Introduction
(Hello everyone! This is my first attempt at a collaborative TL so if you want to add a response feel free to go right ahead! Just make sure to look at everyone else’s posts to prevent any continuity errors, try to make your posts plausible, and most of all make sure to have some fun!)

Westbound Interstate 4, somewhere between Walt Disney World and Orlando, December 1998

The nighttime calm was rudely interrupted by the roaring of an old pickup’s engine and the shrieking of police sirens. Speeding down the highway at breakneck speed, the pickup’s driver, who had just robbed a small bank and shot a security guard, was in a rush to beat the cops, who were hot on his trail. He tried swerving, weaving, anything to lose them, but to no avail, their squad cars were more nimble than his old beat-up Ford. Time was running out. He had to do something, and fast! He tried swerving off of the highway, in a last-ditch bid to lose the cops. Atleast his truck could go off-road! He veered sharp right, expecting to slide into the field. Instead he proceeded to roll over his truck and land in a ditch.

When he came to he was surrounded by flashing lights. He tried reaching for his pistol, but unfortunately for him it must have been flung out of the vehicle. He decided to make one last run for it. He opened the door, crawled out, and jumped onto his feet, one last dash for freedom! This was short lived however, as he was immediately tackled by a police officer.

When they brought him back to the station, and they identified his name, they couldn’t believe their eyes.

“Hey Jim, come over here!”

“What is it?”

“Look’s like we’ve arrested the Governor!”

Indeed, they had arrested Jebediah “Jeb” Bush.

Florida Governor’s Office, Tallahassee, May 2000

“Can you explain this again to me?”

“Governor, it appears that due to Secretary Harris’ felon purge program, you’ve been listed as a felon. This means that you will be unable to vote this November.”

“How is that possible?” John Ellis “Jeb” Bush asked, feigning ignorance. He know why it had happened, it was the result of an “unintentional” feature of the anti-felon purge program, which included anyone in several counties whose name matched that of Floridian felons (even when those people weren’t felons) in the voter purge. Although it wasn’t outwardly spoken, the programs true goal was to prevent many people in many counties from voting for a Democrat, by preventing them from voting at all. However it had backfired on himself. Now he himself couldn’t vote in November, and this was nothing short of an embarrassment. He wanted to ask his aide to strike his name from the list, to relieve himself of this embarrassment, but doing that would reflect badly on himself, and risk exposing the whole operation. Maybe he could fix a few of the errors, but leave the rest, to prevent this from happening. That seemed like the best choice at this time.

“I will look into this, we may have to roll back some of our voting reforms to figure out what went wrong, thank you.”

And with that, Jeb Bush had unwittingly doomed George W. Bush’s chances of winning Florida.

Election Night, 2000

“Well folks, after a long grueling night of uncertainty and intrigue, we can finally project with relative accuracy that Vice President Al Gore has won the state of Florida and it’s 25 electoral votes by an narrow margin of roughly 4,000 votes, making Albert Gore, barring any possible recounts, the 43rd President of the United States!”

genusmap.php

Vice Pres. Albert Gore Jr. (D-TN)/Sen. Joseph Lieberman (D-CT) - 292 EV
Gov. George W. Bush (R-TX)/SecDef Richard Cheney (R-WY) - 246 EV

(I apologize if the POD is unrealistic, if you have any other ideas please pm me.)

Wouldn’t it be easier to just have the POD during the campaign/recount/SCOTUS case? Jeb getting arrested in 1998 is too early a POD and would have much broader consequences.

Wouldn’t it be easier to just have the POD during the campaign/recount/SCOTUS case? Jeb getting arrested in 1998 is too early a POD and would have much broader consequences.
Sorry for not clarifying that, because this random person who shares the name Jeb Bush is arrested and becomes a felon, due to the voter purges undertaken in the months leading up to the election that included people who shared names with felons, Governor Bush is accidentally included in the list. These suppression tactics, whether Bush knew about them or not, played a very big role in the election, as several thousand would-be Gore voters were prevented from voting even though they weren’t felons.

Last edited:
Al Gore’s Victory Speech
Election Night, 2000

History_Gore_Concedes_to_Bush_Speech_SF_still_624x352.jpg

Al Gore has given his victory speech after a long and stressful night. He thanked everyone who had supported his campaign and vowed that he and Vice President-Elect Lieberman would do everything in their power to ensure a prosperous future for every American. There has been no comment yet from the Bush campaign however, with many speculating that George W. Bush will refuse to concede the election due to how close it was, even though Gore had won the popular vote.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see what Gore can accomplish with such a small mandate and a split Congress. He will probably push for cap-and-trade, back when that had more bipartisan support than when Obama tried and failed to pass such a program in 2009.

December 2nd, 2000 - First Cabinet Picks
December 2nd 2000:

Al Gore has released the names of several nominees for his cabinent. Among these are Howard Dean for Secretary of Health and Human Services and Richard Holbrooke for Secretary of State.

June 4th-25th, 2000 - Russian Elections
June 4, 2000 : The first round of the Russian Federation's presidential election goes through. Vladimir Putin wins about 46% of the vote, but not enough to guarantee a victory over Gennedy Zyuganov's 45%.

June 25, 2000 : The second round of the Russian Federation's presidential election goes through. In a match up solely between Putin and Zyuganov, the latter is able to eke out a win. The Western world is thrown into shock as Russia once again falls under Communist rule.

June 4, 2000 : The first round of the Russian Federation's presidential election goes through. Vladimir Putin wins about 46% of the vote, but not enough to guarantee a victory over Gennedy Zyuganov's 45%.

June 25, 2000 : The second round of the Russian Federation's presidential election goes through. In a match up solely between Putin and Zyuganov, the latter is able to eke out a win. The Western world is thrown into shock as Russia once again falls under Communist rule.
What is the POD and how does it relate to the Bush incident. If not I assume this TL will just have two PODS?

What is the POD and how does it relate to the Bush incident. If not I assume this TL will just have two PODS?
TTL’s POD is ‘98 and starts picking up steam around the 2000s.

If you mean for my post specifically, it does assume that Yeltsin didn’t resign to give Putin more power. Apparently all of Putin’s predecessors got fired fast, and even though the Communist party lagged way behind in the Presidential, they were apparently not too far off in the Parliamentary elections so I just fudged some numbers in favor of the outcome I wanted (No Putinist Russia).

Figured it would be a unique challenge for the Gore admin given that most of these types of TLs also tend to butterfly 9/11.

TTL’s POD is ‘98 and starts picking up steam around the 2000s.

If you mean for my post specifically, it does assume that Yeltsin didn’t resign to give Putin more power. Apparently all of Putin’s predecessors got fired fast, and even though the Communist party lagged way behind in the Presidential, they were apparently not too far off in the Parliamentary elections so I just fudged some numbers in favor of the outcome I wanted (No Putinist Russia).

Figured it would be a unique challenge for the Gore admin given that most of these types of TLs also tend to butterfly 9/11.
Yes but I don't see the connection between Florida rolling back voter purge laws and Yeltsin not resigning

February 8, 2000 : Buffy The Vampire Slayer debuts S04E13, titled The I in Team. In this episode, When Professor Walsh decides that Buffy is a threat to the Initiative, she decides to kill her by sending her on a dangerous mission. Riley discovers that Professor Walsh has tried to kill Buffy and begins to seriously think of leaving the organization.

February 15, 2000 : Buffy The Vampire Slayer debuts S04E14, titled Goodbye Iowa. In this episode, Professor Walsh tries to play up tensions between Buffy and Riley, the latter of whom becomes increasingly unstable as a result of a change in his medications. Buffy and Xander sneak into the Initiative to steal information, and leave with an injured Riley after a tense confrontation.

February 22, 2000 : Buffy The Vampire Slayer debuts S04E15, titled This Year's Girl. In this episode, Faith (Eliza Dushku) wakes from her eight-month coma and seeks revenge against Buffy. After failing to attack her, she switches bodies with Buffy using a gift left to her by Richard Wilkins III (Harry Groener), the now dead mayor.

February 29, 2000 : Buffy The Vampire Slayer debuts S04E16, titled Who Are You. In this episode, Buffy (in Faith's body) is abducted by the Council's team, while Faith (in Buffy's body) has ruthless fun at the expense of Buffy. After Faith and Buffy (as each other) rescue a group of people in a church that has been attacked by vampires, they switch their bodies back. Faith begins to feel remorse, and heads to Los Angeles.

April 4, 2000 : Buffy The Vampire Slayer debuts S04E17, titled Superstar. In this episode, Xander tries to adjust to life in the Initiative, which he has infiltrated as a double agent for the Scoobies. He begins to understand that he is being manipulated as a scheme to get him to turn on the Scoobies.

April 29, 2000 : Buffy The Vampire Slayer debuts S04E18, titled The Wild Things. In this episode, Buffy and Riley are too distracted by their burgeoning relationship to deal with a growing threat of ghosts throughout Sunnydale. Willow and Tara set out to exorcise the town, joined by Anya who is lonely without Xander.

May 2, 2000 : Buffy The Vampire Slayer debuts S04E19, titled What Measure Is A Man. In this episode, Professor Walsh imbues Forrest with the powers of a demon - trying to create her own equivalent to the slayer. While the Scoobies work to rescue Xander from the Initiative, Forrest soon turns irredeemably insane and goes on a spree about the town, forcing Riley to put him down.

May 9, 2000 : Buffy The Vampire Slayer debuts S04E20, titled The Yoko Factor. In this episode, Riley spars with Angel (David Boreanaz) when Angel visits Sunnydale; Maggie convinces Spike that she will remove his chip if he helps her get Buffy where she wants. Spike agrees and sets out to distance the Scoobies from each other.

May 16, 2000 : Buffy The Vampire Slayer debuts S04E21, titled Raising Stakes. In this episode, The Scoobies reconcile and uncover Professor Walsh's plan to create an army of mind controlled superpowered soldiers, with herself in control of all of them.

May 23, 2000 : Buffy The Vampire Slayer debuts S04E22, titled Trapped. In this episode, Professor Walsh imbues herself with the powers of the slayer and traps the Scoobies in the Initiative base - a last ditch effort after they foiled her slayer army idea. It takes the entire team working together to take down the Professor.