Where should the next update take place ?

• The Battle of Santa Fe

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • The Guns of Cherbourg

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • The Fourth Battle of Toledo

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Battle of the Rhone

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Always great to see this updated! Decided to catalogue a list of the current Monarchs last mentioned for each nation giving notes to the ones getting up in their years haha!

Empire Mexico/ Grand Duchy of Mesomerica: Juan Carlos I
Kingdom of Hawaii: Roberto I
Kingdom of Peru/True Spain: Felipe I & VI
Kingdom of France: Christophe I
Russian Empire: Ivan VII
Kingdom of Hungary/Croatia: Stephen IX & III (67)
Byzantine Empire: Paul I (in his 70’s)
Second Empire of Bulgaria: Vladimir II
Crown Republic Poland: Karol I
Kingdom of Bavaria: Maximillian II
United Kingdom of Britain and Dominions: Robert IV
United Portuguese Empire: Angelica I (59)
Empire of the Cape: Sophie I
Empire of Colombia: Leoncio I
Empire of Ethiopia: Tekle Giyorgis II
Italian Empire: Napoleon II (in his 70’s)
Crown Republic of Slovenia: Girolamo I (died in OTL 1860)
Kingdom of Egypt: Rahman I
Swedish Empire: Gustav V (in his 70’s)
New Ireland: James I
Ottoman Empire: Mahmud II
Persian Empire: Karim II
Empire of Japan: Toshihito
Thanks one of the many things that I meant to do and never did

@CountofDooku some map edits I noticed are missing is the UGR annexing Saxony and Prussia and the British purchasing Panama
A shame if I have overseen something, what exaclty is needed in general there exactly as I'm not up to date with this AU/TL (mostly because I have so many own projects I am forgetting stuff left and right, even my own one ^^
Which color should go there exactly in Germany? The Panama one is clear and simple enough.

A shame if I have overseen something, what exaclty is needed in general there exactly as I'm not up to date with this AU/TL (mostly because I have so many own projects I am forgetting stuff left and right, even my own one ^^
Which color should go there exactly in Germany? The Panama one is clear and simple enough.
It's ok. I completely understand
UGR is gold in color

So like this:
God Save these American States world current map.png

Perisa
EdxwDrkZOj0DAqHpM_7jJETpQ3jer40lQYfjn51U8W2pewu8jn0-B0CNJxLfHVmwWS6lNTKDnbcxfypyClMpY3lm5hp4PZ1Qi5VnFrGICBrsq1fyYye1HwrB39XSeWrIhPy7X3ke=s0

By the 1850’s there were few who disputed that the regional power in the middle east was the Persian Empire and its ruler Shah Karim II. Mohammad Karim Ali Khan Zand. Since defeating the Ottomans in the 1830’s Shah Karim II had used his partners in the Palmetto Trading Company to turn Perisa into a not only a unified nation but he had kicked off an Industrial Revolution that over the last decade had propelled Perisa from a backwards nation into a modern Industrialized nation. With the Perian Palmetto Railway having spawned several offshoot industries in other areas of manufacturing and mining vital to industrial development and defense. Chief among these are the Persian Palmetto Iron Corporation, The Persian Palmetto Mining Corporation, and the Royal Naval Yards at Basrah and Bandar Abbas

Military wise the Persians used the 1840’s to completely requip their army with the .56-50 caliber Palmetto trapdoor rifles. They were looking into buying a repeating rifle but having just paid off the bill of buying 600,000 trapdoor rifles and tooling up their new arsenal in Shiraz meant that there was little money in the budget for starting all over again now in the 1850’s. Manpower wise the Imperial Persian Amry consisted of 500,000 officers and enlisted men. Divided up into 5 armies These were the Northwestern Army commanded by Arteshbod (1) Mehran Taheri stationed along the northwestern frontier, the Northeastern Army commanded by Arteshbod Esmaeel Zarqan stationed along the northeastern frontier, the Eastern Army commanded by Aryabod(2) Prince Tahmasp Rouhani Zand placed along the eastern frontier with Afghanistan, the Western Army commanded by Arteshbod Jaffar Frootan and finally the Imperial Guards Army commanded by the Shah himself. To support these armies Perisa had a mandatory conscription law; under this law all men regardless of status of birth had to serve a 3 year term of service upon reaching the age of 15 years old. And learning the example of many countries over the years in 1841 the Shah issued the Imperial Officers Training Law. This mandated that all new officers attend a three year course in military training and tactics at one of the three Imperial Military academies or be able to provide proof of attendance and completion of a military academy in a forgien country. The Eastern and Northeastern Armies would see the most action of any of these armies in the 1840-1860’s, thanks to the near constant raids by Afghan Raiding parties.

The 1850’s would see the founding of the modern Persian Imperial Navy with the construction of six Ironclad Rams. while nothing revolutionary about being wooden hulled ships with Iron plating bolted on. The Ships carried three guns, a massive muzzle loading 11 inch Smoothbore Randolph guns imported from the Commonwealth of American States mounted on a pivot in the forecastle with five gun ports allowing for 190 degree fring arch. This was supported by two smaller 6.5 inch muzzle loading rifled guns also imported from the Federal Republic of America. Mounted in a small casemate just aft of the mast. The existence of these six ships would tilt the balance of power in the Persian Gulf as the British Persian Gulf Squadron based at Qatar consisted of 30 mostly small wooden ships with its largest ship being the 40 gunned Frigate HMS Marathon.

1. Arteshbod equals full general in western armies
  2. Aryabod is equivalent to Field Marshal.

Thailand

For the Siamese the 1850’s were a decade of integration, and consolidation. The Siamese had taken the Malaysian Peninsula from the British and their puppets except for the Island of Singapore where the British had hung on and were now in the process of Fortifying. The Siamese Maylan Railroad was created shortly after the war to collect the patchwork of Railroads the British had started constructing and create a single line to connect Pensular to the Siamese homeland.

The Siamese Army would spend the 1850’s constructing massive fortification across from British Singapore in what American Newspapers would come to call the Battle of the Fortresses in the south however in the west of the they would become engaged in a ever escalating border war with the Kingdom of Burma a client state of the British Empire. This border War would become so hot by the end of the decade that many leading Siamese officials were talking of possibly invading Burma soon just to put an end to the constant border skirmishes. The Thai Army would convert its Rifled Muskets into Trapdoor Breech Loaders in the 1850’s as well, giving them a semi modern long arm and the Thai Navy would small Casemate Ironclads towards the end of the decade.

The Empire of Japan
nu9BLwncItVNz1Mp4sYBxIN5joW_LZLTSG2LroacJPUf2XpWArNtH1hKkrJ5T9VFXpoRETh11xMxYUnrzg-laBn-A3c5HEne8bn9q-QqbfeTRgR5pOUqVMQ5EPrBFbC3dz04lTgQ=s0

The 1850s in Japan were a hard time. The nation was struggling to rebuild after the War of Imperial Restoration and the Shogunate leadership took the nation's treasury with it when it fled. This was compiled by the Army and Navy squabbling over what funding there was to modernize in the case of the Army and Rebuild in the case of the navy. In the end the Emperor would choose to put an end to the feuding between the two services by uniting all of the Armed forces into a single organization, the Imperial Japanese Defense Services. The New IJDS would be headed by the Emperor himself; at the top level was the Emperor, the Imperial Defense Minister, and the Samurai Council which would consist of the commanders of the Imperial Ground forces and Naval Forces. The Imperial Ground Forces would be commanded by the Grand Marshal of the Japanese Empire, while the Imperial Navy would be commanded by the Grand Admiral of the Imperial Fleet. The Emperor would hold the Ranks of Lord High Admiral of the Japanese Empire and Imperial Commander General of the Japanese Empire. Making himself the true commander of both services.

The Japanese economic problems would find an unexpected fix in the winter of 1857 when the British Ambassador paid a visit to the Emperor with a representative from the Imperial Foriegn Exchange Bank. The British were willing to give the Japanese a series of low interest loans so that they could continue their Industrialization, and military expansion programs. The Condition of these loans was that Britain gained favored nation status when it came to Importing goods into Japan. The Emperor was already an Anglophile and agreed to the British terms. The Anglo-Japanese Friendship Treaty would be signed in the Spring of 1858. By the summer British Gold was paying for new factories, Railroads, and Shipyards to be established in Japan. The Imperial Arsenals in Edo began constructing the Type 15 breech loading Rifle (based upon the Springfield-Sharps Rifle) while in Britain three Ironclads began construction that would become the first ships of the new Japanese Navy. As the Decade ended Emperor Toshihito could finally see a light at the end of the tunnel for his tormented country and he and his military leaders began planning future wars beginning with the invasion of The Republic of Ezo.

The Heavenly Kingdom Falls from Heaven.
WygAReMakiHChU3y4tMX8gRFer-fHGNCQWME178m4ocO7rMFEuWllu7Xawvf_vTRtKNZT2oubOb9l5Ow-eEk1V3vHqN7JAV5NR-WHTFaUpQLx489xfVopI9FeztIhGB1WqlLpoSX=s0

On October 1, 1852 the Leaders of the Divine Heavenly Kingdom did the most boneheaded thing that could be imagined: they declared war on the 2nd Ming Empire. Had the DHK not spent the last 20 years killing off anyone including military officers who didn’t agree with them or spent even a little bit of money on the means to defend the nation's borders this might not have been suicide; The DHK was twice the size of the 2nd Ming Empire and cold in theory field larger armies. To the North, the Declaration of War suited Emperor Zhu Xiuxiang just fine, his armies were modern well trained and battle hardened from his sack of the Qing Empire, just five years before. He would dispatch a young and coming General named Chen Xuhan south with an army of 125,000 men supported by 36 batteries of field guns.

On October 24, 1852 Chen Xuhan’s army would run into a DHK Army of 160,000 men was his army was crossing the Shushui River. Chen Xuhan was forced into a defensive battle with his back to a River and the Larger Ganjiang River on his left flank. However what looked like a massive victory in the making for the Divine Army would turn to ashes as their men were cut down by the Muzzle loading Rifled Muskets and Rifled Muzzle loading artillery guns of the Ming Army. the Divine army being armed with Brown Bess Muskets and pitchforks for the most part with only a few outdated small cannons. The Battle of Shushui Crossing would turn into a very lopsided victory with Chen Xuhan’s army managing to not only counter attack and drive the Divine Army off of the field but managed to take some 40,000 prisoners to boot. Having been forced onto the defensive the Divine Army would make its next stand along the Suichuan River. The Battle of the Suichuan would make the Ming army bleed but after two days of fighting would cross the river in three places forcing the Divine Army to abandon its line. Over the course of the next month Chen Xuhan’s army would force the Divine Army back though the rough country between the Suichuan River and the City of Ganzhou which was also the capital of the DHK.

The Collapse of the Divine Army would cause the British to enact their contingency plans and British troops began moving out of the British occupied ports and seizing control of the countryside. While in Nanjing the British Ambassador would begin working on a treaty with the 2nd Ming Empire. On December 23, 1852 the Treaty of Nanjing would be signed. Under this treaty the British were given control of large areas of the Coast and southern parts of the Divine Heavenly Kingdom. In exchange the British returned the Concession port of Hangzhou to the 2nd Ming Empire, recognized it as the rightful ruler of the rest of the DHK and agreed to pay the 2nd Ming Empire 2.6 million gold pounds for the territory that the British were taking.

Finally on December 7,1852 the Capital would be besieged by Chen Xuhan’s. The Defenders of Ganzhou would hold out until June 12,1853 before they finally surrendered to Chen Xuhan’s Army. Most importantly the Government of the DHK was captured with the city. The Treaty of Ganzhou would be signed the same day. This treaty saw the Annexation of all DHK lands not occupied by the British by the 2nd Ming Empire.

LucCepXpLwL4ie8e2IE4jk-0rj_1QRFqE9lFHkKRq4UwyGwQNIXBm-XIQd-BFGpwJFfGq0UZ2f0FALoaXJVP_Bb9bh5iNdydgplvHzXlYatvjzu2GOur-g98BNVI7F7dKmyyQ_vS=s0
@CountofDooku There's one more change that is the heavenly kingdom is annexed by Ming and the british.

The War of the Ryukyu Islands Part 2: Korea and Japan

Kyoto, Japanese Empire​

nu9BLwncItVNz1Mp4sYBxIN5joW_LZLTSG2LroacJPUf2XpWArNtH1hKkrJ5T9VFXpoRETh11xMxYUnrzg-laBn-A3c5HEne8bn9q-QqbfeTRgR5pOUqVMQ5EPrBFbC3dz04lTgQ=s0

Emperor Toshihito, had ruled as Emperor since 1844. During that time he had strived to improve the Empire by industrializing, and modernizing without losing its cultural soul. And he had done a pretty good job of it from his point of view. Japan was well on its way to becoming a modern industrial country. Railroads now criss-crossed the Islands under his control, Japan has its own native steel, textile, and other forms of modern industry supported by said railroads. The Imperial Arsenals had been modernized and the Shipyards had likewise been modernized to allow for the construction of modern Ironclad warships and Iron Hulled merchantmen that were filling out Japan’s merchant marine.

The army and the naval infantry were equipped with breech loading artillery and bolt action rifles both of which used smokeless powder. The Navy, while still small by the standards of the west, did exist, which is something that could not have been said when Toshihito took the throne. The new Imperial Navy was for the most part less than twenty years old and consisted of what the western powers would consider third and fourth generation ironclads.

The Imperial Japanese Army had adopted a bolt action repeating rifle two years before their British Allies had adopted the Enfield JSR. The Japanese Type 66 rifle was designed by the same man who would design the JSR however it was different. The Type 66 was a straight pull bolt action that was chambered in caliber 0.236 instead of the 0.303 bullet that the British chose. The M66 was also shorter than the JSR or any western military rifle in service at that time. All Western service rifles came in two lengths, the 32 to 48 inch long infantry long arm version and a smaller 22 inch carbine version for cavalry. The Type 66 is the first rifle used to serve both the Infantry and Cavalry. It accomplishes this by having a length of 25.5 inches long. This length makes it capable of being more or less easily fired from horseback and still gives it length to be used by the infantry. Having this intermediate length rifle also allowed the Japanese to simplify production by only needing to make one size barrel, and stock patterns. The Imperial Army had also bought the rights to domestically produce the Martin Machine Gun from the FRA as the Type 69 Machine gun, gaining access to one of the premier automatic weapons of the era.

Kncbkx67cQLORhKyDSEMYHLmpm2KYbew6thSxt1CTtIx2ABEPOG5uSGP24k0Ds0LjPLZzdrP5yR60gfQdYTv5ncPSHFrvj-CYLXY0WxLvcmMj4cLmkrTNnOWTr0au0e1X-B_bWjP1e0xAb7rXqouIFw

He was surprised when his thoughts were interrupted when the chamberland approached him. The man had told him about the Christian Republic of Pacifica’s invasion of the Ryukyu Islands. He had been very disturbed that the fanatics from the Philippines were trying to invade a land on Japan’s doorstep and it was an action that he could not tolerate. So he had given the orders to call up the reserves, and prepare the fleet to sail. Then he had issued a declaration of War between Japan and the CRP and readied a dispatch to Korea to inform the Koreans that Japan would be sending troops to the Ryukyu islands as was required by their treaty. Japan would be going to war outside of the home islands for the first time in a very long time.
dg1utim-5bda9869-d91b-4fde-809b-a206c1b699cc.png

Japanese Imperial Army Uniform enlisted soldier once again thanks to @CountofDooku for the drawing

Hanseong, Korean Empire​

dg1a410-501cf8b9-eccf-4b8e-a03d-0508dc96d5e8.png

Twenty four year old Emperor Guk Ryung I, sat in the throne room in the palace in the city of Hanseong, the Empire’s capital. Guk Ryung had been Emperor for just two years following the death of his father Emperor Hyomyeong after a 30 year reign. The Korean Empire was in a good place; they were a client state of the Russian Empire, however the Russian’s were probably the best of the Europeans where Korea was concerned. Korea was allowed an almost insane amount of diplomatic autonomy in the region. Their only constraints were not to start any wars that Korea couldn’t handle on its own. The Russians also made sure the Korean Imperial Army was equipped with the same kit as the Russian Imperial Army. The Korean Imperial Navy was also kept up to modern standards as it was considered a wing of the Russian Pacific Fleet. For the Korean Army and Naval Infantry however this was a two edged sword as it meant that they were forced to keep the .42 caliber black powder Gogol Rifle. The Gogol Rifle had been almost revolutionary when it was introduced in 1859, however it had been surpassed by the development of smokeless powder. Russia was currently in the process of adopting an updated version called the Gogol Mk II that would use a modern .30 caliber bullet however it was just starting to make its way to the Imperial Guards units of the Russian Army and was nowhere near being issued to Korean units.

It was in large part thanks to what the Koreans called their special relationship with the Russians that Korea had become the first true fully industrialized country in Asia. The Russian backing of the Korean Industrialization led to the Korean Economy becoming the standard by which all Asian countries were judged. As if to underscore that point in 1860 The Imperial Korean Foundry and Metal working company became the first Asian corporation to have its stocks traded on the London and New York stock exchanges.

A point in this diplomatic autonomy would become an issue when word was received from the Japanese that the Ryukyu Islands had been invaded and taken over by the Christian Republic of Pacifica. The Ryukyu Kingdom that governed the Islands was an odd duck; it was technically a protectorate of the Russian Empire, same as Korea. However, the King of the Islands was a member of a Japanese noble house and the Queen was a member of a Korean noble house. This meant that Russia could and did leave the actual defense of the islands to Japan and its Korean allies should the Ryukyuan military be overwhelmed. This meant that when Emperor Guk Ryung was informed by the Japanese Ambassador that Japan was dispatching an expedition to liberate the Islands from the CRP, Korea decided that it would send a slightly smaller force to support the Japanese efforts. Emperor Guk Ryung agreed that the Japanese commander would be the overall commander as his force was the larger of the two. Emperor Guk Ryung also sent word to Moscow of the Developments in the Ryukyuan Islands.
dg194i9-a66cf912-3391-4f37-885c-a542975e74b3.png

Korean Army Enlisted soldier and mew flag Thanks to @CountofDooku for the image

Last edited:
The War of the Ryukyu Islands Part 3: If you fly to close to the sun you will get burned

The Ryukyu Islands Campaign

By September 7,1871 the Christian Republic of Pacifica had occupied the Ryukyu Islands for almost three months. In that time they had set about improving the defenses and making plans for the defense of the Islands. They had also had three months for the Black Priest and Sisters of Illumination to begin their work of converting the locals and setting up camps for the adult population and children over the age of 12. Children under the age of 12 were shipped back to the Philippines where schools were already established. What was now being called the Northern Fleet was anchored in Kasari Bay.

The Northern Fleet consisted of 5 Ironclad warships, 15 ships of the line all sail powered. 10 sailing frigates, 5 steam frigates, and 15 steam sloops recently arrived from the Philippines. It was still commanded by Admiral Perry Macario Abucay Balangao, and the admiral was a very worried man. He had sent merchantmen carrying goods to sell in Japan crewed by sailors from a couple of his warships. Upon their return they had reported that there was a massive fleet build up in the Japanese ports Kagoshima, and Yatsushiro. There was also an increased Imperial Army presence on the Southernmost Island. The face merchants he had sent to the Korean Peninsula had never returned which spoke of bad omens from there as well.

Knowing what he did he was not surprised when his scout ships returned on September 10,1871 stating that there was a large Japanese war fleet steaming south toward the Ryukyu Islands. Balangao alerted Major General Sergio Raphael Siapuatco Villosillo the commander of the Island’s garrison that he believed that the Japanese had nothing but Hostile intent toward the PRC and was preparing his fleet to sail out and meet the Japanese and if they had hostile intent to engage them as far North as possible. He also dispatched three sloops to head for the Phillipeans to alert the government that war with Japan and possibly Korea seemed very likely.

General Villosillo was not pleased that the Japanese appeared to be heading his way. Unlike many in the higher ranks of the Army, Villosillo understood that the troops of the CRP army were a poor match against the Japanese. Regardless of what he thought it was looking like he was likely to find out. He had just under 75,000 men in the Ryukyu Islands. Of those men he had the majority 55,000 here on Okinawa as it was the largest of the islands and the capital of the Kingdom. The other 20,000 were spread out on the other islands. If the navy could not defeat the Japanese then he would have no chance to move or resupply his forces. He knew that Admiral Balangao was not confident about his chances against any other nation who’s navy was anywhere close to being modern. His men were ready and were continuing to improve their defensive positions for now all he could do was wait.

Battle of Iotori Island
September 10, 1871

Vice Admiral Noriyoshi Akamatsu watched from the deck of the Ironclad warship Kongō as his fleet approached its Pacifican counterpart. The Pacifican’s had more ships over 40 at least while his fleet was made up of only 25 ships, giving them a two to one advantage over his fleet. However, if what he was seeing was true only 5 of those ships were ironclads. He sent orders out to the fleet. The six Kongo Class heavy Central Battery Ironclads along with the two turret ships Fuji and Yashima would attack the Pacifican Ironclads. He dispatched his second and third divisions to deal with the ships of the line leaving the faster Armored Frigates and Sloops to chase down their Pacifican counterparts. With his entire fleet steam powered he knew that his ships would control pace and range of the battle. While being outnumbered two to one victory was never a sure thing he felt very confident.

From the deck of the Crusader Admiral Balangao watched as the battle raged around him.He had organized the fleet as best as he could with his five Ironclads in the vanguard and the faster steaming sloops and frigates protecting ships of the line, who packed his most powerful punches. Little good it had done him. The Japanese had brought their largest Ironclads right down his throat. And the results were not pretty, under the pounding of the 16 inch breech loading rifled guns the PCS Archangel, Inquisitor, and Holy Sword had been pounded into dust. The Golden Knight was now dead in the water and his own ship was developing a bad list to port. In return they had managed to knock one of the Japanese Turret Ships out of the fight. Of his ten ships of the line only 3 were still in the fight. The deck rocked below him as one of his main guns, a massive 15 inch smooth bore muzzle loading gun exploded. And more Japanese shells impacted the ship. Then a nasty gray cloud erupted from the grated deck above the engines and the vibration of the engines stopped. As he shouted for a runner to find out what was going on he knew that the ship was dying under his feet. He called for another runner “fire off the Green flares” That was the prearranged signal for the fleet to scatter and run. He watched the Green fireworks explode above his head as a fire that he hadn't even known about reached the main powder magazine and the ship erupted under his feet, and the world went black.

Noriyoshi Akamatsu surveyed the scene of his victory the Pacifician fleet had scattered following their flagship sending up a volley of green flares. However, it was only the lighter ships that escaped all five of their ironclads and the ten liners were sunk and the sailing frigates had not fared much better. He had allowed one division of sloops to chase them down; however he was in the process of reforming the fleet for the advance as the transports were now coming up.

Battle of Okinawa
September 15 through October 28, 1871

The battle of Okinawa began on September 15, 1871 when the Japanese Army under the command of General Saigō Jūdō landed at Cape Bisezaki in the Northeast of the Island and Gushikawa Castle in the south. General Saigō Jūdō personally oversaw the landings in the south while his second in command General Sako Amaya oversaw the landings in the north. Both landings quickly used their more advanced weaponry to overpower the defenders and advance into the center of the islands. The Pacificans would fighter desperately however their single shot breech loading guns, muzzle loading artillery and no rapid fire guns found it hard to even defend against the Japanese with their modern bolt action rifles and Type 66 Machine guns. This forced them to withdraw in the face of pressure from the south and east.

October 2, 1871 General Villosillo was very alarmed by the amount of firepower the crimson clad Japanese soldiers brought with them from those bolt action repeating rifles and the new Henry Machine guns had torn holes in his defenses he had smuggled messages for help out of the blockade. He had pulled his forces back to the mountains north of the Daiboo and Fukuchi Rivers into the mountainous terrain of the northern part of the islands; it would be here that he and his men would hold out using the wilderness area of the Island to best counter the Japanese technological advantages. General Villosillo no longer expected to win but he did expect to make everyone of his soldiers' lives as costly for the Japanese to take as possible.

October 20,1871 General Saigō Jūdō was tired of this unhonorable battle. Discovering the fate of the King and queen of Ryukyu had been bad enough; the King had been emasculated, and nailed to a golden cross outside of Naha Castle. The Queen had been found several miles away in one of the “Nunneries” that the Pacifican Demon priest had established. She had been defiled, raped by Pacifican soldiers and their black priest and had been impregnated by one of her rapist. Transport arrangements were currently being arranged for her to be taken back to Korea to be with her family. It wasn’t long after that discovery that the bulk of the Japanese and all of the Korean fleets had set sail to the south upon receiving sealed orders. What was left had tightened the blockade around the northern part of the Island. While general Saigō Jūdō watched the unloading of the most recent supply of artillery shells from Japan very closely. Some enterprising person in the Arsenal at Edo had managed to not only figure out how to generate substantial amounts of Chlorine gas but also how to seal it into artillery shells. The Emperor had forbidden its being used after watching the effects it had on prisoners; however the actions of the Pacificans here and on the other Islands had changed his mind. He knew that the Fleet had received supply ships from the same convoy that had brought these in. At dawn on October 22, 1871 every third gun in each japanese artillery battery started firing off Chlorine gas shells, while the rest fired off normal bursting shells. The bombardment would last for six hours. However General Saigō Jūdō would wait another three hours before sending his infantry forward to clean out the Pacifican positions, wanting to limit the exposure that his soldiers had to the toxic fumes of the gas. This delay allowed General Villosillo to put back his lines together, however it did not restore the confidence of the men in the line. Despite all of the conditioning and training the Pacifican warriors went through this was too much and the lines collapsed. Villosillo would rally a brigade of men together at the village of Sate where he would prepare his last stand. The Battle of Sate would take place on October 28,1871. It would last for four hours and end with General Villosillo and his staff dying while defending their headquarters. With the Battle of Sate the Ryukyu Islands campaign was over, no organized Pacifican forces existed on any of the islands. Groups of Pacifican Soldiers turned bandits would be an issue for the citizens of Okinawa for years to come however.

Manila Bay

Admiral Noriyoshi Akamatsu and his fleet sailed into the bay of Manila. Behind them were the burning wrecks of the Pacifican Home Fleet off the coast of Scarborough Atol. Almost all of them had been wooden ships with their few Ironclads having retreated rather than face destruction. He had a message to send well two actually if the need arises, from the Emperor. Despite the crimes committed by the Pacificans he would be willing to accept peace now that the Ryukyu Islands had been restored. They had one chance to escape destruction, accept peace now and never turn their eyes northward again. The Captain of the Kongo went ashore under the white flag of peace, while in the gun barbets and in the battery the gunners made ready to send the second message should the Pacificans be fools.

In the Manila Cathedral Bishop Javier Johnny Monzon Nallos received the Message of the Japanese Emperor. Archbishop Aureliano Pranav Tengco Makalintal had left clear instructions on what to do should this happen before he secluded himself to pray for guidance from the lord. However, Javier knew folly and vanity when he saw it. There was no reason to think that troops defending the homeland of the CRP would fare any better than General Villosillo’s men in the Ryukyu Islands. Bishop Javier Johnny Monzon Nallos would accept the Japanese and Korean terms. He had even had his men locate the Ryukyuan royal children who were now being sent back to the Japanese ships with his most sincere apologies.

As the Japanese captain and his Naval Infantry escorts exited one of his men came up to him holding the head of Archbishop Aureliano Pranav Tengco Makalintal. “It is done your grace, the other bishops have seen the light of the lord gleaming from our swords. May I be the first to say may be the Lord be with you Archbishop Javier Johnny Monzon Nallos”

Javier Johnny Monzon Nallos smiled; Aureliano had been a fool Pacifica needed to catch up to Japan and Korea before they could challenge them. However, Aureliano’s failed war had given him the opening he had needed to take power. Now he would rebuild the Christian Republic as an Industrial powerhouse that could complete the mission of bringing all of Asia and the Pacific into the light of the Holy Father, Javier Johnny Monzon Nallos was just 23 years old he had plenty of time there was no need to rush.

The War of the Ryukyu Islands Part 3.5
Hanseong, Korean Empire

Young crown prince of Ryukyu Shō Shū and his sister Princess Kadekaru arrived at Hongseong On November 22,1871 the six year old boy had been through alot since his kidnaping and the death of his parents and his uncle and grandmother were worried about the damage that might have been done to the young child. So the decision had been made to take him out of the line of succession. In his place his uncle Shō Hitsu would become the new King of Ryukyu and his youngest son would marry Princess Kadekaru when they were both of age. Restoring the Korean Japanese dynamic that the old king had set. Until that time the two children would stay with the Korean royal family.

Kyoto, Empire of Japan

News of the end of the war was greeted as a welcome sign by the deathly ill Emperor Toshihito. He knew that his strength was failing and he had not wanted to leave a war as a burden for his son Crown prince Amano Henry Yamato. The Crown prince had been given an English middle name to honor the Prince of Wales Henry of England from Toshihito's wife's birth country. Emperor Toshihito would pass away on December 11,1871 finally losing his battle with Tuberculosis. Crown Prince Amano Henry Yamato becomes Emperor Amano. The Ruler of a resurgent Empire of Japan.

Ok so going to give an update here so to speak.

Since most of you are following Paths not taken you know that it's recirving the bulk of my writing efforts.

God Save These American States is not dead it is in a slump I will admit. This is due to me very slowly working on turning what I have written. Into a format that can be published which is not as easy as I had thought it would be.

At the same time I'm currently working on the Bible or outline for where this story will be going in the future. My last Bible ran out with the conclusion of the Bloody Decade, I've been grasping for how the story progresses since then. I had a vague idea of where it goes but I've decided I need to have a solid idea of how I get to the next great war and on from there.

Thank you all for reading and following. The story is not over just need some time to get its ducks I'm a row.

@Virginia Liberal
Just a suggestion for Pacifica but I wonder if a small progressive faction begins developing as they begin arguing how hypocritical the nation is in preaching "God's words" when they are breaking many of his own commandments to further their own expansionist interest.

Federal Republic of America in the 1870's : The Election of 1871

The Election of 1871​

The Federal Republic of America would enter the 1870’s in a mixed mood. The 1860’s had seen the close of the Plains war as the American Indians had been soundly defeated and forced to flee into the British dependency of the Crown Confederation of New Albion where they had joined the First Peoples Nation. They had also averted a war with Britain over general Custer’s ill advised raid into British Missouri. Then as the 1860’s ended the Federalists lost control of the Senate to the American Whigs for the first time in three decades.

As 1870 began America’s economy was roaring along, long forgotten were the dire days of the 1830s. The American Whigs controlled the senate as of March of 1870 when the new Senate was sworn in; they put a stop to most of the proposals the President Rothschild and Consul Harris tried to get passed with one exception on July 4,1870 the Senate would approve the Territories of Burr, Burbank, and Oregon becoming the newest states in the in the Republic. Oregon would elect 3 American Whig senators, Burr would elect two American Whig and one Federalist, and Burbank three 2 federalist and one American Whig senators to Hamilton. Indian Territory would be split in two with all land east of the Mississippi becoming the new Morton Territory. Three months later on October 15,1870 the Transcontinental Railroad would be completed when the Federal Pacific Railroad and the Pacific and Eastern Railroad connected to each other at Federal Junction (1). However, each railroad would continue to build with the FP striking west towards Port Hamilton (2) and the P&E aiming towards eastern markets along the Mississippi.

As 1870 drew to a close the American Whigs were already looking toward the Fall of 1871 both the Presidency and Senate elections and expanding their hold on the Senate. The Federalists that had shut them out of the executive branch since 1859.

The Revival of the American Whig Party had been led by a new generation of politicians. These young men were backed by the wealthy Robber Barons who desperately wanted to see the Rothschild reforms rolled back or eliminated. The leader of these Young Whigs as they coined themselves was forty year old Allister Everett, Governor of Pennsylvania. Allister was the son of William J. Everett, the president of the Pennsylvania Central Railroad. In 1869 Allister had been responsible for orchestrating the American Whig resurgence. The key to his success stemmed from several speeches he had given on his way to the Pennsylvania Governor’s office. These speeches centered on the line “Every man a king, and every home is his castle”. If you believed Allister and the other young Whigs, the FRA was the one country in America, no in the world, where a person could be born into poverty but die richer than a king. As long as the government didn't place so many restrictions upon industrial enterprises to prevent this rise from being possible. Unlike older Whigs Allister and the other young Whigs campaigned on rolling back the older regulations that came about following the 1830s. Instead they campaigned on “reforming the reforms”, to allow the FRA’s industries to truly shine. How these changes would be done and what would be changed they simply glossed over never outlining them in detail. Allister and the Young Whigs also championed American expansionism claiming that they shouted that they would not have folded to the British over the Yellowstone incident, and used it to take British Missouri for the Republic. They also campaigned on taking Alto California from the Mexican Empire either by purchase or by force if need be.

Going into the Election of 1871 the Federalist Party was firmly on the backfoot from the fallout of the 1869 election. Inside the party there was a lot of finger pointing as to what caused it. The Traditional wing of the party stated that the Working Class wing had gotten too greedy and had given the Whigs the political momentum to back the Federalist Party into the corner. For the most part they were correct. The Working class wing however decried that the Traditionalist had broken the party by siding with the Whig on several key votes, they claimed that it was this betrayal that had backed the Federalist party into this corner. Again they had a legitimate claim.
This infight would take a violent turn as the two wings primaried candidates against one another and the supporters often erupted into fist fights. As the Election drew closer the Working Class Wing losing in most of the primaries would vote to leave the party. On August 12,1871 they would found the American Labor Party. Much like the Whigs had following the depression of the 1830s the Federalist party had splintered under the pressure of trying to hang on to the control of the government for more than two decades. The Federalist party would Nominate Governor Zachariah Townson of Delaware to run for the Presidency. Towson was a known critic of President Rothschild and the then workers wing of the Federalist party, however Townson was not a young man and at the age of seventy-two he was the oldest man to run for presidency and the last to have been able to actually talk with Alexander Hamilton before his death.

Following the American Labor Party breaking away from the Federalist party the Federalist Party would fall back on its platform from the 1840’s. This was an emphasis on supporting the national bank, national defense, protection of the Republic’s industry from foreign competition and strict control of Immigration into the country to keep the Republic’s Anglo-Saxon, German heritage intact. The American Labor Party wanted to run Consul Levi Morton (Fed-PA) for president. However, Morton was disheartened that the Federalist Party had split; he firmly believed that the two halves were stronger together; instead he chose to retire to his home in Pittsburg. Instead of Morton the American Labor Party chose Governor Abraham Theodore Garfield the Governor of Erie as their candidate for the Presidency. Garfield was a war veteran having served in the Anglo American War of 1844 and risen to the Rank of Brigadier General. He was also a champion of reforms to support the average working American.

The American Labor Party would transform the federalist platform of the early 1860’s into their platform, with its planks focused on maintaining and expanding the reforms of the Rothchild administration. It called for reform of the defense budget, and the redistribution of the excess defense funds into a national basic income for working class people.

For the American Whigs they thought the split of the Federalist party would guarantee them control of the senate much like their division had done for the Federalist after the Federal Republicans broke away. They would continue with what they had been having success with in the last election cycle. The American Whigs never had a doubt who they were going to run for president Allister Everett the governor of Pennsylvania was their unanimous choice for President.

October 2, 1871 would shock many American Whigs who were expecting that they would end up with twenty to twenty five seats in the Senate. They would have a clear majority of fourteen seats, however they found that the Federalist had clawed at their hold on those people who felt uncomfortable with the reforms that had taken place over the last twenty years; and came out of the Midterm election with ten seats. The American Labor Party was the most surprised as many of them had honestly believed that they had the broad support of the people of the Republic. The American Labor Party came out of the Midterms with just six seats in the senate and didn’t hold a majority in any state.

The Presidential Race would go differently. While both the American Whigs and American Labor candidates ran on their vastly different viewpoints and policies as governor. Garfield successfully rebuking Everett’s charges that the Income tax was a drain on the American People in a series of debates with the now famous exchange

Allister Everett: “The Income tax that your party created and champions will see all Americans reduced to slaved of the Federal Government”

Abraham Garfield: “ No sir! The structure of the Income tax’s very nature means that the Average American pays either nothing of less than five percent of their yearly pay. And receive an amount equal to 65% of their yearly pay in benefits. No Sir. The Only people who fear the Income Tax are your Robber Baron benefactors.”

That exchange in the presidential debate in New York would crisscross the country’s newspapers thanks to the telegraph network. It and others like it damaged Everett's reputation and undercut the American Whig platform which centered on attacking the Federal Income Tax.

Meanwhile Governor Townson’s comparison done the old fashion way via surrogates with the Governor doing little outside of Delaware himself called for a return to the traditional values of the Federal Republic as espoused by its founding father Alexander Hamilton. It decried the catering to the extreme ends of the population that the other two parties were doing, instead of living within the values of Hamilton. These values are faith in the strong Federal Government, ensuring the Budget is balanced or close to it and ensuring national defense.

On October 2nd it was Townson’s message that swayed the majority of voters with him winning a majority of the votes. The American Whigs once again fell short of the Executive wing (commonly starting to be called the West Wing) of the Federal Palace and the American Labor Party now found themselves on the outside looking in with a Federalist President in the Executive wing.

Presidential Election 1871
Zachariah Townson (F-De) 51.5% of the vote.
Abraham T. Garfield (ALP-Ee) 25% of the Vote.
Allister Everett (AW-Pa) 23.5% of the Vote.

Senate Elections
American Labor Party Federalist PartyAmerican Whig Party
New York111
Pennsylvania003
New Jersey102
Delaware120
Erie120
Ohio102
Mississippi021
Burr102
Burbank021
Oregon012
total61014

1. OTL Montpelier, Idaho
  2. OTL Coos Bay, Oregon

Last edited:
Its back!!!
I apologize for the long pause and hope it doesn't disappoint.
The FRA chapter has been broken up into two parts cause I had hit three pages going on to the fourth with just the Election of 1871 and I still got eight years to get thought.