Are you interested in reading this TL?

• Yes, hurry up with the next update!

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • I'm willing to give it a chance.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • Not today, thank you.

Votes: 4 2.8%

• Total voters
Another fantastic update! It's nice to see some (relative) peace, though the Bulgarians are still a threat.

Thanks :biggrin:. Dalmatia is at peace at long last. Fortunately form them, Bulgaria is far away and the war is unlikely to affect them.

who knows how things will turn out in Serbia...

That may be the topic of the next update, whenever it shall come!

The Adriatic is going to be a hotbed of maritime disputes, how exciting!

It certainly will be - you'll have seen the new update by now, but of course we must remember that Zara does not speak for all Dalmatia, and that the other cities will elect different leaders! For now the waters are calm, but there are so many players that friction is inevitable.

I think that the Venetians and Zara are going to have smash winner takes all battle for who gonna come out on top?

At this point it's difficult. Neither has a decisive advantage strategically at present. Dalmatia as a whole is still slightly weaker than Venice at present, so they can't 'decapitate' the Republic for now; whereas Venice would face a Dalmatian League with the might of the King of Hungary at its back. However, that's not to say that a battle might drastically change the balance of power! :eek:

showing an interest into medieval dalmatian history and writing this timeline

It's just too interesting to ignore, TBH :p

I think you're doing a splendid job of digging up information.

Thanks, its been a challenge. Hopefully the TL has some semblance of realism!

I present to you the Statvta Iadertina in all its original glory. How is your Latin :)?

Well actually if I do a language at Uni it will probably be New Testament Greek. Sorry!

Many changes and addition were made since the 13th century.

Very true, I've tried to be cautious of using anachronisms. It's the fault of the damnable Venetians! :closedtongue:

There is also a paper about the Zaratin Statute from 1305 in Croatian. It's 219 pages and I haven't read it (and who knows when I'll get the time), but any of you Croats that have the time can feel free to jump in and translate some of this for good all @Iluvatar .
https://hrcak.srce.hr/file/187000

Thanks for that, I managed to translate small portions which helped contribute to the new update.

Cool update.
Having badly translated the Croatian Wikipedia page on the Dalmatian flag, it seems that the association of leopards (later called lions) with Dalmatia and Croatia was already in existence before 1200. I think the easiest thing to do here would be to use a butterfly net and direct Dalmatia's heraldic history along a path similar to than of OTL. Unless someone has a more exiting (yet plausible) idea, in which case, please share!
I've not found anything indicating anything different except for the odd occasional switch of Croatian and Dalmatian Arms in various armorials at time.

It's been a while but I'm glad I caught up! What happened with the Angeloi TTL? There should have been some internal conflict around this time, also many of the nobles who formed the Byzantine successor states should still be at large.
Very interested to see how Dalmatian ascendency in the Adriatic will affect everything!

It's been a while but I'm glad I caught up! What happened with the Angeloi TTL? There should have been some internal conflict around this time, also many of the nobles who formed the Byzantine successor states should still be at large.
Very interested to see how Dalmatian ascendency in the Adriatic will affect everything!
A lot of us were piling onto the author with some of these questions--what will happen to the whole Eastern Empire, what will the OTL 4th Crusaders do in France having been sent home without ever heading east at all, etc. Bearing in mind the focus of the TL is in the Adriatic, we should not tax the author with expected highly detailed accounts of the east or the west. In the first few posts of the TL I had no idea what the time scale would be either--the above most recent canon post is thread post 200, and we have covered about two years since the crucial divergences. Someone deeply invested in a TL about Constantinople or 13th century France might already have discerned knock on divergences from a return in shame of the 4th Crusaders back to France in the latter case or the blithe and blissful ignorance in Constantinople what a terrible bullet of fate they have recently been spared allowing the Angeloi soap opera to unfold uninterrupted might well be able to discern divergences of lasting importance downstream likely to result in a mere two year period, maybe. But how obligated is the author to trace every possible divergence in regions that are distant, albeit obviously involved in shaping what happens on the immediate stage of the Adriatic? Details of what happens in Constantinople do not matter, but obviously the plain differences between a Latin Kingdom of OTL and the continuing Angeloi dynasty left alone does, insofar as either had active designs in the region of Italy. But we know the Eastern Empire involved itself in Italy by this late date, and even the eastern shore of the Adriatic, only sporadically and weakly, the very events we are focused on represent the period when the city-state powers and inland kingdoms on these shores are starting to operate as free agents on their own without much concern for what the Eastern Emperor might do--directly. Clearly the more successful Dalmatia is the more Dalmatian interests will intrude into regions the Eastern Empire does control. Clearly the involvement of Dalmatia with upholding the central power of the Hungarian dynasty entangles Dalmatia at second hand with the adventures of that complex of kingdoms, this Latin-rite near-empire of Hungary's, with whoever borders them on the east and south--and those powers in turn have Byzantium right at their backs. We shall be very very interested in the question of whether the avoidance of the infamous sack and conquest by the 4th Crusaders will pretty much come out in the wash, prolonged Angeloi incomptence (that is the impression I am getting from other commentators anyway) will run the Empire down quite as much as the Latin did, or whether they either get better or are replaced with some completely ATL dynasty that pulls the city and its empire together for another phase of ascendency--even if that too is doomed to stagnate and collapse, it will change the overall pattern by at least delaying OTL stages of inexorable decay to later decades or even centuries, and perhaps buy enough breathing room for another cycle of ascendency and thus sustain a direct and Orthodox run succession traceable straight back to Augustus Caesar and thus the Roman Republic based state in operation this very day; I specified the religion because it is possible to claim the Ottomans took up that succession OTL which takes Rome straight to the Great War, wearing at least three crowns (Sultanate, Romanov and Hapsburg) all decapitated at pretty much the same time in the debacle of the postwar chaos. It would be the job of someone deeply entwined in knowledge of Byzantine society and culture and the general situation of the early 13th century to discern whether the Latin intervention was a fatal act that doomed an otherwise viable system to die prematurely some centuries later, or just another incident in a checkered act that was bound to come to an end well before the second CE millennium ended. And the more we deviate from the OTL pattern, the more out on a limb we are in terms of judging plausibility. For all I know the author has quite as much interest in a Byzantium wank as in putting Dalmatia as a continuing entity as distinct and relevant as say Scotland is today on 21st Century maps, and is manfully restraining himself from that temptation.

Similarly we could go to town completely butterflying the history of Western Europe by supposing the contingent of returning non-veterans of an ignominiously aborted non-Crusade shall create all sorts of cascading deviations versus the OTL that saw them off the French stage to go far away and never return save in the form of history and legend. This was, according to my texts in a class focused on the Crusades as such, one of the major goals of the whole Crusade movement as foreseen and planned by Latin rite Catholic Church leadership in the person of several successive Popes--further their general project of reducing disruptive violence in Western Christendom by draining off surplus knights who stirred up trouble scrounging for opportunity, channeling their capability into a focused tool of collective western Christendom to hammer away, hopefully at completely non-Christian foes, but not too many tears were shed over the fact that Byzantium was Christian--but the wrong kind of Christian! This might have scandalized Urban and Clement who called for the first Crusade a century and more before, because they did seek a serious detente with the East and coordination of efforts as allies as part of a more logically consistent version of the Peace of Christ, not to mention the pragmatics of avoiding conflict with and securing the aid of a quite strong Eastern Empire. But a century hence, with much bitterness on both sides developing from the actual developments of the first several Crusades and the outcomes of each--Latins using their success to usurp and shut out Eastern imperial authority, said Imperials having desires to use and use up Latin Crusaders with more self-serving interests in mind--quite on top of older dissensions between the branches atop developing deep conflicts of interest, the West pretty much lumped together all divergences from Roman Catholicism, whether nominally Christian or otherwise; the great touchstone between friend and foe being whether the local rite submitted to the authority of the Pope or not, and I suppose this too was as much a matter of which locals it was convenient to offer to coopt as agents and which were deemed simply in the way, whether the Latins would offer the option or not I mean!

So, failure to drain off this particular batch of contentious second sons and other ambitious troublemakers might quite derail OTL history and put us on a different path entirely. So now to write the TL with maximum "plausibility" in contingent events going down a different path and avoidance of the mysticism of supposing OTL is especially probable, we need to eventually mastermind the comprehensive history of the whole sweep of both branches of European Christendom, ranging from Iceland to the Urals, down to Iberia and via the Muslim impact on both Iberia and the Mediterranean world in general, to the Sahara to Egypt, the entire Med shores in fact, and consider carefully how divergences anywhere in this vast system might tip balances in systems all around--in Central Asia, in the heart of the Islamic heartland, in all the Maghreb, possibly in West Africa, and via Central Asia, India and China too.

Or, the author could choose to keep something simple somewhere and figure more conveniently that France at least reshuffles to perhaps change some names, obscure and terminate some illustrious families of OTL and elevate others obscure to us, but the basic pattern of development of the development of France and interaction with neighbors and peripheral subjects like the Plantagenets settles down more or less as OTL, so we can take the history of that which is west and north of the Adriatic at least as a given template to play off divergences on the east and south scrupulously worked out, albeit in soft focus versus the practically day by day focuse on Zara we have had thus far.

It has only been two years, how much drama should we expect in either France or Constantinople over this time anyway?

I trust the author will make hard decisions among these options and seek a plausible outcome of ATL events that makes historical sense.

I expect the time scale to change now that we have gotten past the foundational crisis of ATL Dalmatia as I suppose the author envisages it; we may expect lapses of decades, generations, even centuries now that the course has been set on a firm keel. In that context it is reasonable to expect and require updates on both how Constantinople's status and that of Western Europe in general has diverged from OTL insofar as these are relevant to Italy and the west Balkan shore and all the waters between. But this should not overly haunt or burden the author; surely he would not mind various suggestions to weigh and weave as seems reasonable.

Mine is, let's have an ATL East and convergent West; others might desire the opposite. Indeed another pet notion of my own, inspired entirely by the early posts of this account, is to have Hungary become the hegemon of a long lasting imperial domain, preempting and eclipsing Austria, and have this persist to modern times unbroken--challenged, subject to ebbs and flows, but nothing quite so awful as the near total erasure that happened OTL in the late 16th and early 17th centuries. I think this version of Hungary will evolve to be quite different in habits and inclinations that the kingdom we know OTL.

It looks to me like the author is indeed laying some foundations of such a persistent Magyar status as bulwark of Latin Christendom's southeastern frontiers, a job that might be complicated by but also assisted a more robust legacy of the Orthodox Eastern Empire not critically broken by the Latin treachery here butterflied away. But how much of my own suggestions the author may find suitable is entirely up to his discretion, and I bow to his far superior understanding of the situation on the ground in the region of interest!

After all, until reading this TL I never gave any thought to a Magyar imperium!

I actually see a more fractured nobility in France with a Holy Roman-esque patchwork of holdings. Consolidation in the hands of a few nobles while living the knights out to dry will definitely see a river of blood so the French Monarchy might ascend faster into Absolutism.

The Byzantines I think, if they manage to hang on, are actually in a good position. Bulgaria and Serbia have to not only worry about each other but Hungary as well.

I actually see a more fractured nobility in France with a Holy Roman-esque patchwork of holdings. Consolidation in the hands of a few nobles while living the knights out to dry will definitely see a river of blood so the French Monarchy might ascend faster into Absolutism....

Do you suppose the 4th Crusade backflowing back home into France really had the numbers to have a big effect? Surely they must butterfly something, but I'd think they would hardly amount to more than a handful of percent on the French domestic stage--enough to shift some schemes so that OTL successes for some factions are less so or even some OTL great houses fall completely, while other schemes that came to naught OTL do better so that people unfamiliar save as obscure footnotes or even not at all OTL become great names for generations to come. In short, rearranging the feudal patchwork. But do you really think it tips the balance in terms of the grander and deeper trends enough to warrant rewriting a single page capsule summary of the next few centuries? Because if it can do that, the knock ons making France qualitatively different would reverberate or even cascade to make France and neighboring powers quite a different place and getting more divergent every century, by early modern times western Europe might be near unrecognizable.

This in fact seems to be what you are saying. I am not aware of what percentage of the total chivalry of France the prematurely and ingloriously returning Crusade would represent, so it could be anything for all of me. One percent, five percent, ten, twenty, a third? Probably well below that I suppose but how much below? Do you have ready to hand figures?

I did say part of the circa 1100 or so concept of the Crusade the Papacy championed was to drain off troublesome second and third sons, but that tells me nothing of scale--a fraction of a percent would still be seen as a step forward.

And as the author's own storyline shows--jibing with many another OTL medieval account and indeed being drawn straight from the annals of true history (the defeat of Andrew by Emeric story that is)--it takes a rather distant stochastic analysis of medieval affairs to make claims about cold material factors in this era; quite a lot of crucial stuff was decided by almost random contingency! Any scale of change can balloon into total transformation, it seems, though a materialist like me would at least want to claim completely alternate dynasties with quite different borders and core holdings would be forced to converge with OTL broad patterns on a scale of big continental regions and centuries. Thus my concept of the lasting Magyar hegemony is that it pretty much will broadly conform to the role of the Holy Roman Empire in the southeast, and more closely later to the role of Austria (while that region, so named, will be a small and secondary subregion, perhaps at some point even subservient as a northwestern outlier of Hungarian control). So, basically Austria-Hungary but shifted farther east, and bordering not on Ottoman or some other Muslim power of a different name, but the successor or later manifestation of "Romania" in the sense a lot of people like to spell with an h after the R-that is, the persisting Byzantine state. That's my personal preference anyway, I think in agreement with you--without the backstab of the OTL 4th Crusade Byzantium always manages to recover from any ATL tailspins well enough to hold on to the City and remain at least a regional major power, never falling to Muslim conquest. There might be some other Muslim major power intruding onto Europe, but not into Thrace anyway, and probably if the City can hold, it retains at least the near parts of Anatolia as well, and particularly all shores of the Bosporous from Dardanelles to the Black Sea. And if we grant that, perhaps there will be no more than fleeting Muslim incursions into the Baltics at all--indeed the anticipated (by me) eventual reincorporation of Ragusa and the other southern Dalmatian city into the Dalmatian system proper suggests that the Adriatic will always repel such incursions. Still there might anyway be a great Islamic power on southern Anatolia, the Levant and Egypt and I figure all of North Africa will be permanently Muslim, with or without coming under this Egyptian-Levantine power's sway.

I'd actually think that to manage to hold the shores of the Bosporous the Byzantine power must have some deep pockets, and can generally manage to keep control of both essentially all of Greece and much or all of Bulgaria and perhaps fluctuating amounts of OTL Romania as well, and I don't know how much of the Black Sea shores as well. I think southern Russia AKA Ukraine will be in a weird ambiguous position as cultural ally and often one of the most troublesome political rivals, but sometimes ally, of the Byzantine state, and control of northeast quadrant of the Black Sea shore will fluctuate, but rarely belong to the Byzantines. Crimea, however, and perhaps the southeast Caucasian shores, might be long term held as exarchates quite loyal to the Byzantine system, conceivably the whole north shore of Anatolia might hold. Or they might fall to invading Central Asians turning to Islam and never be recovered, a fate more likely for Crimea than the Caucasus perhaps.

I do visualize that eventually the frontier will be between Hungary and Rhomania or whatever we want to call it; I have always been comfortable with Byzantium myself but I daresay I am too influenced by Western European classic tradition there and I understand the people and especially rulers of that realm, in an ATL where they last into the 21st Century, would resent it and simply call themselves "Romans." I frankly am not sure where the h after R came in except as a convention here on ATL boards to distinguish from OTL Romania. In an ATL where they did last and politically correct people as I strive to be myself respected the wishes of the regime and probably vast majority consensus of the population, we would not intrude the h and an English (at any rate some form of England exists in this ATL, though it might evolve to be significantly different!) translation so respectful would just plain call them Romans. Except that would be confusing with the actual Rome in Italy so I throw my hands up and say "Byzantine" to be clear and be done with it! "Eastern Empire" seems respectful enough to me, what do people think? Still leaves me at a loss for ATL demonym though! I just like "Byzantine" to be honest. Do we really come by "Rhomanian" honestly?

@Shevek23
Rhomania comes from Greek Ῥωμᾱνῐ́ᾱ which transliterates as Rhōmāníā as Greek initial R had an aspirate component that had the Romans write it as Rh - this shows in English spellings of Rhine and Rhone.
However I certainly use Rhomania to help differentiate from the country formerly called Roumania/Rumania.

Last edited:
Status update:

Hi guys, just thought I should give a quick update on what's going on with the TL. I've been at Uni for almost a month, but I'm still not ready to resume quite yet. I haven't figured out exactly how much is expected of me here, and I'd like to get into a proper routine before I come back to this. It's quite a different challenge, to research such an obscure topic as Zara whilst simultaneously working on my first semester modules!

But rest assured that this has not been abandoned and that I will continue with this tale at some point in the near(ish) future :).

Thanks!

- Ilu

Status update:

Hi guys, just thought I should give a quick update on what's going on with the TL. I've been at Uni for almost a month, but I'm still not ready to resume quite yet. I haven't figured out exactly how much is expected of me here, and I'd like to get into a proper routine before I come back to this. It's quite a different challenge, to research such an obscure topic as Zara whilst simultaneously working on my first semester modules!

But rest assured that this has not been abandoned and that I will continue with this tale at some point in the near(ish) future :).

Thanks!

- Ilu
no worries were patient

Take care of yourself, enjoy uni and stay successful there. Quite naturally I'd like to see updates but I'd hardly want their author to crash and burn to get them; better to wait half a year or a year and a half than to have you get in over your head. You should work on it only as it pleases you to, no pressure from us.

Chapter 20 - Varicassi
As promised, I had not abandoned this timeline! Although it may have been almost two years of hiatus since the last update, I’ve always wanted to come back to it. I hope that you will enjoy what is to come. This is partly in celebration of the recent addition of a distinct Dalmatian culture to Europa Universalis IV!

I’ve decided to compose this update in more of a ‘narrative’ style then I have previously favoured, so please let me know whether or not you approve.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Varicassi
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

With the Venetian threat averted and the rightful King restored to the throne in Esztergom, the city of Zara was blessed with a time of relative peace and prosperity. Damian Varicassi [1] governed wisely for his two-year term, and his part was chiefly to set to rights what the wars had put awry. He was also a man who took thought for those who would come in the days after him.

Although the power of Venice had for a time retreated northwards, the Comes knew that they would one day return. Already the Venetian war fleet was being rearmed, and daily grew in strength. Therefore Varicassi sought to make Zara a stronghold against them, and took up the task of readying his people for the return of their enemy. In his day the walls of the city were repaired and the gates fortified, and the haven was expanded for the building and mooring of many ships.

Yet even under his beneficent rule, stirrings of unrest began to appear. The faction of Calcina [2], which favoured Venice, laboured unceasingly to make trouble for the Comes. It was their influence in the Maiori Consilio [3] which saw the ban against Venetian merchants lifted, despite the efforts of Varicassi to thwart their scheme. In later years it was revealed that many spies and agents from the Doges had entered the city disguised as merchants, and much of what transpired in Zara was known soon after in Venice.

The Galeliti [4] also began to murmur against the Loyalist faction [5], frustrated by their lord’s favour for the Dalmatian tongue and its customs. Instead, they contended that Zara was by rights a Croatian city, and that it should therefore acknowledge the authority of Hipolit, Ban of Croatia. Some preferred use of the Slavic speech, and began to shun the Dalmatian except for matters of state, although this part was taken as yet by few of their number. In this, they had the support of Domaldus, Comes of Sebenico, who ruled as a Croat lord over both Dalmatians and his own people.

Still, few men had just cause for ill-will under the rule of Varicassi. Doubtless his prudence and foresight left Zara better prepared to face the trials which were to come. Never once did he overestimate his own power within the City, nor did he reckon the strength of Zara far greater than it was in truth. He knew well the might of Venice, Hungary, Rhomania and the many other realms which lay close to his own small state. He received many envoys, conversing personally with them in the Latin and Greek which he knew and loved, and sought their friendship and goodwill. The alliance with Ancona was renewed, and a bond of affinity began to grow between the two cities, even in those early years. Zaratin merchants travelled ever further afield, as far as Flanders in the north and Egypt in the south.

The rest of Dalmatia also blossomed under his care, though he used the Dalmatian Universitas as little as he could to avoid disturbing the delicate status quo which had emerged in the wake of the civil war. As Prince he considered all seven cities his responsibility, and took special thought for the northern islands, near as they were to the Venetian holdings in Istria. His chief part as Prince was to keep Dalmatia out of the civil war for the throne of Germany and the Holy Roman Empire, and to placate Croatian magnates displeased by Emeric's territorial concessions to the Dalmatians.

When his term came to its end in 1205 he willingly resigned the coronet to his successor, Berto Matafarri [6], a friend and companion of his for some years. The new Comes made him a chief councillor and secured his election to the Pedlo Consilio [7]. Prosperity and peace were the legacy of Varicassi’s governance.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It has been a while, so some of these footnotes will be refreshers for those who have forgotten certain details.

[1] Damian Varicassi was a real Zaratin diplomat, although he was never (as far as is known) elected Comes of Zara IOTL, as he has been ITTL.

[2] Zoilo Calcina is a character of my own creation, and he represents the pro-Venetian political element in Zara.

[3] Maiori Consilio is a Dalmatian term roughly translating as 'Greater Council', which was the primary legislative body in Zara.

[4] The Galeliti are the pro-Croatian faction. Their name is taken from Nicola Galeli, who is a character of my own creation. Therefore the factional name is also fictional.

[5] The Loyalist (or Royalist) faction is so named for their view that the Dalmatian city-states are subject to the King of Hungary as a distinct entity separate from Croatia

[6] Berto Matafarri was a real Zaratin diplomat and associate of Varicassi, although like his colleague he is not known to have ever been elected Comes.

[7] Pedlo Consilio is Dalmatian for 'Small Council', effectively the executive of Zara.

I will post whenever I have something worth reading to share with you. Again, many apologies for the long hiatus!

Last edited: