As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

Going a bit off-topic, but is Ashita no Joe gonna be dubbed? I always thought that Ashita no Joe would be perfect for american audiences. Not just because of Rocky and the 80s being in the middle of the golden age of boxing, but also because it would be the first Anime shown in north america featuring serious subject matters such as alcoholism, the effects of a harsh training regimen, The struggles of the lower class, Concussions and depression. Plus, it Being on HBO would be ideal, not only because HBO has been the home of boxing for a long time, but also because HBO would treat the show with the same respect that it has in japan.

Ran? James Earl Jones or Orson Welles.
pfft what
vlcsnap-2021-01-19-17h23m48s283.png

OK. Jess Harnell, Harry Shearer, Phil Hartman, John Belushi, or Sylvester Stallone.
I assume you're talking about who should voice Rei instead of Ran, but if not, than...
image0.jpg

and besides, I already suggested to ON88 that Phil Hartman (whose murder should hopefully be butterflied away like it was in the original American Magic thread) voice Shutaro Mendo...

Here's who I have in mind for Lum Invader:

- Laura Branigan
- Hazel O'Connor
- Geena Davis
- Darlanne Fluegel
- Rosanna Arquette
- Tracey Ullman
- June Angela

Here's who I have in mind for Lum Invader:

- Laura Branigan
- Hazel O'Connor
- Geena Davis
- Darlanne Fluegel
- Rosanna Arquette
- Tracey Ullman
- June Angela
Unfortunately, I don't see any of these actresses being that good a fit for Lum. Hence my suggestion of Lauren Tom.

Also, thoughts on changing the relationship between Lum and Ten to siblings?

Here are the current 20th Television closing variants as of 1982...

#1 (Circa 1965)

#2 (Slightly faster variant introduced prior to the sale to Disney)

The "Pooh" variant, with the jingle lifted from the last notes of Buddy Baker's score for Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day, originally inserted by Junior as a practical joke on the 1976-77 season of M*A*S*H.

I guess this'll be Lauren Tom's debut role?
Well, Lauren Tom is the voice of Numbuh Three in Codename: Kids Next Door. So that would help put it into context.

Unfortunately, I agree with Andrew Boyd on your casting choices for Lum. Maybe Tracey Ullman could work if you really think about it, but that's about all the praise you'll be getting for your picks.

Oh, and if it's not too much trouble in the long run, can we have the Fox dub of UY contain Janice Kawaye's first voiceover role as a background character? Sure, that doesn't make sense in terms of how old she would be, but it makes up in spades for that with her Japanese fluency and roles like XJ9 and Ami Onuki.

Oh, and if it's not too much trouble in the long run, can we have the Fox dub of UY contain Janice Kawaye's first voiceover role as a background character? Sure, that doesn't make sense in terms of how old she would be, but it makes up in spades for that with her Japanese fluency and roles like XJ9 and Ami Onuki.
Well, considering the fact that she is more active in anime dubs nowadays, I don't see why not.

Well, considering the fact that she is more active in anime dubs nowadays, I don't see why not.
That, and also because her acting cred goes as far back as 1984, maybe even 1983. I don't know about you, but why not let a Japanese actress who's best known for American voices make her initial mark on a Disney dub of an esteemed anime masterpiece?

Urusei Yatsura (1982 English Dub)
Urusei Yatsura
A90-2564301703.1532094219.jpg

English dub produced by 20th Century-Fox Television
Distributed by Buena Vista Pay-TV Distribution Co., Inc.

Launched in the UK on September 11, 1982 on BBC 2.
Launched in the US on March 11, 1983 on Home Box Office (HBO).

English Voices
Lauren Tom (debut) as Lum Invader
Rob Paulsen as Ataru
Cam Clarke as Mendou
Phil Hartman as Rei
Russi Taylor as Ten
June Angela as Shinobu
Mako as Cherry
April Winchell as Sakura
Rip Torn as Mr. Invader​

Urusei Yatsura
A90-2564301703.1532094219.jpg

English dub produced by 20th Century-Fox Television
Distributed by Buena Vista Pay-TV Distribution Co., Inc.

Launched in the UK on September 11, 1982 on BBC 2.
Launched in the US on March 11, 1983 on Home Box Office (HBO).

English Voices
Lauren Tom (debut) as Lum Invader
Rob Paulsen as Ataru
Cam Clarke as Mendou
Phil Hartman as Rei
Russi Taylor as Ten
June Angela as Shinobu
Mako as Cherry
April Winchell as Sakura
Rip Torn as Mr. Invader​
First off, this was worth the wait.

Second, how did people react to this dub?

Reaction to Urusei Yatsura
First off, this was worth the wait.

Second, how did people react to this dub?

"BBC 2 have a hit on their hands with Urusei."
- The Radio Times

"Once again, 20th Century-Fox proves why nobody can touch them when it comes to English dubs of Japanese cartoons."
- TV Guide

"Urusei Yatsura becomes HBO's biggest ratings draw to date; Curiosity a major factor in the show's appeal."
- The New York Times

"Warner is going to have to step up when they release its English dub of Speed Racer in Fall of '83."
- Newsweek

"Walt Disney Telecommunications and Non-Theatrical Company moves quickly to rush Fox's Urusei Yatsura to videocassette and videodisc after reports of bootleg tapes recorded from HBO airings being circulated at comic book shops in nine major cities."
- Variety

"Fox's dominance of the English dubbed anime market continues while Universal's dub of Dog of Flanders received generally negative reviews."
- The Hollywood Reporter

"BBC 2 have a hit on their hands with Urusei."
- The Radio Times

"Once again, 20th Century-Fox proves why nobody can touch them when it comes to English dubs of Japanese cartoons."
- TV Guide

"Urusei Yatsura becomes HBO's biggest ratings draw to date; Curiosity a major factor in the show's appeal."
- The New York Times

"Warner is going to have to step up when they release its English dub of Speed Racer in Fall of '83."
- Newsweek

"Walt Disney Telecommunications and Non-Theatrical Company moves quickly to rush Fox's Urusei Yatsura to videocassette and videodisc after reports of bootleg tapes recorded from HBO airings being circulated at comic book shops in nine major cities."
- Variety

"Fox's dominance of the English dubbed anime market continues while Universal's dub of Dog of Flanders received generally negative reviews."
- The Hollywood Reporter
When I asked for reactions, I didn't expect for it to be THIS good!

I just realized something...

If Disney and their big powerhouse 20th Century Fox have collaborated to bring us Star Wars and E.T. AND Urusei Yatsura, how did science fiction nerds of the past and present react to all of that? I'm completely curious about this!

I just realized something...

If Disney and their big powerhouse 20th Century Fox have collaborated to bring us Star Wars and E.T. AND Urusei Yatsura, how did science fiction nerds of the past and present react to all of that? I'm completely curious about this!

I think once The Simpsons reach airwaves, regardless of who ends up producing that series, that could be something Comic Book Guy could make a reference to.