How could I explain the existence of an ethnically and culturally Japanese Hainan?

In my alt-history project, the island of Hainan is an independent nation that is both ethnically and culturally Japanese. It is also a monarchy, ruled by a currently unnamed clan that has reigned over the island for 756 years as of 2016, this means that this independent Japanese-Hainan Kingdom was established in 1260 A.D.

I think I can explain how this clan remains in power for 756 years but first I need to come up with an explanation for how Hainan became ethnically and culturally Japanese in the 13th Century.

Any ideas?

In my alt-history project, the island of Hainan is an independent nation that is both ethnically and culturally Japanese. It is also a monarchy, ruled by a currently unnamed clan that has reigned over the island for 756 years as of 2016, this means that this independent Japanese-Hainan Kingdom was established in 1260 A.D.

I think I can explain how this clan remains in power for 756 years but first I need to come up with an explanation for how Hainan became ethnically and culturally Japanese in the 13th Century.

Any ideas?
The question is why Hainan over nearer Formosa?

Kyushu to Hainan is about 2500 km. For reference, Kyushu to Okinawa is 930 km and Japan didn't subjugate it as a tributary until the 1600s, with Japanese settlement happening mostly after its formal annexation into the Japanese Empire in 1879.

Maybe the Iberians/Dutch get there first and prevent settlement
The PoD is pre-1260. None of the European nations had the naval tech or prowess to circumnavigate Africa or cross Cape Horn at this point, let alone reach China with an army and settler population.

this means that this independent Japanese-Hainan Kingdom was established in 1260 A.D.
Bit early for Wokou and for the OTL Japanese and Ryukyuan traders and travelers in SEA like Tenjiku Tokubei and Yamada Nagamasa.

However--
There are events within the Kamakura shogunate that could cause some group of Japanese to be exiled, or else forcibly deported. The Mongols did a lot of ethnic reshuffling, sending officials to govern an area and letting them recruit trusted compatriots. Arabs, Persians, and Turks thus numbered among the administrators of Yuan Yunnan, and were the progenitors of a Muslim community there.

A Mongol conquest of Japan could see a collaborationist clan of Japanese soldiers or sailors be dispatched to continue their services to the Khan's navy in a newly constructed base to the far south, on a formerly barbarous island, where they will help police the South China Sea and terrorize the Malays when they fail to pay tribute. Maybe afterwards they sign a tribute agreement with whoever takes over after the Yuan or use their naval strength to prevent a quick unification, and they might then pass under periods of European suzerainty like the Sri Lankan Kingdom of Kandy

Last edited:
The thing about Hainan was that everyone considered it downright disgusting due to the very humid, tropical climate - Chinese bureaucrats sent there would complain that floors of houses would turn to mush, everything stinks of mold and mud - the Japanese would probably agree, seeing how they barely bothered to get Ryukyu.

The thing about Hainan was that everyone considered it downright disgusting due to the very humid, tropical climate - Chinese bureaucrats sent there would complain that floors of houses would turn to mush, everything stinks of mold and mud - the Japanese would probably agree, seeing how they barely bothered to get Ryukyu.
Sounds even more perfect for some deportations from the Mongols. Perhaps they force a turncoat Japanese clan to prove their loyalty to the Khan by sending them as bureaucrats and soldiers to such a distant posting. And then perhaps this becomes prominent enough that it eventually becomes custom--disliked Japanese clans in the Mongol-ruled areas of Japan end up exiled to Hainan, and along with them come sizable numbers of Buddhist monks, peasants, merchants, etc. who eventually assimilate the majority of Hainan natives.

The latter is the crucial part, since while I could see Japanese people sent by the Yuan to Hainan for the same reasons the Mongols moved around Persians, Turks, and entire Mongol tribes (ancestors of some ethnic groups in China to this day), they would need to be a large enough/culturally powerful enough presence to not just assimilate into a later Chinese population.

Pick a war in Japan involving one side with a decent navy and instead of going down to defeat retreated to their ships and got hit by a big storm and blown off their intended course. Blah blah blah eventually end up on Hainan.

They haven't taken over Hainan yet, but could. Then a couple of centuries of assimilation....

Beyond just how the Japanese get to Hainan, there's the matters of being strong enough to actually fend off any Chinese dynasties that want the island and retaining enough trade and contacts with the home islands so as to not become Chinese via assimilation. Hainan's geography makes trade with China too lucrative to pass up, which will mean lots of communication with Chinese merchants and thus fluency in Chinese ends up being extremely important and will see plenty of Chinese merchants visiting or setting up shop. Add to that the previously existing Chinese population of the island and any additional migrations (if any northern nomads invade China, refugees from South China would end up fleeing to Hainan and rebels would organize there, much like what happened on Taiwan/Formosa during the Qing invasion of Ming China) and the prestige of Chinese culture and it'd be hard to actually keep Hainan Japanese. Not to mention the distance makes communication difficult, so the local dialect would end up diverging from the home islands and the local culture will evolve differently from the home islands. At that point, can it really be called ethnically, linguistically, or culturally Japanese?

The best comparison would be the English and German identities, I think. Anglo-Saxons were descended from Germanic peoples who arrived on an island not too close from their homeland and ended up dominating the island, but saw their language and cultures evolve differently (High German consonant shift and the English Great Vowel Shift, for example) because those linguistic and cultural changes didn't travel across the seas and due to foreign military and cultural influence (French for English, due to the Norman invasion and the increased economic and political ties to France it brought). But in this case, the distance is much further and the distance and power discrepancy between China and Hainan Island is skewed much more than the distance and power discrepancy between France and England (closer distance, more power discrepancy). And even before French involvement, within a few centuries of arriving in England, the Anglo-Saxons were distinct from their continental cousins to the point they had a distinct different language that only became more distinct as time went on.

To be specific with an example of cultural divergences, let's take a Warring States Period in Japan. Hainan Island is ill-suited to get involved. Simply communicating with allies will be inconvenient due to the distance, let alone shipping and provisioning troops. But if they don't get involved, that's a huge part of Japanese home isle culture Hainan misses out on. Linguistic changes are inevitable, just based on dialects that form within states in countries that aren't separated by thousands of km of sea. Enough divergences and it'll be hard to call Hainanese culture Japanese (Japonic at best, but that depends on regular contact, which was hard to maintain with pre-1500s naval technology and techniques).

It's not appropriate to compare to colonial nations and their identities/languages to this situation, I think, since European naval technology after the 1500s could facilitate constant communication and population transfers between the colonies and metropoles, which could prevent extreme divergences (and even then, the identities inevitably diverged and the languages are still notably distinct). 283 years (1260 PoD vs 1543, when Portugal initially reached Japan) is a long time for identities and languages to diverge irreversibly. Hell, despite Jeju Island being 82 km from mainland Korea and having been under mainland Korean rule since 1404 (it was officially a possession of the Goryeo dynasty since 1105, though with high autonomy for the next 3 centuries, and a subject nation to the Baekje, Silla, and Goryeo for much longer) and its language is still incomprehensible to a mainland Korean.

Chinese bureaucrats sent there would complain that floors of houses would turn to mush, everything stinks of mold and mud -
But if they stuck it out they could get deified, their figurative descendants in the people of Hainan wishing them a wonderful afterlife long after their actual bloodline has disappeared

Beyond just how the Japanese get to Hainan, there's the matters of being strong enough to actually fend off any Chinese dynasties
The Qing didn't really care about developing Taiwan even after they got it, they just wanted to make sure a hostile force wouldn't use it. The Japanese on Hainan could either be tributaries, or be integrated but receive the "tusi" autonomy commonly used in nearby Southwest China. This allowed chieftains nominated by the community to be in charge of local affairs. They could maintain a large enough merchant fleet and anti-piracy fleet to gain independence after a Chinese dynasty's fall, and double-dip by achieving prominence within China in the meantime.

But if they stuck it out they could get deified, their figurative descendants in the people of Hainan wishing them a wonderful afterlife long after their actual bloodline has disappeared

The Qing didn't really care about developing Taiwan even after they got it, they just wanted to make sure a hostile force wouldn't use it. The Japanese on Hainan could either be tributaries, or be integrated but receive the "tusi" autonomy commonly used in nearby Southwest China. This allowed chieftains nominated by the community to be in charge of local affairs. They could maintain a large enough merchant fleet and anti-piracy fleet to gain independence after a Chinese dynasty's fall, and double-dip by achieving prominence within China in the meantime.

This is very helpful info.

In my timeline, the Qing Empire collapses in 1864 from a successful Taipeng Rebellion, this allows Hainan to gain full independence at which point its ruling Shogun is renamed to "King". ( I'm not sure if the title of King could be used as a vassal under the Qing ).