As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

Yes, although my question would be better suited for during or after the destination...

Would Hanna-Barbera try to revive Huckleberry Hound for a new generation if the movie becomes successful?
I'd just have has a character on the very yogi show of the 80's like yogis treasure hunt and yogi's gang

Ziggy's Gift (1983 TV Special)
@TheFaultsofAlts @Goldwind2
The Huck's Landing film is about a different Huck. Sorry guys.

Ziggy's Gift
movie-buffs-forever-dvd-ziggy-s-gift-dvd-1982-13127324827736_grande.jpg

Based on the newspaper comic strip created by
Tom Wilson

Aired on
November 25, 1983

Production Company
Richard Williams Animation

Distributor
Paramount Television

Original Network
ABC (US)
BBC 2 (UK)
CBC (Canada)

Music by
Harry Nilsson

Animators
Daniel Abbott [1]
Tom Sito
Sue Kroyer
Bob Camp
Tom Roth
Terry Lennon
Barry Temple
Bob Treat
Lenord Robinson
Jeanette Flores [1]
Elizabeth Mills [1]
Loretta Barton [1]
Lance Miller [1]
Heidi Erickson [1]
Eric Yates [1]
Jeffrey Carpenter [1]

[1] Fictional artist.​

@TheFaultsofAlts @Goldwind2
The Huck's Landing film is about a different Huck. Sorry guys.​
I know that it's about a different Huck, hence the Disney logo usage. I just thought that, through the process of correlation and causation, HB would think to make their own Huck a star again if the film becomes a big enough hit. You know, sort of like how Video Brinquedo and Goodtimes made their money back in the 90's and 2000's, but with actual talent and money and resources going into it.

PNWKing

Banned
So I've been thinking about this lately. How about Sean Astin as Huck, with a fictional actor playing Tom Sawyer. Nipsey Russell can play Jim, and possibly Molly Ringwald as Becky Tharp. Rush can supply the soundtrack, considering they did a song called "Tom Sawyer."

Mickey's Christmas Carol and Huck's Landing (1983 Double Bill)
Mickey's Christmas Carol
mickey%2B1.jpg

Released on December 13, 1983

Production Company
Walt Disney Pictures

Distributor
Buena Vista Distribution Co., Inc.

Directed by
Burny Mattinson

Story
Burny Mattinson
Tony L. Marino
Ed Gombert
Don Griffith
Alan Young
Alan Dinehart

Voices
Alan Young as Scrooge McDuck/Ebeneezer Scrooge
Clarence Nash as Donald Duck/Master Fred
Wayne Allwine as Mickey Mouse/Bob Cratchit
Hal Smith as Goofy/Jacob Marley
Will Ryan as Willie the Giant/The Ghost of Christmas Present and Pete/The Ghost of Christmas Future
Dick Billingsley as Morty Fieldmouse/Tiny Tim
Eddie Carroll as Jiminy Cricket/The Ghost of Christmas Past

Animators
Glen Keane
Mark Henn
Ed Gombert
Mark Henn
David Block
Randy Cartwright
Ted Kierscey
Mark Dindal
Jeff Howard
Jack Boyd
Retta Davidson
Barry Temple
Tom Ferriter
Walt Stanchfield
Jane Baer
Sylvia Mattinson
Matthew O'Callaghan
Susan I. Craig
Toby Shelton

Huck's Landing
Hucks-Landing-Cel-Set-up600.jpg

The River Pirates, who serve as Huck's allies in the film. Voices for the trio are provided by Dom DeLuise, Paul Winchell and Henry Gibson.

Released on December 13, 1983

Production Company
Walt Disney Pictures

Distributor
Buena Vista Distribution Co., Inc.

Directed by
Don Bluth

Executive Producers
Roy E. Disney
Wolfgang Reitherman

Based on the characters created by
Mark Twain

Story
Vance Gerry
Floyd Norman
Pete Young
Steve Hulett

Music
James Horner

Songs
"How Do You Do"
"The Laughing Place"
"Son of Man"
"Tom and Huck"
Written by Joe Raposo
Pop versions performed by Rush

As an infant, Huck Finn is the lone survivor of a riverboat disaster. Ol' Mudd, a crotchety turtle with a heart of gold, notices the abandoned infant and from there, Huck is basically raised by talking animals. When he sees another riverboat coming ashore, Huck builds himself a raft to reconnect with humans in the nearby town of St. Petersburg, Missouri.

Instead of recycling Injun Joe from the original Twain books, the producers created a whole new villain, a man simply calling himself the Baron. It is later revealed that it was the Baron who destroyed the Dixie Belle, the riverboat referenced at the beginning. When the protagonist and antagonist come face to face, a chase through river country ensues. With the help of his animal buddies, Huck triumphs over his would-be assassin and bids farewell to his friends on his way back to St. Petersburg.

Voices
Pat Buttram as Ol' Mudd
Donald Sutherland as The Baron
Sean Astin as Huck Finn
Greg Rhodes [1] as Tom Sawyer
Molly Ringwald as Becky Thatcher
Nipsey Russell as Jim
June Foray as Aunt Polly
Dom DeLuise, Paul Winchell and Henry Gibson as the River Pirates (above)

[1] Fictional actor

hucks-landing-ol-mudd-original.jpg

Ol' Mudd, the turtle voiced by Pat Buttram

Songs
"How Do You Do"
"The Laughing Place"
"Son of Man"
"Tom and Huck"
Written by Joe Raposo
Pop versions performed by Rush​
The fact that the other two Song of the South songs, as well as one of the Tarzan songs, are still made, albeit under different contexts compared to their OTL places and times, pleases me quite so much!

Reactions to Disney's 1983 double bill
If you didn't shed a tear when Mickey put the cane on Tiny Tim's grave, chances are you're a sociopath.
- The San Diego Evening Tribune

Adults are lying to themselves if they claim they weren't terrified of Donald Sutherland's Baron in Huck's Landing.
- The Columbus Dispatch

Huck's Landing
is a much needed break from the dark and grim n' gritty fare that Disney cranked out in recent years.
- Roger Ebert

People will be humming "How Do You Do" for years to come. Write that down and underline it.
- Gene Siskel

I wish I had Junior's phone number because I want a Huck's Landing ride at the parks immediately!!!!
- The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

The only sad scene is the flashback of the Dixie Belle sinking and going up in smoke while the infant Huck Finn floats away in the basket a la Moses.
- The San Francisco Chronicle

Now I'm left wondering if the Dixie Belle was the derelict riverboat we saw in The Rescuers a few years ago.
- Disneydom fanzine.

If I could have one scene on loop, it would have to be when The Baron gets bludgeoned with a frying pan and a rolling pin by Huck's animal buddies.
- The Charlotte Observer

1. The way I see it the Baron sounds like a more villainous version of Mark Twain's character of "the King*" from the original story and at least visually resembles the Coachman from Pinocchio. Which would add to the catharsis of seeing him get his ass kicked.
  2. Is there any possibility of Walt Sr doing one last movie as Mickey's grandfather?
  3. There was a plan to tie the Haunted Mansion into a pirate-themed renovation of Tom Sawyer's Island. Could that be possible or at least saved for a future theme park?

I'm surprised that we haven't mentioned in a while, where will the North American rights for Dr. Slump lands, considering we are about to enter 1984.

1. The way I see it the Baron sounds like a more villainous version of Mark Twain's character of "the King*" from the original story and at least visually resembles the Coachman from Pinocchio. Which would add to the catharsis of seeing him get his ass kicked.
  2. Is there any possibility of Walt Sr doing one last movie as Mickey's grandfather?
  3. There was a plan to tie the Haunted Mansion into a pirate-themed renovation of Tom Sawyer's Island. Could that be possible or at least saved for a future theme park?
To be fair, the Baron is pretty much the Coachman if he had the stereotypical riverboat gambler look.

It is possible, but I don't have a timetable for that yet.

The Lewis and Clark ride at Riverfront Square could be repurposed into an attraction based on Huck's Landing if necessary.

I'm surprised that we haven't mentioned in a while, where will the North American rights for Dr. Slump lands, considering we are about to enter 1984.

Dr. Slump is headed to Touchstone.

To be fair, the Baron is pretty much the Coachman if he had the stereotypical riverboat gambler look.

It is possible, but I don't have a timetable for that yet.

The Lewis and Clark ride at Riverfront Square could be repurposed into an attraction based on Huck's Landing if necessary.

Dr. Slump is headed to Touchstone.
1: So, the Coachman ISN'T a stereotypical gambler?

2: Maybe we can have a different premise for the Mickey's 60th Birthday special, in which Mickey and Oswald, who is hopefully played by Rob Paulsen, take a cross-country road trip to see Uncle Walt after all these years? If you can't tell that I just pulled that out of my stuffed Eeyore doll, then I'd be surprised.

3: That depends on whether or not it needs a revamp, because I could actually see why a retheming to fit that movie would work.

4: Ah! So it IS headed to Hanna-Barbera, albeit under a different context! Might I ask which channel gets the dub?

1: So, the Coachman ISN'T a stereotypical gambler?

2: Maybe we can have a different premise for the Mickey's 60th Birthday special, in which Mickey and Oswald, who is hopefully played by Rob Paulsen, take a cross-country road trip to see Uncle Walt after all these years? If you can't tell that I just pulled that out of my stuffed Eeyore doll, then I'd be surprised.

3: That depends on whether or not it needs a revamp, because I could actually see why a retheming to fit that movie would work.

4: Ah! So it IS headed to Hanna-Barbera, albeit under a different context! Might I ask which channel gets the dub?

So basically, a two hour special edition of the anthology series?

Yes. Dr. Slump goes to HB. The channel that could get the dub is either USA, MTV or Showtime.

Maybe we can bring the 1993 Oswald The Lucky Rabbit film over from the original American Magic thread.

If I can find the right butterflies to make that possible then yeah.

So basically, a two hour special edition of the anthology series?

Yes. Dr. Slump goes to HB. The channel that could get the dub is either USA, MTV or Showtime.
As a matter of fact, yes. Now that I think of it, the only way you could do it as a special episode is to make it two hours long.

I'd have Dr. Slump go to Showtime, preferably to fan the flames of war between it and HBO. USA would be my next choice, while MTV getting it would mean an earlier departure from the music videos.

@Mitch!

Then, there’s the curious case of the rumored decision to turn down an offer to adapt Edgar Rice Burroughs’ Tarzan books into an animated movie, as well. If the songs Phil Collins wrote for it need to be relocated, are there plans to release another theatrical adaptation, with them included?

"Son of Man" has already been repurposed for Huck's Landing.

I have no idea what to do with the remaining songs.

@Mitch!

Then, there’s the curious case of the rumored decision to turn down an offer to adapt Edgar Rice Burroughs’ Tarzan books into an animated movie, as well. If the songs Phil Collins wrote for it need to be relocated, are there plans to release another theatrical adaptation, with them included?

"Son of Man" has already been repurposed for Huck's Landing.

I have no idea what to do with the remaining songs.
Maybe we can have the blues brothers write the songs for the next Disney fairytale movie