As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

Why do you not like either outcome
Because I think that you shouldn't tamper with Bob Hoskins as Eddie Valiant. His role as Mario in the 1993 movie however? THAT role can be tampered with for sure! If the movie even gets made, that is.

Still, it's just my own opinion. You don't have to take it seriously.

Because I think that you shouldn't tamper with Bob Hoskins as Eddie Valiant. His role as Mario in the 1993 movie however? THAT role can be tampered with for sure! If the movie even gets made, that is.

Still, it's just my own opinion. You don't have to take it seriously.
Very well either of my first choises can be teddy vaillant

Because I think that you shouldn't tamper with Bob Hoskins as Eddie Valiant.
I agree.
His role as Mario in the 1993 movie however? THAT role can be tampered with for sure! If the movie even gets made, that is.
Actually, if you know about the behind-the-scenes trainwreck that the production of that movie was, it's pretty easy to have the movie turn out actually good.
Which is a shame, because the cast was great and if the movie had been good (which if they'd kept with the earlier drafts of the script it could've been), they'd've fit the characters really well.
This video explains it better than I can:
And here's the site that archives the older drafts:
https://www.smbmovie.com/SMBArchive/preproduction/script.htm

I looked at the older drafts, and given what little of an explanation 80's kids gathered as to how Mario and Luigi wound up in the Mushroom Kingdom, most especially the intro to The Super Mario Bros.(Not the Super Show intro, but the intro to the actual animated series.), I actually think that the Oz-esque storyline they considered at first would have fit it better than an alternate universe where men evolved from reptiles.

Think about it! Just change Hildy's name to Peach, or even Toadstool if you want to be more faithful to the English translation, make Mario a bit more joyful, and perhaps find a way to hint at Wart or the Koopalings for a potential sequel, and the movie could be as successful as the OTL final rendition of Sonic the Hedgehog!

Heck, considering how OTL!Disney was banking on the movie to let Nintendo into the Disney Parks, with a plot like its first known draft, after the changes I suggested, we could possibly be riding through Slippy Toad's Wild Ride while chomping down on some delicious banana smoothies from DK Island by now!

More like "Daisy" or "Rosalina" since Hildy was supposed to be Luigi's crush rather than Mario's...
Although "Peach Toadstool" could be a "royal name" rather than her given name.
With these two suggestions in mind, how about we have Daisy as her given name, and Peach as her royal name? I mean, seeing as though Daisy was made to recreate Peach when Super Mario Land was in development, I feel like that would be an accurate portrayal of both characters.

Twice Upon a Time (1983 Film)
Twice Upon a Time
MV5BYWVjZWZlZmYtNGYzNy00ZmQ4LThjMTEtM2QwZjUzZmM4NWY1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDcwMzkyMTU@._V1_.jpg

Released on December 16, 1983

Production Companies
Korty Films
Lucasfilm, Ltd.
The Ladd Company

Distributor
Grand Diamond Pictures

Directed by
John Korty
Charles Swenson

Executive Producers
George Lucas
Alan Ladd, Jr.
Roger Corman

Voices
Lorenzo Music as Ralph, the All-Purpose Animal
Julie Payne as Flora Fauna
Marshall Efron as Synonamess Botch
Hamilton Camp as Greensleeves
James Cranna as Rod Rescueman / Scuzzbopper / Frivoli Foreman
Paul Frees as Narrator / Chef of State / Judges / Bailiff
Judith Kahan as The Fairy Godmother

Despite George Lucas and Roger Corman sharing teaming up to make Twice Upon a Time, their combined efforts weren't enough to lift this film past Huck's Landing at the box office. Yet somehow, despite the poor receipts, the Academy decided to give the film a nomination for Best Animated Feature. Still, the failure of this film and The Right Stuff threatened to sink The Ladd Company in a tsunami of debt. To complicate things further, George Lucas's divorce with Marcia Griffin has corporate raiders salivating over the dream of carving up George's filmmaking empire piece by piece.​

Woody Woodpecker: Behind the Laughter (1983 Film)
The Woody Woodpecker Story

Released on December 23, 1983

Production Company
Famous Studios

Distributor
Universal Pictures

Cartoon Voices
Paul Reubens as Woody Woodpecker
Frank Welker as Andy Panda
Alan Oppenheimer as Chilly Willy
Daws Butler as Wally Walrus
Dallas McKennon as Buzz Buzzard
Russi Taylor as Winnie Woodpecker
Corey Burton as Dinky Doodle

Woody's laugh provided by Mel Blanc.

Live Action scenes directed by
Steve Barron

Cartoon sequences directed by
Alex Lovy

Executive Producers
Walter Lantz
Al Brodax
Ralph Bakshi

Notable animation crew members
Eric Goldberg
Eddie Fitzgerald
Tom Minton
Buzz Dixon
John Lasseter
Kent Butterworth

Behind the Laughter is a mockumentary that begins with famed journalist Walter Cronkite visiting the Universal lot to conduct a fake interview with Walter Lantz. The viewers learn that Woody and fellow toons Andy Panda and Chilly Willy were once a trio that got along great. We later find out that over time, Woody becomes greedy and begins to hog the spotlight from the other two, prompting a breakup of the trio as they struggle to navigate a rapidly changing animation landscape. Buzz Buzzard and Wally Walrus were once worthy adversaries to Woody, but they were no match for Woody's greatest villain; himself.​

Corey Burton as Dinky Doodle

Behind the Laughter is a mockumentary that begins with famed journalist Walter Cronkite visiting the Universal lot to conduct a fake interview with Walter Lantz. The viewers learn that Woody and fellow toons Andy Panda and Chilly Willy were once a trio that got along great. We later find out that over time, Woody became greedy and began to hog the spotlight from the other two, prompting a breakup of the trio as they struggle to navigate a rapidly changing animation landscape. Buzz Buzzard and Wally Walrus were once worthy adversaries to Woody, but they were no match for Woody's greatest villain; himself.​
Thank you for considering my random cockamanie idea for a standalone Woody Woodpecker film!

Although, I didn't expect Dinky Doodle to make an appearance.

PNWKing

Banned
Alice Roosevelt had a snake named Emily Spinach. When I heard that, my first thought was "that sounds like the name of a kids' book character". So why not? I would have Rosemary Wells (Max & Ruby, Timothy Goes To School) write the books, and have either Nelvana (producer of all OTL adaptations of her work) or CINAR (OTL producer of Arthur) make a cartoon adaptation.

Alice Roosevelt had a snake named Emily Spinach. When I heard that, my first thought was "that sounds like the name of a kids' book character". So why not? I would have Rosemary Wells (Max & Ruby, Timothy Goes To School) write the books, and have either Nelvana (producer of all OTL adaptations of her work) or CINAR (OTL producer of Arthur) make a cartoon adaptation.
That is so random and unexpected that I just have to agree with it!

More anime is always a good thing IMHO, provided the translation is done well and the story isn't butchered in localization.
*cough*SonicX*coughcough*
At least the OTL English dub of Sonic X gave us the best voice for Knuckles and the second-best voice for Robotnik/Eggman.
I agree.

Actually, if you know about the behind-the-scenes trainwreck that the production of that movie was, it's pretty easy to have the movie turn out actually good.
Which is a shame, because the cast was great and if the movie had been good (which if they'd kept with the earlier drafts of the script it could've been), they'd've fit the characters really well.
This video explains it better than I can:
And here's the site that archives the older drafts:
https://www.smbmovie.com/SMBArchive/preproduction/script.htm

I looked at the older drafts, and given what little of an explanation 80's kids gathered as to how Mario and Luigi wound up in the Mushroom Kingdom, most especially the intro to The Super Mario Bros.(Not the Super Show intro, but the intro to the actual animated series.), I actually think that the Oz-esque storyline they considered at first would have fit it better than an alternate universe where men evolved from reptiles.

Think about it! Just change Hildy's name to Peach, or even Toadstool if you want to be more faithful to the English translation, make Mario a bit more joyful, and perhaps find a way to hint at Wart or the Koopalings for a potential sequel, and the movie could be as successful as the OTL final rendition of Sonic the Hedgehog!

Heck, considering how OTL!Disney was banking on the movie to let Nintendo into the Disney Parks, with a plot like its first known draft, after the changes I suggested, we could possibly be riding through Slippy Toad's Wild Ride while chomping down on some delicious banana smoothies from DK Island by now!
I definitely would keep the OTL cast mostly as-is. I do like the idea of an Oz-like setting closer to the games.

I'd have Mario start out pretty curmudgeonly. He effectively had to raise Luigi on his own. But after they get transported to the Mushroom Kingdom he starts to lighten up in the fantasy kingdom. He should let out at least one joyful "Yahoo!".

Nintendoland brought to you by Disney sounds like a great idea.
More like "Daisy" or "Rosalina" since Hildy was supposed to be Luigi's crush rather than Mario's...
Although "Peach Toadstool" could be a "royal name" rather than her given name.
With these two suggestions in mind, how about we have Daisy as her given name, and Peach as her royal name? I mean, seeing as though Daisy was made to recreate Peach when Super Mario Land was in development, I feel like that would be an accurate portrayal of both characters.
I definitely like the idea of Luigi getting the girl instead of Mario himself.

So she'd be born Daisy and be known as Princess Peach Toadstool.

FYI, the name "Rosalina" wouldn't even be considered since that character would even exist until fourteen years after the Mario movie dropped in OTL.
That is so random and unexpected that I just have to agree with it!
I'm picturing a cartoon snake wearing a sweater and big eyeglasses. Just for the maximum cute factor.

I definitely would keep the OTL cast mostly as-is. I do like the idea of an Oz-like setting closer to the games.

I'd have Mario start out pretty curmudgeonly. He effectively had to raise Luigi on his own. But after they get transported to the Mushroom Kingdom he starts to lighten up in the fantasy kingdom. He should let out at least one joyful "Yahoo!".

Nintendoland brought to you by Disney sounds like a great idea.

I definitely like the idea of Luigi getting the girl instead of Mario himself.

So she'd be born Daisy and be known as Princess Peach Toadstool.

I'm picturing a cartoon snake wearing a sweater and big eyeglasses. Just for the maximum cute factor.
Sounds like a fair compromise to me.

Yes!

Considering how beautiful Super Nintendo World looks at Universal Studios, it would be amazing if the Imagineers manage to match that in terms of quality.

Well, if Quasimodo can skip on getting the girl, barring that particular sequel, then having Mario not get a kiss at the end sounds fair by comparison.

Exactly! That's what I was suggesting.

Considering the author and either of the animation studios, I think that we should have her wear a tutu, despite not having any legs, for even more cuteness. Kind of like how Franklin can tie shoes despite not wearing shoes.

At least the OTL English dub of Sonic X gave us the best voice for Knuckles
While I love Dan Green as an actor, I actually think his Knuckles (especially during Sonic X in particular) wasn't the best; it was a bit too commanding and authoritative for someone who's spent his whole life alone until getting dragged into an adventure by outsiders...
and the second-best voice for Robotnik/Eggman.
Out of curiousity, who's your first-best?
it would be amazing if the Imagineers manage to match that in terms of quality.
I don't think that's even a question, Disney's Imagineers have never lacked for quality.
....At least when a given attraction was new...just how long it takes for whatever they come up with to get dated is another matter entirely...and to be fair, a lot of the old stuff just needs a good refurbishing and a fresh coat of paint.

I don't think that's even a question, Disney's Imagineers have never lacked for quality.
....At least when a given attraction was new...just how long it takes for whatever they come up with to get dated is another matter entirely...and to be fair, a lot of the old stuff just needs a good refurbishing and a fresh coat of paint.
Well, that gives me a good deal of hope for the quality of a Nintendo-themed expansion to a Disney Park.