Thank you for pointing this out before I went on my multi-paragraph rant about Antoinette being a kind person
I see your multi paragraph rant and raise you the paper that I wrote in college about Antoinette's misogynistic treatment by her male contemporaries, especially the 'revolutionaries' (I put that in quotes because the leading figures of the French revolution literally had each other guillotined, they were not a cohesive group)

Last edited:
I raise your multi paragraph rant and give you the paper that I wrote in college about Antoinette's misogynistic treatment by her male contemporaries, especially the 'revolutionaries' (I put that in quotes because the leading figures of the French revolution literally had each other guillotined, they were not a cohesive group)
You're my new best friend

This is always more wonderful. So Frankie was able to find a great match for Theodolinde with a ruler, like her sisters (leaving poor Eugenie as the ATL worst married).
And the Albert vs Coburgs part was also great.

People always forget that Marie Antoinette actually did care about the less fortunate. She just didn't have the skills or education to make anything better of her impulses.
Thank you for saying this out before I went on my multi-paragraph rant about Antoinette being a kind person
Antoinette was kind and was definitely NOT guilty of most of the things of which she was accused. Louis and the whole Versailles system had much more faults and blame than her

The King Is Dead, God Save The Queen
Probably ASB, but with a POD in 1826, who knows?

Soundtrack: Händel, Samson, Let The Bright Seraphim Receive Him

*establishing shot of Camelford House in London's Oxford Street* *date flashes: 28 July 1837[1]* *its late afternoon* *we see several men climb out of the carriage and be shown inside* *we see the house is still in a state of "undress". Like people have just moved in and haven't finished unpacking yet* *one can almost imagine that one will still find fabric swatches on the furniture* *the men are shown into the dining room* *where the Princess Alexandrina of Kent, newly lady of the house, is sitting down at the lunch table* *with her at the table is her mother, the Duchess of Kent* *her half-brother, Prince Carl of Leiningen* *Prince William of Weimar* *Alexandrina's half-sister, Feodore and her husband, the prince of Hohenlohe*
William: so there we were, Albert and I, and we're in this glacier in Tirol, and there's this physician wandering in...calm as you please. *to Alexandrina* so I say to him, say, Albert, you know a lot, what do you call a doctor in a glacier? He looks at me, and he says, "Why Billy, I have no idea"-
Alexandrina: so what do you call a doctor in a glacier?
William: a quack in the ice.
*young people at the table burst out laughing*
Duchess of Kent: *just scowls in disapproval*
*footman gives message to chamberlain* *chamberlain walks around to Alexandrina* *whispers in her ear* *she rises from the table* *the rest of the company rises* *she motions for them to sit down*
Alexandrina: if you'll excuse me for just a moment.
Duchess of Kent: Drina, I shall come with you.
Alexandrina: no mama, you shall stay at table. I am the mistress of this household, not you.
Duchess of Kent: *mother tone* Drina-
Alexandrina: *walks out of the room before her mother can say anything further*
Chamberlain: Your Royal Highness, the callers are waiting in the sitting room. *leads the way*
Alexandrina: *checks her hair and her dress in a mirror as they pass* *enters the sitting room* *some of the furniture is still dustsheeted* *four men are standing around the room* *two of them are in military dress* *one is clearly something clerical* *a fourth is another uniform*
Alexandrina: milords?
*the gentlemen suddenly snap to attention*
Marquess of Conyngham (the man in the other uniform): *falls to his knees* *takes her hand in his* *kisses it* your Majesty...the king is dead, long live the queen.
*other men repeat the gesture in turn*
Alexandrina: *swallows* *sits down on the only uncovered chair in the room* *looks at Benjamin West's portrait of her father and the then duke of Clarence[1]* but I thought his Majesty was recovering, her Majesty said that-
William Howley, Archbishop of Canterbury: this morning, his Majesty was sitting up in bed. He received the queen, several others...spoke at length with Lord Mulgrave about the situation in Ireland. He had an early lunch and said he wished to have a rest. About two hours ago, when Doctor Davies checked in on him, he was still coherent enough to answer the doctor's questions. But when Doctor Davies was called in half an hour ago...the king asked...*lump* whether the sails were set properly, and that he could see the headlands of the Long Island Sound.
*men are sombre*
Alexandrina: and you, Sir Herbert? why are you here?
Herbert Taylor, William's private secretary: his Majesty dictated a letter for your Majesty this morning. To be delivered on this...occasion. His Majesty also dictated that Henry *motions to other man in uniform, who is holding a package* bring you the king's papers.
Henry Wheatley, Keeper of the Privy Purse: *steps forward* *offers packet of papers to the new queen*. the other boxes are in the carriage, ma'am.[3]
Alexandrina: *hands trembling* *takes the letter* *takes the package* thank you, milords...if that is to be all?
4 men: *take the hint*
Alexandrina: *sits on the chair* *looking completely lost and overwhelmed as the camera zooms out*

[1] William IV lives a little bit longer. And thanks to pressure from her brother - who's caving to Prince Albert - the duchess of Kent is forced to accept William IV's offer of a separate establishment for her daughter. There was no specific reason beyond choosing Camelford except for the fact that Leopold's name is technically still on the lease taken for he and Charlotte.
Benjamin West's portrait of William (left) and Edward (right)
Prince_William_and_Prince_Edward_1778.jpg
[3] OTL, Taylor and Wheatley destroyed most of William IV's papers (presumably on his instructions) for fear that transferring them to Kensington (and thus indirectly into the hands of Sir John Conroy) would lead to many of them being used to discredit the late king (amongst other reasons). Here, with Victoria possessing her own household, the papers are given to her directly.

@The_Most_Happy @isabella @VVD0D95 @Jan Olbracht @Tarabas @Ramontxo @HortenseMancini @Anarch King of Dipsodes @Dragonboy @Fehérvári @kaiidth

And so William IV goes with God and Victoria I Enters the stage. ALbert better secure his place besides her.
I approve of Vicky having her own household hopefully, she retains her independence.
Am I bad person in imagining that the brief "respite" between Kensington and the throne makes her a little bit more "wilful" to Lord Melbourne? It's only been around two months that she's hd her own pad, so probably not much more wilful, but probably also "less" broken-winged birdie who's been so eager to get away from her mom that she'll genuinely just do anything to piss her off/do the opposite of what she says?

Am I bad person in imagining that the brief "respite" between Kensington and the throne makes her a little bit more "wilful" to Lord Melbourne? It's only been around two months that she's hd her own pad, so probably not much more wilful, but probably also "less" broken-winged birdie who's been so eager to get away from her mom that she'll genuinely just do anything to piss her off/do the opposite of what she says?
From experience, let me tell you that 2 months away from constant emotional and mental abuse / manipulation does wonders for how you see the world and yourself. Also makes you a little more paranoid about people doing it again.

Victoria will need an 'acceptable' female relative to head up her household while she lives away from her mom, though - may I suggest one of William IV's daughters? Lady de L'Isle, the Countess of Hay, Lady Fox, Lady Gordon, or Lady Carey could all work, and it would make the Duchess of Kent absolutely lose her mind.

Victoria really just went from one controller to the next: her mother, Melbourne, Albert. It wasn't until his death that she really got to be in control, hence her being so dramatic and overbearing in her control.

Last edited:
From experience, let me tell you that 2 months away from constant emotional and mental abuse / manipulation does wonders for how you see the world and yourself. Also makes you a little more paranoid about people doing it again.
also Albert's likely going to actually fight to get her to like him, not just say the right things but sort of "prove" that he can put his money where his mouth is?

would probably be the highest ranking of those, right?
I believe in order of rank it goes: Countess of Hay, Lady Carey, Lady de L'Isle, Lady Gordon, and lastly Lady Fox.

So probably the Countess of Hay, but Lady Carey could do as well if her sister can't for whatever reason.

also Albert's likely going to actually fight to get her to like him, not just say the right things but sort of "prove" that he can put his money where his mouth is?
Oh yeah, he's going to have to show her that he's worth it. That whole thing about loving somebody being like handing them a loaded gun and trusting them not to use it on you is a very appropriate metaphor for this situation, particularly since by marrying him, Victoria is quite literally putting herself at his mercy in both her 'professional' and personal lives.

What got me with my husband is that he stuck around and he stuck up for me and what I wanted / needed. He was on my team, absolutely, from day one. That's what I think Victoria is going to need to see from Albert, especially with Mama Dearest now backing his suit. He needs to seperate himself quick, fast, and in a hurry from the Duchess of Kent and Conroy - and none of OTL BS he spouted about the Duchess being misled and Conroy being the only villian.

(Sorry for the rant, I have very strong feelings about this lol)

Oh yeah, he's going to have to show her that he's worth it. That whole thing about loving somebody being like handing them a loaded gun and trusting them not to use it on you is a very appropriate metaphor for this situation, particularly since by marrying him, Victoria is quite literally putting herself at his mercy in both her 'professional' and personal lives
👏👏👏👏👏 Very well said! Albert's definity going to show her he's worth it and he will go the extra mile for her

What got me with my husband is that he stuck around and he stuck up for me and what I wanted / needed. He was on my team, absolutely, from day one. That's what I think Victoria is going to need to see from Albert, especially with Mama Dearest now backing his suit. He needs to seperate himself quick, fast, and in a hurry from the Duchess of Kent and Conroy - and none of OTL BS he spouted about the Duchess being misled and Conroy being the only villian.
:happyblush:happyblush:happyblush:happyblush ahhh! That's so cute! And do boubt, albert's smarter than that.

I believe in order of rank it goes: Countess of Hay, Lady Carey, Lady de L'Isle, Lady Gordon, and lastly Lady Fox.

So probably the Countess of Hay, but Lady Carey could do as well if her sister can't for whatever reason.
If the Countess of Hay isn't available (or rejected by the Whigs due to her sister-in-law's marriage to Wellington's son and heir) what about Caroline Montagu, Duchess of Montrose (b.1770) aka the woman who called Victoria "Mrs Melbourne". IIRC William and Adelaide were both slightly disillusioned with the Whigs by this point, and while there would be a Whig government under Lord Melbourne, it's not like he's recommending Lady Peel (who the Hays were also connected to by marriage).

I was going to suggest the Duchess of Buccleuch but since she's born in 1811, she might be seen as too young, no?
Oh yeah, he's going to have to show her that he's worth it. That whole thing about loving somebody being like handing them a loaded gun and trusting them not to use it on you is a very appropriate metaphor for this situation, particularly since by marrying him, Victoria is quite literally putting herself at his mercy in both her 'professional' and personal lives.

(Sorry for the rant, I have very strong feelings about this lol)
While I don't know that Albert will be that daring outright (might take some trial and error) I have every confidence that thanks to making friends with her nephew, Bertie might get some "in" with Queen Adelaide. I know between 1837 and 1840 her aunt was the main royal woman Victoria was listening to (and also the source of OTL Vicky's second/third name). Which means Adele championing (or at least having a kind word or two about Albert) would not only mean "a lot" - I have an idea that Albert was doing a LOT of sucking up - think golfball through a hosepipe type sucking - to the Dowager Queen here without his aunt/uncle's say so. OTL the dowager queen was sort of excluded/retired after 1840. And Adele was a shrewd woman, she knew how to "manage" William IV after all, but she also didn't particularly care for the Duchess of Kent - Adele's retirement coincides with the duchess' "return" - so she would no doubt see the value of detaching Albert from his aunt (once she realizes that William of Weimar is no longer an option).

All I can say is poor Albert: Uncle Leopold will be bombarding him with (unsolicited) advice from Brussels, his aunt from Kensington, his dad from Coburg, William of Weimar from Bushy Park and Frankie from Vienna. I wouldn't blame him if Adele is sort of the one bit of peace and quiet, one person NOT telling him what to do (which is why Victoria liked her aunt OTL as well AIUI). Instead of commiserating about dead parents and bad childhoods, Victoria and Albert are both like... Can everyone just shut the fuck up? And if Albert tells uncle Leopold that "you need to back the hell off" because he's ignoring his niece's objections and still sending five letters a day...on Victoria's behalf (IDK why, just seeing Albert returning from her coronation via Brussels with a packet of unopened letters Léo sent his niece and dumping them on the man's desk. After all, I suspect the scarcity of Bertie's responses from Italy was also him shouting "stop trying to control me!"[1]).

I don't think Albert - born of a troubled marriage and also, having seen what Frankie's been doing in terms of reconciliations, is going to just allow Victoria and her mom to just... stay on the outs... But I do think he'll have more of a backbone and not be looking for a new mommy-figure (he, Frankie and the rest) are likely all surrogate kids for not just Empress Karoline but possibly the Duchesse de Berri, perhaps even Madame Royal (to a lesser degree). Ergo, Albert is going to be less "agreeable" to his aunt and probably make her understand that "your reconciliation is at your daughter's sufferance, I suggest you grovel, Madam".

[1] This being said in the "you're not my dad" tone. Which is also why I stopped watching Jenna Coleman's Victoria. Where they made it that Albert is actually Leopold's kid. I was like the guy already has some serious psychological issues from his mom OTL, now you want to still go dump shit like that on him for the sake of audience ratings? Partially, I get it... Its just the sort of selfish asshole Leopold genuinely was... But to drop a bomb like that on a newly orphaned kid, "oh just BTW, Luke, I am your father"... Would've been enough to make Albert put a gun in his mouth[2]. It's why I don't agree with a habit that people have of inserting a letter in their last will saying to their kid "you're actually adopted" or "you're actually so-and-so's kid". It's the height of selfishness, I feel if you didn't have the guts to say it while you're alive, don't say it from the grave. Unless there's an actual reason (like you've inherited an otherwise inexplicable hereditary disease - at 63yo my aunt was forced to deal with finding out that not only wasn't her daddy her daddy, her mommy wasn't her mommy either, because her son got sick and needed a transplant, and nobody in the family was a match. So not only did she have to cope with the stress of that her son might die, but now to find out her whole life was a lie), it serves absolutely no purpose for telling a child "we adopted you because your aunt got knocked up by a soldier at 16 and couldn't raise you" (I wish I was joking, but happened to my varsity roommate's dad) beyond screwing them up. It's selfish and something like trying to have the last laugh from the grave

[2] imagine how much whining we'd have heard from Bertie if he was alive nowadays and had access to therapists and got a whole lot of traction out of playing the victi- oh wait, we don't have to. Since it's practically Prince Harry.

Last edited:
Clang-Clang-Clang Went The Trolley, Ding-Ding-Ding Went The Bell
Soundtrack: Carolus Anton Fodor, Symphony no. 4 in C Minor

*establishing shot* *we see a train "racing" across the open countryside* *cut to inside a coach* *young man practically bouncing in his seat* *opposite sits a portly older gentleman in a Dutch army uniform*
Henri: *keeps looking out the window at the countryside* I've never gone this fast. I've also never been to the Netherlands. So I'm not sure which I'm more excited about. *the way he says "Netherlands" you can hear he means the Low Countries in general not just part of it*
Bernhard of Saxe-Weimar [aka the man in the Dutch army uniform]: they do not have trains in Vienna, your Royal Highness?
Henri: Monsieur Barrrande told me that Chevalier von Gerstner had been lobbying for it for a while before he died, his son's taken over. And they're busy laying some tracks for a new line between Vienna and Prague. But all we have at the moment are still horse-drawn trams. Which are fun and all, but they don't go anywhere near as fast. The Prince Furstenberg has just bought the Prague-Pilsen line, and there's talk that he plans to extend it all the way to Lundenberg-[1] I'm babbling aren't I?
Bernhard: *smiles indulgently at the prince* not at all your Royal Highness
Henri: François- the duc de Reichstadt- says I speak like I ate bullets for breakfast.
Bernhard: I'm sure he'd know.
Henri: *astutely* now you disapprove *phrased but not meant as a question*
Bernhard: it's not my place to say.
Henri: I know the tone, Prince. My mother and aunt use it to speak of the duc d'Orléans.
Bernhard: not of the duc de Reichstadt?
Henri: that varies from day to day. Hour to hour, one might say. Mostly when they use it nowadays, it's when he does something they disapprove of.
Bernhard: like sending you to Brussels?
Henri: that was my decision to accompany your son and Prince Albert. François supported it, but he didn't suggest I go. No...their disapproval is more him establishing his "boarding house" - as my aunt calls it - in Venice. Or that he could get his grandfather to sign off on a match between the duke of Modena's son and Mademoiselle Théodelinde-
Bernhard: *surprised* the emperor approved it? I thought the duke of Teschen and the duke of Modena were both trying to get an archduchess for the hereditary prince?
Henri: *smiles* that's partially why the emperor agreed. While he refused to allow it for the grand duke of Tuscany some years ago, he feels that the duke of Teschen has no interests in Italy. And the grand duke of Tuscany and Archduke Rainier both backed him up on it. Of course, neither were thrilled by the idea of Mademoiselle Théodelinde, but not having much in the way of alternative options. The duke of Modena refused the Archduchess Adélaïde for his son - courtesy of his wife hating her mother - and the grand duke of Tuscany's daughter is seen as...too young and the grand duke as too liberal. The only other option was the Prince of Salerno's daughter and Modena thought that she was too low.
Bernhard: but Mademoiselle de Beauharnais is not?
Henri: Mademoiselle de Beauharnais is sister to the Empress-Dowager of Brasil and the Queen of Sweden, daughter of the viceroy of Italy...perhaps the duke harbours ambitions of filling his father's shoes as viceroy of Milan? Plus, there's her name-
Bernhard: her name, sir?
Henri: Theodelinde, Queen of the Lombards. She is to Italy what Saint Clothilde is to France or Saint Olga is to Russia.
Bernhard: *nods*
Henri: -and the fact that her mother is a Wittelsbach princess, goddaughter of my aunt's mother. Also, having a sister who is a Catholic queen of a Protestant Sweden is less of a hassle to sell the pope than having a who's mother is still an active Protestant.
Bernhard: *clearly not getting why this makes an issue* of course, sir
Henri: plus François has arranged with the crown prince of Sweden to "grant" - by which he means sell - the dukedom of Galliera and the Palazzo Galliera in Bologna to Mademoiselle Théodelinde as a dowry. The duke was - when that idea was suggested - more than willing to pay double what the Marquis de Ferrari was willing to buy it for.
Bernhard: and where does he get this seemingly endless supply of funds? As I heard, his mother is still in charge of his inheritance.
Henri: *smiles* that is the only reason he hasn't shuttered his...boarding house. If only until the railways that he's letting them build through his dukedom in Bohemia are done-
Bernhard: I don't follow
Henri: he asked Monsieur Barrande and Chevalier von Gerstner's son, think Prince Furstenberg and Prince Starnberg were also involved...to examine the dukedom of Reichstadt for potential railways. Then, after the duchess of Parma realized her jewellery had been...removed-
Bernhard: stolen
Henri: considering he paid for them, potentially in full, possibly more than they're worth, he simply neglected to tell his mother that he was taking them as recompense.
Bernhard: he paid for them?
Henri: to build the railways through Reichstadt's territory, he needs his mother's permission. So...he went to Parma and convinced her that since she seldom visits Vienna to "free her of the cares of management" by signing over Reichstadt into a sort of "regency" - although he called it an administration. - He has free rein to deal with any business or industry - including railways and mines - regarding the dukedom, and she gets the money. Reichstadt already has a textile industry, a sugar mill, breweries, brickyards, glassworks, more than a bit of farmland...but the roads are so bad that he says it would be easier to get around on horseback than by coach. He took Monsieur Leitenberger[2]
Bernhard: the industrialist?
Henri: oui, with him to look at the place, and apparently, Leitenberger saw that there was a lot of potential but almost as much waste. For instance, the roads will have to be repaired[3]. A school built to train the workers before they can even think of building a railway[4]
Bernhard: and the duchess sold her diamonds for that?
Henri: if there's one thing François is good at- I dare specializes in- it's that he's the sort of man who could sell sand in the desert. Modena is a case in point, my sister's wedding...how many princes do you think would want a match with my sister? He convinced the biggest fish in Italy to wave off a match with the queen of the Belgians' sister and one of the richest Austrian archduchesses around...to marry Louise. He calls it "the art of the possible"[5].
Bernhard: so how does...this...connect to the boarding house?
Henri: in order to "develop" Reichstadt and make it profitable. He needs money. Basically he's just got his army pay and the odd gift of cash from the emperor...the rest is all controlled by his mother according to the Congress of Vienna-
Bernhard: in other words, not a brass centime.
Henri: exactly. So, the money has to come from somewhere. And since he gave his portion from his grandmother to the city of Rome to build a new hospital, to train midwives to assist in the births of poor women-[6]
Bernhard: prostitutes?
Henri: them too. he's doing it in Venice, too. And encouraged the grand duke of Tuscany to give it a try. My sister is...working...on convincing her husband to allow it[7]. He told her that once she gives him a duke of Calabria he'll consider it.
Bernhard: and they've all agreed to a Spedale Napoleone?
Henri: he named it in his mother's honour, the Spedale Maria Ludovica.[8]
Bernhard: *visibly touched*
Henri: -he also tried to establish a school, but he and his Holiness couldn't come to an agreement about it. The pope wanted it to have priests for teachers, he was trying for it to be a sort of...Ecole Polytechnique in Rome. Not so much free-thinkers but technically minded men who can encourage industry. It's why he's neglecting to call his boarding house a school-
Bernhard: hardly a school.
Henri: but it is, sir. The girls will be taught the same things Louise learned...dress, deportment, dance...traditional girly things. But Louise was also given the same education as most archduchesses: history, geography, economics, languages, music [9]. When you compare that with my cousin in Brussels: taught to knit and net purses, or her sister in Pisa...taught to draw and paint...speaking as a man, I know which one I would prefer.
Bernhard: so its the Scuola degli' Infantas *smiles at his joke*
Henri: not exactly, sir. Calling it a "scuola" or a "collegia" means there's immediately going to be a demand by the pope for it to be staffed by nuns. Which then turns it into my grandfather's failure that was Saint-Cyr after the priests got involved. I do not agree with the duc d'Orléans that priests should be taken out of education entirely, but I do agree with François that they should be there to teach religion and nothing else. The duke of Modena's daughter serves the purpose admirably. She takes the older girls - who wish to - to the orphanage of San Gerolamo to teach the little ones to count, read and write. When even the emperor thought it was too much for an archduchess, all François said was: who knows, Opapa, one of them might be the next pope or the next minister-prasident.
Bernhard: *snorts* only a Napoléon would say something as revolutionary as that.
Henri: so your Highness doesn't agree that as sovereign we are bound to look after the welfare of even the youngest of our subjects?
*train whistle is heard*
Henri: it seems we're almost at the Hague, sir[10], I'd best go change before we disembark. Can't let the Dutch king think he's receiving a coachman

*fade out*

[1] modern day Breclav in Moravia
[2] this would be Ignaz/Ignac Leitenberger, who expanded and developed the Leitenberger industrial empire spread throughout northern Bohemia (in 1802 they were the largest industrialists in Bohemia, in 1828 the factories were producing over 600km of printed fabric annually, an amount that increased tenfold by 1850). Ignaz received a prize at the Prague Industrial Exhibition in 1833. His son, Eduard, was a successful chemist (he was a published writer on the subject from 1845) and politician (he was an adviser to the Austrian Ministry of Agriculture, Industry and Trade as well as elected to the Frankfurt Diet of 1848), but a shoddy businessman. He got into a lot of debt due to a bad purchase of a factory at Mimon that failed. He had to sell some of his business in 1851 and by 1854 those that he'd sold were out of business. His nephew, Friedrich, took over the operation in 1858 and by 1860 they were producing 13 million meters of fabric (for which the biggest purchaser was the Austrian army, and which counted for 15% of the gross Austrian exports by 1892). All from only 2000 workers. Friedrich also took care of his workers with health insurance, pensions and supported a school for his workers' kids, set up a company canteen - which sold food made/grown in other Leitenberger holdings. - etc.
[3] Reichstadt was only connected to the "actual" road network of the empire in 1855 OTL (while it was under Sisi's management, although Sisi was about as absentee landlord as Marie Luise)
[4] Reichstadt only got a railway in the 1880s
[5]as in driven by pragmatism instead of idealism
[6] no idea if there was an organization like this -or it would even be allowed - in 1830s Rome OTL, but I know there was one in 1800s London
[7] again, something that Louise's daughter, Marguerite did in Spain during the Carlist Wars The Red Cross was seen by many Carlists as too full of socialists, Freemasons and liberals, so the Carlists established a parallel organization called the "Caridad". Spanish readers can tell me if the organization survived the war, I can't find much on Marguerite's work there outside of my copy of Aronson's A Royal Vendetta.
[8] while this sounds very sweet, knowing Frankie, it was intended with a sting in the tail: it's a hospital for prostitutes (and other poor people) with his mother's name squarely on the side.
[9] this was the education given to Frankie's mother/aunts and to Henri's great-grandmother/Madame Royale's mother, Maria Theresia's sisters. So its nothing "new" or that Frankie is pushing for women's lib. It's simply a case of him being a salesman: none of these girls are necessarily "Victoria's Secret Models" pretty, but even the plain ones have a "better shot" at attracting a decent husband than if they are educated by nuns. The late queen of Spain, Maria Josepha of Saxony, is a case in point, her marriage to Fernando VII was such a disaster that he declared, when they were on the lookout for a new wife for him "no more rosaries!" Which, given this was uberCatholic Spain and uber-de-uberCatholic Fernando, should tell you all you need to know.
[10] I know the Netherlands only started with its railways in 1839 OTL, but I figured with a POD in 1826, it's not impossible that they've got a bit of a jumpstart and there's at least a line from the Hague to Amsterdam or the Hague to Rotterdam. Particularly when one compares how dense Belgium's railways were from a standing start between 1830-1840

@The_Most_Happy @isabella @VVD0D95 @Jan Olbracht @Tarabas @Ramontxo @HortenseMancini @Anarch King of Dipsodes @Dragonboy @Fehérvári @kaiidth

Ah, polítics between Friends, it never gets old
will freely admit that I felt the need for someone in the know to explain that Frankie has not unlocked the "unlimited funds" cheat code, and that he is actually constrained like any mere mortal by things like "too many mouths to feed, not enough cash". Plus,him as economist - something no apologist can call his dad - likely makes a nice change to other royals (like his mom/Sisi) who just think "ooh, I've got land that gives me money, let me just keep taking the money and not putting any back"

@Fehérvári about Kossuth, do you think Frankie would/could take Ferenc Deak's place in getting Kossuth sprung from prison or avoiding prison (and just exiled instead, maybe to Venice)? Argument being (via Stephan): look at everybody my dad put in prison and the Revolution before that. Then look at the French court at Frohsdorf and tell me if it was a good idea?

It's not that Frankie approves of Kossuth, but AIUI, being in prison did precisely the opposite of what the government hoped: instead of being scared, Kossuth just went more hardline.

Also, Hungarian National Bank, yay or nay?