As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

The Country Bears (1975 TV Series)
@ian5786
Gulf+Western bought Sega in 1969. Back then, Sega was in the pinball machine business.

The Country Bears
Bears02.jpg

The Country Bear Jamboree's animated counterpart follows the Marc Davis designs (left).

Launched on September 6, 1975 on SBC.

Production Companies
Walt Disney Productions
Grantray-Lawrence

Character Designs by
Marc Davis

Voices
Phil Harris as Henry
Tex Ritter as Big Al
Cheryl Poole as Trixie
Jimmy Stoneman as Liver Lips
Patsy Stoneman as Teddi Berra
Randy Sparks as Ernest
Bill Cole as Wendell

The Five Bear Rugs
Dallas McKennon as Zeke
Pat Buttram as Zeb
Andy Devine as Ted
Randy Sparks as Fred
Peter Renaday as Tennessee​

I remeamber oldnavy that you said that Walt Disney is devopling a respect for japaness flim and ainme. Do you think that Walt would try to expand his empire by buying a jappanesse film or aine studio

Since disneyland tokyo won't be bulit does anybody like the idea of the land beign used to build a theme park based on jappnesed culture made by a constioum for studio ghibli, Toho flims and shone jump

I have two things to say as of recent...

1: Out of all the outcomes for Grantray-Lawrence Animation, partnering with Disney has got to be both the most unlikely and the best outcome for their survival, and yet, it paid off big time for both companies. That reminds me, does Disney outright own Grantray-Lawrence, or is it a lucrative partnership between the two?

2: So, if I may get this straightened out, not only does Disney give Fox something to do after the buyout, but it happens to be a new frontier for Walt Sr.? Well, in that case, might I suggest a couple of ideas for Fox to start with on their anime career?

Due to disseny seeking close relations with jappnesse media companies why not have a section dedcated to jappnesse film at the this world verison of disney hollywood studios

Famous Studios History
Here is a brief history of Famous Studios as of 1975.

1924:
- Fleischer Studios formed in New York City.

1929:
- Terrytoons formed in New Rochelle.
- Walter Lantz Productions formed in Hollywood.

1933:
- Fleischer releases Popeye the Sailor, originally part of the Betty Boop short series.

1935/36:
- Fleischer moves its headquarters from New York to Miami.

1939:
- Fleischer releases its first full length feature Gulliver's Travels.

1940:
- Lantz releases Knock Knock, an Andy Panda short with the first appearance of Woody Woodpecker.

1941:
- Fleischer releases its second feature Superman.

1942:
- Fleischer and Terrytoons merge to form Fleischer-Terry based in Miami.
- Mighty Mouse makes his first appearance in Mouse of Tomorrow.

1944:
- Fleischer-Terry releases the full length feature Batman.

1946:
- Lantz releases The Tales of Brer Rabbit, his first theatrical film.

1948:
- Fleischer-Terry releases Superman Conquers Hate.

1949:
- Lantz releases Hans Brinker, which nearly bankrupted his studio. Since then, the film has gained more popularity through television airings.

1953:
- Walter Lantz sells his pre-1953 cartoon library to MCA. The transaction facilitated the merger of Lantz's cartoon studio with Fleischer-Terry to form Famous Studios with most operations moving from Miami to Los Angeles.
- Chilly Willy becomes the first short produced under the Famous Studios name. A year later, Tex Avery would come over from 20th Century Fox to refine the character's design.

1959:
- Famous Studios launches its first TV series The Adventures of Tintin in primetime on ABC.

1962:
- Famous Studios sold to MCA, now the parent company of Lantz's former distributor Universal Pictures.
- From 1953 until 1961, Famous's product had been distributed by RKO Radio Pictures.

1968:
- Famous Studios releases Yellow Submarine in association with Apple Films.

1969:
- After fifteen on-and-off years of working together, Grantray-Lawrence and Famous Studios agreed to part ways. Lantz had farmed out several Woody Woodpecker and Chilly Willy cartoons to GL during the mid to late Fifties. GL also helped out with the production of Tintin and Yellow Submarine. After the breakup, Grantray-Lawrence would partner with Walt Disney on several projects, beginning with Hansel and Gretel (1971).

1974-75:
- Famous Studios faced its biggest controversy yet when The Nancy Drew Mystery Hour faced tremendous backlash over repetitive fanservice.

I have two things to say as of recent...

1: Out of all the outcomes for Grantray-Lawrence Animation, partnering with Disney has got to be both the most unlikely and the best outcome for their survival, and yet, it paid off big time for both companies. That reminds me, does Disney outright own Grantray-Lawrence, or is it a lucrative partnership between the two?

2: So, if I may get this straightened out, not only does Disney give Fox something to do after the buyout, but it happens to be a new frontier for Walt Sr.? Well, in that case, might I suggest a couple of ideas for Fox to start with on their anime career?

Grant Simmons passed away in August of 1972 at the age of only 59. Ray Patterson is in the process of selling GL to Walt after accepting a job offer from Hanna-Barbera. In the meantime, GL will receive additional animation credit for Beauty and the Beast, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, The Rescuers, Pete's Dragon and Rapunzel. After that, I'm not so sure yet.

After the purchase of Fox was complete, George Lucas immediately petitioned Walt Sr to have Star Wars start with the Fox logo. Principal photography begins in March of '76. As for anime, I'd like to hear those ideas. As for Fox's leadership, Alan Ladd, Jr. might stay for another year or two, after that, either Walt Jr. or Ron Miller could take over.

I know that oldnavy said that walt sr wanted to talk george lucuas into making star wars animated but he fialed in this timeline. So I assume wlat will still want to try his hand at scifi animaiton. Any one got any ideas for wlat sic fi project. I got a few ideas but I am tired so I will wait into tommorow to post them

Grant Simmons passed away in August of 1972 at the age of only 59. Ray Patterson is in the process of selling GL to Walt after accepting a job offer from Hanna-Barbera. In the meantime, GL will receive additional animation credit for Beauty and the Beast, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, The Rescuers, Pete's Dragon and Rapunzel. After that, I'm not so sure yet.

After the purchase of Fox was complete, George Lucas immediately petitioned Walt Sr to have Star Wars start with the Fox logo. Principal photography begins in March of '76. As for anime, I'd like to hear those ideas. As for Fox's leadership, Alan Ladd, Jr. might stay for another year or two, after that, either Walt Jr. or Ron Miller could take over.
Considering how long the partnership between GL and Walt Disney has been, I'm surprised that they weren't already purchased.

I'm with Lucas on having Star Wars begin with the Fox logo. I mean, SW isn't SW without that fanfare, and Fox isn't Fox without George Lucas.

I have three ideas for anime dubs. One, Urusei Yatsura. Two, Kimba the White Lion. Three, Voltron. A trio of famous hits, all being handled by a division of Walt Disney Sr.'s legendary studio. What could go wrong with that?

I’d love to see Disney dub Kimba. That way any hypothetical Lion King movie can wear the obvious Kimba influence on its sleeve instead of looking like Disney plagiarized the concept.