Around this time that's not actually true, for example, the Kings of Spain and France never saw themselves as lesser than the Emperor, its more a modern need to have the feudal system make sense
FractiousDay, have you got an idea for a title? Just wondering for possible future needs. :extremelyhappy:

Also not long till I'm home to make the next post! Might be up before the end of the day (UK)

Well... Aside the fact in 1490's St. peter was like this...

reconstruction of old basilica of st peter.JPG

So far I think the TL is quite good. Some doubts in some point, like the fact Cesare won't use Chambery as his first court for logistic reasons (can help to keep contact with the French but he needs an Italian capital - Turin or Alessandria (the latter the better aside for the auspicious name is in Monferrato, the true base of his power); also, OTL Cesare became yes Duke of Romagna, but in doing that he was forced to subdue the various Roman families across Latium (Orsini, Colonna) to then march towards Marche and for last Romagna. Here we have TTL a situation where Cesare was away many years, I doubt his older brother Giovanni (assuming to be still alive TTL) would have managed to restore order out of Rome. So Alessandro gave as OTL lands which Cesare had to conquer before rule them.

Also... For paradoxal it may be, attempts of rejuvenation of Roman culture in Italy during renaissance age won't bode well. Why? Because Humanist ideals may take input from classical thoughts, but to going over them. Medieval age is more embued with Roman influence respect to modern age - even in regards of art. To make an example, the fact Brunelleschi took inspiration from the Pantheon to create the dome of S.Maria del Fiore, doesn't mean he did a "roman dome"; or if Michelangelo took inspiration from roman sculptures, the David is not at all a classical like sculpture.

Plus what it was said in 1861, "done the Italians there is to make the Italians", is still valid in 1500. Cesare may have some appeal from intellectuals and literate nobles (and in Italy there were many who didn't have the same studies) but to form and unite Italy, the call to Roman heritage has to be built over an Italian foundation, not viceversa. To the majority of the Italians of the time, Rome is just the city of the Pope. They would have scarce knowledge of a Roman Republic than Empire.

Besides, Napoleon's empire was probably the one who took more inspiration from Roman aspects (and we are 300 years later than Cesare) and yet was something of totally different. Same for Mussolini's propaganda, but why sounded better to the Italians of the 1930's? Because they mostly had the opportunity to go school and knew the basics of ancient Roman history.

In substance, this tirade is to state Cesare has to build better the "neo roman" roots of his reign, it may work in front of a King of France or a Holy Roman Emperor, but less in renaissance, and "roman emancipated" Italy of the time.

Well... Aside the fact in 1490's St. peter was like this...

View attachment 308981

So far I think the TL is quite good. Some doubts in some point, like the fact Cesare won't use Chambery as his first court for logistic reasons (can help to keep contact with the French but he needs an Italian capital - Turin or Alessandria (the latter the better aside for the auspicious name is in Monferrato, the true base of his power); also, OTL Cesare became yes Duke of Romagna, but in doing that he was forced to subdue the various Roman families across Latium (Orsini, Colonna) to then march towards Marche and for last Romagna. Here we have TTL a situation where Cesare was away many years, I doubt his older brother Giovanni (assuming to be still alive TTL) would have managed to restore order out of Rome. So Alessandro gave as OTL lands which Cesare had to conquer before rule them.

Also... For paradoxal it may be, attempts of rejuvenation of Roman culture in Italy during renaissance age won't bode well. Why? Because Humanist ideals may take input from classical thoughts, but to going over them. Medieval age is more embued with Roman influence respect to modern age - even in regards of art. To make an example, the fact Brunelleschi took inspiration from the Pantheon to create the dome of S.Maria del Fiore, doesn't mean he did a "roman dome"; or if Michelangelo took inspiration from roman sculptures, the David is not at all a classical like sculpture.

Plus what it was said in 1861, "done the Italians there is to make the Italians", is still valid in 1500. Cesare may have some appeal from intellectuals and literate nobles (and in Italy there were many who didn't have the same studies) but to form and unite Italy, the call to Roman heritage has to be built over an Italian foundation, not viceversa. To the majority of the Italians of the time, Rome is just the city of the Pope. They would have scarce knowledge of a Roman Republic than Empire.

Besides, Napoleon's empire was probably the one who took more inspiration from Roman aspects (and we are 300 years later than Cesare) and yet was something of totally different. Same for Mussolini's propaganda, but why sounded better to the Italians of the 1930's? Because they mostly had the opportunity to go school and knew the basics of ancient Roman history.

In substance, this tirade is to state Cesare has to build better the "neo roman" roots of his reign, it may work in front of a King of France or a Holy Roman Emperor, but less in renaissance, and "roman emancipated" Italy of the time.

Firstly, well played with the basilica. I'll edit how it's seen in the paragraphs

Secondly, at this time it was still chamberlium only 50 years later did they move it to turin in the duchy of savoy. Plus it gives Louis confidence in his ally and shows a trust between them, Atleast on Cesare's part (remember Cesare's reputation isn't the best due to usurping savoy and conquering land across Italy)

Cesare was a Roman fanatic at heart, and I think the military as well as intellectuals would want the same, as military means more power for them and intellectuals know the power of a roman state. It will probably involve a picture of 'Accept the ideas of Rome or die' and fine we can combine a few renaissance and Italian ideas with the roman ones e.g. Venetian commerce. It's not going to be 100% Trajan 117 AD Rome but a unique mix of a few Italian ideas with this roman resurgence.

Thanks for the post! Many people are probably confused about the idea with Cesare and the roman resurgence.

Last edited:
have you got an idea for a title? Just wondering for possible future needs.
Well there are numerous possibilities. In the short term, 'King of the Italians' is possible, 'King of Italy' might (will) offend various people, most of all the Emperor of the HRE, but there are kings in the HRE (for instance, Bohemia). I believe the Bohemian kingship derives from being the rulers of a separate people from the historical HRE lands, but I don't know for sure. I don't think the Emperor has the time or inclination to get involved in costly wars in Italy while the Ottomans are still lurking about, though he'd presumably try to strengthen the venitians to counterbalance Cesare.

In the further future however, Cesare is married to the last Byzantine, and his son is the grandson of an Emperor, and also a Pope, meaning that the boy derives his legitimacy from the Pope's historical ability to give out titles, eg, crowning Charlemange, and also the Byzantine empire deriving from Rome.

So Cesare himself represents the two acknoledged halves of Rome,
West > Charlemange > Pope > Cesare
East > Byzantines > Palaiologos

You've also already had Cesare invoking Caesar, Constantine and Rome, and you've emphasised the might makes right aspect of the time. As such, if Cesare can do it he can just declare himself Emperor of Rome, and just ignore the HRE. Presumably this will lead to war eventually but there have been plenty of times in history where two different people claim to be the same title.

Keep in mind I'm by no means an expert in this, so others who know more will have to check this.

Well there are numerous possibilities. In the short term, 'King of the Italians' is possible, 'King of Italy' might (will) offend various people, most of all the Emperor of the HRE, but there are kings in the HRE (for instance, Bohemia). I believe the Bohemian kingship derives from being the rulers of a separate people from the historical HRE lands, but I don't know for sure. I don't think the Emperor has the time or inclination to get involved in costly wars in Italy while the Ottomans are still lurking about, though he'd presumably try to strengthen the venitians to counterbalance Cesare.

In the further future however, Cesare is married to the last Byzantine, and his son is the grandson of an Emperor, and also a Pope, meaning that the boy derives his legitimacy from the Pope's historical ability to give out titles, eg, crowning Charlemange, and also the Byzantine empire deriving from Rome.

So Cesare himself represents the two acknoledged halves of Rome,
West > Charlemange > Pope > Cesare
East > Byzantines > Palaiologos

You've also already had Cesare invoking Caesar, Constantine and Rome, and you've emphasised the might makes right aspect of the time. As such, if Cesare can do it he can just declare himself Emperor of Rome, and just ignore the HRE. Presumably this will lead to war eventually but there have been plenty of times in history where two different people claim to be the same title.

Keep in mind I'm by no means an expert in this, so others who know more will have to check this.

Well,it needs to be roman if Cesare wishes to be taken seriously in his romanisation. Maybe king of Romans, as there is the idea that there are several and reduces it's overall influence.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Well,it needs to be roman if Cesare wishes to be taken seriously in his romanisation. Maybe king of Romans, as there is the idea that there are several and reduces it's overall influence.
True, but lots of people will point out that Roman Kings were never well regarded. See the Tarquinnii and so on.

When/if Cesare unites Italia he can start claiming whatever he likes, he'll be in possession of a powerful, populous and well developed nation. Calling himself 'Emperor of the Romans' is ridiculous if he doesn't have an Empire, for instance at least the Senatorial provinces like Africa, Syria etc

A lot of stuff in this period is whether you can enforce your titles. Legitimacy and influence are irrelevant if everyone ignores you.

Lastly, I'd point out that the specifics of the title are both essential, and useless. The Emperor of the HRE has a pretty shaky title, given he doesn't control much roman stuff. One way historically of insulting the Emperor was calling him 'Imperator Germanorum', Emperor of the Germans, as this was the actual people he was ruler over. Rome meanwhile casts an incredible shadow over European civilisation, especially Italy. This means that Cesare's title (whatever it may be) is contingent on what he controls, and what he wants to control in the future.

True, but lots of people will point out that Roman Kings were never well regarded. See the Tarquinnii and so on.

When/if Cesare unites Italia he can start claiming whatever he likes, he'll be in possession of a powerful, populous and well developed nation. Calling himself 'Emperor of the Romans' is ridiculous if he doesn't have an Empire, for instance at least the Senatorial provinces like Africa, Syria etc

A lot of stuff in this period is whether you can enforce your titles. Legitimacy and influence are irrelevant if everyone ignores you.

Lastly, I'd point out that the specifics of the title are both essential, and useless. The Emperor of the HRE has a pretty shaky title, given he doesn't control much roman stuff. One way historically of insulting the Emperor was calling him 'Imperator Germanorum', Emperor of the Germans, as this was the actual people he was ruler over. Rome meanwhile casts an incredible shadow over European civilisation, especially Italy. This means that Cesare's title (whatever it may be) is contingent on what he controls, and what he wants to control in the future.

So title stuff should be based around what he controls in the end. And from now on I will call the HRE Emperor Imperator Germanorum. Just to laugh in his face. XD P.S. I'M BACK HOME NOW! I CAN DO TIMELINE THINGS!

So title stuff should be based around what he controls in the end.
TLDR, feudal society was complicated and rules for particular things depended on a variety of factors. You can do quite a lot, but you might want to do some research, for instance, on the official titles and styles of various kings.

Apparently Maximillian I is E of the HRE a this time, and wikipedia has him styling himself as

'Maximilian I, by the grace of God elected Holy Roman Emperor, forever August, King of Germany, of Hungary, Dalmatia, Croatia, etc. Archduke of Austria, Duke of Burgundy, Brabant, Lorraine, Styria, Carinthia, Carniola, Limburg, Luxembourg, Gelderland, Landgrave of Alsace, Prince of Swabia, Count Palatine of Burgundy, Princely Count of Habsburg, Hainaut, Flanders, Tyrol, Gorizia, Artois, Holland, Seeland, Ferrette, Kyburg, Namur, Zutphen, Margrave of the Holy Roman Empire, the Enns, Burgau, Lord of Frisia, the Wendish March, Pordenone, Salins, Mechelen, etc. etc.'

Lots of those titles have him as a non-Roman Empire lord, for instance Gelderland isn't a noted Imperial province, but his first style is Holy Roman Emperor, 'forever August', that is, he assumes the title of Augustus.

And from now on I will call the HRE Emperor Imperator Germanorum. Just to laugh in his face.

Doing a bit more reading about him Maximillian called himself 'King of the Germans' and also 'Electus Romanorum Imperator' ("elected Emperor of the Romans"). So 'Imperator Germanorum' is an insult because it intentionally confuses his titles

Again though, I'm not an expert

TLDR, feudal society was complicated and rules for particular things depended on a variety of factors. You can do quite a lot, but you might want to do some research, for instance, on the official titles and styles of various kings.

Apparently Maximillian I is E of the HRE a this time, and wikipedia has him styling himself as

'Maximilian I, by the grace of God elected Holy Roman Emperor, forever August, King of Germany, of Hungary, Dalmatia, Croatia, etc. Archduke of Austria, Duke of Burgundy, Brabant, Lorraine, Styria, Carinthia, Carniola, Limburg, Luxembourg, Gelderland, Landgrave of Alsace, Prince of Swabia, Count Palatine of Burgundy, Princely Count of Habsburg, Hainaut, Flanders, Tyrol, Gorizia, Artois, Holland, Seeland, Ferrette, Kyburg, Namur, Zutphen, Margrave of the Holy Roman Empire, the Enns, Burgau, Lord of Frisia, the Wendish March, Pordenone, Salins, Mechelen, etc. etc.'

Lots of those titles have him as a non-Roman Empire lord, for instance Gelderland isn't a noted Imperial province, but his first style is Holy Roman Emperor, 'forever August', that is, he assumes the title of Augustus.

Doing a bit more reading about him Maximillian called himself 'King of the Germans' and also 'Electus Romanorum Imperator' ("elected Emperor of the Romans"). So 'Imperator Germanorum' is an insult because it intentionally confuses his titles

Again though, I'm not an expert

Me: 'Bro, didn't realize the Germans had the Alaric dynasty in charge'
Maximillian: 'YOU SAYETH WHAT?'

Idfk I'm bored ;)

Last edited:
Cesare Borgia: A Restored Rome Timeline

Cesare Borgia Part 5: Re-organisation and Solidifying part 2

‘The people of Romagna have lost their namesake, for they squander in the germanic customs of their former Ostrogoth oppressors, while they neglect the mother city, the eternal city. However, they must learn to follow the banner and speak the tongue of history if I am to thrive in this time.’ Cesare Borgia, 1500, talking about the citizens of Bologna.

Cesare goes back to Pisa, in which Cesare and Louis XII bid each other farewell at Pisa, with the majority of the purple company travelling with Louis XII to conquer Naples. Cesare would take a small number of heavy cavalry with him to inspect the Romagnan territories he had acquired, their value, their allies… and their enemies. Cesare knew he had plenty of enemies, waiting for their time to strike, for while it looked like he had the largest territorial extent of Italia, he knew it was full of rich lords eager for independence. All they needed was a sponsor...

Visiting and greeting the local people with his armed guard, some called him a hero, the ‘restorer of italian greatness’. Some called him a warmonger, who ‘destroyed the land and earnings of the people he cared for so much’. Of course, the second variety were few and far between, due to the cavalry behind Cesare, but he waved them off before an incident occurred. He himself said ‘The people of Romagna have lost their namesake, for they squander in the germanic customs of their former Ostrogoth oppressors, while they neglect the mother city, the eternal city. However, they must learn to follow the banner and speak the tongue of history if I am to thrive in this time.’ He resided in the regional palace of Palazzo d’Accursio, with his armoured guards patrolling the building, and in the dead of night, the 3rd of April, 1500, he receives a letter from Louis XII

‘Cesare, I wish to inform you that we have crushed our vile enemies, the Kingdom of Naples, and have divided the region from the towns of Salerno to Foggia. I of course got the better land and cities in this pact. I am appointing Louis d’Armagnac, my loyal general, to the post of viceroy of the new province. May God smile upon you, my noble ally.’

Cesare rubbed his eyes, a candle at his side to read the letter. He was unsure of the predicament in southern Italy, for this land went to a possible rival and also his esteemed ally. He didn’t expect this independant kingdom to fall so quickly to the two temporary allies, but he acquiest.

He stood next to the window, contemplated the fate of Italy. He sensed a conspiracy within his territories. There were many nobles of the house of Savoy and still more dukes within his Papal territories. It was only a matter of time…

He heard a creak, and immediately turned around, his sword drawn. But there was no person, just the door swaying back and forth, blowing in the wind. He must not have enough sleep. His enemies were getting to him.

Cesare walked back to bed, placing his sword next to it, and closed his eyes, dreaming of glory.

4NJGMRh.jpg

French and Spanish troops occupying Naples.

BQ6U0pP.png

Map of the division of the Kingdom of Naples

Hope everyone enjoyed! This one was one of the fastest pieces of a project I've ever written, I started this around 9pm and its finished by 10:40pm. Tell me what you liked!

-Josh

Last edited:
Not spoiling anything, but chaos is coming to Italy. The Italian wars are nothing compared to what's going to happen ;). Post something in a few hours (meaning 4ish)

Cesare's position, while seeming strong, is in a perilous state, with increasing fear of revolution and revolt, tense relations between France and Spain, increasing conflict and revolt within the Holy Roman Empire, it's all soon going to go down.

Also, as a question, can I ask what people think is the best part of this timeline?

Last edited:

Act 1 Cesare Borgia Part 6: The Descent into Chaos

‘I sense my bid on the world stage is waning, my generals and brothers in arms, but if I am to gain glory I shall risk being a mere footnote in the ceaseless march of history’ Cesare Borgia, 1504, hearing of the revolts of Savoy and Ancona.

After the rather lackluster conquest of Naples by the allied French and Spanish armies, the French viceroy increasingly tried to take more and more control of the peninsula and, after many incidents by Louis d’Armagnac, the French and Spanish were at war. Louis d’Armagnac attempted to take Calabria, but in the end after the battles of Cerignola, the French were forced out of southern Italy entirely before July 1503, utterly crushed by the Spanish viceroy General Gonzalo Fernández de Córdoba.

Frederick himself, along with his family, was originally planned to go to a French prison, however Louis XII decided instead to put them in the prison in Rome, under Papal guardians. Cesare went to visit him. His plan continued to form…

Cesare stood in the nearby hallway, waiting to see Frederick, the deposed king. He walked into the prison, the Swiss guard on high alert around him. He reached the cell of Frederick.

‘Guards, he’s no harm, leave us be. You’re dismissed for the night.’ The guards lowered their pole-arms and swords, marching out of the room, closing the door, leaving them alone. ‘Cesare Borgia-Palaiologos, Duke of Savoy and Prince of Romagna and Ancona, pleased to meet you, King Frederick of Naples.’ He stretched out his hand in a gesture of greeting.

Frederick looked over, his tired face glowing in the torch light. He walked up slowly, and slowly shook his hand. ‘Pleased to meet you Cesare, but drop the formalities Cesare, I’m no king anymore. Would a king live in this cell?’

Cesare smiled and responded ‘A king at all is forever a king, men hold their titles, no matter the circumstances’

Frederick snickered, ‘Same with your counts in Savoy?’

Cesare glanced at the floor 'Possibly'

Frederick looked over and said 'You know you are an incredibly polarizing figure Cesare, either a backstabbing warmonger, or a swooning, conquering legend'

Cesare pinched the space between his eyebrows and massaged it 'Yes I am well aware of my... interesting reputation, but that is not why I have arrived here.'

Frederick grimaced 'Then what have you come here for, ally of Louis'.

Cesare shuffled restlessly ‘I have a deal for you Frederick, and in this deal we can both become great men, with you returning’.

‘Wait, you mean out of this cell? I’m listening Cesare’.

Cesare grinned ‘The plan is, that you give me the claim to the Kingdom of Naples, and in exchange I give you money, a small army and your own ducal duchy within Naples, say Calabria or Apulia.’

Frederick’s eyes lit up. ‘With me leaving with cell? You could get me out?’.

Cesare nodded. ‘My father is the representative of God on Earth, there is little he cannot do. This way Louis and Ferdinand can never claim your throne, and you can live out the rest of your lives in wealth and peace. I offer these terms to you, King Frederick of Naples’

Silence. After several minutes of walking back and forward, Frederick agreed, stating ‘Being a duke of Apulia is more magnanimous than emperor of a prison cell’.

The next day, the guards weren’t on shift for Fredericks prison, and he disappeared that night.

Frederick, later that week, publicly announced that he renounced his claim to the Kingdom of Naples, and instead gave this title to Cesare Borgia-Palaiologos, with shock, awe, cheering and booing.

Cesare set off on campaign at the beginning of that year, to take what is now rightfully his, with Frederick at his side. However, by the time he was besieging Naples, he received dire knowledge from the north.

‘Cesare! Cesare! A letter has appeared from Blanche of Palaiologos, with dreadful news!

‘Speak! What is this dire threat?’

Cesare could guess, but he wished for it not to be, he stood up before the messenger read:

‘The counts and nobles of Savoy and Ancona have risen up, under their new patron, her more Serene Republic’

Cesare slammed his fist into the table ‘VENICE? Of all of Italy, it had to be Venice! I will shove that doge’s rounded tip hat somewhere where God’s light doesn’t shine.’

Cesare paced in the war tent, saying in a angry flurry of Italian 'I sense my bid on the world stage is waning, my generals and brothers in arms, but if I am to gain glory I shall risk being a mere footnote in the ceaseless march of history’.

He turned around to face his generals, his face stern, fists clenched, knowing the chaos that was to come. He prepared for war.

6MVvif9.jpg

The French being utterly crushed at Cerignola and forced to retreat out of southern Italy, 1503.

WU8LiKr.jpg

The prisons in the Castel sant'angelo.

2PxnGKB.png

Rebellious areas in dark blue-grey, with Cesare beginning to siege Naples in February 1504. As you can see, its mostly southern Savoy and Ancona, with northern savoy, Nice and Romagna remaining loyal.

Hope everyone enjoyed! Any questions/Comments would be greatly appreciated. Sorry it was far later than expected :frown: there was a lot to put in.

-Josh

Last edited:
Do I just suck at choosing the time to upload? Is that it? The past few installments haven't got nearly the amount of attention as the first two. What's going on? :frown:

I have the same issue really. This is a period that I'm not very familiar with, so my posts wouldn't be all that interesting I fear.

That's completely fair! I don't want to yell at people to say things, however if people'd rather not say something here in case of looking wrong on the timeline I'd happily talk in a conversation.

Last edited: