(Failure of the House of) Brandenburg: A Vastly Different Seven Years' War

How should the USA be structured?

• Normal states + autonomous Native states

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Normal states (including Native-majority) and reservations in normal states

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Normal states with MAXIMUM NATIVE STATES (autonomous)

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Normal states with no Native-based states

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Dutch were able to keep their grip on some of the East Indies, while most of it rebelled and formed the Union of Nusantara (it's on the most recent world map: I'd work on it in QBAM but the Worlda internals for West Borneo are pretty hard to find, though a friend did find a video that showed them, so I might work on that soon). The monarchy came about through rebellion: Belgians under Dutch control revolted, and liberals teamed up with them. They were sent away to New Holland. Either that or it's still princes and I just messed it up for that one thing (honestly, the fact that the Dutch Republic was ruled by princes slipped my mind). It's either one or the other and I'll decide when I cover Nusantara.
I think that the Dutch Republic was a confederation, not a monarchy. There was, however, a group called the Orangists that supported giving the House of Orange more power in politics so maybe during the Rebellion the Orangists seize more power and declare a Kingdom of the Netherlands. The former Dutch colonial empire sounds really interesting. Nusantra sounds cool, as does New Holland, which seems to be under strong liberal influence if I read your description correctly.

I think that the Dutch Republic was a confederation, not a monarchy. There was, however, a group called the Orangists that supported giving the House of Orange more power in politics so maybe during the Rebellion the Orangists seize more power and declare a Kingdom of the Netherlands. The former Dutch colonial empire sounds really interesting. Nusantra sounds cool, as does New Holland, which seems to be under strong liberal influence if I read your description correctly.
The Dutch Republic was technically a confederal republic, but in function it ran like a monarchy for most of its existence. New Holland will be a more liberal region, regardless of how I navigate the Netherlands, because it was also colonized by England and Spain, who aren't the most accepting countries for republican sentiment ITTL.
Brazil coming up shortly!

Kingdom of Brazil
bra brazil.png

---
THE KINGDOM OF BRAZIL:
Headed by the King of Brazil, who rules from his capital in Salvador, it is one of the larger countries on the planet, and as well as one of the major transcontinental countries too. The Kingdom of Brazil has acted as the place of exile of the Portuguese monarchy (with King José III being the current head of the House of Braganza, as well as King of Brazil). It is considered, as well, one of the most ethnically diverse regions of the world, with many nationalities housing themselves within the nation. An unofficial flag of Brazil is a tricolor of black-red-white, visualizing the three main ethnic groups of Brazil (Blacks, Natives, and Whites), which is often waved at multicultural celebrations and parades. The state is comprised of 19 Imperial Provinces, with two Royal Territories (this number increases to 24 Provinces, and four Territories when one counts Angola).
-
THE PRINCIPALITY OF ANGOLA:
Headed by the Prince of Angola, João II, the Principality of Angola is technically a colony of the Brazilian Kingdom, headed by a Prince of Brazil. It contains five Imperial Provinces, two Royal Territories, and the Congo State (a territory-reservation where a majority of Kongolese within Angola live). It is among the only two colonies of the Brazilian Colonial Empire (the other being the Three Isles, as mentioned later).
-
THE KINGDOM OF KONGO:
Not a colony of Brazil, but instead a nation protected by the Brazilian Crown. The two nations have been close before the Crown fled to South America, and the Kingdom of Kongo, although technically independent, is often considered a part of the Brazilian Crown: the Kongo speaks Portuguese as the basic lingua franca between the Bakongo peoples and different African tribes in the Kingdom, enough so that most people in the country can speak Portuguese more fluently than Kikongo. The two nations share open borders, and Kongo is a rather thriving nation due to her coastal position and close alliance with Brazil.
220px-Republic_of_Congo_Prime_Minister_Isidore_Mvouba_Cropped.png

King Afonso IV of the Kongo
-
SOVEREIGN STATE OF THE THREE ISLES
Comprised of the three islands of São Tomé, Príncipe, and Fernando Po. It is the only republic in the Brazilian Crown, and is only technically a colony of Brazil. In practice, the Three Isles are independent of Brazil and have been vying for independence since the 1980s. It is currently under President Henrique Martins. It is a mostly functional democracy, with some minor corruption and some socio-economic divisions, but is otherwise a perfectly stable nation on the coast of Africa.
-
BRAZILIAN MONARCHY:
The monarchy of Brazil, though originally founded by White-European Kings, has increasingly become more mixed over the generations. Here is a list of Brazilian Kings since the flight of the Crown of Portugal:
1. King José I (1763-1777)
2. Queen Maria I (1777-1816)
3. João I (1816-1826)
4. Pedro I (1826-1834)
5. Maria II (1834-1841)
6. Henrique I* (1841-1857)
7. Pedro II (1857-1898)
8. João II (1898-1934)
9. José II (1934-1991)
10. José III (1991-present)
*Became King through marriage. Henrique I was Henrique III of the Kingdom of Kongo.
The heirs of Brazil are permitted different peerages based off of birth order. For example, the first son or designated heir to Brazil is granted the title of Duke of São Paulo, while the second son is granted the title of Duke of Rio de Janeiro. The Prince of Angola is headed by the Count of Vimioso, a cadet branch of the House of Braganza.

THE KINGDOM OF BRAZIL:​

Awesome! I alway like brazils with colonies. The map is as always wonderful.

I have a question? Why hasn't this brazil reclaimed portugal yet? I don't know about its economic situation but it seems rather more stable than IRL, it would seem quite more powerful than a spain that has many separatist movements. You would think this brazil would keep trying to get portugal back and massively fund portuguese separatism - in the best case.

I could see it being historically more focused on portugal's colonies - actually what happened to mozambique, it's not coloured on the latest world map - than portugal, maybe because it would be more profitable than a large war with spain.

Awesome! I alway like brazils with colonies. The map is as always wonderful.

I have a question? Why hasn't this brazil reclaimed portugal yet? I don't know about its economic situation but it seems rather more stable than IRL, it would seem quite more powerful than a spain that has many separatist movements. You would think this brazil would keep trying to get portugal back and massively fund portuguese separatism - in the best case.

I could see it being historically more focused on portugal's colonies - actually what happened to mozambique, it's not coloured on the latest world map - than portugal, maybe because it would be more profitable than a large war with spain.
I guess the main reason is that the people aren't the most caring about reclaiming Portugal. They're content with being Brazil. It's unrealistic, but I didn't really think it through, I guess. Also, Brazil is a constitutional monarchy, so pair the public being uncaring with a government of representatives who decide whether or not the nation can go to war, and that's what happens.
The main idea was that Mozambique was lost during the War, with Angola being fled to because it was closer to Spain and therefore quicker for the Portuguese loyalists to flock to and defend. It's a lazy idea and I shouldn't've done it, but I might change it later on.

View attachment 412602
---
THE KINGDOM OF BRAZIL:
Headed by the King of Brazil, who rules from his capital in Salvador, it is one of the larger countries on the planet, and as well as one of the major transcontinental countries too. The Kingdom of Brazil has acted as the place of exile of the Portuguese monarchy (with King José III being the current head of the House of Braganza, as well as King of Brazil). It is considered, as well, one of the most ethnically diverse regions of the world, with many nationalities housing themselves within the nation. An unofficial flag of Brazil is a tricolor of black-red-white, visualizing the three main ethnic groups of Brazil (Blacks, Natives, and Whites), which is often waved at multicultural celebrations and parades. The state is comprised of 19 Imperial Provinces, with two Royal Territories (this number increases to 24 Provinces, and four Territories when one counts Angola).
-
THE PRINCIPALITY OF ANGOLA:
Headed by the Prince of Angola, João II, the Principality of Angola is technically a colony of the Brazilian Kingdom, headed by a Prince of Brazil. It contains five Imperial Provinces, two Royal Territories, and the Congo State (a territory-reservation where a majority of Kongolese within Angola live). It is among the only two colonies of the Brazilian Colonial Empire (the other being the Three Isles, as mentioned later).
-
THE KINGDOM OF KONGO:
Not a colony of Brazil, but instead a nation protected by the Brazilian Crown. The two nations have been close before the Crown fled to South America, and the Kingdom of Kongo, although technically independent, is often considered a part of the Brazilian Crown: the Kongo speaks Portuguese as the basic lingua franca between the Bakongo peoples and different African tribes in the Kingdom, enough so that most people in the country can speak Portuguese more fluently than Kikongo. The two nations share open borders, and Kongo is a rather thriving nation due to her coastal position and close alliance with Brazil.
220px-Republic_of_Congo_Prime_Minister_Isidore_Mvouba_Cropped.png

King Afonso IV of the Kongo
-
SOVEREIGN STATE OF THE THREE ISLES
Comprised of the three islands of São Tomé, Príncipe, and Fernando Po. It is the only republic in the Brazilian Crown, and is only technically a colony of Brazil. In practice, the Three Isles are independent of Brazil and have been vying for independence since the 1980s. It is currently under President Henrique Martins. It is a mostly functional democracy, with some minor corruption and some socio-economic divisions, but is otherwise a perfectly stable nation on the coast of Africa.
-
BRAZILIAN MONARCHY:
The monarchy of Brazil, though originally founded by White-European Kings, has increasingly become more mixed over the generations. Here is a list of Brazilian Kings since the flight of the Crown of Portugal:
1. King José I (1763-1777)
2. Queen Maria I (1777-1816)
3. João I (1816-1826)
4. Pedro I (1826-1834)
5. Maria II (1834-1841)
6. Henrique I* (1841-1857)
7. Pedro II (1857-1898)
8. João II (1898-1934)
9. José II (1934-1991)
10. José III (1991-present)
*Became King through marriage. Henrique I was Henrique III of the Kingdom of Kongo.
The heirs of Brazil are permitted different peerages based off of birth order. For example, the first son or designated heir to Brazil is granted the title of Duke of São Paulo, while the second son is granted the title of Duke of Rio de Janeiro. The Prince of Angola is headed by the Count of Vimioso, a cadet branch of the House of Braganza.
Is Brazil more stable than IOTL?

@Bennett, in an earlier post you mentioned something called the Great Bloodless War between the USA and Russia. Is this an alternate Cold War? If so, what were the major proxy wars and what other nations participated in the Great Bloodless War?

@Bennett, in an earlier post you mentioned something called the Great Bloodless War between the USA and Russia. Is this an alternate Cold War? If so, what were the major proxy wars and what other nations participated in the Great Bloodless War?
I haven't thought through the Great Bloodless War too much, but it pretty much was the Cold War. The USA herself was a participant, as the major bearer of the grudge was between France and Russia, with the much more liberal France having a cold war against the authoritarian Russia. America and Canada were major participants, and it wasn't so much a conflict as it was a cultural movement, I guess. At least, that's how I'm going to describe it for now.

I haven't thought through the Great Bloodless War too much, but it pretty much was the Cold War. The USA herself was a participant, as the major bearer of the grudge was between France and Russia, with the much more liberal France having a cold war against the authoritarian Russia. America and Canada were major participants, and it wasn't so much a conflict as it was a cultural movement, I guess. At least, that's how I'm going to describe it for now.
So French liberalism versus Russian authoritarianism? That sounds really interesting.

So French liberalism versus Russian authoritarianism? That sounds really interesting.
Yep! France is pretty much heralded as the "Protector of Democracy" and the Mother-Nation of Liberal Thought, with the next-most powerful nation in that list probably being California.

Yep! France is pretty much heralded as the "Protector of Democracy" and the Mother-Nation of Liberal Thought, with the next-most powerful nation in that list probably being California.

It's a bit scary to think that France is the most powerful pro-democracy and liberal country...

How powerful is this France exactly? It has to be quite wealthy and developped to stand up against Russia...

It's a bit scary to think that France is the most powerful pro-democracy and liberal country...

How powerful is this France exactly? It has to be quite wealthy and developped to stand up against Russia...
Hm,, probably shouldn't have said "most powerful", in all honesty. California's probably the most powerful, but France is seen as pretty important regardless.

The End?
I think that @Bennett has been hinting at a new timeline recently in some of the threads in "Maps and Graphics," so it looks like Brandenburg is over, although the new project also looks great! With that being said, however, this timeline was fantastic and it is a shame that appears to have ended.
Yeah, ET is right here.
Regardless of the quality you guys have seen in this timeline, it was pretty touch-and-go and on-the-fly on my end, and thus wasn't the most pleasing. I am working on a new timeline (E Uni Plures - or EUP). The map has taken a lot longer than I expected (nearing two and a half months on it), but it hopefully should be out by next week or so (I have a break from now to next Sunday so here's hoping?)
I may one day make a BRA2.0, but I would probably create a new thread for it. But, when EUP is released, I will certainly link it here.
Thank you for reading Failure of the House of Brandenburg, everybody.