If even one early encirclement in Barbarossa had been avoided, would the Soviets win a year early?

Deleted member 97083

If the Soviets had escaped just one of the major early encirclements in Barbarossa, such as Bialystok-Minsk, Smolensk, Luga, Galacia, Kiev, or Vyazma-Bryansk, and saved most of those troops, tanks, and guns to continue to bog down and slow the German invasion which was already overstretched by late August 1941--then would the Soviet Union and Allies have won in 1944 or earlier?

Deleted member 1487

Depends which one and why. Say if it is the Vyazma-Bryansk pocket in October because Hitler opts not to launch Typhoon and goes on the defensive. That may not necessarily turn out to shorten anything, though it saves about 1 million Soviet troops. They probably get frittered away over the winter and don't wear the Germans down nearly as much as the OTL winter counter offensive, nor put them in a precarious spot, while the Germans then have time to get ready for winter and get their logistics in order. If it is any of the earlier pockets, then that could derail all the others and change the entire course of the 1941 campaign, so you need a good reason why they don't happen so we could figure out how things would play out from there. Ultimately there can be no generic answer as the specifics of why and which pockets are avoided changes things differently throughout the course of the war.

Deleted member 97083

Depends which one and why. Say if it is the Vyazma-Bryansk pocket in October because Hitler opts not to launch Typhoon and goes on the defensive. That may not necessarily turn out to shorten anything, though it saves about 1 million Soviet troops. They probably get frittered away over the winter and don't wear the Germans down nearly as much as the OTL winter counter offensive, nor put them in a precarious spot, while the Germans then have time to get ready for winter and get their logistics in order. If it is any of the earlier pockets, then that could derail all the others and change the entire course of the 1941 campaign, so you need a good reason why they don't happen so we could figure out how things would play out from there. Ultimately there can be no generic answer as the specifics of why and which pockets are avoided changes things differently throughout the course of the war.
Well, Bialystok is nigh impossible to save. But Minsk is distant enough to be saved.

All the other encirclements are far enough away in distance from the Curzon Line and far enough in time from June 22 that different movements could have allowed the Soviets to avoid the encirclement, or break out.

For example, maybe the Soviets could have baited the Germans into getting stuck in Pripyet Marshes by maneuvering their line and retreating in such a way that there was an obvious (contrived) "vulnerable" point at the western end of the marshes, encouraging the Germans to attack into them, while Soviets reallocate their forces to the north and south sides of the marshes. While Bialystok-Minsk would be doomed (this would probably be an extension of retreating Soviet forces from the area between Bialystok and Minsk, retreating back into the marshes), this might slow down Army Group Center enough that the other encirclements by Army Group Center would be prevented or preventable.

That aside, Smolensk is definitely preventable, it's not even in Belarus but in Russia, so different movements, Soviets holding the surrounding roads and rail a bit longer, or an early retreat could lead to Soviet forces saving their forces from the area.

The Romanians had minimal armor and the Germans took a while to actually advance in Ukraine. So if Army Group South gets slowed down in pretty much any way, the Kiev encirclement can be prevented.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 97083

Anyone else have thoughts on this scenario? Am I wrong with my suggestions about Soviet possibilities to slow the Germans?

I'm unsure the Red Army staff at the corps, army, and army group, were up to anything like what you describe. They were having a lot of trouble that summer just organizing defense zones, retreats, and deployment of arriving reservists.

ATP45

Banned
If the Soviets had escaped just one of the major early encirclements in Barbarossa, such as Bialystok-Minsk, Smolensk, Luga, Galacia, Kiev, or Vyazma-Bryansk, and saved most of those troops, tanks, and guns to continue to bog down and slow the German invasion which was already overstretched by late August 1941--then would the Soviet Union and Allies have won in 1944 or earlier?
No.Soviet almost lost,becouse soldiers run or surrender without fight - poor fools thought,thet germans are cyvilized folks from 1 world war.Then Adolf the idiot win war for soviets,massacring prisoners.After that,they start to fight.Soviets had 34 millions of men they could send to front,so losing or gaining one million changed nothing.

I'm unsure the Red Army staff at the corps, army, and army group, were up to anything like what you describe. They were having a lot of trouble that summer just organizing defense zones, retreats, and deployment of arriving reservists.

Only recently have I gained some small insight into how war is planned and waged at these higher levels of organization. It is not an easy task. That's why I don't think the war could be shortened by a year. Major offensives can only be scheduled at certain times; what the OP is asking is to ramp up Operation Bagration by a year. I don't think that would have happened. Nor do I think STAVKA could have rescued any pocket once it was fully encircled. Nor do I think they wanted to. It seems like Stalin believed everyone who was captured was a "former Russian" who deserved his fate. So to speak, why spill blood to bail out a pocket of encircled cowards?

Does WW2, or history in general, afford any examples of pockets that successfully broke out or were rescued? I may be missing something, but as far as I can remember, encirclement always leads to the surrender of the encircled troops. It seems a disease that can be prevented but never cured.

Deleted member 97083

Only recently have I gained some small insight into how war is planned and waged at these higher levels of organization. It is not an easy task. That's why I don't think the war could be shortened by a year. Major offensives can only be scheduled at certain times; what the OP is asking is to ramp up Operation Bagration by a year. I don't think that would have happened. Nor do I think STAVKA could have rescued any pocket once it was fully encircled. Nor do I think they wanted to. It seems like Stalin believed everyone who was captured was a "former Russian" who deserved his fate. So to speak, why spill blood to bail out a pocket of encircled cowards?

Does WW2, or history in general, afford any examples of pockets that successfully broke out or were rescued? I may be missing something, but as far as I can remember, encirclement always leads to the surrender of the encircled troops. It seems a disease that can be prevented but never cured.
Well to avoid some of the encirclements it doesn't require a breakout after the encirclement has occurred. Just have earlier retreats occur in the right areas, or have Germans fail in certain offensives slowing them down weeks later. Barbarossa was a massive operation, any little change would have much larger effects later on.

The 101st Airborne would like a word with you.

That aside, Smolensk is definitely preventable, it's not even in Belarus but in Russia, so different movements, Soviets holding the surrounding roads and rail a bit longer, or an early retreat could lead to Soviet forces saving their forces from the area.

While preventing the Smolensk pocket might be achievable, the Germans only claimed capturing ˜49,000 POW in the pocket itself.
That would be a drop in the bucket, and certainly wouldn't shorten the war by a year.

Deleted member 97083

While preventing the Smolensk pocket might be achievable, the Germans only claimed capturing ˜49,000 POW in the pocket itself.
That would be a drop in the bucket, and certainly wouldn't shorten the war by a year.
Well according to the Wiki article for German encirclements with 1 source for the number, and the article for Battle of Smolensk with 2 sources for the number. The Battle of Smolensk (1941) had 300,000-310,000 Soviet troops captured, 3,205 tanks destroyed or captured, and 3,120 guns destroyed or captured. Alternatively, 1,348-3,273 tanks and guns combined destroyed but not captured.

The Germans did indeed claim north of 300,000 POW in the battle of Smolensk (Roslavl included) (which by their definition ended in early August).
Of those 49,000 was captured inside the Smolensk pocket - the rest was captured outside the Smolensk pocket.

So maybe some of these individual pocket battles weren't as important after all?

The 101st Airborne would like a word with you.

"We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded." I suppose you mean Bastogne; I had forgotten that. Intentionally punching a hole behind enemy lines and fighting until relieved is different than an encirclement, which is something a commander never wants to happen. Being encircled means you have been outmaneuvered and out-leadered. Using paratroops to seize initiative and turning a pocket into a salient is... it's an encirclement in reverse, with a pocket opening up and being swallowed by the front instead of forming and getting swallowed by the enemy.

Still, it's an example of troops fighting from surrounded to not-surrounded, so in a sense it does count.

Deleted member 97083

The Germans did indeed claim north of 300,000 POW in the battle of Smolensk (Roslavl included) (which by their definition ended in early August).
Of those 49,000 was captured inside the Smolensk pocket - the rest was captured outside the Smolensk pocket.

So maybe some of these individual pocket battles weren't as important after all?
How many tanks and guns were captured inside the pocket?

Deleted member 1487

Mogliev could have been bigger had the 2nd Panzer army and 2nd army not decided to let the Soviets go (abandoning their heavy equipment in the process) to save the casualties. Instead then spending them and then some on holding the Yelnya Bridgehead. Smolensk of course could have been much greater had it been properly closed and the proper pressure applied sooner to get Soviet troops to surrender rather than continue to fight to get to the Golden Bridge out of the pocket until about August. Certainly there were many miss pocket liquidation chances on the road to Smolensk, some that would have probably been more important to close than Smolensk even (at the time it was).

Certainly there were many miss pocket liquidation chances on the road to Smolens

You win some, you lose some.
Given the scope and fluidity of the campaign in '41, the Germans were bound to get some pockets somewhere. If it was Smolensk and Uman or somewhere else matters little in the big picture.
Looking at the 10-day German POW-count (from the start of the campaign until early November , you would be hard pressed to identify any pocket except the Kiev and Viaz'ma-Briansk pockets.
And those two would still be considered big pockets even if the Soviets had started a retreat earlier - simply because of the size of the battle.

Deleted member 97083

Mogliev could have been bigger had the 2nd Panzer army and 2nd army not decided to let the Soviets go (abandoning their heavy equipment in the process) to save the casualties. Instead then spending them and then some on holding the Yelnya Bridgehead. Smolensk of course could have been much greater had it been properly closed and the proper pressure applied sooner to get Soviet troops to surrender rather than continue to fight to get to the Golden Bridge out of the pocket until about August. Certainly there were many miss pocket liquidation chances on the road to Smolensk, some that would have probably been more important to close than Smolensk even (at the time it was).
Well, that's a good point. But there should be an informal internet law (like "Godwin's Law") where on Alternatehistory.com, the longer a discussion of the Allied side in WWII continues, the probability that someone will instead mention a way it could have gone better for the Axis approaches 1.

The Germans report states 736 tanks and 763 artillery pieces inside the pocket.
Hmm okay. So I guess that that encirclement wasn't as important as I had thought.

Deleted member 1487

Well, that's a good point. But there should be an informal internet law (like "Godwin's Law") where on Alternatehistory.com, the longer a discussion of the Allied side in WWII continues, the probability that someone will instead mention a way it could have gone better for the Axis approaches 1.
And vice versa