What if The Netherlands joined the Central Powers? Let’s assume a naval incident or something else, and as a result, The Netherlands join the Central Powers.

Let’s say that in this TL Germany plays their ‘old strategy’ so focuses on Russia first, but Britain still join the war. Last but not least, the Central Powers will win the war in 1916/1917.

What will The Netherlands get as a result

Really? Would they be interested in this and if, what would they get in Africa?

Something small and, unless the High Seas Fleet has somehow managed to crush the Royal Navy, something French I assume. Given that the Germans have their mind set on Central Africa, it won't be there. Ivory Coast is something the Germans could afford to give I guess.

Something small and, unless the High Seas Fleet has somehow managed to crush the Royal Navy, something French I assume. Given that the Germans have their mind set on Central Africa, it won't be there. Ivory Coast is something the Germans could afford to give I guess.
Off course they could, but still: would the Dutch want this?

If Japan seizes the DEI can anyone even compel Japan to return them if the CP win late?
Does japan have the capacity at this point to? Hell, depending on when the Netherlands join up japan might not sign up for the war ttl and forge a parallel adventure in China like ww2 if they act at all.

Something small and, unless the High Seas Fleet has somehow managed to crush the Royal Navy, something French I assume.
Could the Dutch tip the scales at not-jutland? They still had a decent navy at this point right?
Given that the Germans have their mind set on Central Africa, it won't be there. Ivory Coast is something the Germans could afford to give I guess.
Perhaps Madagascar? Bit big unless they make massive contributions in the naval war but would definitely neuter france and serve as good compensation if they do lose the dei

The only way I see this happening is if there is a direct attack on the Netherlands by one of the Entente. Although I could imagine in a world where the Dutch East Indies had been seized by Britain or France somehow, that the Dutch would be happy to throw in their lot with the Germans.

If Japan seizes the DEI can anyone even compel Japan to return them if the CP win late?
I think it's more likely that Britain/NZ/Australia seize the DEI.
The only way I see this happening is if there is a direct attack on the Netherlands by one of the Entente. Although I could imagine in a world where the Dutch East Indies had been seized by Britain or France somehow, that the Dutch would be happy to throw in their lot with the Germans.
Britain did blockade the Netherlands and Denmark because goods unloaded in Dutch and Danish ports could travel overland to Germany.

Britain did blockade the Netherlands and Denmark because goods unloaded in Dutch and Danish ports could travel overland to Germany.

That's why I said a direct attack, the Dutch endured a lot to remain neutral. A blockade is an act of war, legally speaking, if you choose to treat it as such. Denmark and the Netherlands chose to not do so, wisely.

It would take a lot more to cause them to drop neutrality.

CP Netherlands seems bit unlikely if then Entente is not stupid enough and outright violates Dutch neutrality. Probably sinking of couple Dutch ships is not enough.

If NL is drawn to the war, Brits seize Dutch colonies quickly. I don't know if this helps CPs win the war.

And IMo losing war in the east and winning in the west seems bit unlikely. Russians hardly had much of chancees to pull victory when France loses the war. Either it is victory on the East or victory on everywhere and stalemate with Britain.

Well, the DEI will be seized by the UK, NOT Imperial Japan. The Japanese were not really active during this conflict.
Most likely the British would be invited by the DEI governor, in order to safe Dutch interest, more or less as during the Napoleonic wars.
I clearly can not see why the Dutch will side with the Central Powers or any belligerents. The conflict of interest is too large and there none to little gains.
Oh, and the Dutch were not interested in Belgium or a part of it, or some colonial left overs in some under developed part of Africa, which in many cases was a money pit whit almost no returns.
Further I do not see the Dutch tip the balance of power. Their navy consist of small armored cruisers and small slow coastal defense ships.
Their army was well up to date for 1914 standards, but trained for defense not offense. The lack of heavy artillery can addressed by German subsidies, the purchase of this heavy artillery was planned any way.
The atrocities witnessed by Dutch in Belgium tipped very fast the attitude of the Dutch population against Germany.
One million Belgians fled to the Netherlands OTL

Last edited:
I clearly can not see why the Dutch will side with the Central Powers or any belligerents. The conflict of interest is too large and there none to little gains.
Actualy there were plenty Dutch people who wanted to join Germany, including important politicians. Luckily Wilhelmina was completely against it. And I believe a majority of the politians. A good things, since it can't end well for the Netherlands. That said, it is possible for the entente to do something that forces the Netherlands to declare war. Things like actualy attacking Dutch ships, or invading the Netherlands (Britain had actualy made plans to do just that, but decided against it). It would just mean the exact same result. Germany loses, but in this case it would take the Netherlands with it, with the Netherlands losing all colonies, Limburg, Zeelandic Flanders and maybe even North Brabant and ending up as a republic.

Churchill was pretty keen on seizing some of the Dutch islands as bases for destroyers in a closer blockade of Germany. He persisted in his enthusiasm in spite of every naval man (and presumably anyone involved in foreign policy, if any of them heard it) strongly advising against it. Mostly on the basis of it giving very little value to the British for the cost of bringing the Netherlands into the war.

But, if you are looking for a POD, I suppose Churchill being Churchill, this could get you there.

So IF Central Powers win, The Netherlands won’t get colonies?
If the central powers win, the Netherlands is lucky if they get their colonies back. Boots on the ground would be very important to make a deal and there won't be any central boots on the ground of any entente colony. And since Britain will probably mostly undefeated (even with the Netherlands, the central powers would not be able to invade Britain) I don't think there is much for the Netherlands to gain l. Simply put Britain is not handing over any of their colonies, unless there are Dutch troops in London (which obviously won't happen).

Basicly what the Netherlands want would be an enlargement of their present colonies, which are Suriname, the Dutch Antilles and especialy the Dutch East Indies. So that would mean British and French Guyana, the French part of St Martin, maybe some other French carribean island, but mainly British Malaysia, both Borneo and continental. None of those will the Dutch, or any of the central powers, be able to occupy. Without Britain being defeated, they will not hand over any colonies, especialy unoccupied colonies. So only thing left is the French colonies and in those cases the USA might object vehemently. They don't like it when colonial powers (that aren't the USA) exchange colonies in the Americas.