Continents?

I'm curious to know where other people define the continents, here's a quick mockup of my definition.

Contients.png

As for my own opinion, I think continents are stupid. Some will argue that Europe is its own continent, others will say that it's a subcontinent of Asia, but then, what is Africa? Some argue that the Americas are one continent, others divide them into two. Some people call the Pacific a continent, including Australia, but others think those nations don't belong to a continent at all.

Utterly pointless. The only thing people should be defined by is their nationality.

By that logic New Zealand, Australia, and many other island nations are transcontinental, and Madagascar isn't part of Africa. Also, the Med. islands aren't part of Europe...

The solution to that is just lump in all the islands to whatever landmass they're closest to. Really, continental divide should go by tectonic plates anyways.

North America:
The Mainland from the Arctic to roughly the Panama-Colombia border, Greenland and the Caribbean*.

South America:
South America, Trinidad and the ABC islands and the near-by coastal islands of the South American countries.

Eurasia:
The Eurasian landmass and associated islands, so all of what is traditionally considered Europe and Asia.

Antarctica:
The Antarctic mainland and the islands of the Southern Sea.

Australia/Sahul/Meganesia:
The Commonwealth of Australia (minus the portions that are in Antarctica), the island of New Guinea and its (politically, since they actually match the geography) associated islands, the island of Seram, the island of Timor.

Africa:
The African mainland, Madagascar, Comoros, Sao Tome and Principe, the Canary Islands, Madeira, Cape Verde and Malta.

Aside form those I'm undecided on Zealandia, since it is its own tectonic plate, and New Zealand and several medium sized pieces of it are above the surface of the water.

Now for the US to buy it from Russia (like they offered with Alaska) to seal the deal.

That's..I was going to say an Urban Legend, but honestly the only place I ever see anyone say it is on this site, so not even that, anyways Russia did not offer to sell Kamchatka or any other part of Eurasian Russia, it sold Alaska specifically with no one on either side mentioning anything else.

Oh god, so ill-defined. Not going be geologically, because I'd look at it very differently then.

North America - Mainland and minor outlying islands of the US, Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and Greenland. Normally, I wouldn't consider Central America or the Caribbean part of either South or North America, but if pressed I would throw them here.

South America - Mainland and minor outlying islands of the Americas south of Panama/Colombia border (Darien Gap).

Europe - all of the European peninsula, most islands in the Mediterranean (including Malta and Cyprus), several islands in the north Atlantic (including the Azores and Iceland, but not Madeira or the Canaries), and the entirety of Turkey, Armenia, Georgia, and Azerbaijan. Eastern border gets cut off somewhere in Kazakhstan and Russia.

Africa - west and south of the Sinai peninsula; including most major Atlantic islands from Madeira south, some southern Mediterranean islands, Socotra, the Seychelles, Maritius/Reunion and other minor islands in that area.

Asia - everything on the mainland from (inclusive) Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Turkmenistan north and west that doesn't fall under Europe. Any Indian Ocean islands not already mentioned, the broader definitions of Nusantara, Japan, Papua New Guinea, and possibly the Solomon Islands.

Australia - usually just the continent proper. If I use Oceania instead, throw in the entirety of the Pacific islands not already mentioned, plus Papua New Guinea and the Solomons.

Antarctica - most things south of what I've already mentioned.

I decidedly do not consider the Middle East south of Turkey/Armenia/Azerbaijan/Turkmenistan, east of the Suez, and west of Afghanistan/Pakistan to be a part of Asia (or Europe, for that matter). It's just kind of it's own thing. I wouldn't call it a continent, but it wouldn't fit into my normal interpretation of any continent, either.

Well, continents have some purpose but by their nature their borders will end up pretty arbitrary. The current 7 continent system works pretty well for its purpose.

Despite that though, europe is cleeeeeearly a subcontient. No argument. Just let me have this okay.

Thande

Donor
I remember my teachers telling us there were 7 continents, and adding 'when I was at school there were only 5, it's gone up!'

Europe is a subcontinent that is considered a continent for cultural/historical reasons, in my opinion.

I remember my teachers telling us there were 7 continents, and adding 'when I was at school there were only 5, it's gone up!'

That's why they took a planet off of the solar system, to try and even things up a little.

I was taught 6 plus Antarctica, these days I tend to not like the term at all because it's so arbitrary and confusing as to be more of a hindrance than a help.
That said, I would probably still go with the OP if you put a gun to my head, with maybe some slight tinkering round the edges.

My understanding is that it varies a lot depending upon culture; I've heard as many as 7 and as few as 4.