Where should the next update take place ?

• The Battle of Santa Fe

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • The Guns of Cherbourg

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • The Fourth Battle of Toledo

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Battle of the Rhone

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
France in the 1870's Beyond the Andes War and the Start of the Steelclad Race

Franco-Spanish Empire​

The France the 1870’s would start out as a time of marvel, as France jumped out ahead of everyone else with the Commissioning of the world's first Steelclad Battleships the l'Armure and
L'incassable in 1871. They would be followed by three more such ships being laid down towards the end of the same year. However the decade was quickly consumed by the Andes War that broke out when Peru declared war on France and invaded New Aquitaine. France, faced with war for the first time, would mobilize and send the fleet and reinforcements to South America. The war would prove to be a bloody affair as the first mechanical machine guns had appeared and both sides were armed with bolt action repeating rifles. The French people as well as the French General staff would grow quite concerned by the casualty reports coming back to Europe from the South American Front. The French Generals had not been idle in the years since the end of the Bloody Decade and had implemented changes that they believed would relieve the casualties in any future war.

However the Andes war would show them that any modern war was going to be a bloody affair. Still after the Peace Treaty of 1873 the French general staff would seek to improve what they could. The first change was the adoption of a modern steel helmet as a means to decrease the number of traumatic head wounds that so many soldiers had suffered from. There was some thought of bringing back the Cuirass for infantry however after testing in the later years of the decade this was discarded. These tests would result in the adoption of the M1879 Helmet to replace the kepi in the standard french battle uniform, the Kepi would remain in the dress uniform. The bright blues and golds of the battle uniform would also be replaced by a muted Horizon blue M1879 uniform. The Bright blue and gold uniforms would be retained in the dress uniforms. Finally the tubular magazine of the Clovis Rifle was at a disadvantage when compared to the Clip based or Top fed magizings of other repeatign rifles that had been introduced into service over the last two decades. This would see the start of the development of a new rifle to replace the Clovis Rifle however as the decade ended this rifle was still on the drawing boards.

On March 7,1874 King Charles X would pass away. At seventy five years Charles had been king for just eighteen years. He had led The Kingdom during a period where the Republicans, not the monarchist, had held power and had seen the House of Peers become a partially elected institution. Upon his father’s death the Crown Prince Francis would declare himself unfit for the crown. Francis had always been a sickly person and his doctors believed that the stress of the Kingship would send him to an early grave. His eldest son had been killed in the fighting in South America So it was his second son Christophe who would be crowned King Christophe on October 5,1874. Aside from the way in which he came to the throne the biggest change was that he was just nineteen years old and still unwed. This meant that until he married the heir to the throne would be his fifty nine year old uncle Henri, and gave the tabloids of Paris many issues of stories on who the young King would wed. Would he take a princess to be his queen or would he a princess from another country? The daughter of a French noble? Or would she be a modern Cinderella story and come from the third estate?

The General Election of 1875 would also see the Constitutional Monarchist regain the majority in the National Assembly, after over two decades in the minority. The Andes War having convinced the bulk of the residents of New Aquitaine that the government needed to invest more money in the military than the Republicans had done over the last twenty years. This mandate would see a series of major defense bills passed. The French Royal Army was enlarged to number on the scale of its peak during the Bloody Decade. The Royal Army of New Aquitaine was also created. The French Royal Navy would also receive a large budget allowing it to expand its docks and lay down twelve more Steelclad battleships before the end of the decade it would be this bill that would give France the clear lead in the Steelclad Arms Race that was starting amongst the industrialized nations of the world in the 1880s

Attachments

• 1681063459784.png
    1681063459784.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 95
  • L'Armour.png
    L'Armour.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 98
Well Spain still has a National army that is on par equipment wise with the French Army. Of course there are more French than Spanish living in Spain these days. And the 1880 s post will have Francophone surpass actual Spanish speakers

Well Spain still has a National army that is on par equipment wise with the French Army. Of course there are more French than Spanish living in Spain these days. And the 1880 s post will have Francophone surpass actual Spanish speakers
Spain got so screwed in this TL

I feel like something worse might still occur for them

I would say I think the way you gave Native America's a chance against the Americans was quite interesting (the adopting European Orphan idea is honestly a really clever way to give them the population boost the native would need)

Next chapter has a name and is finally being worked on. I've been distracted of late with Path's and the constant insanity of working in a mental institution plus raising children The Christian Republic of Pacifica is setting sail for new lands to convert beware the black sails

The War of the Ryukyu Islands Part 1: Christian Republic of Pacifica

Trigger Warning !!​

dex06n3-2ab7bb31-4c02-42ae-88e8-8508a1e58e53.png

(I seem to have lost my original CRP Flag luckily @CountofDooku had a cleaned up version on his DA page)

On January 31,1842 the Treaty of Manila was signed between the Christian Republic of Pacifica and the Dutch Overseas Kingdom This treaty saw the end of Dutch ownership of most of the East Indies. Over the span of twenty plus years these islands saw the construction of the Conversion Camps, Schools of the Church, Monasteries and Nunneries all run by the Black priest or the Sisters of Illumination. The Camps Monasteries and Nunneries would begin the process of the conversion or elimination of the Adult population of the Islands from their original beliefs to that of Pacifican Franciscanism. During this time period over 35% of the island's adult population would be killed off. The Children of the Islands were all rounded up and sent to the Schools of the Church. These were large schools where the children were kept from birth to age eighteen. Here they were indoctrinated into the Pacifican Franciscanist beliefs. Upon reaching the age of eighteen the children would graduate from the school’s.

For boys they would be sorted into three categories. The first category are those sent back to the Philippians to attend the leadership academies that would train them to be officers in the military or bankers or management for the Republic's developing industrial base. Or are sent to the Monasteries to enter the priesthood. For these boys upon their completion of their assigned academy they would be rewarded their first wife upon graduation and receive their entry level assignment. Those who failed to graduate from their assigned academy within five years would be demoted to soldiers. The next category is those who were to be soldiers. These boys are shipped off to military boot camps that are scattered throughout the republic.In these boot camps the boys undergo a strict training and discipline routine that lasts for six months. Those who complete basic training are divided into two categories. The bulk of them are assigned to either the Army or the Navy, however those who have demonstrated leadership or excessive bravery are sent to a second training course to become NCO’s. Those who cannot pass basic training are demoted into laborers. The boys who don’t get placed into the first two categories are placed into the laborer category. This is the bottom tier of the Pacifican Society. The Laborers are the bottom of the Pacifican Society. Laborers are all males, upon being assigned to the laborers these boys are completely emasculated by surgeons. Once they have healed they are taken to their place of labor be it farm, factory or mine. They are kept in laborer barracks there where they each receive a six by nine room that will serve as their dwelling place for the rest of their lives.

For the Girls education ends when they hit puberty. As soon as they receive their “Eve’s Blood” they are sent to the Virgin's House where they are allowed to mature till they are at least fourteen at that time the mistress of the house rates them with one of four grades. These grades are based upon several factors. The Woman’s appearance the more beautiful the girl the better, the size of her breast to determine if she will be able to feed children, the size and shape of her hips for bearing children, and lastly her height. The women who are rated the most beautiful with the best features to bear their husbands the most children are given a grade of an A. Grades go down from there the C grade is a woman who is not beautiful to look at but still has a body that can bear children. C grade girls generally end up as the first wives to common soldiers who have completed their five years of front line service following boot camp. C grade girls are also given to men as second wives if their first wife has trouble bearing children. D grade girls fare the worst; they are placed in pleasure houses for the soldiers who are on front line deployments or have lactation induced and are used as wet nurses.

Not all children in Pacifica suffer this fate just the most. If a man raises high enough in the military, the bureaucracy, or the priesthood then they can keep up to three of their children from each wife with them. These men will also have multiple wives; the Archbishop will often have as many as six wives.

The extremes that Pacifica has evolved its version of Franciscanism has led the European and American branches of the movement to remove Pacifica from their meeting and the International Communion of St. Francisco.

Major change to the CRP came on June 21,1871 when Archbishop Aureliano Pranav Tengco Makalintal who had ruled the CRP since 1841 finally passed away. The Council of Bishops immediately convinced to elected the next Archbishop. What followed was a month of debate and bribery that led to the 30 year old Godofredo Marcus Palad Medel the Bishop of Davao winning the election and being crowned the new Archbishop of Pacifica. Medel was an expansionist and wanted to expand the Republic. Most of the Bishops wanted to invade the East Indies Federation however Medel was opposed to this. He had his sights aimed to the north. In the long run he wanted to invade and conquer Japan however he knew he need a base from which to invade from and his most trusted generals and admirals drew up plans to conquer the Ryukyu Islands. So in late August the CRP began to gather troops, ships and supplies to go to war.

The next spring a fleet of 45 warships and 56 transports left Manila bay sailing north. The fleet consisted of a vast mixture of ships. While most were steam powered over 75% of them were wooden hulled vessels with only ten of the warships being Ironclads and of those ten only four were iron hulled ships not converted wooden frigates Admiral Perry Macario Abucay Balangao’s flagship the Crusader was one of those precious ten Ironclads. Admiral Balangao knew that the CRP was struggling to modernize. The Army was still mostly armed with single shot breech loading trapdoor conversions and most of the navy was still the sailing ships that had defected from the fall of the Union of Iberian Christian Republics over 50 years ago now. They had worked fine against the Dutch twenty years ago but he was worried that the Bishops were going to kick up a hornet's nest that the Navy and Army would have a hard time putting down. The Ryukyu Islands were protected by both the Empire of Japan and the Korean Empire.

As the sun came over the horizon on June 27,1871 the Pacifican Fleet was drawn up surrounding the island of Okinawa. The Small Ryukyu Navy had already been dispatched and the infantry was being ferried to shore. Smaller detachments had been sent to the other islands but if there was going to be a fight it would be here.

dg0i0l6-67c58f79-58e3-4548-8a54-de5ff6fdd968.png

CRP Enlisted Soldier thanks to @CountofDooku

Last edited:
Pacifica seems like a backward place technologically. That probably will end up screwing them over in the end once all the "savages" are conquered in their area and they fight "actual nations" who are ahead

Pacifica seems like a backward place technologically. That probably will end up screwing them over in the end once all the "savages" are conquered in their area and they fight "actual nations" who are ahead
Yes they are a generation behind the rest of the Industrialized world. They are working hard to catch up but their society organization really handicaps them

Yes they are a generation behind the rest of the Industrialized world. They are working hard to catch up but their society organization really handicaps them
Would their beliefs also have something to do with it?
I know tradition can cause some tension in whether or not to accept certain tech

If you want to show Pacifica's uniforms they are white with purple trim I picture them as similar to Civil War Zouave uniforms
Might take some time until I get to them (most likely at the weekends or so as I have other projects planned or promised allready), just White with Purple? Can I get a rogue scetch what colors should go where? Also what kind of face do you want me to give the guy, is there a Pacifica specific beard or stuff that could go well with it? Some PN would be helpfull with a few more details what should go where ^^

Last edited:
Without Washington, the US would look very different even if they won the war, IMO. Some Founding Fathers read into Confucianism and Islam and took in mind their traditions of good governance when they developed their own deist or Christian philosophies, and without Washington, there could be a very different intellectual current in American churches, universities, and political organizations whose effects greatly change everything in American history.

The US also consisted of former colonies who often chafed with each other and had quite a few years of established culture before the Declaration. So, there's a decent chance that, without him, the States would be in a comparable situation to modern-day China, Russia, or Nigeria.

Without Washington, the US would look very different even if they won the war, IMO. Some Founding Fathers read into Confucianism and Islam and took in mind their traditions of good governance when they developed their own deist or Christian philosophies, and without Washington, there could be a very different intellectual current in American churches, universities, and political organizations whose effects greatly change everything in American history.

The US also consisted of former colonies who often chafed with each other and had quite a few years of established culture before the Declaration. So, there's a decent chance that, without him, the States would be in a comparable situation to modern-day China, Russia, or Nigeria.
This is true there are lots of different paths that open up with a colonial Era pod

Always great to see this updated! Decided to catalogue a list of the current Monarchs last mentioned for each nation giving notes to the ones getting up in their years haha!

Empire Mexico/ Grand Duchy of Mesomerica: Juan Carlos I
Kingdom of Hawaii: Roberto I
Kingdom of Peru/True Spain: Felipe I & VI
Kingdom of France: Christophe I
Russian Empire: Ivan VII
Kingdom of Hungary/Croatia: Stephen IX & III (67)
Byzantine Empire: Paul I (in his 70’s)
Second Empire of Bulgaria: Vladimir II
Crown Republic Poland: Karol I
Kingdom of Bavaria: Maximillian II
United Kingdom of Britain and Dominions: Robert IV
United Portuguese Empire: Angelica I (59)
Empire of the Cape: Sophie I
Empire of Colombia: Leoncio I
Empire of Ethiopia: Tekle Giyorgis II
Italian Empire: Napoleon II (in his 70’s)
Crown Republic of Slovenia: Girolamo I (died in OTL 1860)
Kingdom of Egypt: Rahman I
Swedish Empire: Gustav V (in his 70’s)
New Ireland: James I
Ottoman Empire: Mahmud II
Persian Empire: Karim II
Empire of Japan: Toshihito