Crisis in the Kremlin - Our 1982 USSR

If I were ever to make 2nd timeline, which one would you be most interested in?

• 1. German Empire 1888

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • 2. Russian Federation 1993

Votes: 74 34.9%
  • 3. Red China 1949

Votes: 37 17.5%
  • 4. Yugoslavia 1920

Votes: 27 12.7%
  • 5. India 1947

Votes: 28 13.2%
  • 6. alt-fascist Italy 1922

Votes: 29 13.7%
  • 7. South Africa 1994

Votes: 18 8.5%
  • 8. Germany 1990

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • 9. Japan 2000

Votes: 18 8.5%
  • 10. United Kingdom 1997

Votes: 20 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1. Who should be chosen as the new Second General Secretary of the CPSU?
a) Mikhail Gorbachev (Deputy Premier & Minister of Foreign Affairs/supported by the Reformists)
b) Eduard Shevardadze (First Deputy Premier/supported by Moderates and National Minorities)
c) Boris Shcherbina (Deputy Premier & Minister of Construction of the Oil and Gas Industries/supported by Conservatives)
d) Gury Marchuk (First Secretary of Komsolom/supported by Liberals)
e) Victor Kulikov (Minister of Defence/supported by Soviet Armed Forces)
a) Gorbachev is already being groomed for the position due to his actions, so he should continue. To appeal to the the Moderates, Shevardadze should take his position of Deputy Premier and a suitable candidate for the conservatives to replace Shevardadze.
2. Should the USSR begin a construction of Mir-2 space station?
A) Yes, it should be our priority
B) No, we can spend that money on other projects.
A) Our space program serves multiple purposes, the advancement of scientific discovery, international reputation and prestige and allowing our people to aspire to a thing greater than the terrestrial bonds of Earth. To cut it now would be foolish.
3. Please write down how should the USSR react to the ongoing unrest in Palestine?
Like it or not, we need to talk to the Americans about this. Our relations with Israel have been...uneven to say the least, and any handling of the wider issues that have caused this violence will require discussions with the Israeli government. I confess, I have no idea of what form a lasting peace would take, but if we can bring the PLO, and the Americans the Israelis, then at the very least a dialogue can be created and hopefully it will lead to something in the future.

If nothing else, it will reiterate our commitment to global peace.
4. Please write down how should the Soviet government react to the Battle of Cuito Cuanavale?
I have no real suggestion on how to react except to offer our Angolan comrades congratulations, quietly intensify the military aid to them, and see if we can provide some material replacements for anything our Cuban comrades may need. This war of anti-imperialist action is not liable to end soon after one battle, and without a decisive battle to their name, we can not hope to force a settlement on the conflict that would be favorable to the People.

1 - B; Although Gorbachev seems like a good candidate to me, I prefer that he continue his role in foreign relations, for now, I think that a moderate who has the support of minorities can benefit us more in the short term.

2 - A; prestige aside, it can be useful to us in two ways, in the first, we can use it as anti-American propaganda, emphasizing that while they seek to militarize space, we want peaceful scientific development, in the second, we can offer other communist nations (Poland , Czechoslovakia...) participate in it, as a project not only of the Soviets, but of the united communist nations

3 - We must support the Palestinian cause, and emphasize the "Two States" solution, empower the pro-Soviet factions, and donate construction and civilian equipment for the reconstruction and improvement of infrastructure. And at the citizen level, we can organize civil campaigns to donate food, medicine, clothing to reinforce the boycott of Israeli products.

4 - Let us publicize the success of the operations, let us study the operation from both perspectives, and denounce South African actions in the area. In military matters, we can send some officers from Afghanistan as advisors, to give new points of view, and to gain experience of the war in Africa

Additionally, if I may, I'd like to draw attention to two other issues.

The first is the Estonian issue. It is a source of embarrassment at best and needs to be dealt with. I would suggest that we "borrow" from Khrushchev's playbook on this matter. We should take advantage of the fact that our rehabilitation of Stalin is not to create the full cult of personality again, and to highlight the areas where his judgement failed, in this case his actions to buy time to allow the Union to better prepare to face the Nazi hordes by agreeing to a treaty that was an unfortunate requirement of political realities at the time. We can not hope to stay on top of the Molotov-Ribbentropp pact forever, but we can try to sooth some of the anger at it by blaming any excesses or cruelties, or possibly even the secret accords themselves, on the discredited duo of Molotov and Beria.

Molotov misled Stalin and the central committee to negotiate deals with the Nazis in secret, and Beria's debauched mind over-applied any policing on the Estonian and other Baltic peoples to an extreme beyond what Stalin could have known. It won't settle the issue totally, but by showing some self-criticism of Stalin's actions, while pushing the worst excesses on patsies, it will at least buy us a fig leaf of respectability in international circles. It will hopefully also calm the majority of Estonians by showing our intent to investigate the matter. We should also put pressure on the Estonian authorities to deal with this matter at once while we can offer them some cover of respectability. If they can not deal with this, others who can must be sought out.

The second issue is much graver. The Americans learned about Poseidon, and we do not know how. The source of this treason needs to be identified and dealt with, as until it is the very security of the Soviet Union is at stake. There should be no clemency, no exceptions and no hesitations on how this matter is dealt with. Self-reflection on our historical actions is acceptable, treason is not.

1 - B; Although Gorbachev seems like a good candidate to me, I prefer that he continue his role in foreign relations, for now, I think that a moderate who has the support of minorities can benefit us more in the short term.

2 - A; prestige aside, it can be useful to us in two ways, in the first, we can use it as anti-American propaganda, emphasizing that while they seek to militarize space, we want peaceful scientific development, in the second, we can offer other communist nations (Poland , Czechoslovakia...) participate in it, as a project not only of the Soviets, but of the united communist nations

3 - We must support the Palestinian cause, and emphasize the "Two States" solution, empower the pro-Soviet factions, and donate construction and civilian equipment for the reconstruction and improvement of infrastructure. And at the citizen level, we can organize civil campaigns to donate food, medicine, clothing to reinforce the boycott of Israeli products.

4 - Let us publicize the success of the operations, let us study the operation from both perspectives, and denounce South African actions in the area. In military matters, we can send some officers from Afghanistan as advisors, to give new points of view, and to gain experience of the war in Africa

The first is the Estonian issue. It is a source of embarrassment at best and needs to be dealt with. I would suggest that we "borrow" from Khrushchev's playbook on this matter. We should take advantage of the fact that our rehabilitation of Stalin is not to create the full cult of personality again, and to highlight the areas where his judgement failed, in this case his actions to buy time to allow the Union to better prepare to face the Nazi hordes by agreeing to a treaty that was an unfortunate requirement of political realities at the time. We can not hope to stay on top of the Molotov-Ribbentropp pact forever, but we can try to sooth some of the anger at it by blaming any excesses or cruelties, or possibly even the secret accords themselves, on the discredited duo of Molotov and Beria.

Molotov misled Stalin and the central committee to negotiate deals with the Nazis in secret, and Beria's debauched mind over-applied any policing on the Estonian and other Baltic peoples to an extreme beyond what Stalin could have known. It won't settle the issue totally, but by showing some self-criticism of Stalin's actions, while pushing the worst excesses on patsies, it will at least buy us a fig leaf of respectability in international circles. It will hopefully also calm the majority of Estonians by showing our intent to investigate the matter. We should also put pressure on the Estonian authorities to deal with this matter at once while we can offer them some cover of respectability. If they can not deal with this, others who can must be sought out.

The second issue is much graver. The Americans learned about Poseidon, and we do not know how. The source of this treason needs to be identified and dealt with, as until it is the very security of the Soviet Union is at stake. There should be no clemency, no exceptions and no hesitations on how this matter is dealt with. Self-reflection on our historical actions is acceptable, treason is not.
I am supportive of these proposals put forward.

One thing I would like to look into, is possibly scoring political points by intensifying our unmanned program of the inner planets to, eventually (hopefully), leapfrog to a man on Mars. We lost at the Moon, the next step is there, waiting for us!

Last edited:
Gury Marchuk (born 1925) is President of the Academy of Sciences.
First Secretary of Komsomol (elected 1986) is Viktor Mironenko.
In TTL, Marchuk combines roles of first secretary of komsomol an chairman of state commitee of science and technology. Its rather unusual combination, but it follows our technocratic approach and care for future Soviet generations.

Komsomol is a youth organization. It was always headed by a guy under 50. Marchuk is over 60.
That was true, but the times have changed and for now Marchuk will be in charge as technocrats are spreading the cult of science among young Soviet population.

Molotov misled Stalin and the central committee to negotiate deals with the Nazis in secret, and Beria's debauched mind over-applied any policing on the Estonian and other Baltic peoples to an extreme beyond what Stalin could have known. It won't settle the issue totally, but by showing some self-criticism of Stalin's actions, while pushing the worst excesses on patsies, it will at least buy us a fig leaf of respectability in international circles. It will hopefully also calm the majority of Estonians by showing our intent to investigate the matter. We should also put pressure o
I will most definitely use this idea in next chapter.

The investigation is ongoing, I will reveal the leaker in 1990.

Honestly Baltics are tempting me to call in the troops. If this trend continues we may need to rethink our national policies and reroll the reforms in some republics. If people are willing to take our national reforms for granted then they don't deserve them.

Rewards should be given to those that behave, not to the troublemakers. Anyway im firmly opposed to any form of concession.

The problem i have with this is that it doesn't deal with the problem in its core, which is balant and rampant secessionism. Yes we can acknowledge some mistakes but at the core of it we don't need to buy time, we need to decisively deal with this notion. At this point i support you as suitable answer to Baltic annexation indeed needs to be reached, but besides this i would like to propose that it's finally time we rewrite our Constitution and remove the right of our republics to secede. This would acknowledge past wrongs, but also strike a point that further talks of secession won't be tolerated.

Otherwise we should do what we did with Ukraine and suppress all nationalists while pointing promotion multiculturalism and Estonian place in the Union. Just acknowledging some guilt and coming with excuses won't solve the problem and will embolden secessionist elements to seek more, we need to give Estonians and Baltics by extension a clear answer about their place in the Union.

Not to mention this is second time Media are making problem. At this point Estonian leadership needs to be purged and replaced with someone more willing to investigate these matters.

Last edited:
1. Eduard Shevardadze has my vote
2. Yes, the Americans are ramping up their space investments and our spending in other areas has cooled down a bit, i see no reason not to pursue this project.
Provide funding to the PFLP and the PLO.
Honestly i cannot see us coming to a satisfactort diplomatic solution here. Ideally we could create a single-state that respects the rights and freedoms of both Jews and Arabs, but neither party will accept the existence of the other on their native soil, Israel especially. For as long as America still supports Israel and for as long as Israeli growth and settlement continues they have little reason to compromise with the arabs. Instead we should try and push back the Israelis and reduce their advantage over the Palestinian people, if we can threaten their position enough perhaps we can bring the subject of a diplomatic solution to the table.
Suppress the demonstrations, increase the presence of special services.

Honestly i view this as more of a law and order problem than a seperatism problem. Yes the demonstrations have a seperatist basis but with the strengthening of our special services we can in future prevent and disrupt such demonstrations before they even begin. This will be especially apparent with the introduction of information technology in the XXI century. I don't think we should remove the clause allowing nations to leave the union as @Kriss said, this would jusf aggravate the minority peoples and push the agenda of the nationalists. We should instead push a new historical narrative as per @Rinasoir. I am strongly against concessions here.

Suppress the demonstrations, increase the presence of special services.

Honestly i view this as more of a law and order problem than a seperatism problem. Yes the demonstrations have a seperatist basis but with the strengthening of our special services we can in future prevent and disrupt such demonstrations before they even begin. This will be especially apparent with the introduction of information technology in the XXI century. I don't think we should remove the clause allowing nations to leave the union as @Kriss said, this would jusf aggravate the minority peoples and push the agenda of the nationalists. We should instead push a new historical narrative as per @Rinasoir. I am strongly against concessions here.

Yea makes sense and honestly it's isolated problem since given 1991 referendum i believe most republics approve of the Union.

So yea, i concede the matter. System works as it is and we just need to push New narrative of unity , Baltics themselves being relative minority that's easily managed. As long as we maintain Communist parties Monopoly on power and democratic centralism referendums of independence won't be a threat.

For the votes? I'll go with @Altlov as it fits with my views.

Last edited:
a) Mikhail Gorbachev (Deputy Premier & Minister of Foreign Affairs/supported by the Reformists)
b) Eduard Shevardadze (First Deputy Premier/supported by Moderates and National Minorities)
c) Boris Shcherbina (Deputy Premier & Minister of Construction of the Oil and Gas Industries/supported by Conservatives)
B) Eduard Shevardnadze

A) Yes, Mir-2 will be a boost to the pursuit of science and a propaganda boon.

3. Please write down how should the USSR react to the ongoing unrest in Palestine?
4. Please write down how should the Soviet government react to the Battle of Cuito Cuanavale?
I vote with @ruffino on both of these.

1. D) Gury Marchuk all the way!
2. A) Our future belongs in the stars!
3. We should come to the table with the USA on this to agree to a solution, and preferably push for a two-state solution on this.
4. I vote with @ruffino with this one

Black Monday
So begins the Japanese Economic Bubble (or whatever it's called)...
--
B) I'm more for Moderates honestly.
A) Yes, the West already plans to launch the IGA as to counter ours, which would pretty much be considered outdated once IGA/Mir-2 launches.

3 and 4. A mix of @Rinasoir and @ruffino plan.
--
I also agree with dealing with the Separatist sentiment at the bud.

B. Shevardnadze. As a Moderate he is acceptable compromise for all factions, and considering problems we have with ethnical minorities right now it will be a nice gesture proving the USSR is home for all nations of our glorious Motherland.
A. We can afford it and we can not allow USA to rule in space uncontested. We could offer some cooperation though, e.g. for rescue operations in space. I mean in case of some disaster the Soviet cosmonauts should be able to help US astronaus and vice-versa.
Appeal for peace to both sides and Two States solution. Promise economic help for Palestinian State with security guarantees for Israel. At the same time keep telling how dangerous Israel is at the time (it might discourage some Jews from leaving) and how condemnable are Israelis actions. Be careful to avoid anti-semitism though; at least too open.
Our side won. That is the official position and there can not be any doubts about it. We can admit to significant losses among our Angolan/Cuban comrades; the Soviet people should remember that while they are safe and happy, the struggle for world equality and peace is still on. Keep condemning the racist regime in South Africa and its stooges.
The military commanders will surely analyze the battle; we expect they will present their proposals regarding new tactics and increased material help. LEARN from our comrades in Africa (and the Cubans) - they have been fighting there for many years, their imput should be valuable. Tactics which work in Afghanistan or may work in Europe might not be good enough for Africa.* Give them weapons and equipment they so desperately need, but also economical help and show the latter to the world: schools, factories and hospitals we build for the better future of the Angolan people.
*Generally we should have a special study group in the General Staff and/or Academy of the General Staff specialized in guerilla/anti-guerilla tactics and strategies and operations in regions the Soviet Armed Forces usually do NOT operate: jungles, deserts etc. Their job will be to offer support for pro-Soviet governments fighting anti-communist guerillas (like Nicaragua) or pro-Soviet guerilla movements fighting right-wing regimes. Or prepare Soviet operations in distant countries, mostly (but not limited to) with Spetsnaz units.
It is possible that such a group already exists; I honestly do not know.

B) As a moderate and with the support of the national minorities, I think Eduard Shevardadze would be a good choice.
A) Alongside matters of prestige, there is the potential for scientific discovery and advancement of humanity's capacity to become an interplanetary civilisation, as well as while the USA would seek to militarise space, we take the more peaceful and productive path of science.

For both of these I'll add my support for the plans of @Rinasoir and @ruffino.