Fantasy and Alien Blank Basemaps Thread

Tol Erresea just a little off-center. It was visible from Numenor by naked eye, so Numenor should also be pretty close to the equator.

that was because the numeroneans had the gift of farsight and even then that was stretching it...they mostly used the stones for that...and doesnt prove that it was directly west...tolkein or christopher never mention that...

Some old maps I decided to convert into blank basemaps.

V8Tci.png

rbbNV.png

5hDyF.png

Can anyone design a blank basemaps of the Naruto anime series? I tried to find a good map for me to play around with but can't find some good ones.

Does anyone have any tips for making non-random-looking maps of alien planets, ones that follow the laws of geology and continental drift ? I'd like to hear some advice on this.

Thande

Donor
Does anyone have any tips for making non-random-looking maps of alien planets, ones that follow the laws of geology and continental drift ? I'd like to hear some advice on this.

Azardin is your man for that, not sure if he's been on here recently though.

Dorozhand

Banned
Here's a map of a world covered in oceans of liquid Ammonia. It's a moon of a gas giant which formed with a peculiar quantity of Ammonia which was inherited by the accreting world, which is about the mass of Mercury (but much less dense, giving it about the diameter of Mars). It happens to inhabit a region at which liquid Ammonia is stable.

It's atmosphere consists of 75% Nitrogen, 11% Oxygen, 9% Methane, 4% gaseous Ammonia, and 1% trace gasses.
The atmosphere has weather systems like that of earth, with Ammonia rain, snow, clouds, and even hurricane analogs.

The oceans consist mostly of liquid Ammonia, with dissolved Alkali metals and salts which are used as energy sources by some types of life. Ice caps at the poles consist of solid Ammonia mixed with water ice. The small amount of water on Tloxipeuhca does not exist in a liquid state and is perpetually locked at the poles and in mountain glaciers. To any denizens of the world, it would be seen more as a mineral.

The life of Tloxipeuhca consists of plant analogues which are predominantly a bright to dark blue colour (the planetary system orbits an orange dwarf about 2/3 the mass of the sun), and give the world its common nickname, "Land of Lapis Leaves". Animal and fungal analogues also exist, and an extensive kingdom of chemosynthetic organisms which operate with Alkali metal and Methane chemistry are a major section of ocean life, and form a niche among the land plants, recycling their waste.

The moon also has a small tertiary satellite of its own (it is far enough from its parent to have a large Hill Sphere), a captured asteroid about the size of Mars' Deimos called Nexoxcho.

In the map, the oceans and lakes are marked with deep red, rivers are bright red, deserts are tan, mountain ranges are grey, biomes ranging from scrubland/steppe analogues to dense rainforests are denoted by gradations of blue, fertile river valleys are depicted in light green, the northern and southern cold weather biome is depicted in magenta, polar tundra analogue is depicted in cyan, and the polar ice caps are white.

Ammonia9.png

Ammonia9.png