Beauty Before Bedlam
The End of the Cold War and the New Age of Aquarius

January 1st, 1993 | Sixty-two days before the Greenville Convention
alt-Al-v-Fed-1993.png

This is a timeline based on the aftermath of a nuclear-armed Cold War between two competing blocs of nations: the Federation and the Alliance. The Federation not only includes member republics in Africa, the Caribbean Sea and South America... its space agency also controls a settlement base on Mars. The Alliance is a loose network of a number of nations that are trade partners and cooperate on security while they pursue independent agendas.

In March 1993, ten years after the end of the Third Indochinese War, the Greenville Convention Treaty will end the nuclear arms race. Humanity will shift towards massive investment in the colonization of outer space as well as the colonization of other spaces: the biological and the digital.

jessejackson.png

Chicago, Illinois, USA

President-elect Jesse Jackson was relieved when they finally gave him some alone time at the St. James Grand Lodge's gardens. Yes, everyone in the Rainbow Coalition wanted a celebratory party amid all the scurrying about to prepare for the new administration. They were going to make history together and they knew it. He'd let them have their fun tonight, but he was tired. It had been a long journey to get this far, to plan the master stroke for the End of the Cold War.

Jesse was going to settle scores with the Popular Federation once and for all, but who knew what that would bring? The reverend brushed his hand along the side of a sturdy maple tree. The future was up to God to know and him to find out, that he knew.

His Secret Service attachment remained far too close than he was comfortable, but even the limited privacy in the darkness after the whirlwind of the last several weeks was welcome. President Jackson drank deep in the cold air of the night.

So, here he was in 1993. It was his year to complete his friend President King's mission. It was time to not just put people back to work, but to actually EDUCATE the American people of ALL races and EMPOWER them. That would take a lot more than just filling out forms and taking cash! It was time to BUILD that abundance for all that Norman Thomas had talked about so long ago when he had founded the American Labor Party.

The tired mustached reverend thought again about his global televised conference with Chairman Cardoso scheduled next month, which scared the hell out of him and wasn't far from his thoughts these days. After all, Fernando had climbed up from university scholarship alone to claim political leadership of the global hegemon in just about ten years. While everyone wanted to talk about the end of the arms race, Jesse felt a pent-up disconnect from the issues that truly had motivated his years of sacrifice to get here. It made him stop for a moment in the moon-lit garden in his plain sweatshirt and clench his jaw while he drank in the sight of a rosebush. Soon enough, though, soon enough. His veins literally almost pulsed out of his skin.

Soon, this country would finally do what needed to be done to respect human life! Just like President King had promised, the promises of the Founding Fathers would be fulfilled. Free at last, free at last, from fear beyond our seashores and from fear across our mountain majesties. Up from the valley to the mountaintop... Maybe those long-haired kids with the crazy sunglasses had been right all along. Here, given to him by God alone, was a chance to start a new age of love for all humankind.

Jesse continued on his trek through the Lodge gardens as the wind picked up that Chicago night with a chuckle. There was still much to plan over the coming weeks before his move with Jacqueline and the kids. He couldn't wait until she saw what he would do to protect the children from all those irresponsible parents who would harm them. They were going to take down the drug lords AND the money-grubbing doctors of death.

"Sir, apologies for disturbing you." A pale agent said curly behind the sunglasses, surprising him from behind.

"Go ahead." Jesse said, refusing to turn his body to face the man.

"You have a call from Helen Wilson."

He immediately rolled his eyes. Jesse knew that showing that woman even a hint of actual friendship would turn out to betray him. Here she was bothering him in the morning hours of New Year's Day. What had she said that convinced them to interrupt this moment of solitude? He had told his Secret Service no exceptions! But he couldn't resist picking up the mobile phone.

"I'm here." He said as he moved his gaze up to the stars. The clouds partially blocked the moon, but it was still glowing bright. Somewhere up there was Artemis Base, which Helen had helped to build with her own hands.

"I know you're busy sir, but I wanted to make an official recommendation based on some gossip I heard earlier today. I wanted you to hear it from me. It's about the Greenville Convention."

That's wasn't surprising. Everything these days concerned the upcoming Convention!

"Speak your mind, Helen." Jesse knew to keep it short with cosmonauts.

"Our contacts in the L.A.F. are being briefed on the possibility of sharing space in their facilities with us, Mr. President." She paused for dramatic effect. "Even at Cosmograd."

Helen went on about a connection they had with the Liberation Aerospace Force and apparently what was being said behind closed doors in office parties in half a dozen places around the world.

The President-elect couldn't believe what he was hearing at first. Was this just gossip that Chairman Cardoso was preparing for more cheesy-ass cosmonaut photos on Mars at a time like this? Or was it more than that? The more he heard from Helen, the more certain the Reverend President was that this was another sign from the Almighty.

Jesse quickly thought back to what the Brazilian professor had told him at that candidates forum in Santiago de Cuba last year. "Remember, I'm only ten years older than you. Think about what YOU might be able to do in ten years!" Maybe he had misunderstood that comment that day. Maybe he hadn't been posturing for leverage.

"Helen, that's the best news I've heard from NASA since I started campaigning for president. You scientists are usually only asking for more money and more risks. Keep this up, though, and I might end up liking you as much as old Spiro did."

President Jackson heard relief in a short indulgence of stilted laughter from Helen: "The Chief saved us from heartache too many times for me to complain much, sir. But I am relieved I won't have to put up with anymore of those long handshakes..."

He smiled while he continued his stroll, feeling the air cooling quickly as the wind picked up. There was another spate of fireworks in the distance, but not many now.

"Thanks for letting me know about Mars. Let's do what we can to make sure our boys and girls in blue can finally see something come out of their sweat, blood, and tears to prepare for their explorations. I know I'll do my part." Jesse laughed again. "When this is all over, though, my friend, let's take a stroll along the shoreline of that Hellas Basin up there. I want to know if the wind blows like it gets going some times over here on Lake Michigan."

Links to Previous Map Thread Posts
----

Last edited:
February 1993: Cosmonauts and Entrepreneurs
spacemirror-memorial.jpg

Cape Canaveral, Florida, USA

With the Sun still rising in the clear morning sky above the Atlantic Ocean and the cool salt air blowing into his face, President Jackson felt as if the giant wall on display behind him was an Ark, ready to accept all God's children for a voyage to Heaven. His soul was singing as a speech tumbled out of him. It had a good energy to it and the crowd was easy to please.

Jesse smiled. He was sure he'd remember these as the easy days. It seemed like anything at all could set off his supporters into whoops and hollers. He paced a bit on the stage to give his performance some dimensionality, throwing his hand out occasionally to the Space Mirror Memorial behind him.

As the cameras zeroed in on him, the former Reverend wanted them to be sure of one thing above all the rest: America wasn't losing a damn thing by electing him to lead them into the Second Millennium. No, in fact, his country had everything to gain by embracing his vision of universal love, which was beyond anything that the Ravers, the Hackers, and all those Aquarians discussed in their drug dens. The politics of love that President Jackson resonated with every fiber of his being included within it a much deeper cooperation with the Federation of People's Republics, the world superpower since the defeat of the Axis Powers forty-six years ago.

Even President King hadn't been able to "catch America up" to parity with the Popular Federation's economic and technological progress. Jesse certainly thought that if that catching up was a doomed and vain project in the eyes of the Lord Jesus Christ as He looked upon his brother Martin's hard work in America through his long years of activism and persecution and electioneering, it would also be to Jesse. It was time to finally move forward and not chase the Federation's tail! Besides, the racism-military-industrial complex in America had to be stopped and Jesse knew that he was the only one now who could fulfill Eisenhower's promise to America.

So, President Jackson began his Space Memorial Speech.

"We meet today at a point of decision, a crossroads of sorts... a road that crosses from here all the way out to the Atlantic and beyond to the rest of God's children that share this little planet with us. Shall we expand this road? Find new unity and power elsewhere on the globe? Or will we human beings suffer division and impotence?

We come together here today in Cape Canaveral, the launching point of millions of dreams and today there is a sense of celebration. When people come together, flowers always flourish and the air is rich with the aroma of a new spring. There are many people, many cultures, many languages here on the Earth and in America and we share one thing in common: the yearning to breathe free!"

Jesse gasped his last words and seemed to half-rush his very own podium as he raised his hand not up into a fist... but into a palm over his heart. The reverend looked over the crowd, felt his heart beating, then gripped the podium and pressed on. He had to inspire them, all of America in fact, that his dream, the dream of a Christian man at the knees of his Creator, could be achieved.

"That is the challenge that our great country, the United States of America, that is what we face as we march forward to the Second Millennium.

Brothers and sisters, left wing and right wing, I'm here today with a message that progress will not come through boundless liberalism nor sound bite conversation, but by the way of critical mass of mutual survival for our families in an uncaring, exploitative age.

We must find our common ground and keep our eyes on the stars as we fight for survival and eventual freedom even from our Earth's gravity.

With so many guided missiles and so much misguided leadership out there in the world, the stakes are exceedingly high.

And so today, I say to you, we choose not a false sense of endurance and invulnerability, not long-suffering merely for the sake of pride.

Today we choose interdependency in our capacity to act and unite for the greater good of humanity. The greater good is to find commitment to new priorities, to expand and to include.

We must ensure that hope will be kept alive for our children and our children's children!"

Jesse had them now. As the cheers die down, he wheeled towards the other direction, let his eyes settle on the crowd as the quietness intensified, then he looked down at the nearest people in the audience and let a smile spread across his face as he raised his thumb up to the air.

jesse-jackson-1990.jpg

"All that being said, I am proud to announce that my friend Chairman Fernando Cardoso of the Popular Federation has assured me, in discussions over the past few weeks, that from now on American cosmonauts that launch from this beautiful shoreline to the final frontier will have friends among the stars. I'd like to thank the Liberation Aerospace Force's General Director Yuri Koptev, yes, he's sitting right over here folks... don't be afraid to say hi and shake his hand now... I'd like to thank him for being here today to sign a definitive agreement for cooperation following this commemoration. From this day forward, we intend to make the space above as safe as we can for ALL our cosmonauts: whether they are American or Russian, Japanese or Chinese."

The applause was nearly as deafening as a rocket launch. The new President was beaming.

"Yes, and remember you heard it here first at Kennedy Space Center! The next generation will visit Soyuz Base on the Moon and we'll invite the LAF to take a tour of Artemis. Our cosmonauts will be allowed to serve and work onboard both the Freedom and the Mir. It has also been decided that the Ares mission currently en route for Mars will return to Earth with only two of its crewmembers. I still have to have a conversation with Commander York on who she believes is best to carry the weight of that responsibility, but Chairman Cardoso has been clear with me that three of NASA's cosmonauts are invited to assist in active exploration at Cosmograd Base. Our men and women in uniform will gain much more experience on the surface of the Red Planet with these accommodations than they would be otherwise. We must refocus the Space Race away from competition born of pride and towards exploration for the future of the entire human race."

More applause, even oohs and ahhs. President Jackson turned back towards the seated guests on the stage and clapped his hands as well, smiling at Director Koptev as the big Russian looked down into his folded hands, overwhelmed by the moment of respect. Jesse then turned back to wrap up the speech with a new spin on some of his regulars:

"Leaders cannot just 'Go Along to Get Along', my friends. We must do more than change presidents! We must change direction. Strong leadership cannot stand in the way of the pursuit of peace! Leaders must reverse the arms race. No, let's think it out and not fight it out, because nuclear weapons are an unwinnable fight. Why hold a card that you can never drop? Let's give peace a chance. That way we can venture out into space together. The heavens cannot be conquered, they can only be explored. America, it is time for us to build a way to each other's hearts so that we can build a way to the stars!

I don't know about some folks, who are fine with the same old regular day after regular day. But I'm tired of sailing in the little boat far inside the harbor bar. I want to go where the big ships float, out on the deep where the great ones are. I hope you feel that, too! And should our frail craft prove too slight, the waves too powerful, let's go down fighting with friends rather than drowning to death in the sheltered shore. We've got to go out, brothers and sisters, to where the big boats are! The good people of Europe, of Asia, of South America and Africa, they will help take us there.

So, hold your head high. Don't submerge your dreams. We must never stop dreaming! We must never surrender to the fear of the stranger!"

Jesse wiped sweat from his brow with a handkerchief. It was cool out but the Sun, it just kept coming down...

"Which is why today, as we move inside for the signing ceremony of this historic agreement, I'd like you all to enjoy the loud, proud and most beautiful sounds of Popular Radio Cuba. I have ordered that this radio station and all others from the Popular Federation will be blocked by our military no longer. There's no good reason for free people to not share music in America just like there's no good reason for free people to not share space!

Let's keep hope in that future of true freedom alive, my brothers and sisters! Keep hope alive America! Thank you!"

More applause as the crowd stood, then screeches from onlooking reporters, which was then drowned out by the sudden onset of extravagant classical music.

"Estás escuchando Radio Popular Cuba. Congratulations to you President Jesse Jackson and hello America!" Then the Latin beats commenced, completed by Spanish guitar and bongo drums. Jesse flipped on his sunglasses and went out to the sea of hands and cameras.

---

dormroom-2000s.jpg

Austin, Texas, USA

"Marc!" The young IBM intern can hear the older Brazilian man shouting before he slams the door open and barges in. Marc Andreesen continues tapping away at his laptop, confining his annoyance of punctuality to behind his eyes.

"You're early." He told his business partner.

"Desculpas. Marc, I realized something after speaking with my son. I need to tell you before we launch the site."

That stopped him. Marc swiveled his chair around and showed Mr. Saverin his laptop.

"Persona Vita is already live."

The man's eyes bulged and he grabbed the laptop, pulling it inappropriately close to his face. "Shit. That looks good. That looks really good!"

Marc got up and cracked open his minifridge for a Diet Coke. "So what did Eduardo tell you?" Of course, he was a little uncomfortable that Roberto was talking to his son at all about their idea. Kids don't know how to keep secrets. But, even though Marc had learned to program at Eduardo's age, he didn't go far as to assume the little immigrant kid was going to be a competitor. That would be crazy. Eduardo was eleven.

Roberto was still guffawing at the website, but then snapped back into reality. "It's this idea for a new feature that I really think has some SAUCE to it, Marc. I've been dropping some hints about our website. He's creative, he put it all together before I could explain half of it! And this feature is spicy, it really is."

Maybe he should hire the kid instead of the father! Marc chugged his frosty Diet Coke. At least the kid wouldn't demand so many shares in his company. It was competitive out there these days, especially with the way IBM was doing. He always tried to hide it, but the internship was taking a toll on him and he knew failure was always an option... there and with his first company.

Which is why: "There's still time for some cosmetic changes. Whadya got?"

"Relationship Status."

"Hmm... What?" Marc scratched his bald head.

"My son, there's a girl in his class he's trying to meet... he's a shy boy, you know how it is." Roberto smiled and slumped back onto a nearby sofa, waxing proud and fatherly. "There's lots to learn. It's a strange world out there. Especially when you're the stranger."

"So this is a romance thing? You want us to use Persona Vita as a dating service?" Marc started rolling the idea around in his mind.

"No, no, not exactly. But, you see, my son wants to know what classes this girl is in. Wants to know if she's already got a crush. Well, it's kid stuff, but we do it too, don't we Marc?"

That landed. Marc sighed. He was still single. His passion for Sailor Moon was the closest thing to a female relationship he'd had. It was all going to change when he made it big... but that was the future, this was now.

"It's a good idea. I suppose we could add a simple feature. Connect users somehow through it. Oh! Huh. We can ask them to invite their girlfriends, boyfriends, crushes, all those people... all onto Persona Vita! This is good, Roberto." Marc grabbed the laptop and started to call up a coding program. Soon his fingers were flying.

Roberto watched him soberly for a few minutes and then gave a barking laugh. Marc looked up from the code. "What is it?"

"I saw that masthead you put up there, buddy." Roberto said, "On the site. I'm really grateful, Marc. Congratulations, hein?"

Oh yeah. Sure. Marc had listed him as Co-Founder and CFO. He was happy to make the guy's day. He had after all had made this day happen. It was his investment that bought the website's servers. There were going to be a lot of users on this thing, server volume was going to be important.

"We're definitely going places Roberto. I'm here with you until the end."

"Well, I need to do my part, too, buddy." The older man started opening up his backpack to pull out his own laptop. "I'm going to send invitations to every email I have. All of them! Everyone needs to be on PersonaVita.com."

"That's the spirit." Marc coughed, tightening up a few more lines of code. "But, put together that email and let me proofread it before you blast it out." He still needed some time to figure out this Relationship Status thing.

"Blast it out?"

"Yeah, like, before you shoot out the emails to a million places make sure it's all spell-checked."

"Got it. Blast it out. Like a rocket!" Mr. Saverin laughed to himself while Marc rolled his eyes. "Did you hear about Jesse Jackson's speech over at Cape Canaveral by the way? It's all over the news..."

Last edited:
March 1993: The Greenville Convention Strategic Arms Limitations Treaty
liberty bridge.png

Greenville, South Carolina, USA

Have you ever been in a crowd that really wasn't budging, so much that it became socially awkward to be pressed up against total strangers? People might laugh nervously as they start sweating, clothing and skin touching other people without so much as a sticky note of consent. It felt like that on the way to the signing of the Treaty that day to Alexander Pearis and many others, not because they weren't moving (the tickets to the event were quite limited), but because the international diversity compounded the feeling of absurdity. Perhaps also the ample champagne and the closeness to history had something to do with the giddiness.

Yet Russians wearing uniforms and unsuitable jackets were there passing around little hotel bottle shots to the bemusement of onlooking Congolese ambassadors and German camera teamsters. There was the Bush family pushing through with solemn faces but acting like a lost entourage in Jerusalem. Little black South Carolina girls pushed passed the grown ups before they were chided by dignitaries from Australia. Panamanians in military fatigues scowled on as a few mothers starting humming up what sounded like a spiritual.

Alex just soaked in the magic of nervous conversation and informal joking as they made there way to the grass-covered grounds above the Reedy River Falls, that was positioned adjacently below the Liberty Bridge enough to see what was happening. Bleachers had been constructed on the far side of the grassy field for dignitaries to watch from above the crowds, but Alex hadn't cared enough about the idea to secure a seat. The suspended structure was memorable to everyone in attendance as it had been featured widely in the news after the good Reverend Jackson won the presidential election in November. Hands Across America had organized almost a million people to link the Statue of Liberty with the Liberty Bridge for its opening ceremony over the Holidays in anticipation of Jackson fulfilling one of his key campaign promises.

Now the grass was growing in the early spring, large flags were draped from the bridge railing like banners, and the cameras were capturing the long-awaited moment of the culmination of protracted negotiations. The President of the United States of America, the commander of the Pacific-Atlantic Alliance's leading member with its largest nuclear arsenal and most powerful economy, was approaching a large table that had been placed in the center of the bridge.

Alex was far happier to see the new President than the other leaders that were also on their way to that table. He hadn't been able to make it to Washington DC for the inauguration. Unlike the many diplomats and higher ups, he had merely secured a ticket as a privilege afforded to the Mayor of Greenville for his department chairs. As the sitting leader of the city's Chamber of Commerce he was there to make sure the contracted labor they had hired for the event remembered they expected excellence. Luckily, as he glanced throughout the crowd with a smile on his face, everyone was at their best, in uniform with mostly reverent faces and he could focus instead on the signing.

At this point, Alex had found himself a relatively good standing area in the crowd to view the bridge. He was between a large fur-hatted man in a kind of black robe and a group of short East Asians. There was Chairman Fernando Henrique Cardoso of the Popular Federation, who had reached the table on Liberty Bridge and started talking to Jesse as they waited for cameras to line up. The man looked thinner than he did on TV. Silence started spreading through the crowd as they prepared a bundle of microphones for speeches. It was really happening, right there in front of them all. This was what the End of the Cold War looked like: a dozen world leaders in formal clothing looking down from a bridge over a scenic waterfall. Alex wondered if President Jackson had known it would look like this when he told America last year about his plans to invite the great FHC himself to his hometown in South Carolina to sign a peace treaty.

The Mayor of Greenville, a little bespectacled man who kept a wide grin on his face the entire time, settled down the crowd and welcomed the leaders of the world for this historic moment. Then it was President Jackson's turn, who surprised everyone when he announced he'd lead them all in a prayer to God. Alex closed his eyes and bowed his head as he should, but he couldn't help but think that because of muffled murmurs in the crowd, that this moment may have not been planned. Oh well, that was Jesse Jackson! In any case the prayer was short and sober, while it was in the speech afterward that he really increased the intensity of his words as though it were a sermon.

"The world is leaving one epoch and entering another. We are at the beginning of a long road to a lasting, peaceful era. The threat of force, mistrust, psychological and ideological struggle should all be things of the past."

In contrast, Chairman Cardoso spoke next in crisp, careful English to the crowd with a slow, calm tone. Alex felt hope come alive in his heart as he heard the man speak. He could feel that FHC was a leader who cared for people, whether they were of his own country or another. The world was in good hands.

"We can realize a lasting peace and transform the East-West relationship to one of enduring cooperation. That is the future that President Jackson, these other great leaders of humanity that are here today, that we all begin today here in Greenville, South Carolina of the United States of America."

More speeches, faster this time, from the Secretary-General of the Commonwealth of Nations, a black woman with large red glasses, then heads of state from South America, then the Nigerian and Libyan presidents with brief words of hope from Africa. There was a strange moment when one leader professed his belief that Casimir Pulaski would be proud, a comment which prompted sophomoric cheers from one section of the crowd while the audience murmured in ignorance. At times, he found his attention drifting to the flags billowing below the bridge as he made his best attempt to identify the more forgettable designs. Finally, after a slight, dark-skinned man in a light blue suit told the world that the state of Antarctica welcomed a nuclear-free world, they started the signing of the Treaty while cameras flashed like iridescent diamonds.

Each signature had a special pen which was whisked away by aides as soon as it had completed its special stroke. The crowd waited nearly speechless while documents in leather binders flitted this way and that by knowing hands. It was hard to make out everything from Alex's vantage point upstream of the falls, looking out over the Reedy River as it passed over shallow shelves of rock. Suddenly there was applause from the bridge which then was echoed as a furor by the crowds of people on all sides of the bridge. A band started to play. The figures above were shaking hands and waving with almost visible smiles on their faces from this distance. There would have been fireworks, but it had been Alex's responsibility to put an end to that idea on the grounds that it carried a fair amount of liability around all these world leaders, as well as being suggestive of armaments.

There would be many parties in Greenville tonight and throughout the world! With the completion of the mass signing of the Greensville Convention Treaty, they had made history! Trumpets blared from the band over the park, pushing the sound of the falls into the background.

Alexander Pearis couldn't wait to see what he could do with the surplus sales tax revenue later this year, that was never far from his mind, it was his job after all... but he was also proud to be an American that day and that's something he hadn't felt in a long time. Damn, he felt good to be a human being on these cool green hills of Earth.

The Rainbow Coalition had accomplished miracles of God right before his eyes, he had to remind himself, just like President Jackson had promised. It was almost supernatural for an older man to see, as otherworldly as watching the first men and women settle the surface of Mars. Peace in our time! An end to the arms race between the Alliance and the Federation. A new chapter for the Earth in the Second Millennium. God only knew what might happen next!

----

Major Provisions of the 1993 Greenville Convention Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty
  • Supersedes the Non-Proliferation Treaty and extends it indefinitely with a 5-year review.
  • The continents of Africa, Antarctica, Oceania and South America are to be recognized as Nuclear-Weapon Free Continents (NWFCs) by all signatories.
  • Transportation of nuclear arms or delivery systems or associated prohibited technology into and/or through NWFCs, as well as Non-Participating States (NPSs), is to be regarded as an act of hostility to which all signatories have a responsibility to conduct an appropriate response.
  • Sharing nuclear energy or nuclear weapons technology or infrastructure with any non-signatory nation of the GC-SALT is banned with the accused to be apprehended by international forces and to be judged and sentenced by an international tribunal.
  • Nuclear-Weapon States (NWSs) agree to restrict nuclear arms and delivery systems to within their territory or international waters.
  • NWSs agree to limit their total number of deployed strategic nuclear warheads to 300, with the exception that each bomber's nuclear arsenal is to be counted as one warhead.
  • NWSs agree to limit their total number of deployed and non-deployed nuclear-capable intercontinental missiles, submarine-launched ballistic missiles, and heavy bombers to 150.
  • All signatory countries agree to limit their total number of deployed and non-deployed fixed wing fighter aircraft and rotary wing attack aircraft to 1,000, excepting the intercontinental federations: the Commonwealth of Nations, Federation of People's Republics and the United States of America, which are limited to 2,000 of such aircraft.
  • Verification regimes will be established with representation from all signatory countries and will be empowered to conduct investigations with robust data transparency.
1993-nuclear-limitations.png

Participation in the Greenville Convention Strategic Arms Limitations Treaty
Dark blue = Nuclear Weapon States
Purple = Non-Nuclear Weapon State Signatories
Teal = Nuclear-Weapon Free Continents
Red = Non-Participating States​

Last edited:
June 1993: Scissors of the Gods
University-of-Alicante_3112786dd.png

San Vicente del Raspeig, Alicante, Spain

Dr. Francis Mojica couldn't believe his ears. Dr. Thorsten Hirsch wasn't the most expressive man, but he had worked with Francis for years. He considered him a friend, not just a collaborator. Now Thorsten was throwing in the towel, days before they were going to publish to Porog. Worse, he insisted on pulling his research contributions. Would he need to find another genetics engineer to make this study stick? Porog's editors might blacklist them both if he couldn't convince his friend in Oberdeutschland to go through with their plans. What a disaster!

"Look, I don't mind making changes the paper. You tell me what problems you have, Thorsten. We can deal with this." He said in German.

Dr. Hirsch responded in Spanish: "I'm afraid there is no negotiation on this. I've made up my mind. If you go ahead with my work I will take legal action."

"But why so sudden? I don't understand. You have to give me more information." Had someone blackmailed Thorsten? What was this about?

"I'd really prefer anger from you than curiosity at this point, Francis. It's a matter of shame."

"Shame?" Had he heard that right.

"Shame, yes. I've had meetings with several faculty members here at Tubingen, discussing some of the elements of our research. They aren't taking it well, Francis. They are coming after me."

"Because of our research? KGBPW could save millions of lives, Thorsten. Did they even consider how many applications..."

"That's not the point and you know it."

"In what world should that not be the point? Why did any of us get involved in science if-"

"This may not be something you can understand! You're going to have to live with that."

"I can understand a great deal!"

"You aren't German! You never will understand!"

There it was. Well. He had to try to persuade his friend.

"I've been to Nuremburg and Munich just like you Thorsten. I felt the horror and pain in those museums. I'm not blind to the darkness."

"I'm not going to say you are heartless, Francis. You're a good man. But you are not German. That's why you must publish this paper and not me."

"Oh don't go on about guilt and shame, Thorsten. I had Catholic parents just like you. Your work could do so much good if only you'd grow up.."

"You use my research and I don't care what it costs me! I'll see you in court!" Dr. Hirsch yelled in German, then hung up.

Dr. Mojica took off his glasses and rubbed his eyes. The Cold War was supposed to be over, but apparently the Great Eurasian War wasn't done with German hearts. This was like a bad science fiction novel.

The Spanish microbiologist left his office and went outside. It was a beautiful summer day on campus. Students chatted as they carried books to their classes. Some were leaning against walls and trees, texting on their phones in the shade. Francis sighed. His friend had been persuaded that their work was scientific fascism. What a terrible burden to carry! Maybe it wasn't something he was able to understand.

It felt good to feel the sunlight on his face. Are you disappointed in me, Dios? In what I'm about to do? Dr. Mojica didn't receive an answer.

As Dr. Mojica walked back to his office, the microbiologist started realizing how he would fill in the gaps. Yes, there were ways to replicate the data Thorsten had provided him. This wouldn't delay the paper too much. He'd ask for an extension and bring some graduate students in to help. The University of Alicante had a glorious opportunity here and he wasn't going to let it go to waste. The Spanish were going to discover the New World yet again! He'd just have to make sure the conquistadores didn't take advantage, this time.

Francis would have to come up with a new name for the technology of short clustered regularly interspaced palindromic repeats. The German acronym KGBPW wouldn't work anymore with Dr. Hirsch out of the picture and they certainly couldn't go back to the Japanese name. Hmmm... he had always liked the Spanish version: "RPCARI-Ras5". Much better than the English or Russian versions of the name. If Alicante was going to get all the credit for the discovery of the molecular scissors protein of the Streptococcus pyogenes bacterium, well, might as well force the rest of the world to use its Spanish name.

Last edited:
July 1993: What are you doing for the Federation Festival?
Moscow.jpeg

Moscow, Russia, FPR

It was a Sunday and it was more than hot enough outside that day in Moscow that no one minded much when students slipped their shoes off and climbed into one of the fountain pools to cool off. Katerina Kazakov waited for her friends to finish at a nearby bench, rocking her foot back and forth in the sun, sunglasses on top of her head. She was too absorbed in her new purchase, a book by American sociologist Dr. Francis Fukuyama that was making waves named The Great Disruption. She was studying political science at the university and had heard this one mentioned again and again, so she decided to pick it up at Book Labyrinth.

As she scanned the headlines before diving into one section, Katerina couldn't help but notice that Dr. Fukuyama was rather visionary. The book ran the gamut of describing changes to family life and society since the end of the Great Eurasian War and their consequences. The sections arguing for the regulation of biotechnology was extremely interesting. He would make a lot of friends with Christian Democrats here in the Popular Federation, that was for sure. She wondered if his next book would go into his thoughts on the End of the Cold War. She was dying to read more American work on the topic from an academic perspective. It was still difficult to read current affairs books translated from English. From what she had heard from her professors, though, that would be changing soon.

Yasmina and Sofia returned back to their shoes and stood on the ledge of the fountain while they dried their feet in the sun. Sofia pulled a cell phone out of her pink leather purse and nonchalantly started texting someone.

"You were definitely sucked into that one, Katerina!" Yasmina smiled widely.

"It's pretty good." She grinned back, before turning back to the page to finish at least one more paragraph.

"I didn't know you read Japanese authors."

"The man is an American writer, actually."

"Oh, prikolno. What's it about?"

Katerina finished up the paragraph and responded somewhat bitterly, refusing to let Yasmina know that she was just barely starting to comprehend the book's argument, "Fukuyama is making the case that greater inclusion of women and ethnic minorities in the developed world is suppressing wage growth and is a threat to social cohesion. What he suggests as a remedy I'm not quite sure, but he seems very critical of new technology."

"Oro!" Yasmina laughed nervously, "I've heard the Japanese can be pretty conservative, which totally confuses me because their comics are mostly, like, the opposite."

"Yeah, but he's American." Katerina responded coldly while keeping her eyes glued to the pages. "And I believe Japanese comics are called manga."

"I know I just didn't know if you knew alright?" Yasmina retorted with a stupid grin. She was such a dunce sometimes. Katerina ignored her for a moment while Sofia stifled a laugh in reaction to the hidden conversation read from her phone.

"So, with you always hanging out in Book Labyrinth, Katerina, do you read any manga?" Yasmina smiled meekly this time, sitting down to put her shoes back on.

"You know, I did when I was in high school. Shell Squad was my favorite. I heard they're making a donghua!"

"Haha, I'm more of an Astro Boy fan myself." Yasmine said, "And that's called anime when its Japanese!" Katerina rolled her eyes.

"O Boze Moy, you two are such lokhs." Sofia mustered as she put her phone back into her purse to put her shoes back on. "Hey Sergei are you done?" She called out to their one male friend who was still flirting with Emilie in the fountain with his shirt unbuttoned.

Moscow-dancers.jpg

Later they were walking down the street back to Emilie's dorm to regroup. Sofia had to study and so did Katerina. She already knew it was going to be a temptation to procrastinate on her paper even further in order to read more of Fukuyama's book. Why couldn't she stay more focused on grade work? They passed a bar and entered a square that had a couple restaurants. Muscovites were milling about in all directions, some men drinking in the street and casually talking, others waiting for admission into said restaurants. One flamboyant couple, including a guy Katerina's age who was dressed as a sailor, danced in the street while two street performers played on.

The street was brightly lit by the sun which was starting to set. There was a cool breeze which the students enjoyed as they chatted on their walk. There weren't too many others out. The religious folks were mostly at the cathedrals or their homes and those few who worked on Sunday were finishing up shifts early. They were passing a shop with windows filled with digital television sets when Katerina saw a tell-tale mustached face with ebony skin, speaking to an exuberant crowd. There were multi-colored balloons and streamers everywhere. She always appreciated how both the Americans and Russians shared the same national colors.

"Vot edo da, Reverend Jackson is speaking!" She said, pulling away from the group to push her face as close as she could to the window without fogging it up.

Katerina could barely hear the translated dub as America's president spoke to the crowd. Right, it was their Independence Day! How could she forget. This one was probably pretty important, what with the Greenville Conference Treaty being successfully ratified by both sides of the Cold War just a few months ago. The celebration and excitement wasn't going to stop soon that summer!

"Come on Katerina, no one wants to watch American news channel with you." Sofia griped as her group of comrades kept walking.

The Russian political science student was addicted. She had heard Jackson's translated speeches plenty of times, but she couldn't help but wonder if there was anything new being said. It must be such a wonderful time to be alive over there, with the country finally opening up to the world economy and society. She'd have to talk to Filipe soon, the American exchange student from Florida. Alas, there were no subtitles and she couldn't make out anything that the world leader was saying from the audio, with that confident swagger of his at the podium. Well, it looked more hopeful still, at least.

An older man who had stopped for a moment at her side decided to speak. "He's even better than President King, that one!" He said with a toothy grin and continued on about something about the Guaranteed Income they had in the United States. Yes, that was pretty typical for those Boomers, always critical of the West's universal cash programs. Still, the mutual interest the two Russians had in American politics was moving to Katerina, in some way. They had called this phenomenon the "American Moment" from Trotskygrad news channels.

Ever since that day, almost a year ago, when the Reverend Jackson had congratulated FHC for winning his election to the Assembly Chair and had invited him to Greenville, South Carolina to talk about world peace, it seemed that the entire Federation had fallen in love with the leader of the Rainbow Coalition. And Chairman Cardoso, of course, even more than they had, but what really stuck out to the nations of the world was a special bond between the two leaders of the Americas that kept hope alive. Whatever specter possessed the post-colonial Western Hemisphere, it had leaped across the Oceans and all the way to the glistening cityscapes of Moscow.

Katerina smiled nervously at the stranger when he finished abruptly, having not listened to most of what he had said about cash programs. She nodded and decided to give a vague remark, without smiling. "Jackson is very inspiring. I'm grateful the Federation finally has an ally with a big heart in Washington. Have a blessed Sunday, sir! It was a pleasure talking to you!" Then she turned and left before he could say more. It was always fun to be overly formal with Boomers.

The political science student was unwilling to start sharing more serious opinions with a stranger, especially an older one. She expected he would talk over her and remain unconvinced by any arguments she made, as was common in Moscow. Instead she ran to catch up with her friends who had made it a ways down the street, both hands clutching her new book to her stomach.

"Just wanted to see what was happening for the American Independence Day..." Katerina mumbled to them with mild annoyance.

"We all know about your crush on the Reverend President." Yasmina laughed while giving her a side eye.

They'd used this joke before, but Katerina laughed. It was kinda true after all. "I would corrupt him in a heartbeat if he ever comes to Moscow." she said.

Yasmina winked. "Nevermind Jackson, Katerina, okay? Let's go over your fantasies when Sergei isn't around."

"Follow your heart, I won't judge!" Sergei quipped.

"Sergei, that's what the internship in Trotskygrad is for, don't you know?"

The four stopped at a corner store for a quick coffee on their way back. Yasmina and Katerina waited for the other three outside. They were the tight-fisted ones of the group. In any case it was nice to avoid more discussion of Aquarian philosophy, a topic which Sergei could never seem to drop.

"So, what are you doing for the Federation Festival?" Yasmina asked with interest on her face as they sat down in the shade.

"I'm actually going back home to Vidnoye." Katerina admitted after a moment of hesitation. It was on Tuesday, which meant she had a lot of work to finish up on before she could leave.

"Oh. The whole day? Because Sofia and I were going to go check out that block party at Kravchenko."

"When does it start?"

"At 7:00, but the party is an all-nighter."

Katerina shrugged while she idly flipped some pages of the Fukuyama book. She supposed she could swing back after they met up with the relatives for the Festival. Mom and Dad's place was only an hour and a half away, two hours tops with holiday traffic.

"Sure, you know me, always up for a party. I'll be there!" Katerina blurted, committing herself before any good sense kicked in. "I'll find my own way over there, though. I'll be late. My family treats Federation Day pretty seriously." She would just look up directions on Karte Kveste and figure out how to get there by train or bus. She needed to drop her Volga off so that Dad could have the family mechanic fix the transmission by next weekend.

"Prikolno. Should be fun! Sofia is bringing the vodka. Also, I heard Filipe is going to be there."

Katerina would have blushed, but Russian women knew better than to let their faces betray those kinds of feelings...

Last edited:
Interlude: "Der Jäger" (1987)
0f6fcd3fe501220576cc719b15e0f5ce.jpg

Der Jäger (1987)

Der Jäger begins like Rambo and ends like Alien, and in today's Yalta cinema, that would be enough for an action-oriented blockbuster movie. Fortunately, the imaginative Marcos Ramirez brings the setting many smart details and allows the characters a degree of complexity that is notable when compared to most other mainstream fare.

The film stars Arnold Schwarzenegger as "Dutch", the leader of a Popular Federation commando team that is protecting a mysterious shipment on a hypersonic train. They are traveling through a boggy Martian frontier of the future, where all you really need is a jacket and an oxygen tank to survive outside, but everyone fears leaving their domes because of the dreaded "Marslanders". The mission seems simple, then goes south when literal Nazi mutants from the Red Hills show up for a good old fashioned train robbery. You can tell someone in Yalta stayed up very late with a bong handy for this one.

The movie is a high-energy, sleek action picture that benefits from its mixed locations from southern Utah and Kazakhstan, all portrayed with a red hue. The heroes spend most of their time surrounded by a vast muddy wasteland, a red and brown hellscape populated by plenty of other violent Earthlings in addition to the mutant that hunts our Germanic protagonist (who everyone adores without that beard from Ilya Muromets). Its unusual to see a desert wasteland look more beautiful or more convincing.

As the film opens, Schwarzenegger and his comrades pay the rumors of the Marslanders no mind, even though the audience has been warned in the upsetting textual prologue of alternate history that the guerilla soldiers of a new Nazi Reich are out there. The introduction of the characters seems almost quaint, though palpitating with a nervous energy. The train is derailed all in one moment which is then when all hell breaks loose. The barbarians are suddenly at the gates with red dust blowing in in behind them and if you don't have your oxygen tank your last minutes will involve mostly frantic suffocation. The Army boys do their job well, dispatching the blond, filthy stormtroopers with ruthless ease. As they trudge off with the crates for the next outpost, though, you notice they are still being watched and followed by something more than just your average desert hooligan.

The hunter of the movie's title is a highly self-directed psychopath, the product of the nightmarish underground society of enduring National Socialists that is later depicted to the horror of audiences everywhere. How they weren't forced to fend off a full sci-fi military crusade from the libertine superpowers of Earth is anyone's guess. The hunter is merely the tip of a spear that is briefly shown with muted disgust in the second act before that group, too, is annihilated and scattered to the wilds from their lava tube home. When Schwarzenegger finally grapples with the Jäger, we discover it is wearing an old space suit and that inside the rusting anachronism is a two-headed monster that defies any sense of Aryan purity. Though the style is camp and the deformities of mutant characters are pushed to absurdity, their emergence in the story contrasts well with the psychedelic strangeness our soldiers experience when they are forced to use abandoned Marslander air tanks.

On the Red Planet, dreams and nightmares move quickly from illusion to reality.

None of these disturbing progressions of the plot distract from what is otherwise a surreal escape . Der Jäger has strong and vocal characters, a great location and fantastic special effects. Beyond that it has scenes of breakneck action that will leave you whiplashed in your seat.

Students of trivia might want to note that the actor that plays the Jäger is Peter Kevin Hall, who also occupies the Bigfoot costume in a beloved Hollwood film, Harry and the Hendersons. Not many actors get to play a lovable mythological ape and a mutant space Nazi in the same year. I'm certain he's the only American to do so. Peter, you must be a good sport!

Last edited:
August 1993: Stalling for Time
quincy-flood.png

Quincy, Illinois, USA

James Scott was having a grand old time with his half-brother Dan’s place in West Quincy when his wife Suzy showed up to end his fun. He was half a pack in to his drinking that night and why he thought his wife would be delayed from her return from work at the truck stop in Taylor across the Mississippi River, he didn’t know.

“Dammit, woman, why can’t you have a drink and enjoy yourself for once?”

“Jimmy you better go tell Dan’s family goodbye and get in the truck in the next ten minutes or I’m leaving your ass here. The whole Midwest is flooding and I’m NOT going to spend the night this way.”

“I helped SAVE Quincy from that flood today! I was hauling sandbags for hours!”

"Don't you dare lie to me Jimmy, your clothes don't look anything like you've been out in this muck." Suzy shouted. Then she turned before he could get another word in and half-ran back to the idling truck up the hill. She wasn’t getting into it in the light drizzle. The fast food worker leaned back in his chair under the tree and downed the rest of his can of beer. He was off the clock and was not going to hustle like when his boss at Insta-Burger was looking.

Jimmy tugged at his fishing line. Just like he thought… those levees were keeping the fish from the shoreline. He should have ruptured those levees and pushed those sandbags in when he had the chance. But no… James Scott had wanted to prove to the other townspeople he could be decent. Yet the man couldn’t even finish a pack of beer after putting in all that extra work! It made him want to burn something down. Maybe his marriage.

Oh well, the fish weren’t biting. Jimmy pulled in his line and was half-way back to Dan’s house when his half-brother intercepted him on the porch.

“You must have already talked to Suzy!” His drinking pal hee-hawed.

“Gotta turn in early I suppose, just in case I gotta save anyone from the Great Flood tonight.” Jimmy scowled.

Jimmy wiped off his muddy boots on the doormat just as a child collided with him as another chased. Perfect. He dropped the half-pack of beer cans and the tackle box on the dining room table. Dan’s wife was flicking to new channels on the television. Suddenly, an announcer’s voice stole his attention.

waco.jpg

“… of Waco came to an end today when federal agents successfully facilitated the evacuation and arrest of more than eighty adult followers of cult leader David Koresh as well as twenty-four children from their compound at Mount Carmel ranch.”

The TV showed images of stooping men and disheveled women in old-fashioned clothing (even a bonnet!) being led into gray vans with federal troopers standing ready on all sides with assault rifles. Tables were shown full of confiscated rifles, grenades and computer gadgetry. There was smoke and dust in the air, but was otherwise very sunny, quite a difference from Illinois right now.

“Shit, Reverend Jackson just prevented another Jonestown.” Dan barked as he finished wiping his own shoes on the doormat. "What a way to start the month!"

His wife looked up from the couch, “They were pumping tear gas into their building over there on their ranch, Dan. Those little girls and boys were scratching their eyes red! It was terrible. Going to give me nightmares for weeks!”

Dan looked at Jimmy uncomfortably, then quickly plucked another can of beer from the table and opened it. “For the road?”

James Scott couldn’t resist and grabbed the can. “Don’t forget those ATF goons took out those six crazies last week. I just wish they hadn’t caught Koresh at that gun show, maybe they could have popped him off, too.” Then he slammed about half of the beer.

The truck honked outside before he could finish and the rain picked up, peppering the windows and the roof at a higher volume.

“Jimmy, you better run,” Dan’s wife said, “Suzy was all kinds of pissed off when she came in here to see where you went.”

“Oh I know it.” Jimmy guffawed. Dan smirked and rolled his eyes. There was just enough time to guzzle the rest of his beer before he ran out the door to face the music.

Last edited:
Interlude: The 1980 Flag of the Federation of People's Republics
imageonline-co-hueshifted.png

The Official 1980 Popular Flag of the Federation of People's Republics

The symbol(s) is the product of its time as the seventy member states conducted a series of online polls, with user responses weighted by real populations of their republics to account for differences in the usage of the new technology. The shift to the color green was decided after a massive federation-wide ranked choice vote which saw it win against many other contenders. Green was especially popular among participants of the federal survey in Anatolia, Belarus, Bulgaria, Hungary, Ethiopia, Ireland, Kenya, Kirghizstan, Madagascar, Stamboul and Trotskygrad.

The 1906 "Blue Sky, White Sun, and a Wholly Red Earth" flag, which had been established as the official flag of the Popular Federation in 1957 by Chairman Zhukov as a compromise measure of respect towards President Mao to win the accession of the Republic of China into the Federation, was finally withdrawn to the history books after years of unpopularity. To the great relief of the new recruits of the Liberation Army, they were allowed to continue wearing the expired 1906 flags on their uniforms. After the Liberation of Vietnam three years later, the new flags were universalized for soldiers, veterans and civil servants in preparation of the victory celebrations. The process of creation and adoption of the new flag was viewed as forward-thinking by observers of the administration of Chairman Schmidt. It also made the cloth & fabric cooperatives an enormous amount of money from the recycling of an abundance of red, white and blue cloth from expired flags.

Veteran culture in the Popular Federation embraced the "Green Flag" over the Chinese flag with limited hold-outs among the older generations. Veterans and university students were largely responsible for popularizing the flag through a fad of the 1980s to send photos to friends of the photographer enjoying a cannabis cigarette in front of the 1980 Popular Flag. This is regarded as one of the earliest widespread experience with the "selfie" phenomenon. Note that it's taboo to capture such photographs during work shifts and the act can warrant severe punishments by enterprises in most republics if such photos are divulged to the public.

Last edited:
September 1993: The Chain Extends Long
jesse-jackson-hero.jpg

Washington DC, USA

President Jackson approached the podium with an easy smile on his face. After a couple small waves he turned to his notes and began.

“My fellow Americans, before I begin my words tonight I would like to ask that we all bow in a moment of silent prayer for the memory of those who were killed and those who have been injured in the tragic train accident in Mississippi today.”

The reverend closed his eyes and bowed his head while his audience, even most of the reporters and auxiliary staff, did the same. They held the silence for a full minute as the cameras rolled.

“Amen.” Jesse lifted his head and looked at the crowd with more intensity and seriousness now.

“Today is a special day. Today, we Americans come together to write a new chapter in the story of the land of the brave. The people of our country have long placed their faith in the American Dream and have worked hard to secure life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for their children’s future. Every generation of Americans has worked to strengthen that legacy, to make our country a place of freedom and opportunity, a place where people who work hard can rise to their full potential, a place where their children can have a better future.

From our forebears settling the New World to our landing on the Moon thirty years ago, ours has been a continuous story of challenges defined and obstacles overcome. Though we have struggled to live together in fairness and harmony, we have always managed to bend the moral arc of history towards justice. That is what makes America what it is and Americans what we are.

Now we are in a time of profound change and opportunity. The end of the cold war, the information age, the global economy have brought us both hope and uncertainty. Our purpose in this dynamic age must be to make change our friend and not our enemy.

To achieve that goal, we must face all our challenges with confidence, with faith and with discipline, whether we're reducing the number of American bullets fired, whether we’re creating tomorrow's jobs and training our people to fill them, whether we’re expanding our reach in the Solar System, or reinventing government, or making our streets safer, or empowering the dreamers to dream the dreams of the next Millennium. All these challenges require us to change!

If Americans are to have the courage to change in a difficult time, we must first be secure in our most basic needs. That is why today I am proud to say that after more than a decade of divisive conflict between our two political parties in the halls of Congress, after all the votes have been tallied, the Citizen’s Basic Securities Act becomes law in the United States of America—today. I am proud our Congress was able to pass this historic legislation in time for Labor Day.

For as we mark the end of summer, we also mark the start of a new age for working families in America. In a few moments, when I sign this bill, all of the overheated rhetoric over reform will finally confront the reality of reform. And, while the Senate still has a last round of improvements to make on this legislation, the bill I'm signing will finally implement reforms that entire generations of Americans have fought for and marched for and hungered to see, going back not to just President King’s early days on the freedom road, but all the way back to heroes for the people like Frederick Douglass and Thomas Paine.

To delay these reforms would be a crime against the American people, after all, this is an act of justice on their behalf to compensate for the selfish actions of President Bush and his party’s wealthy supporters. We must atone for having gone down the dark road; for ignoring the poor and the hungry. We cannot delay returning to the path of light!

We in the American family are part of a continuing struggle for justice and decency, links in a chain that began long before we were born and will extend long after we are gone. God will know us not by our clever words and positioning, but for our principles. Not by our political calculations, but rather by our grasp on the moral and ethical center of wrong and right.

We who stand with working people and poor have a special burden. We must stand for what is right, stand up to those who have the might. We do so grounded in the faith, that what is morally wrong will never be politically right. But if it is morally sound, it will eventually be politically right.

Which is why I will be proud to sign the Citizen’s Basic Securities Act, which in addition to the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act that I signed last month, will raise taxes on the high-earners BACK to the levels originally imposed by the King administration and send that revenue in addition to savings gained from cutting funds for the military-industrial complex BACK to American families. It increases the size of federally guaranteed income checks BACK to what they were under President King, so that adult citizens will receive at least $800 every month to get by during these challenging times. For every child, their parent will receive at least $300 every month for their care.

The Basic Securities Act also RETURNS the mandate to the Works Progress Administration to offer every responsible, law-abiding citizen a job at a living wage. Thanks to the Labor Party, our new budget contains full funding to build the roads, bridges and power plants that our children will need to build prosperity throughout the 21st Century. The act helps poor farmers by once again providing them with the insurance and protections they need. The act instructs the National Bank to provide loans to low-income communities for students to pay for college, for mortgages on new homes and for entrepreneurs to start new enterprises. The act will also increase funding to the National Health Service and roll-back the insidious deregulation of our past leaders.

HEALTHCARE must be FOREVER regarded as one of our self-evident rights, just as Thomas Jefferson first wrote in our country's Declaration of Independence.

America cannot fall prey to doubt or mistrust. We must not fall prey to fear. The path of the righteous is never easy. We must face our challenges and accept our responsibilities. America must do what is hard, what is necessary, what is right. Here in this country, we shape our own destiny. That is what makes us the United States of America. And we have now just enshrined, as soon as I sign this bill, the core principle that every citizen who follows the rules has a right to those basic securities of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. This is an extraordinary achievement that has happened because of all of you and all of the advocates all across the country. Thank you. You are keeping hope alive!”

President Jackson paused for a moment and gave half of a hand gesture to a staff member to the side who was waiting with a Liquid Crystal Display television set. The staff person started wheeling the TV in, with a large chord following behind it.

“God bless America,” said the Reverend President, “and God bless all of our heroes, here on Earth and up above. Today I want you all to join me in wishing a relaxing Labor Day to Commander York and the rest of the Alliance cosmonauts up at Jamestown Martian Base.”

mars-base.jpg

The screen flipped on with crisp, colorful illumination, briefly showing a rocket ship insignia before fading to a live stream from three seated cosmonauts in blue fatigues, buttressed by mechanical equipment. Jesse wasted no time to speak his thoughts directly to these off world explorers as they sat with tepid smiles.

“Hello Jamestown! You are speaking with the President of the United States of America as I’m currently addressing the American people. I hope you’re reading me clearly! I wish you congratulations on your safe landing at Jamestown from the entire Atlantic-Pacific Alliance. I know I speak on behalf of all of the American people in saying that I hope you are enjoying a well-earned Labor Day on Mars!” Jesse grinned widely at the camera as he finished.

The world renown Commander York, the first woman to step on Mars, leaned towards the screen with a bright smile for the people of Earth: “Mr. President it is an honor to hear from you. We read you loud and clear. On behalf of our whole team here at Jamestown, I’d like to thank you for your leadership in ending the Cold War and for taking a giant leap for humankind towards a better world.”

Jesse Jackson smiled warmly, but inside he felt the seconds tick by. This had all been rehearsed beforehand. The LCD screen displayed a live stream from Mars, that was true, but they had practiced this exchange in advance and in fact, were each remembering lines from a script. The fifteen minutes of delay in transmissions from Earth to Mars made their play-acting for Earth television absolutely necessary.

“Thank you for your support, Commander. Now that you’ve settled in after your landing, have you taken some time to enjoy the view?”

Maho Komachi, the Japanese cosmonaut in a jet white suit, leaned towards the camera now, “Sir, after days of checking systems and taking account of our supplies here at Jamestown, we have decided to celebrate briefly after this transmission with a much-needed Yakiniku or as you say in English BAR-BE-CUE.”

The exaggerated tone and wide smile of the young cosmonaut caused laughter among the audience within the White House. President Jackson himself chuckled for a moment before pressing on.

“That sounds like an excellent way to pass the day and prepare for the days to come in your adventure on high, my brothers and sister. Thank you for your service for humanity in exploring the Red Planet. We are grateful for your bravery and sacrifice, Commander York, Captain Gershon and Lieutenant Komachi and wish you well on your mission ahead to travel to Cosmograd Martian Base.”

“Mr. President,” Captain Gershon started this time, “I promise you that I will give everything I have and more for the future of my country and for humankind. We will make it safely across the Martian Plains and Noachis Terra under my steady hand on the wheel. I swear it and hope everyone watching can be confident in our extensive training and professionalism.”

Jesse nodded as he wondered why Ralph had gone off-script. Oh well. Cosmonauts seemed to be like that. It wasn't too difficult to recover the divergence. “Thank you for saying that, Captain. We will be praying to keep you strong and alert during your arduous journey!”

“Chief,” Commander York said quickly, cutting in, “We would like to toast you from one planet to another, for taking us all on the fastest course possible to a brighter tomorrow for all humanity. We are inspired by the progress you have made at home and by the accomplishments we have yet to see. So, I, uh, have a whiskey shooter here...” The cosmonaut from Pittsburgh raised a small glass towards the camera.

“And I have my sake!” Maho called, revealing his own small, secret cup with a grin.

“And I’ve brought my London dry gin with a tonic.” Ralph admitted as he fumbled behind his leg before bringing the implements up to eye-level.

“Here's to the to the huddled masses that yearn to breathe FREE, the laborers who forged and hammered out of the Earth its IN-DUS-TREE!” The Japanese cosmonaut called first while raising his sake cup.

Nathalie continued with an improvised riff on the old American Labor Party song: “Here's to those who toil in the field to grow our food. To those who roll out our steel, our fabrics, our lumber, our motor vehicles and our rockets to space! To those who haul them across this nation! To the oil drillers! To the silicon chip makers!”

“Here's to everyone on Earth, for labors past and present.” Ralph finished, “There is dignity in life and in labor!”

With that the cosmonauts downed their drinks and shouted about their module as if no one was around. And they weren’t. President Jackson laughed and quickly signaled the staff to bring the TV set back.

“There is dignity in life and labor indeed, my brothers and sisters in America and the world...”

hosokawa.jpg

Tokyo, Japanese Empire

Prime Minister Moriho Hosokowa turned away from his office screen's broadcast of the American White House and stretched his arms up and above his head as he walked away. It was way too late for this. He should have directed his aides to give him a transcript of the exchange with President Jackson in the morning. Still, it was amazing to see a Japanese cosmonaut speaking English to a US President from Mars. The Emperor was proud of Maho, indeed. The Chrysanthemum Throne was on his side for the foreseeable future, even if his toast to Labor Day was rather slapdash. Perhaps todays cosmonauts would be tomorrow's presidents, creating a similar bridge to political power that De Gaulle, Eisenhower and Zhukov had before built for generals.

That was the world as it was today, though. You take opportunities where they present themselves. Up at the top, everyone acted with full force. He was learning the lesson of this phenomenon in his country's legislative chamber in real time!
The newly-elected leader of the Japanese National Diet yawned as he fetched a water bottle from the nearby office refrigerator, then guzzled it, a task long forgotten, now remembered. The Cold War was ending... Japan had to keep up with whatever the next century would bring. It was strange times indeed for a nation that loved tradition, but now saw its youngest citizens falling in love with the fantasies of their robots, video games and cartoons... Did that mean the Japanese nation was more prepared for the turbulent future than the rest of the world, having leapt early into a head start? Moriho had no idea.

The new leader brushed passed the folks on graveyard shift, huddled over their computer monitors, clapping away at the keyboards. He reached the room that had been allocated as a secondary bedroom for when his wife was way. Prime Minister Hosokawa opened the door and rubbed his eyes before unloosening his tie. Damn, what a country those Americans had. The soul of their nation was quite different than Japan's. How nice it would be if he could simply order his treasury to print fat stacks of cash for his people. That wasn't anywhere close to being reasonable within the understanding of Bushido... and if it wasn't acceptable to Bushido, how could officials of any political party or government bureaucrats ever get behind it? But it was definitely politically effective in America, that was for sure.

No, the Japanese would have to find some other solutions to their woes. There was a better way to address the tumbling market shares and real estate prices of the last couple years. Moriho would speak to Lieutenant Komachi tomorrow and then... he would be that much closer... to solutions...

The Prime Minister's office aide had to turn off the lights and close the door for him. Hosokawa had passed out on his bed.

Last edited:
October 1993: The Killers
burundi.jpg

Bujumbura, Burundi, FPR

Detectives Manisha and Morgen swiped away the crime scene barrier tape with the hallway entrance to the Kw-ubiriza Night Club more than once. Whichever officers had been on site first had gone to town with the yellow plastic stuff, maybe because of the crowd of passersby that wanted to take a look inside, maybe because it was the easiest job at that moment and they were delaying the hard work. As they rounded the red-lit hallway into the club’s courtyard, fountain still gurgling from an island in the center, the two homicide detectives waded through a wall of putrid scent. The dead did not want to be disturbed.

There were bodies and pools of blood everywhere. More than one crooked arm reached up out of the shallow pool of the courtyard and towards the moonless night sky. The first responders had killed the music and some of the more epilepsy-inducing strobe lights, but many of the twinkling colored club lights, blue, red, green, continued to throw a chaotic festivity across dance floors of death. The enormous plastic Christmas tree that was adjacent to the cubist waterfall had been shot to hell, perhaps when someone had hid behind it, and so plastic tree needles floated freely throughout the pool of water.

“Mother of God...” Morgen gasped, then kneeled in front of himself and vomited, almost missing his shoes.

Manisha held a gloved hand over his face and contained his own retch. As his eyes darted from side to side, taking in the muted night club, he saw no end to the nightmares. This wasn’t a random outbreak of night life violence. This was a massacre. The image of his young wife and daughter back home flashed in his mind. For some reason that helped push him forward to the nearest tangle of corpses.

They were foreigners. Two men, brown skin, nice buttoned shirts, pants. Kirghiz or Tajik? It was hard to tell. One had been rolled onto his back. It was easy to take a look at the fist. Bloodied. That one hadn’t gone down without a fight.

“You’re really going to kneel down and start putting together clues, Emile?” his partner groaned from behind.

“While I have the time to do so, yes.”

“Fuck! Okay. Get going. Do your thing.” Detective Manisha heard the other man start unpacking his camera, fumbling and swearing occasionally. Morgen wanted to do what he always did, take the pictures and the evidence as fast as possible in order to get out of the crime scene as quick as he could. Tonight, he was grateful for that urgency. His whole body screamed at him to leave this night club immediately like it never had in several years of dedicated service in the unit.

Emile moved on away from the Central Asians, passed a red sofa and towards the bar. He walked around a puddle of water and… scattered water rings that could only be drying footsteps. People had been running in all directions. Some had been bleeding. Then he came to a tall woman. She had large golden hoop earring on. The detective focused on that because it seemed like someone had kicked her head in after she had died. Clearly locals though.

White flashes from behind, his partner capturing the scene in his own way. The detective stepped around broken glass and approached the bar.

The bartender had been one of the first to die. He was still where he would have been on a Saturday night, after all, at the bar. He didn’t run. He had taken his bullet in the chest right at his workstation and had died leaning against a shattered mirror. His features, though… very distinguishing. Detective Manisha felt his stomach sink.

“Don’t you dare pour one for yourself over there!” AJ shouted from a distance as he followed the bar passed a couple more bodies, observing the faces and clothing of each, “At least not without me!”

Emile would have a banana beer at home on his balcony. Maybe two, but no more. Like every night after starting a new case. Tonight was no different. But it was disrespectful to the dead for his partner to make such a joke.

The homicide detective pushed over a couple bodies that had died face down. They had each been executed point-blank with shots to the head… systematically. No, this really wasn’t good at all. The next victim he investigated made him nearly puke… there was not much left but ash and blackened bones.

When he came back around to Detective Morgen, he said nothing. His partner took a few more shots from his camera at a darkened dance floor with blood streaks shining from the flash, then realized the silence, and dropped his device.

“Done with your tour?”

“Yes. I’m going to talk to the officers outside.”

“Hmph. Well I won’t be long. Any ideas yet?”

“Did you tally the bodies yet?”

“I asked you first. More than twenty, though.” AJ said with a slight crack in his voice.

It was the deadliest mass shooting in Burundi since… since when exactly? Maybe the deadliest. On top of all of that, the burning of some of the victims was unconscionable. Detective Emile Manisha couldn’t speak of it, but he could tell his friend the truth that mattered even more.

Emile sighed. “The dead includes more than twenty Hutu.”

After turning to face him, his partner’s eyes grew wide as it dawned further on him. His own Hutu jaw slackened.

“Th-the Arabs though...”

“Probably Kirghiz. Tourists who fought back for some reason, maybe. Wasn’t their fight. All the other bodies of the dead… not Tutsi, not Twa. All Hutu. They went after them with Kalashnikovs. Near the bar over there, some were executed on their knees...” Emile had to stop and wipe the sweat of his forehead.

Detective Morgen gasped, then his brow darkened, “Hutu Killers! Kw-ongeranya in the capital! We must call Trotskygrad immediately. These are federal crimes, Emile. They could be royalists or… terrorists... You know what this means.”

After giving him a blank look, Detective Manisha turned and left for the hallway. He’d work faster alone. There was a trail out there and pretty soon the whole republic was going to be asking him how far he’d followed it.

On his way through the lobby, someone had left a flatscreen TV on. It caught his eye. It showed an ornate stone building, surrounded by police and a crowd. No, this wasn’t the Kw-ubiriza Night Club, that was in the United States, according to the headlines. It looked like whatever happened was hours ago. Emile wondered if they would soon pay attention to this tragedy in the People’s Republic of Burundi, also. He tisked as he pressed on through the police barricade into the night.

amsterdam-avenue.jpg

New York City, New York, USA

Raul couldn’t help but pass by the Lincoln Square Synagogue as soon as he got out of the office. He went to Central Park often enough and it wasn’t far. He just couldn’t believe that someone had shot up the old Jewish place that he had always eyeballed for a bit too long during his more adventurous commutes. Was anything even left? Were there bullet holes on the walls? As he rounded the corner of Amsterdam Avenue towards it, though, a feeling of dread came over him that he hadn’t felt for a long time and he wondered if he should immediately reverse directions.

He stopped when he heard the sound of crying. It was faint, but noticeable. Was he imagining a muffled wail? Raul turned to look down an alleyway he hadn’t noticed before and for a moment wondered why no one else on the street seemed to be hearing what he did. Eager to prove his own sanity, he trudged down the alleyway for a minute, observing high brick walls and cobweb-covered windows behind dumpsters and fences. The crying continued. A child? A girl?

Rather than shout back towards the street behind him, he continued on, following the noise. He came to a downward stairway behind a gate that descended into a shadowy basement door. Trash cans and stacked pallets filled the steps. A child wept down below, a girl indeed, brown-haired, her face reddened with tears, with a green coat covering a gray dress and black boots. Was she… before Raul spoke it leaped into his mind that it was a possibility. Was she a Jewish child?

“My dear have you lost your parents? Are you hiding here?”

The girl cowered silently still partly behind the trash cans down below, mostly in the shadows. She sobbed as he waited for an answer and received none.

“Hey,” Raul said, “You don’t need to worry about me. I’m Mr. Miranda, I work at an office a couple blocks from here. I was going on a walk to the park...” She looked on at him with dark eyes. Maybe he was going on too much.

“Did something happen to you?” He asked. She must be hardly four or five.

“My mom...” the girl whimpered, “and… dad. Th-they… I w-was so scared...” She burst into tears again and seemed to crumble on the steps.

“Hold on niña. I’m here to help.” Raul stammered, but rather than go to her he flipped out his mobile phone and dialed an emergency number. He was told officers were on their way… after all, the nearest police department was just down Amsterdam at 66th. When he had been looking back at the street for a little too long, he felt a small body slam into him. He caught his balance and turned to embrace the little girl. She must have felt better after hearing him talk to the police.

The green-coated girl had to be a victim. She’d been out there all night! Once she had taken his hand, he brought her back out to the street.

“It’s going to be okay, sweetie. The police are on their way... They’ll help you find your family.” He said in his sunniest voice possible given the drumbeat of his heart in his chest. This wasn’t what he thought his walk today would be like! Oh but he was glad he was there to help.

“Thank you, Mr. Miranda.” She finally managed to say looking up at him.

He smiled. “You’re welcome. Keep your chin up, niña.”

When the cops finally approached, he announced, “I found her up the alley over there. She’s from the synagogue, I know it. Please, officers you gotta help her get back to her family!”

The woman officer nodded, “Thank you for your help, sir. We’ll take it from here.” Then she wheeled around to kneel down to the girl.

“I’m Officer Reeves. Everything is going to be okay. Can you come with us to the station? It’s not far.”

The girl nodded, her tear-stained cheeks drying, then looked up back at Raul Miranda then back at Officer Reeves to take her hand.

They left towards the station. The other office clapped Raul on the back. “We appreciate you, buddy. That's a nice thing you did. We all gotta pull together after what happened last night here." He sighed, "Boy, what a nightmare.”

“I was just on my way to pay my respects...” The office worker admitted.

“At the synagogue?” The police officer’s tightened. “Did you lose anyone there?”

“No, no. Just heard about it on the news. Never went in, but it’s a beautiful building.”

“You’re goddamn right, with some beautiful people that we’ll all be mourning for some time.” The cop watched his partner depart from his line of sight, but stayed rooted there with Raul.

“Damn… the whole neighborhood is devastated.” The officer opined as he crossed his arms. “I never thought I’d see Manhattan like this again… The hate out there, I guess it don’t take vacations... at least they caught the guy who did it.”

“Really? I hadn’t heard they found him.”

“It was just on the news! They caught him trying to board an international flight headed back east. Some regular-ass joe looking white guy. How some of us do things like this, I have no idea…”

oslo.jpg

Oslo, Kingdom of Norway

William Nygaard nearly through his door open wide enough to slam it into pieces. He had to get away from these security guards. He would have never published that damn book of Rushdie’s if he’d known that he’d be confined with buffoons for such a long time. His bath robe flailed behind him as he walked up the drive to get the mail.

Mir Aimal Kansi is from the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. They found the green card. This is clearly an international attack motivated by religion if a synagogue was targeted and you know it.” Mr. Nygaard was telling his old friend, “And if they find out he was indeed responsible for that shooting in Langley, that won’t change anything.”

He grabbed the envelopes that had been stuffed in his mailbox. It had been a while since William had left the house. Magazines… more magazines. He was trying to fold all the loose paper into something smaller that he could carry easily back inside, when he heard the blast behind him. He dropped his phone and all of his mail. It seemed annoying, really, to find out that he had been shot and blood was starting to spurt out of him.

Turning never felt so painful. By the time he saw his assailant, a pretty normal looking fellow with a small, poisonous-looking pistol, William was also falling to his knees. He looked down at the sidewalk in front of him home. There was traffic going by, the drivers hadn’t realized he had been shot. No matter, Mr. Nygaard wasn’t a screamer. He was going out now and he’d do it alone.

His killer came closer to him, above him. William looked up at the scowling man, who seemed to have gone days without shaving. “Did you do this... because of that damn book?”

The pistol handle came down onto his head as fast as a whip. His view blackened, never to return.

Last edited:
Interlude: "DOOM" (1993)
doom-1.jpg

DOOM (1993)

With Wolfenstein, Psyche Software established itself as one of the best action-game producers out there. The amazing graphics and first person environment of those games were so immersive for players that some were known to actually swerve in their seats and to be noticeably startled when ambushed by a hidden Nazi guard. Since these overwhelming successes, Psyche Software has been working hard on their encore while their hardcore fans have been whispering one word to each other: DOOM. It’s here and it was worth the wait!

DOOM casts the player as a brave Space Marine investigating disturbances at a futuristic research base. This investigation quickly becomes a pitched battle for survival as vicious demons begin to overwhelm the installation. The story that follows is slick to say the least, delivered in short cutscenes and dialogue sequences from the few survivors scattered around Mars City as well as TV ads and PDAs left behind by dead men and women containing both audio files and emails detailing what happened prior to the player’s arrival.

The story isn’t very complicated, but it’s presented in a way that you feel like you’ve been dropped into a really terrible situation with little to no idea of what’s going on. You’re dazed, confused and a bit freaked out. You weren’t a main character in the sequence of events until you shotgunned your first zombie. It almost seems like the demonic hordes are nearly as confused by your reluctance to die as you are by the unfortunate circumstances.

doom-2.jpg

You’ll always feel out of place, but by the game’s finale, the sense that you’re truly alone in facing desperate odds becomes palpable. I won’t say that I was ever terrified on a psychological level, but the creepiness and nervousness of being alone in the dark definitely gets to you.

Obviously you have to suspend your disbelief right from the beginning of the story. You could ask a bunch of questions about why you’re the only Space Marine that manages to survive or why Hell decides to throw just enough demons and spirits to annoy you without killing you, but that’s just dumb. You’re a one-man army, a Robotron Hero slaughtering monsters instead of machines (well, mostly). The point is that you win against all the odds. I only wish the final scenes gave me a little more closure.

The game is intended to be played alone, in the dark, with the sound turned up and you can take that advice to the bank. While the game is engaging whenever you play it, only in the dark with your sound system turned up do you feel Hell really sink its claws into you. The gameplay did end up slightly repetitive after several hours. I’m just not quite as into the endless shoot outs as I used to be.

doom-3.jpg

The enemies look great and are well-animated, but it’s rather easy to figure out their movement and blast them away. The artificial intelligence could have been better, especially in the earlier stages. I would have liked to see more group tactics, but perhaps the minions of Hell don’t follow orders very well. The game prefers to launch you into firefights with bigger and more menacing creatures, not more clever ones. Do try not to panic when a Hellknight tries to curbstomp you with its massive body, you can always outsmart it.

I still had fun running from room to room killing zombies and demons, but I do wish there was more variety to it, like that escort mission in the second act. More types of puzzles would have been nice. Getting through areas by locating PDAs for security codes got old fast. Aside from that, story pacing and level design were fantastic. Enemy placements were creative; sometimes a creature would spawn right behind or above you! While that will get your blood pumping, it can really suck when you don’t have the option to counter before being hit.

DOOM is a virtuoso performance. Nightmarish graphics, pulse-pounding audio and intense gameplay combine to form what is probably the best action game to date. Those squeamish about sacrilegious undertones and intense, graphic violence should probably look elsewhere. The rest of us desk hooligans will have the time of their gaming lives playing DOOM late into the ungodliest hours of the night, working up a cold sweat and slamming keyboards.

Last edited:
November 1993: The Call of the Marching Bell
bhutto.png

Karachi, Sindh, Islamic Republic of Pakistan

Shaheed was trying to fix a faulty record player in the second floor’s lounge at Al-Martaza with his family when a suited security agent approached him with a mobile phone in hand. He took the receiver and exchanged sober glances with his beautiful Benazir who was bubbly today, chatting with her siblings while wrangling the children, a syrup-reddened milk tea from a tall glass not too far away. Many children ran around the opulent room with its bookcases, photos and paintings all about the walls and the sofas and tables arrayed in the center.

Most had completed a full schedule in Lahore for the holiday and had only recently arrived at the Bhutto estate from the airport, so everyone was tired there in the city house, but Benazir kept on with boundless energy for whatever task was at hand. It warmed his heart to see her so strident and powerful in the first year of her well-deserved ministry.

The sixty-five-year old silver-haired former Prime Minister of Pakistan hoped this call wouldn’t be too much of a distraction from their evening, which he had hoped would be a purely family affair.

“Hello Muhammad. This is Zulfikar. It’s been a while, old man.” He said into the receiver.

“Old man to you! It is my pleasure to speak to you again, Shaheed.” Came Muhammad Khan Junejo’s voice in a tinny way over the phone. “I will be quick. I’ve received some bad fortune. I’m dying.”

Shaheed frowned as he took in the news. Suddenly the call transformed from one from an enemy taking advantage, to one of concern for a countryman. He dropped any intention to feint, intimidate, or misinform his former political adversary. After all, they were both Pakistani, God was great, although life was still precious and this was the Day of Muhammad Iqbal, their country’s true founder.

“What happened, Muhammad?”

“Two doctors have already given me the same diagnosis. I have leukemia. Don’t worry, I’m not suffering too much these days. They expect the disease to develop quickly, though, Shaheed, only a few more months perhaps to take my life. I may not make it to see the next year.”

What terrible news! The fact that he hadn’t heard it before this call meant that surely his former rival had made this call soon after coming to terms with his verdict. The rumors would have spread widely if that was not so. Hmm… well, men’s hearts did turn when confronted with their own mortality. Shaheed’s stomach turned with grief. Junejo had only barely just retired and now had months to enjoy his retirement. It dawned on him that he was about to become a national tragedy… and be remembered as a hero.

His silence lingered too long. Muhammad continued, “I know it’s much to ask after all that has happened. The election campaign was brutal. I know we took cheap shots where we could on your daughter. I want to say that it is easier now than it was a couple months ago to grapple that she won the election and not me. The will of the nation is with the Pakistan People’s Party, though, for now. I see it today, Shaheed, I do. I want to speak with her. I went without talking to her after she won… I regret that now. I apologize, Shaheed, for my actions against your family. I pray that God will not curse me for my- my-”

iqbal.jpg

“That’s enough, Muhammad.” He spoke into the phone. He then heard the other man gasp in tears. He heard a short wail that was then stifled. As Zulfikar’s family swirled around him in the lounge, relaxing from a day of appearances and long poem readings where they had to pose for ever-present cameras, he took in the deep sadness of a man whose life had come abruptly to an end. It was a rude disruption to say the least.

“I’m fine. You understand. I must speak with Benazir.”

“I expect you know the detail that permitted this call today will not go without consequence. I offer my sincere condolences for your misfortune, Muhammad. I never wanted this for you. As always, I appreciate your service on behalf of Pakistan and will do all I can for your family and our nation going into the future, after you’re gone. I hope to meet you again, when God permits.”

“That is kind of you to say, Shaheed. Yes, it will be interesting to see what God has in store, especially after that fool Mir Aimal Kansi reigned terror down on the Americans and Jews. I'll pray for your family's safety. Give my best to Nusrat.”

“I will. Here is Benazir. I pray for you and your family, brother, but I also pray you will not take too much of her precious time.” He said coldly.

The other man seemed to choke on the other line. Shaheed walked over to Benazir and tapped her on the shoulder. His daughter held up a finger as she listened to her sister, pausing him, then looked into his eyes, gave him a small smile and reached out for the phone. He mouthed Junejo’s named before passing it to her. All these small movements gave Muhammad enough time to offer him some parting words.

“Oh and if you ever talk to General Zia one of these days, tell him I told you my dying wish is for him to someday suck a horse’s cock.”

Shaheed Zulfikar Bhutto had many sorry thoughts for that comment, but he didn’t blame Muhammad Khan. General Zia was the worst! According to his close allies, the old tank commander had come close to making the attempt to take supreme power himself back in the day... multiple times in fact! Yet never had mustered the will for reasons only God knew. During his own ministry he had had to watch his step around that man. The proud father and old national figurehead stifled immature chuckles for tortured minutes after the imagery refused to leave his mind.

Benazir smiled at her father as she pulled the phone to her ear and then re-adjusted her headscarf around it. “Happy Iqbal Day to you, Mr. Former President! It is good to hear from you on this important day.” She launched into her careful politicking over the phone line.

Shaheed looked at his other daughter and son as they continued their former conversation for a minute, glancing in their direction. These things happened in the Bhutto family. He still had plenty of time to play with his grandchildren and there was still dessert to be had before everyone had to turn in.

Benazir seemed to plunge into a conversation with the former prime minister in which she was adamant to make her case, in this first call between them since her victorious election against his conservative coalition. Soon, though, she’d know about Junejo’s condition. Her tone would soften, knowing his life was soon to expire.

Leukemia… Shaheed sighed, then turned back in the direction of the record player he’d been fixing. Despite all the technological marvel’s of the day, that was one you couldn’t yet fix. Well, God had really only given them all one life. They had to make the best of it.

chuck-schumer.jpg

Washington DC, USA

Senator Schumer of the American Labor Party took a drink of water & then launched into his speech as soon as the floor of the Senate chamber was his. His peers boredly looked over papers and laptops from their seats while he spoke to them, but that wasn’t important. The TV cameras for C-SPAN were the focus of Chuck’s attention. Today was the day to stir up the pot, to make a statement, to rile up the American nation with his long-suffering passion for justice.

“Mr. Chairman, today is the day for this chamber to join the American people in saying ‘We have had enough.’ Today is the day to stand up and say ‘Enough is enough’ for the boundless fever for handguns. Enough to the senseless killing in every community. Day after day and night after night we see the bloody madness. Children kill children. Mothers die trying to protect their families. Parents bury children, children bury parents. You and I and every one of us in this chamber know that the American people, are sick and tired of this bloodshed.

My neighbors in Queens and Brooklyn are scared! We are all frightened for our children. We are disgusted by this orgy of handgun slaughter! Your neighbors in Ohio and California and Wisconsin and all over America; your neighbors are just like our neighbors! They want the killing to end and they want it now to end! And they are watching what we do here today.

It is said by my opponents, the opponents of this bill, ‘Guns don’t kill, people do’. People have bad instincts in them, but without guns those instincts often don’t result in killings and with guns those instincts all too often do! The people of America know that there are no magical pills to end violence. But they also have the good common sense to know that waiting periods work. And they want the simple common-sense restraint of the Brady Bill.

It’s beyond time to pass this bill! It’s more than six years that we’ve debated this bill. We’ve dragged each other through the thickets of ideological dithering over this bill. We’ve wandered through the forest of delay and while we have delayed and delayed and delayed... handguns have killed Americans by the tens of thousands. The bullets from those guns have killed people. We must not fail again today. If we fail to pass the Brady Bill again today, our failure will be cast in grief and pain and marked by the waste of more lives needlessly lost...

But there’s no reason to fail. There’s no reason to delay. The bill is good, solid, well-crafted legislation. It imposes a national five-day waiting period on handguns. It won’t take a single handgun away from law-abiding Americans. It doesn’t in any way offend the Second Amendment. It does nothing more than give our law enforcement officials a modest period of time to check our federal databases for disqualifying factors and give our citizens a handful of days to let anger and frustration subside if they have planned anything unlawful. They will use that breathing room to keep more handguns out of the hands that would abuse them. It’s that simple!

In conclusion, Mr. Chairman, history is within our grasp today. Reach out, lift your hands and grasp this moment. Pass the Brady Bill as it-”

Senator Schumer’s voice petered off as his microphone’s volume was cut.

“The time of the gentleman is expired.” The voice of the Majority Leader droned over the intercom.

“The gentleman from Florida now has the floor...”

mars-plan.png

Jamestown Base, Hellas Planitia, Mars

Oh, Commander York had almost forgot. Before she pulled down the lever to suck out the Earth air from the base, Nathalie picked up the small bell that had been left on top of the console. Commander Hartsfield had put it there, when they had landed the station back in 1988, she remembered. Hank had said he wanted it to be the last sound heard in the base until their safe return. The first man to set foot on Mars had to have his unusual interests, you know. Well, she gave it a rattle now, listened to the tinkle briefly, then grunted as she slammed the release lever for internal air pressure on the central control panel.

Auxiliary lights blinked, then turned off. She was then covered in shadow within the operations room, what they sometimes called the “bridge” of the cramped artificial habitat that was Jamestown. The red light of the dim morning sun on Mars immediately seemed to stream in more strongly from the windows, filling up more of the interior of the metal-and-concrete housing of the base. Everything was now illuminated by a dim pinkish glow. Nathalie then noticed she could feel the air pressure lower through the clenching of her suit on her body.

She whirled around as she looked for anything else that needed to go into her thermal satchel of odds and ends, which was almost entirely full. Nothing; she had already been thorough before.

The former engineer felt nostalgic in that moment of silence, suddenly, as though she was back in college, late for volleyball practice and was scrambling for her things before heading out. Her actions slowed as her eyes adapted to the shadows around her. Nathalie had already had her suit’s lights turned on, though, so she glanced down at the pages of the NASA handbook to double-check out the instructions. She pressed a couple more buttons on the console, powering down the final electrical systems for hibernation.

Then, finally, the base was dead. The silence in her suit seemed to expand. All Nathalie could hear was her own breathing, her heart beat and radio static form her suit. She looked out the window at the red Martian landscape. From her vantage point, the rusty wasteland continued on for only a short distance before dropping over the edge of a cliff into the Hellas Basin. Sand was blowing across the dimly-lit red desert towards that cliff. It looked like Southern Utah more than she ever imagined it would!

Her feet were stuck in place for minutes and she was surprised Raphael and Maho didn’t come in over her suit’s radio headset to ask her about her delay. They must be too involved in their own conversation. It was nice to feel safe in this base. She looked over its many shelves, the plastic crates, the control panels and video screens. It wasn’t much, but the NASA designers had done their best… and it had kept them safe. She wouldn’t be so confident in the rover, a newer piece of technology they hadn’t had her first time here.

Nathalie wasn’t going on a very long journey now… and alone time would very soon be a luxury. She breathed deeply in, holding the moment of solitude in the rusty, shadowy base. Her she was, Nathalie York from New Jersey, leaving Jamestown for Cosmograd now, making history on the Red Planet. Being the hero that humanity needed right now.

This was what she had wanted.

She shook her head, grinning to herself and then hopped towards the interior pressure lock. Ralph and Maho were waiting for her in the rover already. She would be taking the journey of a lifetime with two men from different countries who annoyed her in more ways than one, but always made up for their difficulties in other ways… Nathalie believed the higher-ups had chosen well. She could stay sane with this crew. Long enough, at least, to make it over to Cosmograd Base for the most expensive sleepover in human history. She had already proven she could survive almost two months in close quarters with Maho when they successfully circumnavigated Hellas Basin in their trial run of the new NASA rover.

Most likely, with Maho watching as keenly as he always did, they’d do everything by the book and the greatest problem they’d face was boredom. But no matter how tedious it got, it would be her life’s adventure. She had come too far to complain, now she would take what she could get. Commander York was here to put a win down in the history books for all the American women of all time. The spirit was ready.

So, Nathalie sucked the air out of the airlock, then opened the exterior door. She marched out into the red Martian dust towards their looming, insect-like rover.

“I hope you boys said your goodbyes,” she barked over her radio headset, “because I’m done saying mine. Let’s go to Cosmograd!"

Last edited:
January 1994: In the Eye of the Other
Echus Chasma.png

Cosmograd Martian Base, Echus Chasma, Lunae Planum, Mars

The reflective green smudge in the distance was easy to pick out along the front of the never-ending red cliffs of Echus where the People’s Federation had decided to build their first settlement on the Fourth Planet. When they finally saw it that afternoon, Maho started whooping over their suit intercom. It was hard to believe that they were coming to an end of a five-thousand kilometer trek… one that could have ended in disaster. Yet their rover, the Endurance, continued rolling on, only barely worse for the wear.

While Nathalie cheered with her crewmates in that moment and did her best to soften her tone as she began final preparations for hailing Federation coms, Commander York felt like tearing her suit off then and there. She had to get out of the suit and the rover as fast as possible. The long journey had its highs and it had its many lows… she felt weak from the long hours of stressful navigation the journey had demanded. The near-disaster of the descent into the chasma, down a rough notch along the cliffs that Ralph had called “Nailbiter Gorge”, had almost broken her inside. Her crew had used all of their emergency explosives and all of their spare tire parts… which meant if just a couple more complications had happened earlier on, when they were far from potential help, she very well could have been covered in red dust by now. Yes, the Endurance had only barely earned its name.

The others had picked up on the change in her internal weather. There was no hiding such psychological turmoil in such close quarters. She occasionally caught them gesturing to each other, lips moving behind the glass of their helmets, using a private intercom. The Commander had received more pats on her shoulders… and more hesitance and questions in response to her orders. She knew that it wouldn’t take the mere presence of Federation cosmonauts to shift her treatment and experience on Mars now. She had lost the trust of her crew, which had brought a new and deadening feeling to her burgeoning claustrophobia. It was only a matter of time before Houston started asking questions.

The green modular units of Cosmograd in the distance appeared larger and more distinct with every passing minute now. She hit the record button on the rover’s communications panel and then tapped in the initiation command for a handshake. A burst of static hit her suit’s audio system before she went live with the radio transmission.

She started to speak in English.

“Cosmograd Base, this is Commander York of the APA’s Odyssey Three Mission, reporting that we have an Estimated Time of Arrival of 1630 hours. I’d like to thank you and your administration for offering our crew refuge here on Mars as an olive branch towards all humankind. You will find that my team and I… we hope that will never be forgotten.”

Ralph smiled at her as she absorbed the impact of uttering those words, which were very likely to bounce their way up to the heavens and all over the Solar System. He pressed his visor in thought as he repeated the message in Russian. Then she followed him afterward with German, doing her best not to stutter despite earlier practice. Maho then started again Chinese, when he was cut off by an interfering transmission over the same band. It was Andrei, of course, in their native English.

“Three languages is enough for one day, comrades! You could make it here before dinner cools if you’d drive more than talk! Potoraplivat’sya!

Another voice came in, female, “Major Smitnov, there’s never a good reason for recklessness. Besides, our electric oven is fully capable of reheating our meal. Please see to it.” It had to be Colonel Ah Lam Yang, with whom they’d spoken before as soon as they’d come in range for clear radio transmissions, sometime before they departed the craterlands of Noachis Terra.

“Colonel Yang, did I hear you right? Did you say you made dinner for us?” Maho’s voice always seemed on the verge of exuberance.

“That’s right, Lieutenant.” Colonel Yang’s voice even in English was crisp and decisive. “It’s taken days of preparation for us to fully show our goodwill towards your arrival and for lasting peace for all humanity.”

“For which we are very grateful.” Nathalie piped in. “Do you have any final instructions for us, Colonel?”

“Nothing that you didn’t already receive over email, Commander. See you at 1630 hours.”

Their final approach had filled with a note of anti-climax and informality, but somehow it felt right. Maho kept cracking jokes over their private band about his sweaty balls and empty stomach, which forced her to elbow him hard in an equally sophomoric gesture. Even though she laughed back at him, her nervousness kept bubbling up. Don’t ruin an important moment for the history books!

Ralph just grinned and talked shop as he guided the Endurance closer and closer, his hands steady on the wheel as if another thousand kilometers wouldn’t have bothered him.

“I have to say I’m rather excited about this news of a meal waiting for us in Cosmograd.” He said eventually, “I’m getting tired of paste, protein bars and crackers.”

“If that’s what they serve us, you better keep smiling.” Maho jeered, “Remember, those cameras in their base are always on.”

Oh, they all knew it. The Federation was serious about broadcasting the successes of their space program. Their cosmonauts racked up millions of viewers every week and their operations were the subject of worldwide interest, much more so than the Alliance. Media industry deregulation, privacy laws and other policy precedents had precluded the development of interplanetary television shows from their side of the planet. Maybe that was yet another additional stressor for which Commander York would have to find a way to tolerate.

Mars-base.jpg

Soon, Cosmograd Martian Base was right in front of them. Well-worn tracks in the Martian dirt, stacks of unused construction materials, green paint and rounded corners defined the small human settlement, the only one on the Red Planet except for their very own Jamestown. There were several modules, the farthest from them all clearly a nuclear generator, venting fumes, cables and tubes extending in all directions like a steel octopus on the Martian flood plain. There was a bulbous cylinder with circular windows, marked with Cyrillic and Mandarin symbols with green paint. And, even more importantly, there were the five green-suited figures standing in front of a color-matching residential module, all holding long pipes in their hands.

“They’ve blocked the docking interface...” Ralph muttered.

“Huh.” Nathalie grunted, then activated her broadcast, “Colonel Yang, have you told your crew to-”

A burst of static and then a drum beat came over the radio. What was that? Music? The Endurance slowed to a stop in front of the five green cosmonauts. Jingles and jangles came over the comms… a traditional African song? What was this? Nathalie looked at Ralph in shock, begging for answers, then at Maho. They just gaped with her and looked back at the strangers, carrying their pipes.

Then, suddenly, the figures below their cockpit in the rover started moving. They turned and started dancing in a line, first to the left, then snaking around to the right. They were going right along with the beat… well, slightly off, but more coordinated than Nathalie expected could be accomplished! They bobbed their heads and shook their pipes like canes. And then the singing came over into their helmets, just one baritone-voiced man singing in a bubbling language entirely unknown to them. It successfully enchanted them and their jaws slackened.

The Federation cosmonauts stopped in a line to face their Alliance counterparts abruptly and one of the figures, gestured to them and was belted out a song with his arm stretched into the air. The Odyssey crew was mystified and continued to watch as the rover hummed. Then the group separated into smaller groups and continued to dance and the song came to an end and the drum beat picked up. The five of them shook and shuffled, some better at flaying out their arms and bobbing their heads than others. They called out together in a kind of exuberant wail and marched in place in different directions to the flow of the music.

The music slowed as the green suited figures danced on without explanation. The rhythm carried the three travelers in the cockpit of the Endurance away in their minds. They could see smiles on their counterparts' faces, within their helmets bearing the Federation star within a rose. They were having fun… here so far away from Earth in a world that could kill them all for the slightest misstep. How naïve! How ridiculous! How playful!

But... but now… Nathalie felt tears falling from her eyes and a tension leave her chest. The dance and the slow African song continued as the red dust blew upon them all for another several minutes before the figures stopped with the music and almost collapsed to the ground. She sobbed in her helmet as the three of them clapped their hands noiselessly in their insectoid rover and shouted their approval over the intercom. The tears dried and she felt awake.

Soon, laughing came over the intercoms. Their counterparts had been laughing since the dance ended apparently, the audio recorded more whimpering than anything. One of them had fallen and couldn't get up without help. Nathalie chuckled along with Ralph at that and gave him a look. Then she shot up in her seat as she heard the hatch door behind her clang shut. Maho had left the cockpit. She unbelted herself and swiveled out of the cockpit, switched to a private band as she followed him out.

“Lieutenant!” She called as the hatch door opened. No response. Vibrations came from above her. He was out. She thought about her situation again, then closed the hatch door and returned to her seat beside Ralph, he looked up at her with speechless concern. They turned to see Maho leaping toward the five figures across the red dirt. The greens turned towards him as he approached. He grasped the first outreached hand he could find. Lieutenant Komachi vigorously shook their hands then and they clapped him on the back.

The audio came then with a delay, a rattle of voices, all in English, all spoken with distinct accents, so many and so fast it was hard to keep up even in for her in her native tongue.

“An excellent show!”

“I’m glad you liked it!”

“Commander York I hope you don’t mind the performance-”

“-been so long-”

“Nice shaking!”

“-but it was Major Mutungi’s suggestion to show you his country's traditional welcome dance and we all agreed to practice for it.”

“A bare majority vote of approval!”

“It was my pleasure to share my people's custom with you. We actually reworked the choreography... a number of my fans from home helped me decide to teach only moves that Major Andrei could keep up with! My fans know how to take care of us.”

“I’m happy to be their main concern in our dance performances, Joseph.”

“Haha… but the food! We expected you earlier!”

“Okay, okay, you can park your land cruiser now, Captain Gershon! Welcome to our home, fellow travelers!”

They shuffled off towards their residential trailer in a line and Ralph uncharacteristically couldn’t stop chuckling as he did, indeed, park their trusted rover. When Nathalie finally sealed the hatch and jumped down onto the new turf, she looked behind at the machine for a minute. She placed her hand on it and looked up and over its extensive aluminum-titanium mesh alloy carapace, its prominent wheels. They had made it to safety in this cruel world. Thank God.

She turned to enter the residential trailer with Ralph after doing a quick diagnostics check after mating the rover with the station’s computer network. The green habitation module was one of two at Cosmograd, she had been briefed. It wasn’t much, but it was sturdy and the lights from inside spoke of warmth and activity.

settler-habitat.png

Inside the front room compartment Colonel Yang waited for them with Maho at her side. After salutes and a few more words of formality, they pressurized the room and Nathalie was finally able to take her helmet off. The sweet fully-oxygenated air of the room made her lungs seem to blossom as she gasped it in. She couldn't have gone another day with that thing on! The Colonel's face was grinning when her helmet finally came off. It didn't look like that was an expression that came naturally to her as she soon revealed herself very rough in her demeanor. She had thick eyebrows and never blinked.

"We've all been waiting, so let's not waste more time!" She said straight away as she turned towards the next hatch and promptly opened it with a touch of a couple switches and a swipe of a keycard she suddenly had in her hand.

"Commander, Lieutenant, Captain, please enter our humble outpost and accept our hospitality. Dinner is ready. It's not the Chinese New Year just yet, but we're going to feast now like it is."

Humble outpost it was not. As they passed through the hatch door they saw the habitat was in comparison to their own at Jamestown Base not only slightly wider and twice as long from the outside… the inside was much more spacious than they had imagined. And why not? It had been designed and manufactured by the most experienced technical facilities that the People's Federation could employ. There were more digital screens, more green or red cushions, tables, even a landscape painting with a river, a forest and a church.

Nathalie was looking up at the lights above as her crewmembers went out to shake hands with the other cosmonauts that now surrounded them, dressed in their various lounge fatigues. The illumination strips were noticeably light-blue and… well, bright!

She felt a hand clasp her on the shoulder, "Yes, we can run the lights at Sun-like levels for several hours at a time. Vitamin D supplements might be cheaper, but this feels better than taking another pill, don't you think?" Colonel Yang sidled up to her.

"It's amazing what you've done to the place! It's so much... homier than even when we've seen it on television." She said with a smile. She hoped she wouldn't have to scrounge up any ad hoc sun block. She must be as pale as a sheet from her months away from a sun lamp.

The Colonel turned to sit on a nearby chair to take off her boots and the rest of her suit. Another cosmonaut approached Nathalie, Cosmograd's second-in-command Yorman Barroso, a good-looking man who now sported a casual jacket with yellow trim. He was carrying a bundle of clothes, neatly folded.

"It's so good to see you again, Nathalie! Welcome!" He said to her, brimming with energy. That's right, they had met at that international conference in the Comoros... in 1987? When was that?

"It's been a while, Yorman!" Commander York beamed. "What a pleasure it will be to work with you, finally after all these years!"

"Let me know if you have any questions, Commander York." He said in stilted English. "We have these for you in your size if you'd prefer. We also wanted to offer you the use of our one shower before the rest of us take our turns. Hotter mist for you and less scum on the sides of the unit, you know? You must be wanting one?"

She had heard about this device. It would be amazing to try out instead of the usual regimen with the sponge and self-cleaning grog. She couldn't believe in the luxury this Cosmograd crew was already flaunting to her face. It almost was too much of her, in her emotional state, which was much like an ocean castaway finally reaching land.

This was not what she had planned and in that moment of incredulity she looked up into the corner of the residential's entrance where she had detected the glint of a camera. A shower, huh? Was this a kind gesture or a power play?

"The last thing I want to do is embarrass my husband by showering for all of Earth and Mars to see, Lieutenant Colonel." She decided to say with all the nonchalance she could muster.

He was quiet for a moment and then responded smiling, "I assure you, there have been no cameras installed in the cleansing area and those of us with our own recorders wouldn't dream of invading your privacy, Commander."

Nathalie laughed and then accepted, casting a look at Colonel Yang who looked on knowingly.

"I'm grateful for this hospitality, but this is all very extravagant, don't you think, Colonel?"

"Why yes it is, Commander." The Chinese woman affirmed with a stoic nod, "It's extravagant because it's an exceptional moment in history. We have every reason to celebrate... and find relaxation and comfort for an evening in new company. Please, call me Ah Lam."

Nathalie would. She'd also use their misting unit which was delightful and warm, if brief. The steam was a godsend for her pores. She dried her hair off with a quick-drying towel and put on the spare clothes, the same uniform that the Majors used at the base, but warm and just her size. By the time she stepped out and turned to enter the dining area, she had become accustomed to the roar of noise that came from several humans conversing all at once and thrummed through the walls. The air had filled with a sumptuous scent of cooked vegetables and it was warm as a summer day. She felt marvelous; totally rejuvenated.

They were sitting on the ground on cushions with rusty red jars in front of them, as well as assorted cups and mugs, some misshapen. She knew their names and faces from briefings, but had never met them in person. It was strange to know strangers so intimately. They sat not in a circle but asymmetrically around the room. Andrei from Belarus leaned against a ledge by the sink. Denise, who was Greek, was tucked into a corner holding her knees, her short curly hair an unabashed puff ball on her head.

"This seat's for you, Commander." Ralph said as he noticed her, pointing at a cushion and a jar. She knelt down beside him, feeling more like a dorm mate than ever coming in to talk to friends after a difficult day of classes.

"Did you like our mister?" Denise asked from off to the side, her eyes beaming.

Nathalie nodded. "It's a… very optimal use of water! I liked it."

Denise smiled and gestured to the clay jar in front of her. Nathalie noticed a pair of implements by it… a crude fork and spoon. She picked the fork up and observed it closely.

The woman chuckled and said something in Greek, then back to English, "Yes, we made those here! We have more than just a kiln! But it's what's inside the pot that's even better."

Nathalie was in awe as she set down the fork and opened the jar's lid. She felt like a kid as she saw a kind of ratatouille inside and the scent wafted into her face with a burst of heat: cooked spinach, tomatoes, potatoes, onions and who knows what else all, all in layers and slathered with a sauce she couldn't identify. It smelled as thought it had been sent to her from heaven's kitchen.

claypot.jpg

A voice bellowed over the rest of the conversations, “No time for prayers before a feast like this, huh, Americansky?”

She looked up at Andrei who leered at her then chuckled as Nathalie clasped the lid back down on the jar, worried about breaking some social norm. Ah Lam looked at her, suddenly finishing a conversation with Joseph Mubundi and waved it off.

“That's Commander to you, Andrei. We can all pray on our own time in our own way. Let’s finally have a taste of your recipe after all our work. But first! For our health!” She grasped a metallic bottle and started pouring a dark liquid from it into metal cups that she started handing out.

“Salud!” Yelled Major Mubundi as he downed the drink. Nathalie thought it was liquor until she brought a cup given to her towards her own lips. It was cold and bitter, but not alcoholic at all.

“Cold barley tea...” Denise said to her side, “The Colonel is always making it.”

“Thank you! It’s delicious!”

Where did they get the barley? She’d prefer water herself, but didn’t want to ask as the informal meal proceeded. Lids came off of jars without a word of tradition and they dug out the cooked vegetables. After months of processed food, the clay-baked ratatouille was so rich in flavor it brought tears to her eyes.

The eight of them lounged there in that small dining area, knees and elbows against one another, pressing up against cushions, and plunged into small talk about their respective biographies. Maho spoke Mandarin to Ah Lam for a long conversation only they seemed to be following. Nathalie learned all about the Mubundi family and couldn’t believe how many of his cousins names he could drop. Denise left to take a shower, then was followed by Ralph. The humidity increased all around them.

“So there’s no itinerary? Are we going to take a tour of your greenhouse?” Nathalie asked Yorman after an hour had gone by.

“Greenhouse? All of Cosmograd is a 'green house'!" The Venezuelan joked and she rolled her eyes.

"Oh there will be time for inspections and so much more, Commander... plenty of time.” He said.

“It’s amazing how much has been built here. I just can't wait to get acquainted with it all and to learn from how the LAF does things."

“Yes… it’s been a lot of work, as you must know.”

Nathalie’s face softened as she peered up at a camera in the corner pointed straight at her. “Is this what people want to watch, then, Lieutenant Colonel? They want to see us get to know each other and enjoy a hot meal?”

The Venezuelan stared at her then laughed from his belly, drawing the attention of the others for a moment. “I suppose so! And I do too!”

She squirmed at his reaction, uncomfortable under the gaze of the camera. It was grinding to her to act like someone of her rank all of a sudden. Commander York was still in charge of a mission and this… it felt too familial and too open at the same time. They hadn’t trained her on this.

“Well, it was a very delicious hot meal, I have to say.” She smiled, recovering the energy of the conversation as the others continued with previous conversations of questions and answers in various languages, mainly English, but also frequent Russian and German.

“Just you wait until I finish my brine evaporator.” Yorman went on. “We barely have any salt reserves left and you don’t want to use what you can find outside. I have a design that utilizes the vacuum itself that can mass produce as much table salt as Martians can eat.”

“Quiet please!” Colonel Yang suddenly barked as she rose and started deploying a screen out of a hidden section of the dining room. “Let’s turn on the broadcast from home. Our new friends haven’t been able to receive any news video transmissions, as you remember.”

Andrei booed, then grimaced and walked off and away into the next compartment with his arms folded. Nathalie felt his footsteps in the metal floor as he marched off, for whatever reason. She was certainly curious what had been happening back home. They had mostly just heard about that terrible blizzard… she hoped her family back in New Jersey was doing alright.

The screen buzzed on under Ah Lam’s technical finesse and in full audio and color they started receiving a news broadcast from the Federation in the Russian language. Nathalie’s Russian was rusty, but she followed along. She hoped to polish it up over the months ahead, especially her German.

Then they went silent in the small, musty room as images of dead men, women and children filled the screen. Why did that happen? They turned to Yorman. Did he know anything about this? No answers came, just questions as they listened on to the report. A collective weight fell upon them as they realized what was happening back on Earth, although their stomachs were full and they were warm on a lifeless planet of freezing temperatures. Were they explorers or were they refugees?

The wind howled outside the base as the sun began to set on Mars. Darkness fell quickly. Yet the lights from the windows still glimmered for kilometers and kilometers across the empty chasma.

zapatista8.png

The First Declaration from the Lacandon Jungle: Today We Say ‘Enough is Enough!’ (Ya Basta!)

TO THE PEOPLE OF MEXICO:

MEXICAN BROTHERS AND SISTERS:

We are a product of 500 years of struggle: first against slavery, then during the War of Independence against Spain led by insurgents, then to avoid being absorbed by North American imperialism, then to promulgate our constitution and expel the French empire from our soil, and later the dictatorship of Porfirio Diaz denied us the just application of the Reform laws and the people rebelled and leaders like Villa and Zapata emerged, poor men just like us.

We have been denied the most elemental preparation so that they can use us as cannon fodder and pillage the wealth of our country. They don’t care that we have nothing, absolutely nothing, not even a roof over our heads: no land, no work, no health care, no food nor education. Nor are we able to freely and democratically elect our political representatives, nor is there independence from foreigners, nor is there peace nor justice for ourselves and our children.

But today, we say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

We are the inheritors of the true builders of our nation. The dispossessed, we are millions and we thereby call upon our brothers and sisters to join this struggle as the only path, so that we will not die of hunger due to the insatiable ambition of a dictatorship of seventy years led by a clique of traitors that represent the most conservative and sell-out groups. They are the same ones that opposed Hidalgo and Morelos, the same ones that betrayed Vicente Guerrero, the same ones that sold half our country to the foreign invader, the same ones that imported a European prince to rule our country, the same ones that formed the “scientific” Porfirsta dictatorship, the same ones that opposed the Petroleum Expropriation, the same ones that massacred the railroad workers in 1958 and the students in 1968, the same ones the today take everything from us, absolutely everything.

demandas-300x300.jpg

To prevent the continuation of the above and as our last hope, after having tried to utilize all legal means based on our Constitution, we go to our Constitution, to apply Article 39 which says:

National Sovereignty essentially and originally resides in the people. All political power emanates from the people and its purpose is to help the people. The people have, at all times, the inalienable right to alter or modify their form of government.”

Therefore, according to our constitution, we declare the following to the Mexican federal army, the pillar of the Mexican dictatorship that we suffer from, monopolized by a one-party system and led by Carlos Salinas de Gortari, the maximum and illegitimate federal executive that today holds power in the capital.

According to this Declaration of War, we ask that other powers of the nation advocate to restore the legitimacy and the stability of the nation by overthrowing the dictator. We ask for free elections monitored by international observers.

We also ask that international organizations and the International Red Cross watch over and regulate our battles, so that our efforts are carried out while still protecting our civilian population. We declare now and always that we are subject to the Geneva Accord, forming the EZLN as our fighting arm of our liberation struggle.

We have the Mexican people on our side, we have the beloved tri-colored flag highly respected by our insurgent fighters. We use black and red in our uniform as our symbol of our working people on strike.

Our flag carries the following letters, “EZLN” for the Zapatista National Liberation Army, and we always carry our flag into combat.

We refuse any effort to disgrace our just cause by accusing us of being drug traffickers, drug guerrillas, thieves, or other names that might by used by our enemies. Our struggle follows the constitution which is held high by its call for justice and equality.

Therefore, according to this declaration of war, we give our military forces, the EZLN, the following orders:

First: Advance to the capital Mexico City, overcoming the Mexican federal army, protecting in our advance the civilian population and immediately permitting the people in the liberated area the right to freely and democratically elect their own administrative authorities.

Second: Respect the lives of our prisoners and turn over all wounded to the International Red Cross.

Third: Initiate summary judgments against all soldiers of the Mexican federal army and the political police that have received training or have been paid by foreigners, accused of being traitors to our country, and against all those that have repressed and treated badly the civil population and robbed or stolen from or attempted crimes against the good of the people.

Fourth: Form new troops with all those Mexicans that show their interest in joining our struggle, including those that, being enemy soldiers, turn themselves in without having fought against us, and promise to take orders from the General Command of the Zapatista National Liberation Army.

Fifth: We ask for the unconditional surrender of the enemy’s headquarters before we begin any combat to avoid any loss of lives.

Sixth: Suspend the robbery of our natural resources in the areas controlled by the EZLN.

To the People of Mexico: We men and women, full and free, are conscious that the war that we have declared is our last resort, but is also a just one. The dictators are applying an undeclared genocidal war against our people and have been for many years. Therefore we ask for your participation, your decision to support this plan that struggles for work, land, housing, food, health care, education, independence, freedom, democracy, justice and peace. We declare that we will not stop fighting until the basic demands of our people have been met by forming a government of our country that is free and democratic.

JOIN THE INSURGENT FORCES OF THE ZAPATISTA NATIONAL LIBERATION ARMY.

The General Command of the EZLN

zapatista10.png

Last edited:
Wouldn't the Martian structures be buried to protect against dust and radiation?
You are absolutely right, thanks for mentioning the obvious, traveller76 :)

I had thought about including a line to show what they have planned, but then decided against it. Let's just say they had to ship most of their module structures to Mars to be virtually ready-to-operate at landing. The labor that has to go into covering these structures with enough material to protect from radiation is significant, especially because bricks & cement is the most optimal technology to use at this point of colonization. They haven't gotten around to taking these precautions just yet... consider that the modules also have a basic amount of shielding, as do their suits.

Also, I guess this is a spoiler, but you'll find out more about why they decided to build Cosmograd Base adjacent to the enormous cliffs of the Echus Chasma :cool:

Feel free to let me know how you're liking the thread so far and if you have any more questions that makes it fun! I look forward to those Likes of yours regardless.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
You are absolutely right, thanks for mentioning the obvious, traveller76 :)

I had thought about including a line to show what they have planned, but then decided against it. Let's just say they had to ship most of their module structures to Mars to be virtually ready-to-operate at landing. The labor that has to go into covering these structures with enough material to protect from radiation is significant, especially because bricks & cement is the most optimal technology to use at this point of colonization. They haven't gotten around to taking these precautions just yet... consider that the modules also have a basic amount of shielding, as do their suits.

Also, I guess this is a spoiler, but you'll find out more about why they decided to build Cosmograd Base adjacent to the enormous cliffs of the Echus Chasma :cool:

Feel free to let me know how you're liking the thread so far and if you have any more questions that makes it fun! I look forward to those Likes of yours regardless.

Thanks for reading.
If they have the kiln then I see them making bricks in the future. Maybe even tunnel into the cliffs?

Map: The Alliance, the Federation & the Non-Aligned at the End of the Cold War (1993)
Alliance-Fed-1993.png

International Collective Defense Organizations at the End of the Cold War
Blue = The Atlantic-Pacific Alliance
Green = The Federation of People's Republics
White = The Non-Aligned Movement of Independent Countries​

Last edited:
What wars had occurred during the Cold War? What was the third indochina war? And what’s different in America? Civil unrest and such.
The starting date of the Third Indochinese War is debatable since Red Vietnam had occupied territories of both Cambodia and Laos since the end of the Second Indochinese War in 1969, and armed hostilities continued in the interbellum. The Khmer Rouge of Cambodia brought their country into the Popular Federation in 1968 and petitioned the Federal Assembly repeatedly over the years with increasing alarm over the threat of further invasion.

By 1975, it was clear to the FPR that Red Vietnam intended to conquer their member-republic, Cambodia, and had already made inroads to doing the same with neutral Laos. Furthermore, the pacifist leadership of US President Martin King Jr. had successfully begun to cool off hostile foreign relations. Chairman Alexei Kosygin of the Popular Federation declared war on Vietnam's revolutionary junta in 1976 after several unrelated international journalists published video camera footage to television outlets of crimes against humanity taking place in the Indochinese borderlands, causing a worldwide media scandal.

Full mobilization of the People's Army took years and ending the military threat posed by the Communists took many years. While the Vietnamese fought hard from their jungles and were judged at the time by many to have become the best guerilla fighting force on the planet, the Federation had massive supply lines into the country and a virtually endless number of drafted soldiers, to say nothing of their quickly advancing military technology. The ultimate Indochinese War came to an end in 1983 with the full capitulation of the Communist Party of Vietnam. The peace treaty committed Vietnam to the same "reparatory participation" as a member-republic in the Popular Federation that had been obligated to the German republics in the settlement of the Great Eurasian War... a requirement that would be mandatory for 50 years.

Last edited: