Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

I would think if the economy did recover wouldn’t New Deal economics be seen as more popular than ever, for being seen as the policies that fixed the economy. Right?

Deleted member 146578

I think a quick note/retcon might be in order here... I don't intend for Biden to be seen as an "Arch-Conservative" ITTL, he's simply a more moderate Democrat, especially when compared to President Udall. TTL's Senator Biden is simply an ambitious moderate who thinks that he might be able to grow his reputation within the party by challenging its more left-ward wing. In this regard he is likely to be joined by such contemporaries as Senator Carter of Georgia, and Senator Gary Hart of Colorado. I would not qualify either of them as "conservative", either, just more moderate than Udall. As for Senators Eastland and Stennis, I think by 1978 both men are well into their 70's and don't intend to rock the DNC boat too much. They, I would argue, are working against the President's legislation in the Senate Chamber, rather than speaking out against it as Biden and Carter have been doing. While more Conservative Democrats are still somewhat numerous, many of them have more populist economic beliefs. While the President is socially progressive, his action in office has not been, I would say, overtly offensive to them (mostly his rhetoric). So long as economics are working, they'll keep trying to undermine him on social issues. While it is quite possible that no Democrat will challenge Udall in '80 (seeing in '72 and '76 that such efforts did not go especially well on the Republican side), expect Biden, Hart, Carter, and their more neo-liberal allies to gain popularity, especially as the economy continues to improve. It's hard to keep selling New Deal-esque policy once people get back to work... Even FDR would eventually try to balance the budget, after all.

Yes! Agent Hill remained in the Service for several more years following the attempt on President Kennedy's life. He retired in 1975, after also serving Presidents Romney and Bush.
Would he still live with a sense of guilt for not saving President Romney’s life just like how he regretted for not saving JFK’s life IOTL?

ITTL, Onassis married his longtime mistress, the famed Opera soprano Maria Callas in 1968. They would remain married until his passing in 1975, at the age of 69.

I'm glad to see that the Native Americans are given more autonomy and care here, maybe these improvements may prompt some to run for office as senators or members of congress... One positive side effect for Udall's more progressive stance on abortion is that it may ensure that he will garner more votes from women than a conservative Democrat could, but then again if a Republican takes a stance opposing it they may get the votes of Religious Conservatives .. I'll be interested to see what happens with the Iranian Revolution here, and if the Shah may retain power by scaling back his powers to that of a constitutional monarch. Excellent update!

Question. How is the Afghanistan invasion going to play out? The Mujahadeen uprising played a major role in the Soviet Union’s fall but the collapse of oil was another one.

Also what is Saddam up to?

Started reading this and loving this so far :D
Love how Bush Jr ended up dating Hilary and befriended his future OTL! counterpart´s rival XD
Also love how Kennedy kind of saved MLK or how Romney and Bobby ended Hoover´s reign of terror. Same with the Space Race team up.
Kind of curious how MLK and Bernie Sanders friendship goes, I like this teamup, or to see Obama and Biden at some point in this timeline
Sad for Romney Sr.´s fate, specially considering his friendship with Bush Sr., also feel kind of sorry for Bobby Kennedy since he couldnt do anything about preventing PRO-abortion laws.
Currently in the chapter where Nixon and Kissinger asked to resign thier positions by Bush Sr. Im...Not sure if Gallante was loved by many chileans, I heard he was HIGHLY controversial, currently asking a friend from Chile bout it.
Anyways, keep up with the good job :D

PD: Was wrong, apparnetly you were right, he was highly praised

Last edited:
I hope not, that is a very tired cliche now
Is it? There's that one famous timeline on here where Rummy was written like a comic book villain to make a point about how shitty neo-conservatism could be if taken to its extreme, but I don't know of any that treat him and his presidency realistically.
Nixon/Rumsfeld 1980.

Clearly a bad idea, but its like a trainwreck you cannot get away from

Are there any timelines with Nixon running for POTUS in 1980?

THis is a TL that has to me made sometime.

The problem is though whether he still runs and loses in 1968, therefore he would be far more bitter and twisted and paranoid than before.

Frankly a Nixon that maybe loses in 60, but wins California and somehow stays out of politics for a while and reforms himself to run in 1980.

Hell, there was a suggestion sometime in another thread that because Reagan became a politician then Nixon should become an actor. :p