As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

Given how:
A: The Brave Little Toaster is treated as an official Disney movie.
B: Song of the South isn't a Disney film.
C: The music from that movie is preserved for what is admittedly a better feature.
D: The success of Fox's many anime dubs has led people to be somewhat more accepting of other races and cultures.

Could the works of Hyperion, at least its animation division, be lauded as Disney works from Day 1?
Considering Hyperion pretty much being made as an excuse to do away with TBLT ITTL, and given the circumstances of the company, I could very well kill to see Fairy Tales for Every Child as an exclusive for The Disney Channel. Or even the Saturday Morning or weekday afternoon blocks on TTL's Fox. That place would be just as good to air it.

Entertainment News for October 1987
Naysayers may cry "fluke," but a strong inaugural Saturday morning lineup brings legitimacy to Walt Disney, Jr.'s pet project; The Fox Network.
- TV Guide

Famous Studios' Mighty Mouse revival breathes new life into Saturday Morning programming, which had been a toy-based assembly line for the last few years.
- The New York Times

Great Adventure has been sold to Funtime, Inc., parent company of Geauga Lake outside of Cleveland, Wyandot Lake outside of Columbus, Ohio, and Darien Lake in Upstate New York.
- Newark Star-Ledger

Bally finds itself in a feud with Ringling Bros' parent company Feld Entertainment over the future of the Circus World amusement park. Bally bought the struggling park with the intent to remove the circus theming, but the objections raised by Feld are now gnawing at the Chicago-based conglomerate.
- The Orlando Sentinel

A spokesperson for Gulf+Western says the parent company of Paramount Pictures, Sega and Simon and Schuster plans to rebrand as Paramount Communications following the spin-offs of the conglomerate's remaining non-entertainment assets.
- USA Today

The Board of Governors of the United States Football League voted unanimously to change the league's name to the World League of American Football in anticipation of its expansion into Europe. The name change will take effect in the Spring of 1989 when the league welcomes four new teams for the first-ever Transatlantic campaign.
- Bob Ley; ESPN's SportsCenter

Naysayers may cry "fluke," but a strong inaugural Saturday morning lineup brings legitimacy to Walt Disney, Jr.'s pet project; The Fox Network.
- TV Guide
Famous Studios' Mighty Mouse revival breathes new life into Saturday Morning programming, which had been a toy-based assembly line for the last few years.
- The New York Times

Great Adventure has been sold to Funtime, Inc., parent company of Geauga Lake outside of Cleveland, Wyandot Lake outside of Columbus, Ohio, and Darien Lake in Upstate New York.
- Newark Star-Ledger
Bally finds itself in a feud with Ringling Bros' parent company Feld Entertainment over the future of the Circus World amusement park. Bally bought the struggling park with the intent to remove the circus theming, but the objections raised by Feld are now gnawing at the Chicago-based conglomerate.
- The Orlando Sentinel

A spokesperson for Gulf+Western says the parent company of Paramount Pictures, Sega and Simon and Schuster plans to rebrand as Paramount Communications following the spin-offs of the conglomerate's remaining non-entertainment assets.
- USA Today
These please me to no end.

On the one hand, Bally gets some competition. On the other hand, I'm on Feld's side on Circus World. I mean, it has the word "Circus" right in the name! Why the heck would you think that removing the heart, soul, mind, body, and spirit of a theme park is any sort of a good idea?

So, with Paramount owning Sega, Disney owning Atari, and Hasbro being in a lucrative deal with Nintendo, one that managed to give Mario and Samus a lucrative cartoon each thanks to their previous partnership with TriStar and Nelvana, will WB get into the gaming business? If they do, my money's on a partnership with Namco to make Looney Tunes games and other IP-based titles from their catalog.

These please me to no end.

On the one hand, Bally gets some competition. On the other hand, I'm on Feld's side on Circus World. I mean, it has the word "Circus" right in the name! Why the heck would you think that removing the heart, soul, mind, body, and spirit of a theme park is any sort of a good idea?

So, with Paramount owning Sega, Disney owning Atari, and Hasbro being in a lucrative deal with Nintendo, one that managed to give Mario and Samus a lucrative cartoon each thanks to their previous partnership with TriStar and Nelvana, will WB get into the gaming business? If they do, my money's on a partnership with Namco to make Looney Tunes games and other IP-based titles from their catalog.
Namco was a big support of the pc eninge aka the TurboGrafx-16 which a succes in japan but not in America. Do you think a WB Namco alliance would led to success for PC engine/ TurboGrafx-16 in America

TurboGrafx-16​

Namco was a big support of the pc eninge aka the TurboGrafx-16 which a succes in japan but not in America. Do you think a WB Namco alliance would led to success for PC engine/ TurboGrafx-16 in America

TurboGrafx-16

Why not? I think they should take the chance and at least try to beat the Mountain and the Castle at their own game. Even if the Castle has been adorned with spotlights around the perimeter for years at this point.

TurboGrafx-16

Why not? I think they should take the chance and at least try to beat the Mountain and the Castle at their own game. Even if the Castle has been adorned with spotlights around the perimeter for years at this point.

How come Namco didn't support TurboGrafx-16 in North America IOTL?

How come Namco didn't support TurboGrafx-16 in North America IOTL?
Well, according to Wikipedia, Namco actually had their console in the works that would have been as powerful as the Super NES. But the release of the Mega Drive in 89 caused Namco to pull back on the reigns. As for the PC Engine itself, while Namco would be a good start for third party support they also need to get Capcom, Konami, EA, and Acclaim to make titles for their console. Honestly, NEC's American branch needs like a Tom Kalinske to pull this off.

Edit: I just realized that there is someone NEC can lure away to handle their North American operations: Howard Philips.

Last edited:

PNWKing

Banned
When will the Mega Drive/Genesis first come out in America? I'd say it should come out in 1989. I also think it should be called the Sega Summit.

When will the Mega Drive/Genesis first come out in America? I'd say it should come out in 1989. I also think it should be called the Sega Summit.
Ah, yes! And if the Genesis still becomes Sega's most popular and/or best selling console, the older gamers could call it the Peak of their career!

Ah, yes! And if the Genesis still becomes Sega's most popular and/or best selling console, the older gamers could call it the Peak of their career!

Yes, it'll still come out in '89.

However, I don't have a timeline yet for the Super NES, the TurboGrafix-16 and whatever ends up being the name for Atari's 16 bit.

Oliver and Company (1987 Film)
Oliver and Company
oliverandcompany.jpg

Released by Walt Disney Pictures on November 20, 1987

Directed by
George Scribner

Story by
Vance Gerry
Mike Gabriel
Rob Minkoff
Jim Mitchell
Chris Bailey
Kirk Wise
Dave Michener
Roger Allers
Gary Trousdale
Kevin Lima
Michael Cedeno
Pete Young
Leon Joosen

Based on Oliver Twist by
Charles Dickens

Yup, an Eighties twist on Oliver Twist.

Voices
Joey Lawrence as Oliver
Billy Joel as the Dodger
Dom DeLuise as Fagin
Cheech Marin as Tito
Roscoe Lee Browne as Francis
Richard Mulligan as Einstein
Sheryl Lee Ralph as Rita
Bette Midler as Georgette
Natalie Gregory as Jenny Foxworth
Frank Welker as Old Louie
Robert Loggia as Sykes
Terry Jones as Winston
Larry Fishburne as Roscoe
Keith David as DeSoto

Musical score by
Joe Raposo

Songs by
Joe Raposo
Howard Ashman
Charlie Midnight
Billy Joel​

I take it with all the work Joe Raposo's been getting ITTL, I presume his death from non-Hodgkin lymphoma will be butterflied away ITTL. If so, I really liked his music, so I wonder what the future holds in store for Raposo beyond '89 ITTL.

I take it with all the work Joe Raposo's been getting ITTL, I presume his death from non-Hodgkin lymphoma will be butterflied away ITTL. If so, I really liked his music, so I wonder what the future holds in store for Raposo beyond '89 ITTL.

Yeah, that's pretty much been butterflied.

IOTL he was only 51, right? That's super, super young, right?

However, I don't have a timeline yet for the Super NES, the TurboGrafix-16 and whatever ends up being the name for Atari's 16 bit.
A short list of suggestions for the Atari 16-bit console:
Atari 10400 (if they keep up the number sequence; at the very least the numbers might be an internal placeholder)
Atari Sierra (from an OTL scrapped 16-bit PC project)
Atari Snowcap (from a scrapped 16-bit OS they were trying to develop)
Atari Wildcat (if you want to start that convention to eventually lead to the Lynx and Jaguar)

A short list of suggestions for the Atari 16-bit console:
Atari 10400 (if they keep up the number sequence; at the very least the numbers might be an internal placeholder)
Atari Sierra (from an OTL scrapped 16-bit PC project)
Atari Snowcap (from a scrapped 16-bit OS they were trying to develop)
Atari Wildcat (if you want to start that convention to eventually lead to the Lynx and Jaguar)
Of these, the Atari Snowcap makes the least sense. After all, Atari isn't the one that's owned by Paramount. Maybe as an alternative name for the Genesis, under the title of the Sega Snowcap. It rolls off the tongue good enough.