Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Tellus

Banned
I love adding new appropriate tracks to game music to lengthen the score a bit. Basically heavily instrumental, medieval feeling music, with majestic/crusading/religious overtones I guess. Its hard to describe but I guess you know it when you hear it.

So far I've picked these two tracks from the Kingdom of Heaven OST, Ibelin and The King and recut the latter a bit because the pace was too slow in parts for game music, but the track was too amazing not to include. Liking the result.

Obviously theres some other Waldetoft pieces that could work here too such as cityofjerusalem from EU3.

If you guys have any ideas for songs that would be a nice fit, please share!

Edit: turns out you have to convert your music to OGG format or itll cause CTDs! http://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-ogg

Last edited:
Well, i suggest you the Cantigas of Santa Maria, especially in instrumental.

Probably some epic trobadoresque chants of crusade as this one. or this (even if the music was lost and replaced by an arabo-andalou one)

Last edited:

Tellus

Banned
Just a heads up: now two of three restrictions of the demo have been beaten thanks to a legion of rabid fans :D

You can play as anyone by clicking on their province as the game loads, thats not new...

But you can also play as long as you want thanks to a clever script in the Demo Cheats thread on the Paradox forums. This script doesnt alter the hard coded end in 1086; instead it ahistorically redates every single event, character-related date, and everything else 400 years back. So the game starts in 666 with the exact setup of 1066, and lasts until 1086, so 420 years. Paradox isn't cracking down on this apparently cause the threads still there. Its something that could have been done manually anyhow, if you had a week to waste... And it works really nice.

So the limitations of the demo are now solely the fact you cant save and that you wont be able to patch it come launch day. ENjoy.

Tellus

Banned
So, I'm the only one playing this demo nonstop here? :D

If anyone needs a copy of the files that redates everything 400 years back to let you play 420 years, let me know. Keep in mind you can also pick anyone you like with the trick posted above.

Basically this demo is the full game minus the ability to save once you know the tricks :)

Just a heads up: now two of three restrictions of the demo have been beaten thanks to a legion of rabid fans :D

You can play as anyone by clicking on their province as the game loads, thats not new...

But you can also play as long as you want thanks to a clever script in the Demo Cheats thread on the Paradox forums. This script doesnt alter the hard coded end in 1086; instead it ahistorically redates every single event, character-related date, and everything else 400 years back. So the game starts in 666 with the exact setup of 1066, and lasts until 1086, so 420 years. Paradox isn't cracking down on this apparently cause the threads still there. Its something that could have been done manually anyhow, if you had a week to waste... And it works really nice.

So the limitations of the demo are now solely the fact you cant save and that you wont be able to patch it come launch day. ENjoy.
You're stuck with only the events available in 1066 though. You don't get any latter events so it's like you're stuck in the 11th century for ever.

Tellus

Banned
You're stuck with only the events available in 1066 though. You don't get any latter events so it's like you're stuck in the 11th century for ever.

Hm true the Mongol invasions and the few other year-based events dont trigger correctly. You can always adjust these few dates manually though!

Oh and btw, the final restriction, the one about saving has been overcome as well for people with a bit of patience and know-how. You can run the game in a virtual machine with save states to save :D

I'm actually very impressed.
It's very fun in the current state, but the modding potential seems limitless. No game breaking bugs. It looks very nice.
Last but not least, it doesn't overheat my poor dingy laptop and runs better than CK1 (!!!) on it.

Personally, i've pre-purchased the game on Steam, as the game to be particularly refined compared to more recent Paradox productions.

By the way, apparently Steam offers a free CK+Deus Vult game to anyone making the pre-purchase.

Tellus

Banned
My biggest empire so far, Charlemagne would be proud :D I was trying to recreate his Empire but I kinda went overboard, didnt I? :p The 'Invasion' CB granted by the Pope is a bit OP, let me annex France and Leon and Poland and Hungary after I replaced the Pope who hated me with a loyal Antipope. Didnt hurt that Heinrich IV literally ruled for 65 years :eek: Crazy!

ck2_8.jpg

(In another game) My best King so far (King of Sicily and soon Italy, son of the Duke of Apulia who voluntarily joined the HRE). The secret is raising them yourselves, if your king is any good, you can really game the traits using the special events.

ck2_11.jpg

Again until the game comes out you can game all the demo restrictions like this:

- Play as any ruler by clicking anywhere on the map as the game loads
- Play as long as you want using a mod that rolls back every date in the game by 400 years, that you can get in the Cheats thread on the Paradox forums
(Hardcore only) - Save and Load by playing the game inside a virtual machine with savestates such as VMware :)

And for the less honorable, the game is already available in full via the usual less-than-savory channels, but its its really an amazing title and even if you opt to 'play it early' its truly worth spending 40$ on regardless.

Tellus, what happened to England? Did Morcar revolt after a Norwegian conquest and manage to kill his brother to gain control of Northern England?

Also, that independent Brittany would drive me crazy.
=================================

I'm thinking of Modding in this event. :cool:

Title - The Hunters Become The Hunted

Odds of occurrence = 1 in a hundred times after a hunt is launched[if possible I'll limit this to the summer].

Subscript - Your hunting party is being stalked by a demon and picked off one by one.

Choice A - Flee (Characters who are cowards must choose this option)
------- Result = 90% You are killed and your flayed body is found hanging from a tree. 10% You are the lone survivor, your crazy story has you labeled a heretic. -100 prestige, -100 piety.

Choice B - Challenge the monster to a duel (Characters who are proud must choose this option)
------- Result = 90% You are killed and the monster takes your skull as a trophy leaving your headless body to rot. 10% You defeat the monster. Gain 200 prestige, 200 piety and the name Demon Slayer

Choice C - If it bleeds, we can kill it.
------- Result = 50% You use your knowledge of the local terrain to ambush and kill the monster. Gain 200 prestige, 200 piety and the name Demon Slayer. 50% You are killed and the monster takes your skull as a trophy leaving your headless body.

Last edited:
My biggest empire so far, Charlemagne would be proud :D I was trying to recreate his Empire but I kinda went overboard, didnt I? :p The 'Invasion' CB granted by the Pope is a bit OP, let me annex France and Leon and Poland and Hungary after I replaced the Pope who hated me with a loyal Antipope. Didnt hurt that Heinrich IV literally ruled for 65 years :eek: Crazy!

(In another game) My best King so far (King of Sicily and soon Italy, son of the Duke of Apulia who voluntarily joined the HRE). The secret is raising them yourselves, if your king is any good, you can really game the traits using the special events.

Again until the game comes out you can game all the demo restrictions like this:

- Play as any ruler by clicking anywhere on the map as the game loads
- Play as long as you want using a mod that rolls back every date in the game by 400 years, that you can get in the Cheats thread on the Paradox forums
(Hardcore only) - Save and Load by playing the game inside a virtual machine with savestates such as VMware :)

And for the less honorable, the game is already available in full via the usual less-than-savory channels, but its its really an amazing title and even if you opt to 'play it early' its truly worth spending 40$ on regardless.

*deleted pics from the quote as not to clutter my post*

Dear god, how on earth did you manage to do that as the HRE? It seems like every time I play CK2, the HRE always collapses unless players are controlling the internal duchies.

Tellus

Banned
Tellus, what happened to England? Did Morcar revolt after a Norwegian conquest and manage to kill his brother to gain control of Northern England?

Also, that independent Brittany would drive me crazy.
=================================

I didnt pay much attention to England, but I liked the powerful York state emerging. I believe Norway won initially but left too many Saxon lords independent and they grouped under the York banner.

I actually liked it because like I said the goal was to recreate Charlemagne's empire, and he never did fully invade Britanny :D

Dear god, how on earth did you manage to do that as the HRE? It seems like every time I play CK2, the HRE always collapses unless players are controlling the internal duchies.
Like I wrote, I was demonstrating the excessive power of the Invasion casus belli to expand this much, and I also had a super long lived Monarch which had a +60ish Long Reign bonus at the end. That kind of glue will hold anything together. This being said Ive had zero troubles with internal issues. Are you paying attention to negative relations modifiers of your vassals? Things like too many Ducal titles, too big a Demsene, etc, will ruin any realm. Once my 90 year old Emperor died, things got fairly difficult to manage in the provinces.

I posted more CK goodness about how OP Invasion is on the forums today which I'll copy here for your enjoyment:

How I engineered a Catholic Papal Invasion CB on the Byzantine Empire

Hello! I'm Alerias [My nick over there], and you may remember me from my former "Nerf the Invasion CB" thread, where I annexed France, Iberia (leon), Poland and Hungary within the lifespan of the 1066 Holy Emperor.

This time I'm playing a game as Apulia where I've essentially unified Italy, Croatia and North Africa, and crusaded for the Holy Land. Separating my Italo-Croatian possessions and my Mid-East Empire was a beefed up Byzantine empire, stretching from Dacia to Georgia to Beirut.

Normally you can only get invasion CBs granted on countries which share the same faith. However theres no 'national faith' in CK, its all character-based, and in this case of course, based on the religion of the head of state. Therefore, I figured (correctly) that if I could produce a Catholic heir to the Byzantine throne, I could not only make him vulnerable to the Papacy (which loves me as a Crusader and "True Christian Knight") but also cause substantial havoc within the realm because surely that wouldnt go down too well with the vassals.

Came in play the third heir to the Byzantine throne, an unmarried Greek/Orthodox youth, to which I've managed to marry my most stunning princess. She moved to Constantinople and bore him a son, of course, at which point I sent my best poisoner there... oh wait, no, he was already there pilfering Byzantine tech
tongue.gif
... and killed my son-in-law. Immediately after I invited my daughter back home, and she brought the kid along. At this point, the baby was second in line for the throne, and the Emperor was getting old. (70+)

Then, and this is the part where I think I was fairly clever, I raised the baby myself, and finally realized what all these ridiculously one sided events are good for. You surely all noticed many child-rearing events are basically "Choice A: Make him Temperate, Holy, Gregarious and the Pope falls in love with him" "Choice B: Make him Greedy, Glutonous and he wants to impregnate his sisters!". Well for once, I picked all the bad events.. cross-referencing closely with the traits of the Pope and putting a high value on everything that the Church would frown upon. Of course, in the process, the little brat became an Italian Catholic. 15 years later, the old Caesar had croaked, and the first in line for the Byzantine throne had not only crappy stats, but 6 of the 7 deadly sins.

I was planning on killing his uncle in Byzantium but I didnt even need to. At 17 years old, my little monster naturally got on the throne. Lucky break. I immediately checked what the Pope thought of him: (-86). And on the seventh day, the King of Italy had finished his work of creation, saw that it was good, and so he rested from all work.

The venerable Holy Crusader, liberator of the Holy Sepulcre, the King without sin, thus went to the little bishopric in Benevent from which the Pope ruled ever since his own father had taken the Papal states, and, with outrage on his face, told him about the monster sitting on the throne in Byzantium, and was immediately granted rights to invade 'In the name of God and the Blessed Virgin'.

The task was all the more simple considering the little prince had about 7 rebellions on his hands. Apparently Italian Catholics and Greek Orthodoxy doesn't mix too well. At that point all I needed to do was give a swift kick in the door and the whole house came crashing down (Well okay, it still took 8 years to occupy all the Empire, and then 2 hours to appoint lords to every province, but it was worth it).

Moral of the story : Invasion is still OP, but you've now learned a new trick: When the Pope likes a King too much to let you invade him, manufacture one that he wont.
wink2.gif
And when a country is of foreign faith, it will only remain so until you raise the heir to their throne yourself..

ck2_18.jpg

(Notice the grandson thing, and well, the fact a Catholic gets to invade Byzantium)

ck2_16.jpg

This I believe was the state of things soon before the invasion of Byzantium. Notice I own the holy land. Technically, I'm an HRE vassal still at this point. (Had voluntarily joined them early on) Another thing that was especially nice is that gaining an Emperor-level title frees you from vassalship to the HRE, and since the latter had managed High Crown Authority, that was a much welcome thing. Much less of a hassle than doing an Invasion of the HRE, which is, by the way, entirely possible... even if you're still an HRE vassal!!

ck2_21.jpg

You know what they say... like father, like son.
biggrin.gif

Seriously I think at a minimum, asking for an Invasion should have some additional triggers; A -personal- claim on the Throne you're trying to claim, first of all. (Basically making the Papal action about 'upgrading' an existing CB rather than creating one outright), it should also probably be impossible to invade the two Empires this way. (King level max), and Piety cost should vary. 500/250 is okay for a Kingdom like Croatia I guess, but not France.

Last edited:
How the game is dealing with the kings that have duchies in another kingdom, as the normand dynasty of England and Normandy?

Tellus

Banned
How the game is dealing with the kings that have duchies in another kingdom, as the normand dynasty of England and Normandy?

Sadly not ideally. You cannot be the vassal of anyone who doesn't have an higher title than you. If you notice in my post above, I've explained that become Byzantine Emperor ripped my Italian domains out of the HRE 'de facto', even if not 'de jure', since these borders are immutable.

In short, once William becomes King of England, Normandy flips red. But since it remains within the De Jure borders of France, French Crown Laws still apply there. But he gets to keep all the money, doesnt have to provide levies, etc.

Well it seems to be pretty well made. After all, the english dukes of Normandy never have, from memory, let their army under the royal command, and they not really helped the french kings.

For keeping all the money, it's quite normal.

Tellus

Banned
A little trick of mine I just shared that Im reposting. It certainly helps alot to have a good council to do great things, especially early on.

Though truth to be told I mostly pay for Debutantes, which I use to matrinally(sp) marry the Courtiers with the best stats in the land, to bring them to my court.

The character browser is super-powerful for finding them.

And the results... speak for themselves.

ck2_22.jpg

Admittedly this is my best Council ever, but I can reliably keep everyone at 20+. Just use 'male' as setting, select From All, and rank NPCs by the stat you want.

You can use Married = no, but if that yields bad results (can happen), go for Any, and if you find someone with a 29 or something (max Ive seen is 30, in Diplo), send your spymaster to their land, assassinate the wife, and apologize by offering them a new marriage :D This is only worth it when theyre 5+ pts better than the next option tho, unless they have super low Intrigue, the risk of getting caught must be offset by tremendous benefit.

Of course anyone who has land is unlikely to accept matri marriages but most NPCs tend not to. The ratio of landed to unlanded is impressive. As you can see from my super council above, you can also marry heatens, which IMO is something that should be made harder in a patch. Especially since as soon as they arrive at court, you can ask them to convert and they usually will if relations are good.

For people who abuse this trick for super wives and courtiers, be aware, DNA is mostly passed through the mother. :p

ck2_20.jpg

Well, here it goes. Game comes out tomorrow for me.

Paradox picked a pretty good day to release it. It should be helpful with distracting myself from depression.

Tellus

Banned
Well, here it goes. Game comes out tomorrow for me.

Paradox picked a pretty good day to release it. It should be helpful with distracting myself from depression.

Cheer up, not worth graying hairs over.

I got a date tomorrow... from a stranger on a dating website :p Plus the extra V-day pressure thrown in obviously. I reserve the right to change my mind afterwards, but right now, I'd much rather stay home all day and play CK2 in my PJs. This dating shit is more stress than it's generally worth.