Sorry for the long wait

I just wanted to let everyone know that I've totally been too busy to even take a look at this for a month or so due to my wedding that happened a week and a half ago. I'll be off on my honeymoon shortly, so I probably won't be back to the regular pace of updates by September, but I will try to at least post everything that's sitting around on my hard drive collecting dust before the end of August.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I've totally been too busy to even take a look at this for a month or so due to my wedding that happened a week and a half ago. I'll be off on my honeymoon shortly, so I probably won't be back to the regular pace of updates by September, but I will try to at least post everything that's sitting around on my hard drive collecting dust before the end of August.

We were all wondering about you and your sudden departure but it makes sense given that you're married now! Congratulations and wish you and your partner well! Take your time with that. It's no rush! :)

:DCongrats on your marriage (mine's coming up soon too). And also very happy to hear this will continue.:cool:

I second Othersyde's wishes, and wish her the same.

Marriage, to the right person, is amazing, I can tell you from personal experience. Sure, theres patches of rough sailing, but what a trip!

Interesting as how the Jesuit missionaries are distributing Exodus and presumably other material written by Hélene Grignon. They probably see it as a means to be more efficient and thorough in converting the native Kanatians and the locals themselves wouldn't be as hostile to the Jesuits if they were giving them books written by one of them. At the same, it's alienating men like DuFort who see these books as inciting rebellion against his authority and he might eventually in due time take steps to stop it, by force if necessary. In the missions in Paraguay, the Jesuits made enemies of the Spanish and Portuguese who saw their arming of the natives and educating them as a serious threat to their presence in the colonies. In Europe, they had a reputation for meddling in government affairs due to their close ties with the court and the Papacy.

DuFort might not take steps to suppress the Jesuits himself but there's the chance that one of his successors might give it a shot. No guarantee that it would succeed.

Interesting as how the Jesuit missionaries are distributing Exodus and presumably other material written by Hélene Grignon. They probably see it as a means to be more efficient and thorough in converting the native Kanatians and the locals themselves wouldn't be as hostile to the Jesuits if they were giving them books written by one of them. At the same, it's alienating men like DuFort who see these books as inciting rebellion against his authority and he might eventually in due time take steps to stop it, by force if necessary. In the missions in Paraguay, the Jesuits made enemies of the Spanish and Portuguese who saw their arming of the natives and educating them as a serious threat to their presence in the colonies. In Europe, they had a reputation for meddling in government affairs due to their close ties with the court and the Papacy.

DuFort might not take steps to suppress the Jesuits himself but there's the chance that one of his successors might give it a shot. No guarantee that it would succeed.

Just to be clear the "other material written by Helene grignon" does no include the books summarized in the previous update. Those have not been written yet and, when they are, they will be repressed as heretical. But yes they have been publishing exodus because the attribution of recent events to the work of the Christian God does help win converts.

Dufort as of yet thinks the problem is with andre touillard in particular and not the Jesuits as a whole. He also can't expel ALL the Jesuits because doing so would leave the people of stadacona without a priest. But he will be petitioning the Church to create a diocese and appoint a bishop to help counterbalance the Jesuits.

Update 12 - Scotland to 1600
Update 12 - Scotland 1550-1600

The following is an excerpt from the book European Monarchs Vol. VII: 1550-1600

Scotland:
Mary I (b. 1542, m. 1553 Edward VI of England, r. 1542 – 1611)

Mary was crowned Queen of Scotland upon the death of her father while still an infant. James Hamilton, Earl of Arran, who was also the next in line to the Scottish throne, was appointed as her regent. Her early years were marked by the “War of the Queen's Marriage” - a dispute over whether Mary should be betrothed to (then Prince of Wales) Edward VI of England.[1] Scotland itself was divided into pro-English and pro-French factions, and both England and France fielded armies in Scotland in support of their allied faction. While, initially, it seemed that Mary would be wed to Edward according to the 1543 Treaty of Greenwich, the pro-French faction soon won out in the Scottish parliament, inciting the English invasion later that year. The pro-French faction enjoyed the support of the Scottish people for much of the early years of the war, while only a few Protestants supported the pro-English faction.

However, things changed in 1547 when English forces began to overrun Scotland. Until then, France, had been supporting the Scottish war effort without sending an army of their own to fight in France. However, with the English occupying much of Scotland, it became clear that sending a French army to Scotland would be necessary to win the war. However, the French needed something in return. Initially, a proposal was made to marry the young Queen Mary to the young Dauphin Francis, thus potentially bringing Scotland under the French crown. However, when the Dauphin died in October of 1547 [2], France began to make further demands of the Scots that, in the words of Regent Arran, would “turn Scotland into nothing more than a French vassal.” While the Queen's Mother Mary of Guise was busy working out an agreement with France, Regent Arran signed a treaty with England, which turned Mary over to the English occupying forces. In exchange for turning over the Queen, the English guaranteed that Mary would never be taken to England proper (she would remain in the occupied territories of Scotland, where Arran would continue to serve as her Regent) until she reached the age of majority. Additionally, the treaty stipulated that if Edward and Mary were to wed, Edward would be King Consort of Scotland but would never have right to hold power as King jure uxoris. [3]

Regent Arran's decision to switch sides and make peace with the English was supported by only a (mostly Protestant) minority of the Scottish Parliament. Parliament quickly voted to remove Arran as regent and replace him with Mary of Guise. Mary of Guise signed agreed to make the concessions to France that Regent Arran had found so distasteful, and soon a French army arrived in Scotland to fight against the English. However, much of the damage had already been done. Most of the Protestant population of Scotland supported Arran's decision, and the fact that the Queen was now in English hands turned the tide of the war. By the time of Edward's coronation in 1548, the English and allied (mostly Protestant Scots serving under Regent Arran) forces were in control of more than half of the country.

The marriage of Mary to Edward in 1553 brought the war to finally to an end. With no chance that Mary could be betrothed to the new Dauphin (born in 1548) Henry II of France withdrew his troops and made peace with the Edward VI of England and Mary I of Scotland. With the war over, Regent Arran turned his attention to restoring order in Scotland. While there were no French troops present in Scotland after the official end of the war in 1553, many of the pro-French Catholic forces continued to fight in a series of armed uprisings. The largest uprising was the “war of 1557” where a number of Catholic nobles briefly occupied Edinburgh. Arran was able to defeat the Catholic forces and put the down the rebellion, but was only able to do so with the support of an English army. The fact that many Catholic Bishops had been involved in the uprising led to the 1558 decision by Mary (as the Arran regency had ended in 1557) to confiscate Catholic Church property all over Scotland. Until this time, various forms of Protestant worship had coexisted with Catholicism in Scotland. 1558 marks a turning point after which Catholic worship was driven more and more underground.

Between the time when she starting ruling in her own right in 1557 and the birth of her son Henry in 1561, the Queen spent time in both London and Edinburgh. Usually, Mary would spent the summers ruling in Scotland and the winters with her husband in England. Her first child, a daughter Anne, was born in London in December of 1559. For the first few years of Anne's life, Mary and Anne would travel together, spending time in both Scotland and England. However, this changed when Mary discovered she was pregnant again in the spring of 1561. This time she was due to give birth in the fall, and she knew she couldn't survive the voyage back to London either just before or just after she was to give birth, so her son Henry was born in Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh.

King Edward's first peacetime visit to Scotland was made in 1561 to visit his newborn son. Mary had had a hard pregnancy and birth, so she was unable to return to England when Edward departed in the Spring. However, while Mary stayed in Edinburgh, the infant Henry and his older sister Anne was brought to London along with Edward. Mary had been sick in bed when the decision was made to take Henry to England, and she very much resented the loss of her baby. Mary would not see her son again for many years, and she would never forgive her husband for taking him away from her.

This distrust between Mary and her husband led to tension between England and Scotland throughout the 1560s. While Edward was already approaching Louis XIII of France for an alliance against Spain, Mary herself made a point of making a separate alliance between Scotland and France. She also approached other leaders such as King Frederick of Denmark in the hopes of having other allies in case of war between England and Scotland.

Tensions between England and Scotland also affected the development of the Church of Scotland. “The Kirk” as it is called in Scotland, was originally founded in 1558 to organize Protestant worship in Scotland and to take control of confiscated Catholic Church possessions. Doctrinally, the Church of Scotland followed closely the Calvinist ideals of the Church of England [4]. However, in the 1560s, during the time of tension between Mary and Edward, Mary took measures to prevent the Kirk from being subsumed by the Church of England. She forbid the use of English for liturgical use, permitting only the use of Scots or Gaelic[5]. She also differentiated the Church of Scotland from that of England by removing herself from the position of head of the Church and creating a council of Bishops to govern the Church independently of the monarch. [6]

In the 1570s, the tension between Mary and Edward began to die down. Mary began to travel to London again in the winter, to visit Edward and her children, and she even brought Henry and Anne up to visit Scotland a few times. However, Mary and Edward saw little of each other during these visits, and the two of them had no more children. The warming of relations meant that Mary was able to increase trade with England, which was experiencing its Late Edwardian economic boom at the time. [7]

While the English colonial presence in the New World eventually grew to dwarf that of Scotland, Scotland's colonies actually predate those of England. It was during the 1570s that Scotland established its first trading post in the land of Labrador that would eventually grow into the town we now know of as New Aberdeen [8]. It was Queen Mary's commitment to expanding Scotland's maritime capabilities that we have to thank for Frobisher's expedition [9] and the New Aberdeen colony.

It seems that Mary's interest in expanding Scotland's maritime trade network was originally inspired by conversations she had with sailors during her semiannual voyages between Edinburgh and London. She had heard stories of the wealth that the Spanish had found in the New World and the valuable trade the Portugese had established with India. Mary felt that Scotland was ideally placed to serve as a base for Northern routes to the Orient and she sponsored many expeditions searching for the fabled Northeast and Northwest passages.

Mary sponsored Andrew Keith's 1563 expedition in search of the Northeast Passage, which resulted in the discovery of the Northern sea route to Musocvy, and the establishment of the Scottish Northeastern Trade Company [10]. In 1569, after years of trying in vain to get his expedition in search of a Northwest Passages sponsored by King Edward, the English navigator Martin Frobisher came to Queen Mary asking for her support. Frobisher launched three expeditions on behalf of Scotland, the first two in search of a Northwest passage, and the third in 1574 to establish a colony on the coast of Labrador. [11] While the Labrador winters were too cold for the colony to survive year-round, New Aberdeen quickly became profitable as a summer trading post where Scottish merchants would trade with the natives for furs (which could be bought much more cheaply in Labrador than they could in Muscovy).

During Mary's reign, the port of Glasgow, in addition to being a centre for trade with Labrador, quickly grew into a base for pirates preying on the Spanish gold fleets. While these pirates were mostly English, King Edward, in an attempt to maintain peace with Spain, had decreed that anyone accused by the Spanish of piracy could not sell cargo in an English port. This drove many of these pirates, including the infamous Francis Drake [12], to Glasgow where they could operate with impunity.

Things changed significantly for Mary when her husband Edward was succeeded as King of England by her son Henry in 1581. While Mary got along better with Henry than she had with Edward, Henry was much more of a warmonger. When Henry asked his mother to support his war efforts with Scottish troops, Mary felt that she could not refuse. By 1586, Scottish troops were fighting alongside the English in the Netherlands, France and Ireland. [13] This proved to be quite a drain on Mary's treasury, and war with Spain meant that Scottish ships could no longer freely cross the Atlantic to trade in Labrador. The war years of the 1580s were not good for Scotland.

However, the other consequence of the death of Edward was that Mary was free to remarry in 1583. Her second husband was James Hepburn, the Earl of Bothwell [14], who had long been a close advisor of the Queen. While Mary was over 40 and Bothwell was almost 50, the union proved to be fertile, and Mary gave birth to a daughter Jane in 1584 and a second son James in 1586. While Mary survived both pregnancies, Bothwell died in 1589.

While she had always been distant from her eldest son Henry, and less than close with Anne, Mary tried to make up for it by caring for Jane and James all the more. She kept both of them close, and saw to a good part of their education herself. While she spent time with her children, Scotland was largely governed by her councillors. Even Henry I of England, as heir apparent to the throne of Scotland, paid more attention to Scottish affairs than Mary did during this time. [15]

As Mary got older, the question of succession began to be raised. The existence of James (now Earl of Bothwell) meant that it was possible for Scotland to avoid personal union with England if James, rather than Henry, could be named as Mary's successor. Henry asked the Scottish Parliament to pass a bill confirming himself as heir to the throne, but they refused on the grounds that the question of succession could only be determined by Mary's will. [16] In the end, in 1597, Mary agreed on a compromise solution whereby Henry would be first in line for the throne, with James next in the line of succession followed by Henry's children. This solution would work for the time being, but would prove to cause problems two decades later.

Footnotes to Scotland:
[1] This is the same war known OTL as “the Rough Wooing”.
[2] Everything up to the death of the Dauphin in 1547 is OTL. The death of the Dauphin is supposed to be the first major butterfly. It made sense to me to have this first major butterfly happen in France since the POD was in France, but as you can see from the rest of this post, this butterfly had very important implications for Scotland.
[3] While in England in OTL, it was necessary for Elizabeth not to marry to prevent her husband from claiming jure uxoris rights, it seems that in OTL Scotland it was more acceptable for a King to simply be a King Consort with no power. For example Queen Mary's second OTL husband Lord Darnley, was only ever allowed to be a King Consort, even though he aspired to claim more power.
[4] Read the upcoming “England” update for details on the Church of England.
[5] I haven't planned far enough ahead to know if this will result in a surviving Scots language.
[6] Really, Mary is mainly interested in preventing any future King of England from exercising power over the Scottish Church even if that King of England is also King of Scotland.
[7] See the “England” update for more on this boom.
[8] New Aberdeen is located near the site of OTL Cartwright, Labrador
[9] Yes, this is the same Frobisher, he was born before the POD and his interested in finding a Northwest Passage dates back before significant butterfly occur in England.
[10] Similar events occurred OTL except for the fact that in OTL it was an English expedition which resulted in the founding of the English Muscovy Company. There is no English Muscovy Company in TTL.
[11] As in OTL, Frobisher fails to discover Hudson's Bay, but in TTL, he discovers Lake Melville leading to the Labrador interior, and recognizes the potential of the area for further trade and exploration.
[12] He will be a lot less important TTL than he was OTL. I just wanted to show where he ended up.
[13] You will discover the nature of these three conflicts that England and Scotland are involved in in future updates.
[14] He was Mary's 3rd husband OTL, and they had been friends for a long time at that point OTL, so I figured they'd get together TTL as well.
[15] Having her children taken away from her by her husband has taken its toll on Mary's mental health. She's not mad by any means, just a little obsessive.
[16] The Scottish Parliament is still anti-English, even in the 1590s.

I've finally gotten up the confidence to post about what's going on in Europe! I don't have energy to do research on European history to the same extent that I'm doing research on early contact-era Northeastern North America. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, if you know more about European history than I do (that's probably half of the people on this board), give me feedback. If something I'm writing is implausible, I want to change it NOW rather than once I've written more updates.

I've posted Scotland first because it was the country I felt happiest with. France should be next, then England. And then I'll get back to what's going on in Turtle Island.

PS: Thank you to all those who gave me good wedding wishes! I'm really happy to be married to the wonderful person I'm now married to, although, to be honest, it's not any different than it was before we were married as we've been living together for almost 3 years already. But it was great to be able to celebrate with friends and family :)

So that's France! I feel like I've been a little more adventurous with this one than I was with Scotland, but again, please let me know if you think anything is implausible. At this point, everything is revisable...

I have one more post that's sitting on my hard drive, and that is England. I hope to get England edited and posted before I leave on my honeymoon on Sunday.

telynk, if you need any help on Europe during this time, PM Space Oddity (he's doing the Now Blooms the Tudor Rose TL). He seems to know a lot about that period (and, maybe, the 1600s, too).

Good updates, and congrats!!!

Went back and reread some updates, and I'm glad I did because I missed the exodus updates:eek:. Those are pure awesome sauce! They fit in too with the women circles in Iroquois culture. It's like a massive expansion of the institution. I was worried the French would use this as an excuse for more conflict, bit given the tiny hold they have on the region and all the wars back in Europe it makes sense DuFont would want a compromise. Speaking of Europe, those initial butterflies are really growing with it looking like Scotland might retain its independence (or set up for a dynastic conflict), and Naviere getting independence. Also France seizing control over the church and making a more lasting accord with the Protestants is really going to create the political and religious space needed for the Kanatian Catholicism to grow before further action is taken against them.:D

As for how Iroquoian governance is done, speaking for the Haudenosaunee, it was really built into how the 6 tribes came together. To put it simply it has to do with levels of consensus building. I'll have to ask for specifics, I don't think it's something taboo to discuss with outsiders.

Last edited:
Went back and reread some updates, and I'm glad I did because I missed the exodus updates:eek:. Those are pure awesome sauce! They fit in too with the women circles in Iroquois culture. It's like a massive expansion of the institution.

Yeah! To be honest, when I was writing Hélène's theological perspective, I was totally paraphrasing a lot from my favourite source that I've been using for me research (Iroquoian Women by an author who's name escapes me right now - I'm writing this from my honeymoon - but I think her first name was Barbara).

I was worried the French would use this as an excuse for more conflict, bit given the tiny hold they have on the region and all the wars back in Europe it makes sense DuFont would want a compromise.

I was actually originally planning a brief French/Confederacy war that would result in an outcome the Hochelagans would see as a victory and the French would see as a stalemate, but when Dathi Thorfinson mentioned the logistical nightmare the French would be faced with, I reconsidered.

Speaking of Europe, those initial butterflies are really growing with it looking like Scotland might retain its independence (or set up for a dynastic conflict), and Naviere getting independence. Also France seizing control over the church and making a more lasting accord with the Protestants is really going to create the political and religious space needed for the Kanatian Catholicism to grow before further action is taken against them.:D

Yay! You've kinda hit the nail on the head as to where this is going... Sadly, I have gotten some feedback on the French Wars of Religion part that is going to lead to some changes, but I will do my best to changing the individual events without changing the outcome..

As for how Iroquoian governance is done, speaking for the Haudenosaunee, it was really built into how the 6 tribes came together. To put it simply it has to do with levels of consensus building. I'll have to ask for specifics, I don't think it's something taboo to discuss with outsiders.

The levels of consensus building part I got from multiple sources. What I didn't get was much information on what process was used to arrive at consensus, specifically how a council meeting would play out. Would each person speak in turn? How much control would the host (in the Six Nations I understand that would be the Onondagans in the Kanatian Confederacy it would be the Hochelagans) have over how council meetings played out? How many hours/days would an annual council meeting last? (I say "annual council meeting" because from what I understand there was a time of year (late summer) which was dedicated to holding council meetings, but ad hoc meetings were also called in times of crisis and/or war) Those sorts of things.

Update 14 - England to 1600
Update 14 - England

The following is an excerpt from the book European Monarchs Vol. VII: 1550-1600

England

Edward VI (King of England 1548-1581, Prince Consort of Scotland 1553-1581)
(b. 1537, m. 1553 Mary of Scotland, d. 1581)

Edward VI was the only surviving son of Henry VIII. He was betrothed to Mary, the infant Queen of Scotland in the 1543 Treaty of Greenwich, which led war with Scotland in what's known as the “War of the Queen's Marriage”. [1] While much of the War of the Queen's Marriage was prosecuted by Henry VIII in his later years, Henry died in 1548, leaving Edward's Regent to take charge of the war effort. Upon his marriage in 1553, Edward took credit for winning the war in Scotland even though the war efforts had been almost exclusively directed by his generals and his Regent.

Upon reaching his age of majority, Edward set his sights on religious matters. He had been raised a Protestant, and was greatly influenced by Calvinism. Under Henry VIII, the Church of England had been separated from Rome, but had remained largely Catholic in doctrine and liturgy. Under King Edward, however, the Church of England was reorganized according to Calvinist principles. While Edward did much to incorporate Calvinist theology and worship into the Church of England, he refrained from enacting Calvinist principles of Church government, maintaining his own position of head of the Church of England.

Edward's commitment to Protestantism upset many Catholics in England, including his half-sister Mary, who was the heir to the throne as Edward did not have a son until 1561. It was in 1550, while England was still at war with France, that Mary Tudor snuck out of England and married Francis, son of Duke Claude of Guise. [2] Francis of Guise spent much of the next decade trying to convince Henry II of France to give him an army to press Mary's claim to the English throne. Mary herself died in childbirth in 1553, but Francis continued to campaign on behalf of her daughter Catherine, who had inherited her claim. However, with succession of Henry II by his son Louis XIII in 1563, the House of Guise fell out of favour in France, and Francis traveled to Spain to recruit the support of King Philip II.

Spain had long been upset with England over Henry VIII's break with the pope [3], but pragmatic alliances between Spain and England against France had continued during the “Italian Wars” of the 1550s. It was in the 1560s that this began to change. Philip II, the new King of Spain, made it clear that he wouldn't tolerate Protestant monarchs of any sort, and openly supported Catholic dissidents in England. Thus, when King Philip arranged a betrothal between his son Charles and the eleven-year-old Catherine, it was clear that he intended to eventually use Catherine's claim to put his son on the English throne. This led to a change in England's diplomatic position. Rather than pursuing an alliance with Spain against France, Edward approached Louis XIII for an alliance against Spain.

Tensions between England and Spain grew through the 1560s, but Edward was able to use his diplomatic skill and his alliance with France to maintain the peace. Edward was rightly afraid that France would be reluctant to come to his aid in the case of a Spanish invasion, and knew that, even England and Scotland together could not hold back the might of the Hapsburgs. Even so, Edward did turn a blind eye towards English pirates who chose to attack Spanish treasure fleets. In 1569, an ultimatum from Spain meant that Edward had to crack down on piracy operating out of English ports, but many of these pirates just chose to operate out of Glasgow instead.

In the 1570s, the fear of a Spanish invasion subsided as Spain became involved in wars in France and the Netherlands. Edward did covertly support the ongoing Dutch Revolt [4] by sheltering rebels, but was careful not to give any support which could be interpreted by the Spanish as an act of war. Even so, after the 1574 intervention of the Spanish in France, Edward knew that he could count on French support in any war with Spain, and thus was more brazen with his policy toward Spain than he had been in the 1560s.

The 1570s were a time of much prosperity in England, as much trade that had previously been routed through the Netherlands came instead to English ports, including Calais [5]. Arts and culture flourished during the Late Edwardian period, and elaborate architecture was developed to showcase the new wealth. Many of the great Anglican cathedrals were built in the 1570s as Edward tore down the old churches which “reeked of Papism”. However, this era was soon brought to an end with Edward's untimely death in 1581.

Henry IX (King of England 1581 – 1612, King of Scotland 1611-1612) [6] (b. 1561, m. 1584 Sophie of Brandenburg, r. 1581 – 1612)

Henry came to power in 1581 at the young age of 20. He was the only son of Edward VI, and had inherited his father's vehement Calvinism. However, while Edward had chosen to promote Calvinism in England while staying out of the affairs of other Kingdoms, Henry was an interventionist who believed in sending English (and Scottish) troops to protect Protestants everywhere. While Edward's fear of Spanish wrath had prevented him from intervening in the Wars of Religion in France or the Dutch Revolt in the Netherlands, English troops were fighting on the mainland within a year of Henry's succession to the throne.

Henry's first continental commitment was in France, where he decided to support King Henry III of Navarre and the Protestant faction in the Great Huguenot War against King Charles IX of France. The “Alliance of the Henrys” was formed between himself and Henry of Navarre, and soon an English army had entered Northern France from their base at Calais. Many Protestants in Picardy and Normandy were soon recruited to fight under the English banner. The position of Henry of Navarre as heir apparent to the French throne, and extra support the Protestants received from the English troops meant that the Catholic French armies were soon on the retreat. A decisive victory by Henry over the French army trapped a large French force inside the city of Reims. Rather than attempting to take the city by force, Henry decided to starve them out over the 1584-85 winter.

Then, in 1585, Henry's attention began to turn eastward. With ongoing disputes between the Northern and Southern States in the Netherlands, the tide of the Dutch Revolt began to turn in favour of the Spanish. [7] Thinking the war in France was all but won, Henry left a small detachment led by the French Protestants to take and hold Reims, and marched his main army Northward to link up with the Dutch army. While the Spanish forces were soon pushed back, the diversion of troops from France meant that the Protestant advance towards Paris stalled. Henry's army spent most of the next few years fighting the Spanish in the Netherlands, but was forced return to Reims twice each time to relieve a seige attempt by King Charles IX of France.

Henry's intervention in the Netherlands meant that Spain was now at war with England. King Charles II of Spain was married to Catherine of Guise, who had a claim to the English throne through her mother Mary Tudor. While the available Spanish troops were mostly already tied up in wars in the Netherlands and elsewhere [8], Spain had the largest and best equipped navy in Europe. In early 1587, King Charles launched an attack against England, using his fleet to harass English shipping and blockade key ports, while ferrying a number of Catholic English exiles to Ireland to attempt to use Catherine's claim on the English throne to raise a Catholic army to oppose King Henry.

The Spanish fleet succeeded at their mission to ferry the rabble-rousers to Ireland, but later were intercepted off the coast of Cornwall by the combined English, Scottish, and Dutch fleets. While the Spaniards had the advantage of firepower, the combined Protestant fleets outnumbered the Spanish, and the Protestant fleets ultimately won what turned out to be one of the most decisive naval battles of the 16th century. [9]

Having dealt with the Spanish fleet, Henry still had to deal with the Catholic army that had overwhelmed a number of his garrisons in Ireland, and which was calling for his abdication in favour of his cousin Catherine. Henry knew that he couldn't fight France, Spain, and the Irish uprising at the same time, so he quickly worked to make peace with France. In 1587, King Charles IX agreed to abandon the persecution of Protestants in exchange for peace [10], which was good enough for Henry, allowing him to focus more of his efforts in the Netherlands against Spain.

Part of the reason King Charles IX had been so eager to make peace with England was that it was in France's interest for England to be fighting Spain instead. The French Protestant forces who had attached themselves to the English army were encouraged to continue fighting alongside the English in the Netherlands. While the years between 1585 and 1587 had seen a continual retreat by the English and Dutch forces, in 1588, a victory was finally achieved against the Spanish. In the same year, an Anglo-Scottish army was able to put down the Irish revolt. This meant that by 1589 Henry was able to reinforce his army fighting in the Netherlands with the troops that had been in Ireland. A number of quick victories meant that the Protestant army was able to retake Antwerp in 1591. [11]

By this point, it was becoming clear in England that a decade of war had taken its toll. The costs of war had buried Henry in debt, and the English people were becoming less and less willing to fight an ongoing war on the continent. While the initial revolt in Ireland had been unsuccessful, the knowledge of Catherine's claim to the throne had spread throughout the Catholic populace, and every year there was more and more opposition to English rule. Thus, in 1593, Henry withdrew most of the English troops from the Netherlands, leaving the Dutch to fend for themselves.

During the early years of the war in France, Henry had married Sophie of Brandenburg, daughter of the Elector Johann Georg [12]. While he had taken a break from his campaigning for the marriage itself, he had seldom see her during his many years at war. Despite this, Sophie had given Henry a son Edward in 1587 while her second child, a daughter, had died in infancy. With the end of his wars, Henry dedicated much more time to family matters, and he soon had two more sons William (named after the Prince of Orange who Henry had fought alongside in the Netherlands) and John (named at Sophie's request after her own father) and a daughter Charlotte.

With the destruction of much of the Spanish war fleet in 1585, it became feasible for England to attempt to establish colonies overseas. King Henry knew of the gold that had been discovered in New France, and the fur trade that had been become profitable for the Scots in New Aberdeen. Thus he was anxious to establish an English colony Northeastern North America. The logical first spot for a colony was the Island of New Found Land, which had already been claimed for England by John Cabot, and which stood astride of the French sea routes to and from the Comté du Canada. Thus, in 1595, Henry commissioned an expedition to travel to New Found Land to attempt to found a colony.....

Footnotes to England:
[1] Again, it OTL this war was known as the “Rough Wooing”
[2] This is a second important butterfly of the POD. Mary's claim to the English throne will play a much larger role later on in the story. Note that, in OTL, there were many attempts made for Mary to escape to France. In TTL, she succeeds.
[3] The pope during this time was controlled by the Hapsburgs more often than not, and thus the Hapsburgs were the monarchs who had the greatest interest in opposing Protestantism.
[4] Most of the causes of the Dutch Revolt were not changed from OTL, thus the revolt itself is mostly following its OTL course.
[5] Note that OTL, Calais fell to the French in 1558. In TTL this was avoided, and the Franco-English alliance which is now forming will keep Calais English until at least 1600.
[6] Note that there will be a personal union between Scotland and England during Henry's reign for just over a year. However, I have not yet decided if this personal union will survive Henry's death.
[7] Again, up until this point, the Dutch Revolt has been going more or less at is did OTL. There wil be some butterflies though later which I will cover in a future “Netherlands” update.
[8] Where “elsewhere” is will be revealed in the “Spain” update.
[9] This is TTL's version of the “Spanish Armada”.
[10] The Peace of Tours was more complicated than this, as described in the “France” update.
[11] In OTL, Antwerp was never recovered by the Protestants and remained part of the Spanish Netherlands, although the Dutch were able to cut off its access to the sea.
[12] This elector did have a daughter Sophie in OTL as well, but TTL's Sophie is a few years older.

Ok, so there's England for you. You'll notice it's shorter than the last two updates, partially because a lot of what's going on in England was already described elsewhere, and partly because there's no war being fought on English soil right now.

I've had word from a source via PM that I'm going to have to make some changes to the France update to increase its plausibility. I'll do my best to make as few changes as possible, but I'm telling you now that it definitely will change.

So we'll have the Tudors and Guises fighting it out over the English throne, plus a surviving Scottish royal family that also could have a good claim to both thrones. Things in England could get really nasty.

As for the Iroquoian governance, from what I remember, each tribe goes off to discuss the merits and the flaws with another based off when and how they joined and their role and position within the political "longhouse". Like the Mohawk and Oneida will sit off to the side to discuss it, while the Cayuga and the Seneca will go to their corner to talk to themselves. Then they present their conclusion to the Onondaga rep, the Tadadaho, and see if he agrees. If a consensus hasn't been reached, it all starts over. I can't remember how the Tuscarora play into this, since they had a lesser role in joining later.

So we'll have the Tudors and Guises fighting it out over the English throne, plus a surviving Scottish royal family that also could have a good claim to both thrones. Things in England could get really nasty.

As for the Iroquoian governance, from what I remember, each tribe goes off to discuss the merits and the flaws with another based off when and how they joined and their role and position within the political "longhouse". Like the Mohawk and Oneida will sit off to the side to discuss it, while the Cayuga and the Seneca will go to their corner to talk to themselves. Then they present their conclusion to the Onondaga rep, the Tadadaho, and see if he agrees. If a consensus hasn't been reached, it all starts over. I can't remember how the Tuscarora play into this, since they had a lesser role in joining later.
My recollection was there were 3 senior (elder brother?) nations (Onondaga, Mohawk, and ?Seneca?) and two (later three) junior nations, and the senior nations were the decision makers. The Tuscarora were the junior of the juniors, as it were, being the Johny-come-latelies.

But it's been a handful of years since I looked at the question closely.

My recollection was there were 3 senior (elder brother?) nations (Onondaga, Mohawk, and ?Seneca?) and two (later three) junior nations, and the senior nations were the decision makers. The Tuscarora were the junior of the juniors, as it were, being the Johny-come-latelies.

But it's been a handful of years since I looked at the question closely.

Thank you Dathi and othyrsyde for mentioning the position of the various nations within the confederacy. Again, its something that came up in my research that I've overlooked since I read about it....

The structure of the Kantian Confederacy is going to be interesting TTL. My thoughts right now are that you will have:

Hochelagans - keepers of the council fire - they're at the centre of the Confederacy so they sort of take on the role of the Onondagas

Maisounans/Tannesagans - keepers of the Lower Door/Upper Door respectively (I think for a culture based around as large a river as the St. Lawrene the directions of Downstream and Upstream will be more important than those of East and West. They're basically taking on the roles of the Mohawks and Senecas

exile Stadaconans/Sheep Clan - junior nation; last nation (so far) to join the Confederacy, so they're kinda taking on the role of the OTL Tuscaroras. However, as exiles who have a bit of a technological edge over the other nations due to the presence of large numbers of Métis, they're not going to have their own National territory but will have compounds adjoining the villages of each of the other nations, and trade between these compounds will become the backbone of Confederacy trade

But this is all going to change because where I really want this to go is for the Confederacy to (1) expand and (2) develop into something that Europeans will eventually recognize as a Republic

Just to give folks an update on where I'm at, I've just been hired to a new job starting a couple days ago. This is good news, but means I will have little to no time for AH for at least a month. I do still plan on updating this (and I have so many ideas in my head that just need to get written down!) but not quite yet...