Eisenhower in the Pacific: Part 1 The Shoestring Warriors of Luzon

Driftless

Donor
A partisan army of 350,000....sounds like there will be islands that never come under Japanese control

Roughly 2,000 of the 7,000 plus islands in the archipelago are inhabited. Most are pretty rugged, I believe. While the Japanese control the air and sea, that's still a vast area to control and in GB's universe, the Filipinos are reasonably well armed, some are well trained, and have a cadre of leaders at several levels. Plus, the Japanese military is stretched thinner everwhere than in our history.

A partisan army of 350,000....sounds like there will be islands that never come under Japanese control

historically the number is around 250,000 and the Japanese had only full control of 12 of 48 provinces in the islands. However, 15,000 of those were Huks, which were to be a serious problem post war

4th Marines as Cadre? As well as more forces/arms landing by submarines, 350K forces well trained by USMC veterans in the upcoming battles.
The Japanese will have a real nightmare.

4th Marines as Cadre? As well as more forces/arms landing by submarines, 350K forces well trained by USMC veterans in the upcoming battles.
The Japanese will have a real nightmare.

The 4th Marines got pulled out in the first days of the war... it is currently in Hawaii training replacements as many of the veteran prewar NCOs and officers were sent to other Marine units. But some of the 1st Separate Battalion did escape. A lot more China Marines available for cadre overall

One question I always wondered about was "what if MacArthur didn't get his air force caught on the ground?" Having both fighters and heavy bombers would have helped the defenders tremendously but in the end the result would have been the same as here, holding out longer but still losing in the end...

This was a great thread, thank you!

A total of 15,000 Japanese troops were killed in combat, and another 20,000 were lost to disease and accident during the campaign.

That seems like a very high number of non-combat deaths. After the first stage of the campaign, the Japanese have control of the whole country except Bataan, with complete freedom to move supplies, rotate troops, etc., and to establish proper barracks for their troops (except for those on the battle lien, they sleep clean and dry). Even allowing for Japanese indifference to their men's conditions, it's high.

That seems like a very high number of non-combat deaths. After the first stage of the campaign, the Japanese have control of the whole country except Bataan, with complete freedom to move supplies, rotate troops, etc., and to establish proper barracks for their troops (except for those on the battle lien, they sleep clean and dry). Even allowing for Japanese indifference to their men's conditions, it's high.

Mainly disease.

Thank for you the nomination for early 20th Century timeline, all the votes and all the kind words

I am somewhat embarrassed that I haven't posted anything in a while but real life has been busy