Chapter I: Trafalgar and its aftermath - PT. 1: Trafalgar and England's Invasion

"Damn you, Nelson! Damn you!!!" - King George III of Great Britain upon receiving the news of the home fleet's destruction at Trafalgar.

In 1805, Europe in conflict for a year. Napoleon I of France had by this time forced Russia and Austria into peace as well as convince Prussia into neutrality with his impressive Victory at Austerlitz [1].

However, there was one nation Napoleon couldn't truly defeat no matter how hard he tried. That nation was France's ancient enemy, Great Britain. The island had destroyed France's old Empire and Napoleon was hell-bent on forcing the British to submit to French Authority. He had for sometime planned on invading the British isles however he debated on scrapping the plan to defeat Naples and Sicily. In the end, however, he decided against scrapping the invasion when he heard of an army being trained in Italy. [2] Napoleon just didn't know how to invade.

Enter the Battle of Trafalgar on the 21st of October in 1805. The British home fleet, under the command of one Horatio Nelson, traveled to cape of Trafalgar in Spain to attempt the end the threat of invasion once and for all. After a somewhat lengthy chase, The Franco-Spanish Fleet had turned to face the British fleet. Nelson had at first thought of an unorthodox strategy for naval combat but he decided against it. He believed the strength and experience of the Royal Navy would carry the day [3]. This in turn would lead to disaster as the Franco-Spanish Fleet under the command of Pierre Charles Villeneuve, openly challenged the British fleet and successfully crushed them, making Trafalgar one of the most decisive battles in history. [4]

His victory established, Villeneuve moved to Brest and with the aid of two other French fleets destroyed the blockade and ended British supremacy of the channel, for the time being [5].

The_Battle_of_Trafalgar_by_William_Clarkson_Stanfield.jpg

The battle of Trafalgar

Napoleon had an army ready for the invasion of Britain, the Armée d'Angleterre (Army of England) also known as the Armée de la Manche (Army of the Channel) trained at Brest, but he also decided to create a new Army of 200,000. On November 17, the Armée de réserve d'Angleterre (Reserve Army of England) was trained and ready for action. [6] just before the invasion began on March 7, 1806 [7], Napoleon gave a speech "My fellow Frenchmen, for centuries we have had to fight the damned British but Never once could we take their Capital, the city of London. Now, however, We can! Soldiers, soon you will be the first French soldiers on English Soil in their current history. Our Moment of Victory is at Hand! Dieu vous accorde un passage sûr et une victoire. Longue vie à la France!" This was followed by the army shouting Vie a la France [8]. By April 3, 1806, the Armée d'Angleterre arrived and captured the port town of Plymouth and captured it, establishing a HQ to continue the invasion of England from [9]. Unknown to the British and the French, on the other side of the world, another nation was planning to take advantage of the current weakness of the British. [10]

[1] - Minor POD. Austerlitz is much more ruinous for Austria and Russia, causing the latter to stay out of the war of the third coalition

[2] - IDK if Napoleonic Italy did this IOTL but they did it ITTL so Napoleon isn't distracted from invading England like he constantly was IOTL and at the same time, Napoleon doesn't cancel the plans like in OTL, cancelling them before Trafalgar, he instead keeps it and plans to do it soon.

[3] - Unlike IOTL, where Nelson had the two ship column strategy, he does this. On the Alternate History discussion boards of ITTL, this will be a big WI question.

[4] - this battle would allow the British isles, for the first time in quite a while to invade and actually have a foreign force occupy England for sometime, so I would say it's a decisive battle.

[5] - Remember, The British Home Fleet was destroyed, not their entire fleet, it'll take a while but the British will eventually re-establish Naval Supremacy of the Channel in XXXX.

[6] - This is to be the force Napoleon plans to help replenish losses and allow for a lengthy control of England.

[7] - Cause winter and making sure the plan is perfect. No one wants to cross the channel AND invade England in the dead of winter. It's suicide.

[8] - "God grant you a safe passage and victory. Long Live France!" Or at least I hope it says that. I used Google Translate so don't quote me on it. If I have a Reader whom speaks or knows France, can you please give me the correct translations?

[9] - they're under the command of Andre Massena, though I'm starting to think it would make more sense for Napoleon crossing the channel rather than another French general. They also have supplies to last them 3-4 years. After that, they have to forage for supplies.

[10] - I think you know what country this is. It'll be covered next update.

First update done. What do you all think? I hope to update this every week or every other week depending on hI feel. I wrote this on my phone so if it's a little short, I do apologize. This timeline will be worked on with @totalbukharin on Twitter. IDK his username here, however, me and him will be writing this timeline. I hope this doesn't seem to ASB or Wankish since I do have a radically different concert of Europe ITTL after ITTL's Napoleonic Wars. And all I will say is that no, Napoleon won't win. Just stay tuned for more updates on Europe. ;). Ttyl!

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum! Good to see a new Napoleonic TL. Too bad Napoleon won't actually win, I always root for him :p

Yes, well, for a good Napoleon wins scenario, there are a plenty here on these forums, I believe. Just WAS what I have planned for his son.

burns.png

Also thx. I've been a lurker here for years and me total Bukharin agreed to do this, to show that even if it seems apparent, Napoleon won't be able to win. The problem I had with those TLs is that they always believe that even after Napoleon dies, Europe won't challenge French Authority until the 20th century when in reality, they would. But I digress. This Timeline will be to show the effect of a Napoleonic invasion of England but he still loses. Again, thx for the welcome and I hope that you can keep enjoying this timeline as it grows.

Last edited:
Chapter I: Trafalgar and its aftermath - PT. 2: America and the war of 1808

"...I hereby request Congress for a declaration of war on Great War." - President James Madison requesting Congress, controlled by anti-british war Hawks, for a declaration of war on Great Britain.

In 1806, the united states of America was twice the size it once was from the purchase of the Louisiana territory in 1803 [1], though that was soon due to change [2]. President Thomas Jefferson, in his second term, was tired and announced that he wasn't going to run for a third term. This saw an explosion of a group of people known as the war hawks.

The war hawks were a group of congressmen who wanted war with Britain however, they were ignored due to the US' inherent weakness compared to the British Empire. In 1806, however, news of the British defeat at Trafalgar and, more importantly, news of Napoleon's invasion of Britain convinced many in America that now was the time to strike as the British would be more focused on defending their home island than defending Canada.

The president however didn't want to have his successor deal with a war he started. And so it was decided to put the issue on hold for the next President. The election of 1808 was a sound Victory for James Madison, whom became America's 4th president.

In 1808, the war hawks were even louder than in 1806 as in the year previous, 1807, French forces successfully captured London [3][4] which, in turn, forced the British to take troops away from Canada [5], leaving it practically open to American attack.

With War hawks demanding him to go to war in Congress and even within his own cabinet and the impressment of American sailors being a just casus belli, Madison asked Congress for a declaration of war. Not even a day later, Congress was in agreement. The war of 1808 had officially begun. In Order to get the upper hand and end the war quickly, Madison decided to order Winfield Scott, William Henry Harrison, and Andrew Jackson, a general from Tennessee, [6] to invade Canada [7]. Madison hoped for a short war. The war would be short, but the results would be long lasting, for both Britain and The US. [8]

James_Madison.jpg

James Madison, 4th US president from 1808-1816.

[1] - was it in 1803 or 1804? Can someone tell me?

[2] - WAS for what this means. ;)

[3] - it had actually fallen in 1806 but news travels slowly across the pond.

[4] - concerned in next update.

[5] - why have valuable troops freezing their asses off in Canada when they could fight to liberate the capital from the French?

[6] - I put him in here cause: 1. I like him. :p and 2. The British can't afford to pay natives to revolt like OTL due to the war being worse for them. the natives do revolt like in IOTL, just not as big as OTL revolts.

[7] - Scott from the west, Harrison from the east. Jackson invades New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.

[8] - WAS for this.;)

How did you like the 2nd update of this timeline on the same day as it was created? Surprised you? IDK if doing on the boards is illegal or just uncommon. Lol. This is probably shorter than the Last update cause it's really cut and dry as well as me being lazy. :p next update will come soon. I swear. just not for a week or two. I might come back and lengthen this later on. IDK. ttyl.

Last edited:
No one is interested? Yes, I expected not many would read this in the beginning but no comments? ... I'm impatient. Lol

Yes, well, for a good Napoleon wins scenario, there are a plenty here on these forums, I believe.

The only one I know is What Madness is this and well, it's a dystopia and the victory of Nappy is a consequence of the POD :p

Otherwise, i hope the Perfide Albion will lost some of her power by the end of the war :p

The only one I know is What Madness is this and well, it's a dystopia and the victory of Nappy is a consequence of the POD :p

Otherwise, i hope the Perfide Albion will lost some of her power by the end of the war :p

I could've sworn there were more than that.

Looks like this is set up to be a US wank, if this does go well for them wonder how they handle Quebec and it's Catholic population.

Looks like this is set up to be a US wank, if this does go well for them wonder how they handle Quebec and it's Catholic population.

Hint: imagine Boer wars but in Canada. Also this won't be a US want. It may seem like it now, but come the 1840s America will be crippled, I just won't tell you how. WAS for that. ;)

Chapter II: London, Birmingham, and Eastern Canada Has Fallen

"So that is the Westminster Palace the English speak about...fascinating. This City will be a prime location for our Base of operations." - French General Andre Massena upon entering the City of London on August 12, 1806.

"I don't give a damn if the Americans are invading! The French have London and I will use all available soldiers to liberate from those Frogs. even at the cost of our empire!" - British General William Beresford upon being told of the US Invasion of Canada on December 17, 1808.

"Give a message to the President: Montreal is American." - American General Winfield Scott after the battle of Montreal on Feburary 7th, 1809.

"We're going to Manchester! Damn it, why didn't the forces we had hold?!" - King George III of Great Britain upon his evacuation from Birmingham Palace to Escape Massena on October 12, 1807.

in 1806, England was arwy with Panic. France's Invasion of the Island had caused this and Andre Massena had one goal, one order, given to him by His emperor: Capture London and get England out of the war as soon as possible. As he was Marching, his 200,000 reserve force in tow, he encountered his first Challenge. At the town of Taunton, 50,000 British Soldiers had Gathered under the command of Sir Charles August Alten of Hanover in a desperate attempt to halt Massena's march to London, a goal many british feared he could successfully do. Massena, who had proved his worth at the battle of Caldiero the year before, knew he couldn't make it to London as Taunton was the only major city in the swamp of eastern Cornwall [1] so he went in and attacked Alten's force. on May 7th 1806, the battle of Taunton was decisive as Massena Cavlary successfully routed Alten's own cavlary and his hardened ifantry destroyed alten's force. the total casulities came up to 1,500 dead, 12,500 wounded, and 1,000 missing for the french while the british suffered 26,000 dead, 8,000 captured, 10,000 wounded, and 3,000 missing. it was an impressive victory if it wasn't against, as Massena said, "Worthless Militia...". However Massena, had caputred the city and thus had successfully secured Cornwall, useless Swamp though it might have been.

2 weeks later, Massena restarted his march, This time with an extra 50,000 troops, not from Spain or France, but from the locals, surpsingly enough. [2] with this unexpected Reinforcements at hand, Massena Marched further east, reaching the crucial city of Basingstroke on june 17, 1806. There, Alten had rallied another army of 120,000 to stop Massena and force a retreat off the british main Island. this force had 40,000 Militia but Plenty Regulars to help support the militia. Massena Himself had, by this time, aqquired an extra 250,000 soldiers from dissatisfied englishmen, walesmen, and others as well as those seeking glory and fame [3]. By the middle of the Day, it was another clear victory, though not as crushing as Taunton was due to the french suffering 25,000 dead, 50,000 wounded, and 12,000 missing, however the british had been crucially defeated with the death of Alten by a stray Musket shot. With the british having 50,000 dead, 20,000 wounded, 30,000 captured, and 10,000 Missing, they made a Hasty retreat. Meanwhile, Massena halted his advance. His army was Tired from the March and Massena himslef had plans. [4] from june 18 to July 19, he rested his troops, meanwhile the british Prepared. the royal Family was evacuated out of London and into Birmingham, in the hopes that Massena could never reach that far.

They had also Given command to an officer who proved himself in the american revolution, the French Revolutionary Wars, and the battles of Taunton and Basingstroke, William Beresford was a general the British Needed in this time. William had stated that in order to drive the french out, the british needed to turn to Fabian Tatics. Named after the Roman Dictator Quintus Fabius Maximus Verrucosus who utilized the same strategy against Hannibal Barca. the tatics called for a schorched earth policy to make sure that Massena can't forage for food, meanwhile raiding parties would be sent to harrass the foraging parties of Massena to make sure little to no food got to his forces while at the same time every town, villiage, or city that was captured by Massena would be retakenw when he was far enough away from it. Former Vice Admiral Hortatio Nelson, who had been disgraced after Trafalgar and resigned his position after the Humilition, and Sir Arthur wellsy, duke of Wellington, supported and Promoted the idea, stating it was the only way. However, Parliament refused to Listen and ordered Beresford out into the field with an army of 250,000 regulars outside London, as they hoped that even if it was a victory, Massena's forces would be to weak to hold London for long. Beresford knew that wasn't the case and he knew that the battle would go badly for him, but he gave it a try to defend his Empire's Capitol and stop the French Menace.

Massena would restart his march on July 19 and by August 9th, his forces had arrived at London. the battle was fierce and the casulties were many for both sides, but after 3 days, the battle ended in a victory for Massena [5][6]. the casuality list was 70,000 dead, 50,000 wounded, and 30,000 missing for the French, while the british had suffered 90,000 dead, 70,000 wounded, 50,000 captured, and 30,000 missing made the battle a clear and decisive French Victory. for the next 2 months, Andre Massena's forces would indeed rest in London's barracks and Cafes while he made his official command center be the Parlimentary building. He drew up the next phase of the Invasion, Mainly the Capture of Birimingham Palace and wrote a letter to Napoleon in the Meantime.

Battle_of_Waterloo_1815.PNG

Battle of London from August 9-12, 1806. (OTL: Battle of Waterloo)

Napoleon was impressed by Massena's success in the invasion and wrote him a letter stating that he would give him a final supply of 150,000 troops and was now appointing him as Military Governor of England till the war ended. Napoleon couldn't spare more forces as he was planning his invasion of Spain [7]. With his appointment of Military Governor of Englan, however, Massena now had complete authority over england until the war was over. Indeed, in the France, massena was seen as a national Hero. The man who had dared to invade England, and captured their capital city. Almost too popular for Napoleon, but he figured that could be dealt with soon. [8] Massena started his march to Birmingham and at oxford, a battle ensued as the duke of wellington attempted to stop him in the battle of Oxford, however the battle was a disaster for the british and wellington retreated back to Manchester, which was the Base of Operations for William Beresford, whom was given surpreme command of all British Forces to defend the Homeland. the last tghing the king and parliament wanted to do was admit defeat. if they requested peace with Napoleon now, it would be seen as them accepting they lost the war. However, Beresford's request to switch to Fabian tatics was rejected by Parliament, leading him to famously state: "You expect me to win, howeverall you give me is forces to send to the slaughter!!! Fabian strategy will be the only way we can win but we have to do it now!!! I hope you relize that before it's too late!" He then left a stunned Parliament [9].

For a few days, Parliament debated whether to remove Beresford and replace with thge more soft spoken yet equally brilliant arhtur wellsy, however, Massena's Victory at Coventry convinced them to not do it. Coventry was when William, in an attempt to convince Parliament that what they were doing was pointless, brought 150,000 regulars to fight Massena and as expected, it was a french victory [10]. only a week later, the royal family was once again removed to Manchester to escape Massena's force. On October 15, 1807, 3 days after the royal family was evacuated for the second time, Massena's forces arrived at Birimingham Palace and for 3 hours, the Palace was looted, but Massena demanded the looting stop and the palaced not be ransacked, forcing the soldiers to stop due to their respect for the man. They would rest for the rest of the year in Birmingham before a final push happened. by August 17, 1808 Manchester, Liverpool, and Sheffield had fallen, the royasl family and parliament being evacuated the last time to Glasgow [11] while William Bereford made his new Base of Operations the city of Newport. when Parliament agreed to give his fabian strategy a try, he simply said: "it's far too late for that now. Now it'll be a battle of attrition."

indeed, Massena had not planned to march any further. By now the british had retaken control of the Channel and so communication with France was minimum, however, Andre recieved news of Napoleon's Invasions of Spain and Prussia, to which he openly exclaimed his shock and requested to know why. the letter explaining why would never come and for the next 9 years, Andre Massena would be on his own [12]. Meanwhile, Beresford, in an effort to defeat Massena, brought every single soldier was whom was well trained and well-armed to aid in the defence of the Home Island. However, this left Canada Vulnerable to the USa, which struck upon the british's moment of weakness.

img596.22905035_std.jpg

Birmingham Palace, in where Andrew Massena ould have as a residence until 1817 (OTL: Birmingham Palace)

In the Americas, the USA started it's invasion of Canada. Canada had been a goal of American Expansion since the Revolution but they had never had a chance like this to capture it. Facing token resistance due to the lack of British Regulars in Canada to fight Andre Massena back home, Winfield Scott, who invaded from the east and William Henry Harrison, whom invaded from the west marched into Canada. by January of 1809, Harrison had captured Hamilton, Missauga, Toronto and well as on his way to take Ottawa, the last major city in canada that was on his warplan. He had faced token resistance throughout the march and on Feburary 7, 1809, after a short siege, Ottawa fell to Harrison, meanwhile Scott had aleady arrived at his objective, the city of Montreal, and was Besieging it. for a week, a battle ensued and the canadian defense force of 10,000 surrendered, allowing Scott to famously declare that Montreal was American. In face, the only position that offered any resistance to the Americans was New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, where Andrew Jackson was campaigining.

He fought many battles and by August 12, he had arrived at the last non-frozen canadian city, Sydney. after a short battle, he besieged the city and on August 17, 1810, when it became clear no help was arriving, The City Surrendered. for the Next 2 months, James Madison would pursue for peace and eventually the British agreed and both sides agreed to meet in the city of Moscow to discuss terms. the war almost restarted several times due to British anger but eventually, the Treaty of Moscow was signed on December 15, 1810, 2 years to the day the war started on, it ended.

The terms were simple: the provinces of Quebec, Ontario, New Foundlandland and Labrador, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Nova Scotia was to be ceeded to the united States. The impressment of Sailors of the united states was to be stopped. Finally, the british had to pay a reparations of 10,000 pounds. Meanwhile, the US would stop supporting Napoleon and would re-open trade with Britain.

The treaty signed, both sides left. The United States had now taken their goals and congress was happy. meanwhile Massena himself started to realize the trouble he was in and Williams Beresford got a new Promotion. Only time would tell who would in the war of England. [13]

siege-of-quebec.jpg

American Capture of Montreal. (OTL: Battle of Montreal 1775)

[1] - looked it up on Google maps and only place with a clear road to London AFAIK. any Englanders want to correct me?

[2] - They join because they have glory in their imagination or they are disastified with Parliament and the Hanovers.

[3] - basically 2

[4] - Massena hopes to becom king of England just like Ney did with Sweden

[5] - After a speech from both generals, but I'm too lazy to write them rn. :p maybe in a rewite

[6] - Parliament left just a week before the battle hapened.

[7] - I'll explain why he still invades Spain in the Next Update.

[8] - *cough cough* purge *cough cough* kill him *cough cough*

[9] - Imagine doing that to Parliament, shoved it right into their face

[10] - Beresford did this to just show Parliament that it's useless to fight Massena in open combat, but they listen too late.

[11] - with George III exclaiming "you've got to be f**king me in the A**hole!" in an 1800s term.

[12] - I think that this would be doable. after all, massena has support of much of the population. but if you think it's too ASB-y, tell me and I'll shorten it to however long. I'm trying to have this be realistic as possible and Massena holding England for a while is a good way to enrage the british yet also weaken them.

[13] - Cliffy.

How did you guys like the long update? I got a computer for a few minutes so I decided to write the next update right now. I hope you enjoy it. :)

Last edited:

dcharles

Banned
:)Chapter II: London, BirmingHam, and Eastern Canada Has Fallen

By the middle of the Day, it was another clear victory, though not as crushing as Taunton was due to the french suffering 25,000 dead, 50,000 wounded, and 12,000 missing, however the british had been crucially defeated with the death of Alten by a stray Musket shot. With the british having 50,000 dead, 20,000 wounded, 30,000 captured, and 10,000 Missing, they made a Hasty retreat. Meanwhile, Massena halted his advance. His army was Tired from the March and Massena himslef had plans. [4] from june 18 to July 19, he rested his troops, meanwhile the british Prepared. the royal Family was evacuated out of London and into Birmingham, in the hopes that Massena could never reach that far.

Massena would restart his march on July 19 and by August 9th, his forces had arrived at London. the battle was fierce and the casulties were many for both sides, but after 3 days, the battle ended in a victory for Massena [5][6]. the casuality list was 70,000 dead, 50,000 wounded, and 30,000 missing for the French, while the british had suffered 90,000 dead, 70,000 wounded, 50,000 captured, and 30,000 missing made the battle a clear and decisive French Victory.

As a whole, the update is good. But these casualties are on the wild side. I'm not an expert on the Napoleonic wars, but is there any precedent for 80,000, 110,000, 150,000, 220,000 casualties in a single battle? These seem to be bloodbaths without precedent in all of human history. (excluding the battle of Stalingrad, which is not really a single battle at all.) And deaths are usually vastly outnumbered by wounded.

As a whole, the update is good. But these casualties are on the wild side. I'm not an expert on the Napoleonic wars, but is there any precedent for 80,000, 110,000, 150,000, 220,000 casualties in a single battle? These seem to be bloodbaths without precedent in all of human history. (excluding the battle of Stalingrad, which is not really a single battle at all.) And deaths are usually vastly outnumbered by wounded.

Well the first 2 battles are understable cause militia is weak but I might go in and edit the other battles here in a rewrite