Blue Skies in Camelot: An Alternate 60's and Beyond

You know how some heroes have a friend that shanks their enemies behind their back?

That's who Dick Cheney reminds me of. Hard to say who I was rooting for in that exchange between him and Reagan, too.

That's what makes this TL so good - in between the history moments you get nice character writing that doesn't make historical people too OOC.

Oh and the invasion of Afghanistan won't bit everyone in the arse, no siree...

Yes Andropov and Cheney certainly do make good villians at this stage of Blue Skies. What's Rumsfeld Cheney's partner in crime doing?

Shoot! I'm sorry, I meant to answer this. :( Rumsfeld is currently serving as the Junior U.S. Senator from Illinois (where he's been since 1969). He's found himself a seat on the powerful Armed Services Committee and is painting himself as the GOP's leading expert on Military/Foreign Affairs. He's allied himself with fellow neoconservative Scoop Jackson (D - WA) and is a MAJOR rival of President Bush, whim Rumsfeld, as per OTL, is not a fan of.

Is their a chance he defects to the Dems over this?

A good question, but it's unlikely. :p Though President Bush is a moderate on foreign policy, overall Rumsfeld agrees far more with the GOP than the Dems. Interventionism in general is almost entirely a GOP ideology at this point, with a few exceptions, like Rep. John Kerry (D - MA) and Senator Jackson (D - WA). Rumsfeld disliked Bush IOTL, but stuck with the Republicans and even served in his son's cabinet.

Shoot! I'm sorry, I meant to answer this. :( Rumsfeld is currently serving as the Junior U.S. Senator from Illinois (where he's been since 1969). He's found himself a seat on the powerful Armed Services Committee and is painting himself as the GOP's leading expert on Military/Foreign Affairs. He's allied himself with fellow neoconservative Scoop Jackson (D - WA) and is a MAJOR rival of President Bush, whim Rumsfeld, as per OTL, is not a fan of.
Oh that's ok. Are Cheney and Rumsfeld friends as they were in OTL even though in OTL they both served as Chief of Staff and Deputy Chief to Gerald Ford when he became President which has not happened in TTL.

Oh that's ok. Are Cheney and Rumsfeld friends as they were in OTL even though in OTL they both served as Chief of Staff and Deputy Chief to Gerald Ford when he became President which has not happened in TTL.

They still have a strong relationship, despite Rumsfeld's dislike of Cheney's boss ITTL. :) Rumsfeld is also a useful Ally to Cheney when it comes to passing new Defense projects and the like. Though he isn't talking about it openly yet of course, Rumsfeld is starting to be touted by some as a possible future Republican Presidential or Vice Presidential candidate...

They still have a strong relationship, despite Rumsfeld's dislike of Cheney's boss ITTL. :) Rumsfeld is also a useful Ally to Cheney when it comes to passing new Defense projects and the like. Though he isn't talking about it openly yet of course, Rumsfeld is starting to be touted by some as a possible future Republican Presidential or Vice Presidential candidate...
Oh wow Rumsfeld as Vice President that would certainly make the Seventies seesaw especially if he were to become President in the Eighties. It would be like Fear, Loathing and Gumbo on the Campaign Trail '72.

I honestly think we should just leave Rumsfeld out of this TL. I’ve already seen him be in the spotlight of two other TLs, I’d rather not have a third (though I have nothing against the man personally OTL).

I don't like Rumsfeld myself (though that has to do with his conduct with regards to the Iraq War) but I don't actively hate him, unlike others on this board; I hate Cheney, though (my late mother did, too)...

That being said, if he is mentioned, let's hope it's not in a too-significant role (maybe he supports civil rights more ITTL; he did vote for the Civil Rights Act IOTL and, I would assume, ITTL as well (1))...

(1) Which was pointed out in the Rumsfeldia thread, which made his turn in that TL more surprising; on a side note, I did like his portrayal in @The Congressman's TL...

I don't like Rumsfeld myself (though that has to do with his conduct with regards to the Iraq War) but I don't actively hate him, unlike others on this board; I hate Cheney, though (my late mother did, too)...

That being said, if he is mentioned, let's hope it's not in a too-significant role (maybe he supports civil rights more ITTL; he did vote for the Civil Rights Act IOTL and, I would assume, ITTL as well (1))...

(1) Which was pointed out in the Rumsfeldia thread, which made his turn in that TL more surprising; on a side note, I did like his portrayal in @The Congressman's TL...

Just to confirm, Rumsfeld did vote for the Civil Rights Act of 1964, The Voting Rights Act of 1965, and the Civil Rights Act of 1968 ITTL. :)

Well, that is several reasons to like him; maybe he stays moderate ITTL...

That’d be nice.

Senator Rumsfeld ITTL is a complex character, to be sure. :) He's generally seen as a moderate to conservative Republican of the Gerald Ford variety. He favors modest tax cuts, limited, but responsible government, and most importantly, a STRONG national defense which practices preemptive strikes and other small scale operations to secure its foreign policy interests when needed. Because of his penchant for compromise and legislating, he's been considered a strong candidate for Senate leadership, like his predecessor Everett Dirksen. Current Senate Minority Leader Hugh Scott (R - PA) plans on not seeking reelection in '76 to retire, and current Whip Robert Griffin is likely to run to succeed him. (Howard Baker of Tennessee is also thinking of throwing his hat into the ring too). Rummy is considered a possible Republican Whip to either Griffin or Baker, and doesn't see any reason not to run for Whip, as it can only grow his national profile. In terms of major issues he focuses on, Rummy is a foreign policy hawk and a believer in the need for constant arms production and updating. If there's ever debate over new, expensive weapons systems and so on, expect him to be on the front lines of those fights. He's also making quite a name for himself with his charisma and witty retorts against reporters and rivals in Congress. When SNL happens ITTL, expect skits parodying his "hard hitting" rhetorical style.

upload_2019-3-21_14-21-47.jpeg

Senator Rumsfeld ITTL is a complex character, to be sure. :) He's generally seen as a moderate to conservative Republican of the Gerald Ford variety. He favors modest tax cuts, limited, but responsible government, and most importantly, a STRONG national defense which practices preemptive strikes and other small scale operations to secure its foreign policy interests when needed. Because of his penchant for compromise and legislating, he's been considered a strong candidate for Senate leadership, like his predecessor Everett Dirksen. Current Senate Minority Leader Hugh Scott (R - PA) plans on not seeking reelection in '76 to retire, and current Whip Robert Griffin is likely to run to succeed him. (Howard Baker of Tennessee is also thinking of throwing his hat into the ring too). Rummy is considered a possible Republican Whip to either Griffin or Baker, and doesn't see any reason not to run for Whip, as it can only grow his national profile. In terms of major issues he focuses on, Rummy is a foreign policy hawk and a believer in the need for constant arms production and updating. If there's ever debate over new, expensive weapons systems and so on, expect him to be on the front lines of those fights. He's also making quite a name for himself with his charisma and witty retorts against reporters and rivals in Congress. When SNL happens ITTL, expect skits parodying his "hard hitting" rhetorical style.

Personally I hope Bush keeps Reagan as his VP but I would be interested in seeing TTL Rummy as Vice President to be honest.

Despite what many may think of Reagan (I’m not the biggest fan of his policies, politics and ideological beliefs) in OTL, at least he was charismatic as hell, and he WAS a leader, unlike some of the other Neo-Cons, cough... Rummy, Cheney, the Busheys, Bucky, Wolfe, and Goldey ... cough, cough. So with that being said, go Reagan as VP, and may he ‘get this country fixed in 76’!;)

(And this says a lot coming from a ‘liberal Kennedy-guy’ such as me!:p)