Toho Co, Ltd.
Hammer Films

Directed by
Steven Spielberg

Screenplay by
Lawrence Kasdan

Music by
John Williams

The film begins with New York Times investigative reporter Caitlin Stewart (Candice Bergen) interviewing President Lewis (Charlton Heston) about the ongoing recovery efforts on the Pacific Coast. Suddenly, without warning, Nessie makes a surprise visit along the Potomac River. The monster's rampage through the United States tests the limits of the Pentagon's power. But the big shocker of the film is when Caitlin discovers the truth that it was Lewis who deliberately allowed Nessie to freely ravage the nation. Nessie slips away off the coast of San Francisco, leaving the viewers without any idea if Nessie will come back to wreak more havoc.

Nessie 2 opened to mostly positive reviews and box office receipts. The success came in spite of criticism from Kaiju movie buffs that the film forwent the classic campiness of the genre in favor of trying to portray Nessie as a creature feeling threatened by the human characters.​

Nessie 2
Nessie-1035x400.jpg

Released on Easter Weekend 1979.

Production Companies
Toho Co, Ltd.
Hammer Films

Directed by
Steven Spielberg

Screenplay by
Lawrence Kasdan

Music by
John Williams

The film begins with New York Times investigative reporter Caitlin Stewart (Candice Bergen) interviewing President Lewis (Charlton Heston) about the ongoing recovery efforts on the Pacific Coast. Suddenly, without warning, Nessie makes a surprise visit along the Potomac River. The monster's rampage through the United States tests the limits of the Pentagon's power. But the big shocker of the film is when Caitlin discovers the truth that it was Lewis who deliberately allowed Nessie to freely ravage the nation. Nessie slips away off the coast of San Francisco, leaving the viewers without any idea if Nessie will come back to wreak more havoc.

Nessie 2 opened to mostly positive reviews and box office receipts. The success came in spite of criticism from Kaiju movie buffs that the film forwent the classic campiness of the genre in favor of trying to portray Nessie as a creature feeling threatened by the human characters.​

Nessie 3 seems like a certainty now. If so then it might be an idea to end the trilogy on a kaiju battle with another monster for Nessie to fight, maybe has the monster return 'home' to Scotland. Maybe the reveal of an offspring?

With this success, I'm certain when Toho puts out the rights for an American made Godzilla movie, Universal will likely get it, not Tri-Star, due to how well things have worked on Nessie here.

Also with that, maybe when we get Godzilla 1985 here, we get Universal getting distribution rights for the film and hopefully has some of the more hokey elements made in the English version dropped and played more straight (butterfly the infamous Dr. Pepper product placement). Either way, Nessie has set the ground for a more easier return for Godzilla here.

Last edited:
Nessie 3 seems like a certainty now. If so then it might be an idea to end the trilogy on a kaiju battle with another monster for Nessie to fight, maybe has the monster return 'home' to Scotland. Maybe the reveal of an offspring?

With this success, I'm certain when Toho puts out the rights for an American made Godzilla movie, Universal will likely get it, not Tri-Star, due to how well things have worked on Nessie here.

Also with that, maybe when we get Godzilla 1985 here, we get Universal getting distribution rights for the film and hopefully has some of the more hokey elements made in the English version dropped and played more straight (butterfly the infamous Dr. Pepper product placement). Either way, Nessie has set the ground for a more easier return for Godzilla here.

Yeah, I was stuck on the story. That's why it took me a bit to get Nessie 2 posted. Not sure what year Nessie 3 will come out to be honest.

Yeah, I was stuck on the story. That's why it took me a bit to get Nessie 2 posted. Not sure what year Nessie 3 will come out to be honest.

Perhaps 1982-83 let's say? Still think if we go for a two kaiju affair, the Welsh dragon that I mentioned before would be one for Nessie to fight.

Alien (1979 Film)
Xenomorph
(Known in some territories as Alien)
gettyimages-607392378.jpg

Released on May 25, 1979

Distributor
Grand Diamond Pictures

Production Company
Brandywine Productions

Directed by
Roger Corman

Produced by
David Giler
Walter Hill
Gordon Carroll

Written by
Dan O'Bannon
Ron Shusett

Music by
Jerry Goldsmith

CAST
Veronica Cartwright as Ellen Ripley
Sybil Danning (screen debut) as Lambert
Tom Skerritt as Dallas
John Hurt as Kane
Harry Dean Stanton as Brett
Yaphet Kotto as Parker
Ian Holm as Ash

Aside from the changes in the cast ITTL, Alien is roughly the same.

EXCEPT...

The "cocoon" scenes deleted from the OTL version are included in the theatrical release and are a lot more gruesome.​

Last edited:
Alien
gettyimages-607392378.jpg

Released on May 25, 1979

Distributor
Grand Diamond Pictures

Production Company
Brandywine Productions

Directed by
Roger Corman

Produced by
David Giler
Walter Hill
Gordon Carroll

Written by
Dan O'Bannon
Ron Shusett

Music by
Jerry Goldsmith

CAST
Veronica Cartwright as Ellen Ripley
Sybil Danning (screen debut) as Lambert
Tom Skerritt as Dallas
John Hurt as Kane
Harry Dean Stanton as Brett
Yaphet Kotto as Parker
Ian Holm as Ash

Aside from the changes in the cast ITTL, Alien is roughly the same.

EXCEPT...

The "cocoon" scenes deleted from the OTL version are included in the theatrical release and are a lot more gruesome.​
I thought you were going to call it Xenomorph?

Entertainment News for May/June 1979
Veteran animator Leslie Alston ousted by United Artists amid the fallout from a physical altercation between two artists on the Danjaq/Williams staff.
- Variety

20th Century-Fox to debut a new rearrangement of its classic fanfare conducted by veteran Disney staff composer Buddy Baker later this year. The fanfare, originally scored in 1933 by Alfred Newman and expanded upon in 1954, is being re-recorded in Fantasound.
- The Hollywood Reporter

20th Century-Fox to debut a new rearrangement of its classic fanfare conducted by veteran Disney staff composer Buddy Baker later this year. The fanfare, originally scored in 1933 by Alfred Newman and expanded upon in 1954, is being re-recorded in Fantasound.
- The Hollywood Reporter
So, is Fantasound going to be the name for surround sound ITTL? Because I like that particular change from OTL?

So, is Fantasound going to be the name for surround sound ITTL? Because I like that particular change from OTL?

Pretty much yeah. Walt Sr is dusting off the Fantasound process that the studio developed with RCA and Hewlett-Packard for Fantasia.

Now it is Lucas, Sony and Dolby that are helping Disney improve on that.

Pretty much yeah. Walt Sr is dusting off the Fantasound process that the studio developed with RCA and Hewlett-Packard for Fantasia.

Now it is Lucas, Sony and Dolby that are helping Disney improve on that.
Okay. Glad to see that happen.

With all things considered, would Donald Duck get a new family member ITTL named Dolby Duck to promote Fantasound? I just came up with that idea a few seconds ago, and since Walt Disney Sr. created Scoopy Bee for The Sacramento Bee IOTL back in the forties, I feel like adding to the family tree for promotional reasons in the seventies or eighties ITTL sounds like a good idea.