Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

Probably an after effect of the Democratic Party being more to the left ITTL than IOTL, I guess? I mean IOTL there's only been one Democrat non-Southerner to become President after Kennedy in Obama.
Thing is, if you look at his Senate career, other than a few things here and there, he was actually one of the more liberal senators in Congress during his political career.

There’s actually a really good article about it from the Washington Post on his political career and whether or not he was a liberal senator, and the short answer he was arguably one of the more liberal senators through his entire career.

So even if the party moves more left than OTL, I’m not entirely sure Biden should really be considered a conservative. Maybe a left leaning moderate, who’s considered more center than OTL, but not conservative. Or at least not a conservative by our timelines standards, so perhaps it’s more a question of what exactly constitutes a Democratic conservative ITTL?

Last edited:
Welcome back Mr President! We missed you. Great to see President Udall fight for Native Americans. Very noble. Also I liked the addition of the "Rainy Day Fund". Damn Biden really is pushing the limits isn't he? I definitely see him pulling a Ted Kennedy and challenging Udall in 1980.

Damn Biden really is pushing the limits isn't he? I definitely see him pulling a Ted Kennedy and challenging Udall in 1980.
It wouldn't surprise me either. ITTL Biden is certainly much more ambitious than his OTL counterpart, which is perhaps unsurprising since he doesn't have the tragic death of his first wife to temper him a bit like in OTL.

I have a question, but is ITTL Biden a conservative Democrat instead of a center-left leaning liberal Democrat like he is/was in OTL? I don’t think I’ve ever found that entirely clear, no offense.

Anyways, a great update Mr. President. Actually, as you’ll find in the PM I just sent you @President_Lincoln, it unintentionally ties/adds into my future Disney write-up.

Thank you, Nerdman! I will check out and respond to your message first thing in the morning! :) To answer your question here about Biden being considered "Conservative", I think you bring up a really good argument. Speaking broadly (and doing all I can to avoid current politics, of course) Biden possesses most of the same beliefs he does IOTL, which I think ITTL would most likely get him classified as more of a "Moderate" as you say. I think even in TTL's parlance, Biden is more likely to be labeled a "Liberal" than a "Progressive" as President Udall is. I'm addition to a more ambitious Senator Biden here, also expect both parties to remain fairly "big tent" for the foreseeable future as Udall's policies have helped New Deal style politics remain in Vogue on the left and the Romney/Bush years have left behind a legacy of pronounced moderation on the right.

. I'm addition to a more ambitious Senator Biden here, also expect both parties to remain fairly "big tent" for the foreseeable future as Udall's policies have helped New Deal style politics remain in Vogue on the left and the Romney/Bush years have left behind a legacy of pronounced moderation on the right.
And, of course, no Southern Strategy if I'm not mistaken.

Good to see Mo fighting the good fight. Few observations though

1.) Though there were charlatans who exploited native american culture to try and spread an agenda (pretending to have native american heritage, spreading new age beliefs). In addition this was around the time Education of Little Tree came out; turns out it wasn't autobiographical but fiction and the writer was Asa Carter (the guy who wrote the "segregation now segregation forever" line). Granted the book may have had SOME redeeming qualities (it touched on the schools that dehumanized natives for instance); there was a NYTimes article at the time but it only really got widespread attention in 91. I'd like to think Mo saw the NYTimes article and merely kept neutral when asked about it.

2.) Iran's still coming down the pike and it could make or break Udall's career. And 1980 is a critical year to be honest. Potter Stewart retired in 1981 and Sandra Day O'Connor (a conservative but a moderate one) was appointed.

The perils of a big-tent political party. I like a world where "liberal Republican" and "conservative Democrat" are more than just slurs thrown by the base of each party to members who aren't 100% in lockstep.

Biden's always had both an interest and experience dealing with foreign policy (the guy was chair of the Senate Foreign Relations committee three times OTL) so it makes sense that he'd make his stand on a foreign policy initiative.

Excellent update and welcome back!

I see imperfections everywhere in my own work
I know that feeling all-too-well, it's the reason my own TL is listed as "in development hell".
And I've had some input on things that made me realize just how flawed my first draft was (when I thought it was almost ready) that prompted a total re-write.
For what it's worth, I never saw anything in this that really struck me as needing revision; but on the other hand I know the drive to make it "absolutely perfect" myself.