Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

Also, the party's abbreviation was CPUSA for a while, so this is a great day for me
Oh my god! I never realized that! x'D The irony of Wallace and Falwell originally having their party with the same abbreviation as the Communist American Party is just too ironic.

Though now it's ACP, so I guess they have the same abbreviation as the American College of Physicians.

Last edited:
Fantastic update! Great to hear some news on the Space Race.

Sad to see the Apollo-Svarog I suffer the same fate as the Apollo I incident. However, I am curious to see what changes will be made for NASA after this shocking incident. Will the way we go to space be changed? Will there be other techniques utilized?

Also interested the CPUSA make a ripple in American politics. I hope to see the political fallout.

Fantastic update! Great to hear some news on the Space Race.

Sad to see the Apollo-Svarog I suffer the same fate as the Apollo I incident. However, I am curious to see what changes will be made for NASA after this shocking incident. Will the way we go to space be changed? Will there be other techniques utilized?

Also interested the CPUSA make a ripple in American politics. I hope to see the political fallout.

Thanks a lot, as always ImperialTheorist! :D Don't worry, I'll definitely be following up.

Good update; liked seeing the Space Race. RIP to the astronauts (and cosmonauts) involved. Just thinking that Armstrong's first beating and then bonding with his Soviet counterpart sounds like something he might do...

With Aldrin, you're safe; just don't say the moon landing is fake. Or look like you're bothering his granddaughter...:D

BTW, Light My Fire was a song sung by the Doors and recorded in August of 1966, but released in April of 1967, so the title theme continues...

Super update! The title is a little ironic considering the event that made up the bulk of this chapter. Too bad that the tragedy couldn't be avoided.

One other "minor" nitpick was that the last photo showing JFK had the MSNBC logo in the lower right corner. Unless I missed it, I don't think that news channel existed during this point IOTL. But ITTL.... who knows.

As for my 2 cents on Jerry Falwell.... I agree that he wasn't bombastic, but he was bigoted and what I said about him teaming with Wallace and forming a third party still stands. I can only imagine what sort of party platform they'll put together. And while some will embrace it, hopefully a majority of Americans will reject it and the ACP.

Super update! The title is a little ironic considering the event that made up the bulk of this chapter. Too bad that the tragedy couldn't be avoided.

One other "minor" nitpick was that the last photo showing JFK had the MSNBC logo in the lower right corner. Unless I missed it, I don't think that news channel existed during this point IOTL. But ITTL.... who knows.

As for my 2 cents on Jerry Falwell.... I agree that he wasn't bombastic, but he was bigoted and what I said about him teaming with Wallace and forming a third party still stands. I can only imagine what sort of party platform they'll put together. And while some will embrace it, hopefully a majority of Americans will reject it and the ACP.

Thank you, as always Sith Lord! :D You got me on the MSNBC logo. :p Poor image choice on my part.

I hope so too, with regard to the ACP and Falwell/Wallace. The American people could very well see a more progressive nation earlier than IOTL, with No Vietnam and "New Left" for the right to bash against. That being said, only time will tell.

Good update; liked seeing the Space Race. RIP to the astronauts (and cosmonauts) involved. Just thinking that Armstrong's first beating and then bonding with his Soviet counterpart sounds like something he might do...

With Aldrin, you're safe; just don't say the moon landing is fake. Or look like you're bothering his granddaughter...:D

BTW, Light My Fire was a song sung by the Doors and recorded in August of 1966, but released in April of 1967, so the title theme continues...

Thanks Unknown! :) Glad I can keep up the streak and capture what the Astronauts/Cosmonauts might have been like to work with. I admit that my knowledge and research are fairly limited, so I appreciate all of the feedback and criticism I can get.

BP Booker

Banned
At 6:31 CST a momentary increase in AC Bus 2 voltage occurred. Nine seconds later, both Grissom and Popovich exclaimed “Hey! Fire!” over their microphones and the sounds of hurried, frantic motion were being picked up by mission control. Due to the nature of the air in the cabin, made exclusively of oxygen, the fire grew rapidly into a conflagration which consumed the entire interior of the module. Ironically, the hatch that was meant to serve as a shield from the heat wound up serving as the door to a giant oven, cooking the explorers with nary a way out, as the inner latch to release the hatch grew stuck in the heat.

Workers on the ground rushed to release the module and rescue the astronauts and cosmonauts, but were held back when fears mounted that the fire could spread to nearby stores of rocket fuel and ignite into a massive fireball, which would likely kill all of the ground workers as well. When the likelihood of this proved nill, and the screams of the men inside had long since faded into tragic silence, the workers were finally permitted to approach the module and remove the bodies, which had been melted into the nylon of their seats by the intensity of the heat. All four were killed within minutes of the fire breaking out, though the fatalities must have been anything but painless.

God, what a horrifying recording that must have been. And someone at HQ must have had to listen to all of it

Also, after that little outburst, I think its pretty certain Neil Armstrong wont be the first man to set foot on the moon (Lets not even think about the nightmare that negotiting wether that man will be Russian or American will be)

Last edited:
Also, after that little outburst, I think its pretty certain Neil Armstrong wont be the first man to set foot on the moon (Lets not even think about the nightmare that negotiating whether that man will be Russian or American will be)
Not necessarily, at least on the part of Armstrong being the first American on the moon. It's mentioned that he eventually got along and even outright befriended Leonov, so I could see Armstrong getting off with only a light warning and still being the first American. As for the whole First on the Moon situation, one compromise I can see being suggested is having Neil Armstrong go on the moon first, but having Valentina Tereshkova go after him, making Armstrong, an American, the first man on the moon, and Valentina, a Soviet, the first woman on the moon.

That said, I'm curious if we might eventually get some United Nations equivalent of NASA out of this whole American/Soviet Space Alliance.

Not necessarily, at least on the part of Armstrong being the first American on the moon. It's mentioned that he eventually got along and even outright befriended Leonov, so I could see Armstrong getting off with only a light warning and still being the first American. As for the whole First on the Moon situation, one compromise I can see being suggested is having Neil Armstrong go on the moon first, but having Valentina Tereshkova go after him, making Armstrong, an American, the first man on the moon, and Valentina, a Soviet, the first woman on the moon.

That said, I'm curious if we might eventually get some United Nations equivalent of NASA out of this whole American/Soviet Space Alliance.

Definitely interesting thoughts, Nerdman! :)

What they could do is have the American and the Soviet touching the ground simultaneously.

I suggested just two seperate hatches to descend at roughly the same time. That way, both countries claim they were first.