As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

PNWKing

Banned
I also personally think that Metromedia should buy New Line Cinema and possibly Eclipse Comics and a cartoon studio.

I'm drawing a blank on that, but considering his OTL casting choices, I think that Mark Hamil would actually do a fine job playing Ataru in the dubbed version.
Having Luke Skywalker, The Joker AND Ataru on Mark Hamil's resume ITTL sounds amazing.

On the other hand, I've already suggested to ON1988 that Rob Paulsen could play Ataru, probably using this voice for the luckless womanizer.

I just remembered something. Remember when That's So Raven and Hannah Montana were turned into animated series by Hanna-Barbera in the original American Magic? Well, I had a bit of a brainstorm...

What if Peter Engel, the creator of Saved by the Bell, ends up pitching his idea to Hanna-Barbera under the tandem of Henson and Eisner?

I don't know about you, but I'd be intrigued about the implications of that scenario.

PNWKing

Banned
Nelvana should have a chance too, how about some animated series based on public domain works or even on 20th century children's books.

PNWKing

Banned
Actually, I wonder if Nelvana in an attempt to compete with Hanna-Barbera's Saved by the Bell would end up interviewing the producers of a short film called "Ida Makes A Movie" that was filmed on DeGrassi Street in Toronto.

Actually, I wonder if Nelvana in an attempt to compete with Hanna-Barbera's Saved by the Bell would end up interviewing the producers of a short film called "Ida Makes A Movie" that was filmed on DeGrassi Street in Toronto.
Hmmm... DeGrassi being made by Nelvana up against Saved by the Bell being made by Hanna-Barbera?

Let me tell you something, kid. If those two shows spawn fanbases as big as they would in our timeline, things can and will get bloody in the animation community.

PNWKing

Banned
I feel like New Line Cinema has a high probability of being sold soon. Time, Rupert Murdoch, Virgin, Metromedia, and Bally could all be possible buyers.

I'd honestly go with Fox and Grantray-Lawrence dubbing UY.

I mean, Fox might need another anime to dub. The Urusei Yatsura anime launched in Japan in late-1981, making it ripe for the company to dub it. And, if that dub is successful, we might see English dubs of Ranma 1/2 and InuYasha handled by a subsidiary of Disney.

I'm just saying, after all.
I actually did have the idea for some animes to get straight up adapted depending on if TTL is interested in borrow my Lupin III idea here:

Original anime was in 1969.

However, my specific idea for Lupin would be an entirely new series made specifically for western audiences. Originally, I thought of it being in the 90s.
After combing through your pitch, I think that the cast is the best part of it. However, that isn't to say that the idea of a Western adaptation of Lupin III is bad. I mean, we got Inspector Gadget out of a failed futuristic spinoff of Lupin, for crying out loud!

In any case, here's what I'd do. I would get the cast that you considered, especially Billy West as Arsene Lupin, and put it into an English dub of the classic anime. That way, the iconic artstyle and humor can be preserved, the voice talents can be utilized creatively, and the remakes of certain episodes would just be dubs of those episodes, thus cutting out the middleman entirely of the likelihood of recycling plot scenarios.

After combing through your pitch, I think that the cast is the best part of it. However, that isn't to say that the idea of a Western adaptation of Lupin III is bad. I mean, we got Inspector Gadget out of a failed futuristic spinoff of Lupin, for crying out loud!

In any case, here's what I'd do. I would get the cast that you considered, especially Billy West as Arsene Lupin, and put it into an English dub of the classic anime. That way, the iconic artstyle and humor can be preserved, the voice talents can be utilized creatively, and the remakes of certain episodes would just be dubs of those episodes, thus cutting out the middleman entirely of the likelihood of recycling plot scenarios.
Good idea, However, there's the matter of copyright issues with the Maurice Leblanc (Creator of the Arsène Lupin stories that inspired Monkey Punch to create Lupin The Third) estate, So "Rupan" and/or "Wolf" might be used as alternate names for Lupin III himself for this dub/adaptation.

Last edited:

I was indeed thinking my same cast, including West then Perlman as Jigen, would indeed be dubbing Red Jacket - the series that got me into Lupin in the first place.

Good idea, However, there's the matter of copyright issues with the Maurice Leblanc (Creator of the Arsène Lupin stories that inspired Monkey Punch to create Lupin The Third) estate, So "Rupan" and/or "Wolf" might be used as alternate names for Lupin III himself for this dub/adaptation.
What if the dub is made by a company big enough to pay a 50% royalty deal with the estate, so that the characters' names don't have to be changed in the localization? Say, Warner Bros.?

I mean, considering how they dubbed The Adventures of Hutch the Honeybee and bought the North American rights to Speed Racer ITTL, I think the folks at WB would be itching at the cuff to dub a well-remembered anime for a change. Why, if it's successful enough, a Lupin III dub by WB would even be the catalyst for further popular anime shows to get proper dubs in the States!

What if the dub is made by a company big enough to pay a 50% royalty deal with the estate, so that the characters' names don't have to be changed in the localization? Say, Warner Bros.?

I mean, considering how they dubbed The Adventures of Hutch the Honeybee and bought the North American rights to Speed Racer ITTL, I think the folks at WB would be itching at the cuff to dub a well-remembered anime for a change. Why, if it's successful enough, a Lupin III dub by WB would even be the catalyst for further popular anime shows to get proper dubs in the States!
I even thought of my TV show idea including several films made between TMS and Warner.

PNWKing

Banned
A bit of a brainstorm. First, is Candice Bergen going to have another kid? For that matter, will Nelvana be bought out, and if so by who, I see Westinghouse, Wometco, CBS, Metromedia, Gulf & Western, Times-Mirror, Time, Warner, and Turner all being possible bidders?