL it was Malaysia.

The debate was mostly of, should we get the Leopard 2s or something lighter that we can upgunned to the 120mm, because at the time there was a cry for modernization with aircraft crashes and the danger of the lack of spare parts for existing vehicles