Death of a Republic (A monarchical USA timeline)

How is the timeline so far?

• It's good

Votes: 198 64.5%
  • It's ok

Votes: 62 20.2%
  • It's bad

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • It's really bad

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • It's gone to the Alien Space Bats

Votes: 42 13.7%

• Total voters

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
I also hope that this timeline isn't dead.

It isn't dead, although I nearly did renege on my promise to finish.

Out of context snippits of Death of a Republic were used to accuse me of racism to my university. I was told to take it down or else face judicial review, I refused, and then things went downhill because in real life I have a bad temper.

I'm not done writing this though, but I lost all motivation for a while. Sorry for keeping silent for so long, that wasn't fair.

Now that life has settled down, I've been working on getting back into writing, but I have to reread a lot of my notes; I've forgotten a lot. I hope to update in a day or two.

It isn't dead, although I nearly did renege on my promise to finish.

Out of context snippits of Death of a Republic were used to accuse me of racism to my university. I was told to take it down or else face judicial review, I refused, and then things went downhill because in real life I have a bad temper.

I'm not done writing this though, but I lost all motivation for a while. Sorry for keeping silent for so long, that wasn't fair.

Now that life has settled down, I've been working on getting back into writing, but I have to reread a lot of my notes; I've forgotten a lot. I hope to update in a day or two.

Was it because of New Africa? I'd never thought I'd see the day when people outside this forum would care enough about it to try to use what you write on it against you.

I'll be looking forward to that.

And I was serious about the Capital question. No other democracy does to their capital what America does with DC.

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Was it bec
ause of New Africa? I'd never thought I'd see the day when people outside this forum would care enough about it to try to use what you write on it against you.

It probably was something to do with New Africa stuff because what was primarily quoted was from New Africa sections. (On a side note, I thoroughly regret having Hopswood call his black character "Free Nigger Bob." It was done to try and imply Hopswood might not be an actual advocate for black people, but it caused serious contention.)

I'm not 100% certain of why exactly this was done, but I've got a suspicion that my portraying of New Africa as "the bad guys" coupled with the personal politics of the person who reported me is what caused the situation. It's hard to say too much more without going into more detailed info which could cause more problems.

I also regret that the 500th post on this timeline has to be a post about IRL problems and not an actual update. It's absolutely amazing though that it's gone this far, and I'm glad to have people reading, it's gone beyond my wildest dreams. I hope that the next 500 posts go as good as posts 1-499, thank you all for the support so far; it was a big part of the reason I dug in and refused to quit.

As for the Washington situation, well, I will say the Capital should be a bit more important. It will be a port city this time around. Also, IOTL there was the L'Enfant Plan, and a slightly different version is going to happen ITTL.

It probably was something to do with New Africa stuff because what was primarily quoted was from New Africa sections. (On a side note, I thoroughly regret having Hopswood call his black character "Free Nigger Bob." It was done to try and imply Hopswood might not be an actual advocate for black people, but it caused serious contention.)

I'm not 100% certain of why exactly this was done, but I've got a suspicion that my portraying of New Africa as "the bad guys" coupled with the personal politics of the person who reported me is what caused the situation. It's hard to say too much more without going into more detailed info which could cause more problems.

I also regret that the 500th post on this timeline has to be a post about IRL problems and not an actual update. It's absolutely amazing though that it's gone this far, and I'm glad to have people reading, it's gone beyond my wildest dreams. I hope that the next 500 posts go as good as posts 1-499, thank you all for the support so far; it was a big part of the reason I dug in and refused to quit.

As for the Washington situation, well, I will say the Capital should be a bit more important. It will be a port city this time around. Also, IOTL there was the L'Enfant Plan, and a slightly different version is going to happen ITTL.

Having a black faction being depicted as rampaging savages wouldn't look good to an outsider to the timeline.

Because people refuse to understand that the N-word hasn't always been seen as the horrifying slur it is today. It's the same reason why people ban Huckleberry Finn for having it despite a large chunk of it being about Huck realizing that Jim was just as human as he was.

The OTL situation regarding DC is bullshit. The irony of the home of congress not having actual representation in Congress is absurd. Plus the fact that it's Congress'a fiefdom means that a progressive city is frequently at the mercy of a Republican-controlled Congress.

It took until '61 to get them the right to vote for President and it took until '73 to get them the right to a local government. Which is still at the mercy of Congress.

Was it because of New Africa? I'd never thought I'd see the day when people outside this forum would care enough about it to try to use what you write on it against you.

I'll be looking forward to that.

And I was serious about the Capital question. No other democracy does to their capital what America does with DC.

I never thought I'd see the day that TL's would have to be mindful of being too politically incorrect. Personally, I thought you were just having inspiration issues and needed to have some space to think it all out. As for Hopswood, people in real history had much worse names for those that sympathized with abolitionist movements, rather you, not shying away from using words that bring a ting of realism is why I thoroughly enjoy this TL. Might I ask how this person found out enough about your TL and where you attend school at? Did you recommend this to people in your class?

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Sorry for just disappearing again. I've been unable to write for a bit because my situation isn't quite sorted out yet. But, before the update I (finally) got done, I figured I should explain what happened a bit better. I used to write Death of a Republic on a university computer as they were permitted for personal use and had large screens that allowed me to keep research and my writing on screen at the same time. At some point, I did the dumbest thing you can do: forget to log off.

Under normal circumstances, the next person just logs you off and is done with it. That did not happen and I know that this is how Death of a Republic was found out because sections that were most definitely from my rough draft were used. Everything I've written "in character" is probably just a tenth or so of "in character" segments I've written. I just don't feel like most are good enough to make the cut, but I keep them in a "scraps" section and several those were part of the initial problem as well.

Well, when I was called up by the university and asked to explain, I did find out who reported me. It was someone I couldn't easily avoid, and I lost my temper at them. I did not get physical at all, I did say things I should not have and that eventually led to me being booted out of university. Sadly enough, had I been able to keep a level head I probably could have made it through OK but it is what it is.

I hope that you all can forgive a bit of additional slowness and that my writing might be a bit off for a bit. I haven't written a thing since the previous update, so I'm kinda rusty.

Thank you all for your kind words and support, it might seem like nothing but it really means a lot. Anywho, enough chitchat, on to the next update... in a new post.

Kartoffelkrieg

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
"Wherever my story takes me, however dark and difficult the theme, there is always some hope...."
--Michael Morpurgo

By February 1st, 1788, the Dutch Patriots had their backs to the wall. With no money, no allies and control rapidly dissolving outside of Holland, the Patriot government of Robert Jasper van der Capellen was seeming nearing its end.

Unfortunately for the Patriots, François Adriaan van der Kemp had different plans. In contrast to Van der Capellen who defied his aristocratic roots to serve as a reformer, van der Kemp was more of a revolutionary. Driven on by radicals, Van der Kemp and fifty-four of his supporters staged a coup against the provincial government in Friesland on February 14th in an attempt to inspire the faltering Patriots. The Friesland coup backfired spectacularly; popular opinion in Friesland rapidly turned against the Patriot government leading to two anti-coup governments forming in Friesland. While the Patriot government managed to hold sway in the capital of Friedland: Ljouwert for a few days, a pro-Statholderate Orangist government eventually ousted the Patriots. During the chaos in the province, a pro-independence government would coalesce in the border city of Boerum with the assistance of Drenthe rebels and Prussia.

In Amsterdam, Van der Kemp’s coup was poorly received as well. With popular opinion already against the Patriot government, the failure of the coup pushed the Orangist forces to rise up. By February 23rd, the Patriot government lost control of Amsterdam. Three days later, Van der Capellen and 23 other leaders of the Patriot government fled the Netherlands entirely.

Despite the defeat of the Patriots, Statholder William V was still in hot water. Friesland, Ommelanden, Drenthe and Brabant were generally rebel held, Prussia was knocking down the gates in the east and Britain was growing increasingly bold as Portugal considered entering the war, distracting the Statholder’s Spanish allies. For a few months, hope wasn’t lost for William; Austria and her multitude of allies in the Holy Roman Empire were rapidly gathering strength and France seemed as if they might still enter the war on William V’s side.

But, in April the winds of fate seemed to be turning on William. With Bavaria joining with Austria in the war in early March, the (practically defunct) Fürstenbund which was a Prussian-Saxon-Hanover led alliance that had been formed to keep Bavaria from falling under Habsburg influence, was revived and entered the war against Austria. A number of major of important Holy Roman domains including Electorate of Baden, the Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin and the Principality of Brunswick-Wolfenbütte were now moving against Austria. Furthermore, both the Austrian army and Spanish army saw defeat in a series of border skirmishes and the port city of Gijón in Asturias was occupied by Britain.

More troubling than the defeats however was a change in the war’s conduct. Initially, the war had been yet another example of Kabinettskrieg; diplomats had continued to flow between the belligerents,the fighting was primarily limited skirmishes and the populace were relatively left alone. However, as the war continued into the summer, a new type of war began to emerge: the Kartoffelkrieg. As the armies of the various belligerents swelled to a size previously unseen in Europe (by June both Austria and Prussia had armies nearly twice the size of those in the Seven Years War), food shortages and disease began to flair up in both the military and the civilian populations. Without a possible quick out in a similar manner to the War of Bavarian Succession, this forced aggression.

That new aggression first came to a head on September 3rd when a Habsburg army of nearly 84,000 under the command of Franz Moritz von Lacy and a 66,000 strong Saxon-Meckelberger-Prussian army under Prince Henry of Prussia collided at Görlitz, savagely falling upon each other. Within hours, both the Habsburg and Prussian armies ran out of gunpowder and the fighting devolved into hand-to-hand combat with both Habsburg and Prussian troops falling in piles that in some instances were so high that soldiers had to climb on and over their dead comrades to continue fighting but no thought of retreat was given. Finally, after over 40,000 Prussians deaths and 36,000 Habsburg troops joined them, Prince Henry fell and the Prussian army collapsed. The Battle of Görlitz was the largest battle fought in the 18th century so far, and would be the bloodiest of the Great Dutch War.

The Battle of Görlitz both horrified the leaders of Europe and accelerated the same process that had seen the growing size of armies. This, ironically, also led to increased food shortages and forced further aggression.

Autumn, 1788 saw the Habsburg army campaign in Saxony and south Silesia, successfully capturing Dresden and Leipzig. In Iberia, the Spanish failed both to reclaim Gijón and despite losing nearly 20,000 during a series of battles, failure in Gibraltar as well. An early winter brought the majority of warring to a halt. While skirmishing continued throughout the winter, by the thaw, Prussia and the rest of the German states roared into action and a new ally joined against Austria: the Most Serene Republic of Venice. Prussian forces marched into Saxony, determined to drive the Habsburgs out. On March 14th, in the Battle of Leipzig, Von Lacy saw defeat and was forced to retreat Chemnitz. Three days later, the Venetians captured Trieste.

In central and western Germany, the military situation was far more confused. The fragmented nature of the Holy Roman Empire had led to chaos as the Fürstenbund and allied forces fought pro-Habsburg forces in a series of battles that left a bloodletting of a scale not seen since the Thirty Years War. A long winter and a poor harvest in the previous year only worsened things as the ongoing war drove food prices high and made food scare. In what was a glimpse of things to come, the violence and hunger that was growing triggered a peasant revolt in the pro-Fürstenbund Electorate of Mainz that successfully took Mainz before being put down by Fürstenbund forces.

The Low Country saw a surprisingly low amount of fighting in 1788; William V was forced to consolidate control in non-rebelling provinces while the various rebel groups strengthened their position. 1789 in the Low Country however kicked off with violence as the Prince-Bishopric of Liege was overthrown in the New Year’s Revolution by a mixture of Belgian revolutionaries and anti-government rebels. Further violence occurred in Friesland where a Prussian-backed Frisian separatist movement fought a guerrilla campaign against the dominant Orangist provincial government. Attempts by William V’s allies in the Holy Roman Empire and Spain to improve the situation and hopefully secure the Netherlands from rebels were frustrated by William’s inability to commit to action. Disastrously, this saw a British raid on the Dutch fleet in Amsterdam escalate to a full out occupation of the city on March 23th.

Last edited:
That new aggression first came to a head on September 3rd when a Habsburg army of nearly 84,000 under the command of Franz Moritz von Lacy and a 66,000 strong Saxon-Meckelberger-Prussian army under Prince Henry of Prussia collided at Görlitz. (Snip) Finally, after over 40,000 Prussians deaths and 36,000 Habsburg troops joined them, Prince Henry fell and the Prussian army collapsed. The Battle of Görlitz was the largest battle fought in the 18th century so far, and would be the bloodiest of the Great Dutch War.

Sorry but these casualty numbers are completely unreasonable. No army is going to keep fighting until they've suffered 60% casualties, much less 60% fatalities.

Sorry but these casualty numbers are completely unreasonable. No army is going to keep fighting until they've suffered 60% casualties, much less 60% fatalities.

I concur with @LordVorKon. In the 18th and early 19th centuries casualties were usaually low compared to the total troops deployed (at least, in the western conflicts). The exceptions were when an army was captured or during a siege, but this was fairly rare.

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Sorry for the slow response, I've

Good to see this back. Sorry to hear about your University woes. Is there no chance of appealing?

Already did, got rejected.

Potatowar!

I just read though this timeline, and I have to say that it's amazing, cant wait to see more. Too bad your university tried to shut it down. What they did was ridiculous.

I'm really glad you like it!

Also a number of story-posts are threadless.

Hot beans I completely forgot about threadmarking at some point. I'll fix this ASAP

I concur with @LordVorKon. In the 18th and early 19th centuries casualties were usaually low compared to the total troops deployed (at least, in the western conflicts). The exceptions were when an army was captured or during a siege, but this was fairly rare.

Sorry about this, this is a fault on my end of forgetting to add in one critical element to the story: the Lusatian Neisse river. I had initially written a larger section on the battle itself, but I scrapped it because it didn't flow well and forgot to re-add that. I chosen Görlitz because a defending army could easily be trapped against the Lusatian Neisse, which is what happens to the Prussians ITTL. I based the Battle of Görlitz off of the Battle of Zorndorf from the Seven Years War which had higher than 40% casualty rate for both the attacker and defenders (which is a massive abnormality) but I ended it with a very high Prussian death rate because unlike the Battle of Zorndorf where both armies could have retreated at any point, the Battle of Görlitz sees the Prussians forced against the river. The river is wide and deep enough that it is unlikely the Prussians would try to retreat across until there wasn't any realistic chance of survival (in the Battle of Zorndorf, the defending Prussian army eventually forced a retreat from their attackers, and Prince Henry is attempting to duplicate that here), but it is small enough that a decent number could have crossed. In fact, in addition to adding back the river, I should have mentioned how a large number of casualties are from those who died in the river.

The First Amendment

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Hello once again everyone. I'm back again, and this time I waited a bit to make certain I was ready to write again and that nothing else would crop up as it did last month. I've also got an update too, although its a bit different. While I have writing to do on Europe, I started writing an update on American politics and I had a piece that's important but doesn't connect well. Thus, I wrote a fun (to write) little piece to talk about the First Amendment to the United States Constitution to get back into the swing of things. Beware though, it does have some spoilers although nothing very new.

Thank you all again for reading and for all who bore with me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

FOR REVIEW AND REVISION DUE TO ANTI TEUTONIC AND ANTI AMERICAN MESSAGE
IMPERIAL DEPARTMENT OF PROPAGANDA
OCTOBER 1 2035​
Document to Review:
"A Brief Summary of the First Amendment”
Written By James Corwin.
Published on ETTS:usa.hud.albanygazette.iis/104282, March 16 2029

PAGE 1

For reference, the full text of the First Amendment is as follows:

Section I:
No Persons shall be subject to any form of Slavery after the year 1827 in any Territory under the jurisdiction of the United States

Section II:
No State or Territory under the jurisdiction of the United States shall have more than one Resident per ten Citizens with the Exception of Those Territories which are set aside for Residents

Section III:
Citizens of the United States are freely allowed to travel between the States except as punishment for a Crime of which said Citizen is duly convicted. Residents are permitted to travel to States with Approval from the Legislature of the respective States.

Section IV:
Any Resident traveling into, or residing within a State with more than one Resident per ten Citizens shall be subject to Punishment in accordance with the laws of said State

Section V:
Congress shall have the authority to enforce laws to provide that the above Sections are enforced.

Amongst all sixty-four amendments to the Constitution of the United States, over forty have been repealed at some point or another. Only two amendments have ever been repealed more than once; the Twelfth Amendment (1832, 1922) and the Fifteenth Amendment (1848, 1932). The First Amendment has been repealed four times, in 1822, 1888, 1922 and 1977, giving it the dubious honor of being the most repealed amendment. It should be somewhat of a surprise then that so little is known about the First Amendment among modern United Statesers. There is no doubt that this lack of knowledge, along with the deliberate misinformation campaign by Jackson Duke, is a large part of the reason the recent proposal by the Action Party to bring back the First Amendment has gained so much traction.

When the First Amendment was adopted in 1791, it was a reaction to the Great Slave Rebellion which saw the death and displacement of tens of thousands of those who lived in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. Former slave owners were terrified by the prospect of another such rebellion and there was much confusion in these states as to what should be done with those slaves whose owners were either absent or dead. As such a convention of these states proposed that gradual abolition and an eventual removal of the majority of slaves to some territory in the west as the solution to the situation. This proposal would eventually become the basic idea of the First Amendment, and while the ending of slavery was a moral and just action, it was the other elements that led to the First Amendment's repeated repealing.

The first section of the First Amendment has been kept in some manner following the First Amendment's repeal every time it was repealed. Slavery is, without a doubt the most repugnant practice of Revolutionary Era USA, and most following generations in both the US and abroad have agreed with this sentiment even before abolition finally occurred in 1822. It is without a doubt that slavery was simply incompatible with the principles of Revolutionary Era USA; it was only a matter of time before an uprising like the Great Slave Rebellion would force abolition in the country where the pursuit of Life, Liberty and Happiness was so valued. After all, the moral conflict between slavery and the principles of Revolutionary Era USA actually prompted the First Amendment to be abolished in the first place by the Sixth Amendment which ended slavery six years earlier than the original 1827 deadline.

PAGE 2

Sections II through V represented the portion of the First Amendment that has so often caused immense suffering for the USA's non-white population. While not explicitly laid down, the terms Citizen and Resident were initially meant to serve as stand in terms for the USA's white and black populations respectively. And as such, the First Amendment was often used to justify the forced removal of much of the former slave population into what would become the African Autonomy (modern day Autonomous Republic of New Africa in Dixie) in 1804. The First Amendment would also be used during the Dictatorship of Andrew Jackson to undertake similar actions against Natives in the southwest of the United States, which ultimately led to the Sixth Amendment not containing similar sections when it replaced the First Amendment.

The First Amendment was brought back in 1867 by William Walker's Dictatorship in order to deal with the remaining Polkists and Libertarians rather than any racial policies. The Polkists and Libertarians having been stripped of their citizenship and thus being “Residents" were moved to the newly acquired United States territory of the Grain Coast to secure United Stateser control over the region. Despite Walker's status as one of America's most racist Dictators, the Walker government actually had the same amendment which brought back the First Amendment, the Eighteenth Amendment, grant citizenship to most of America's nonwhite population; only some of the Natives would remain "Residents" of the United States rather than citizens. When Walkers government fell, Congress passed the Twenty-Second Amendment which once more suspended the First Amendment.

With the successful coup-d'état by the Young Americans at the tail end of the First Global War, the USA's brief (and limited) attempt at enfranchisement of non-whites came to an end, and the new government of Dictator Theodore Roosevelt would utilize the First Amendment to justify the removal and resettlement of hundreds of thousands of ethnic Chinese from Oregon, California and the rest of the United States’ possessions back to the newly acquired Oriental Territory. Similar action was not undertaken the black populations of the United States as under Rooseveltian National Corporatism people of African descent are at the same level as Mediterranean Europeans while East Asians are the second lowest group

Under the Nikists the First Amendment, particularly Section IV, was used to justify the horrors of

No need to go on and print more of this anti-American drivel. This Document is to be
censored in its entirety and not placed into archive

Actions authorized by Inspector-in-Training Alexander L. Corwin, 10/1/2035