Helmuth's WW1 (base) maps

For my alternate WW1 threads I made some maps, which I really like to do. Sometimes I get the question whether my base maps can be used for someone's own ATL. I have no problem with that, but a reference would of course be greatly appreciated!

In this thread I will post my (base) maps for easier access. In addition, I make some of my geodata available in Google Earth kml files (also useful in QGIS), so you can explore 1914's Europe from the couch ;)

Map of Europe with borders of 1914, political. I made this map for my thread "East first! Europe after a German / CP victory in 1916".

Europe_1914_Political.png

The 1914 borders of Europe are available in a Google Earth kml file (updated on 22-02-2024).

Attachments

• borders1914.zip
    108.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
The World War I era fortresses of Alsace-Lorraine are available in a Google Earth kml file:

Fortresses France: Verdun, Toul, Epinal, Belfort and others.
Fortresses Germany: Diedenhofen, Metz, Strassburg, Neubreisach and others.

Many icons are clickable for additional information.

Attachments

• Fortresses-Alsace-Lorraine.zip
    6.5 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
The World War I era fortresses in present-day Poland and beyond are available in a Google Earth kml file:

Fortresses Germany: Königberg, Graudenz, Thorn, Posen and others.
Fortresses Russia: Kovno, Grodno, Narew-line, Novogeorgievsk, Warsaw, Ivangorod, Brest-Litovsk and others.
Fortresses Austria-Hungary: Krakow and Przemysl.

Many icons are clickable for additional information.

Attachments

• Fortresses-Poland.zip
    8 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Map of Bridgehead Neubreisach / Tête de pont de Neuf-Brisach / Brückenkopf Neubreisach.

To meet the strategic requirements in Alsace as defined by the German High Command, a bridgehead was created at Neuf-Brisach. It consisted of a series of fortifications (Werk), sometimes forming a large group (Werkgruppe), heavily equipped with armored artillery. Neuf-Brisach was almost on the front line, since it was only when the bridgehead was being prepared for defense that improvised positions were set up (Wolfgantzen and Weckolsheim sectors). Other improvised positions were built during the First World War, as evidenced by the numerous blockhouses scattered here and there.

Most of these fortifications are now in ruins, but the remains are still impressive. Only one infantry position, the Heiteren Infantry Position (Infanterie Stützpunkt Heiteren), remains perfectly intact to this day, but is now privately owned.

Neubreisach.jpg

Last edited: