Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Well, I decided to give Godwin a try. And I pulled it off. ANGLO-SAXON ENGLAND FOREVAH!

Harold 'the Great' died at 64, in battle during a war against Scotland's notorious 'Malcom the Cruel'. (His Martial score had hit 21 by the time of his death, thanks to some good luck with events.) In between this and the wars against the Welsh, England's making good headway to uniting the island...

I think this game is already on par with EUIII as one of the best Paradox games ever. I'm loving it.

I started as the Duke of Lancaster and by 1140 I've successfully usurped the throne of England, crowned myself King of Ireland and conquered Wales.

Tellus

Banned
Ive played this alot this week. I managed a grand reconquistada centuries early as Leon, rebuilt Byzantium ala Justinian in another game, became King of Burgundy and Italy as Pierre of Savoie (married Mathilda) and then went on to get elected HRE in another, and played the Kingdom of Jerusalem at it's zenith... and all the games have been alot of fun.

I've all ended them a bit early tho, so far Ive never seen the 14th century.

I'll try to change that next. Starting as Guillaume de Normandie and trying to recreate the Angevin Empire. Actually, for this one I decided to allow myself to mod-in a De Jure Angevin Empire that no ones own in the beginning. This way if I suceed at claiming the British Isles and the French throne, I'll be able to crown myself Emperor without having the annex the HRE. Figured it would be fun. Of course since its just De Jure it has no in-game effect until I manage to create it. Figured it would be a fun goal. I took some freedoms with the border since its a fictional construct, I'm aware the historical Angevins never quite reached this size. And the bigger the more challenging to create :)

ck2_24.jpg

With the latest patch, I decided to start off the game as an Ethiopian Cornwall* and happened on something pretty neat-- the Shia Caliphate swallowed up Axum, Abyssinia and Harer pretty quickly, and after each annexation, some of those Ethiopians fled all the way to Ethiopian Cornwall. I've had some pretty awesome emigres come through Cornwall; all of the Kagwe and Solomonid Ethiopian royal families are present at my court**, along with their former advisors.

*Matrilineal marriage between Godwin of England's sister and a lowly Ethiopian courtier, grant the Ethiopian a few counties in the Southwest, switch to Ethiopian and declare independence during the worst of the English wars

**I just realized that this means I gain prestige when I marry my kids off to my courtiers, since my courtiers are actually higher royalty than my own family.

Last edited:
Yes, I've wondered about this too - I don't have the best computer, what kind of specs are required?

I've played EU2 and EU3, EU3 makes my computer freeze up regularly... How does this compare?

Never, ever, ever create an exclave. I have had so much trouble holding onto one piddily little province in the Levant, and the trouble just isn't worth it.

Tellus

Banned
Considering buying this. Is it really worth 40 bucks?

Largely. Well, it depends what 40 bucks is to you and how much you like strategy games. But personally, I'd have paid twice that if I had to. I mean I already played it for probably well over 40 hours :p That's great value.

Largely. Well, it depends what 40 bucks is to you and how much you like strategy games. But personally, I'd have paid twice that if I had to. I mean I already played it for probably well over 40 hours :p That's great value.
I usually tend to snatch up Paradox titles when they're twenty bucks or less, but this really is a stirling game. Maybe wait for the price to drop down to thirty, but it's totally the buyer's call there.

Well, I just made my first antipope--King Ugo I of Italy didn't appreciate Pope Clement II excommunicating him, and Clement II didn't appreciate Ugo whittling down the Papal States down to just Rome. (To be fair, it was Kaiser Rudger the Cruel who got Orbiettello for me, but the end results were the same.) Mind you, Ugo's participation in the Sardinian Crusade ended the excommunication, but he still didn't like the Pope very much. So, he instituted Free Investure in Italy, and set up the Bishop of Rialto as the new Pope, Honorious II. Having done that, he proceeded to die of old age, leaving the Kingdom to his son, Ugo II. Ugo II's project--get the Popes to know their place!

Last edited:

Tellus

Banned
I usually tend to snatch up Paradox titles when they're twenty bucks or less, but this really is a stirling game. Maybe wait for the price to drop down to thirty, but it's totally the buyer's call there.

Sure is. Video games are an odd industry. Given the patching process and the price point drops, you always get a much better product for half the cost if you can wait six months.

This formula only works because we live in a culture of immediacy, but a smart and patient buyer would probably never pay over 20$ for a title and have a better time playing.

Yes, I've wondered about this too - I don't have the best computer, what kind of specs are required?

I've played EU2 and EU3, EU3 makes my computer freeze up regularly... How does this compare?

It works well on my (almost) 3 year old laptop. It runs on par or better than EU3 Heir to the Throne (never played latest expansion). Much better than EU3 with big mods.

Just got this. Seems fun, any recommended starter nations?

Play as an Irish earl. You'll start at small scale, with one country only so it should be easy for a first game to manage. Plus, Ireland is quite disunited, giving you opportunity to become duke, and eventually unite island into a kingdom, without risk of being stomped by a powerful neighbour.

So I get that the brothers that hates me want to rise up against me and steal my duchy, but why are the brothers that likes me rising up too?? Aren't they supposed to like me?

Also, the AI is darned sneaky. They attack my rebelling brothers. Watch me tear the castles of the traitors to the ground and marching home with the rebels in chains, then they move in and siege the ruins of my brothers' castles and basically steal them. Lost 4 counties that way.