As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

PNWKing

Banned
Pretty much yeah. Walt Sr is dusting off the Fantasound process that the studio developed with RCA and Hewlett-Packard for Fantasia.

Now it is Lucas, Sony and Dolby that are helping Disney improve on that.
Lucas, Sony, and Dolby. That is just the most audio-nerd partnership ever, but with Walt Disney involved it is going to be astounding.

The Muppet Movie (1979 Film)
The Muppet Movie
themuppetmovie-blogroll-1564072149029.jpg

June of 1979 saw the release of The Muppet Movie, the first film to be released by Touchstone (below), a joint venture of Hanna-Barbera Productions and Henson Associates.

Entertainment News for Mid-Late June 1979
Disney to dip its toes into the VHS, Beta and VHD formats in Spring 1980.
- TV Guide

Muppet Movie
a monster box office hit for the new Touchstone studio.
- The New York Times.

After a bitter dispute with Rankin-Bass turned sour, the Tolkien estate and Saul Zaentz are in talks with RKO-Desilu, Touchstone, Universal, Grand Diamond and Nelvana for the film rights to the Lord of the Rings books.
- The Hollywood Reporter.

Thorn EMI to purchase the intellectual property rights to the dormant Republic Pictures studio this fall.
- Variety.

Studio Chiefs as of 1979
And now, the studio chiefs...

Walt Disney Pictures
Walt Disney, Sr. (Chairman Emeritus)
Walt Disney, Jr.
Ron Miller
Roy E. Disney
Frank Wells (20th Century-Fox)

Columbia Pictures
Alan Ladd, Jr.
Gareth Wigan

Paramount Pictures
Barry Diller
Don Simpson
Jerry Bruckheimer
Frank Mancuso, Sr.
Jeffrey Katzenberg

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer
E. Cardon Walker
Donn Tatum

Universal Pictures
Lew Wasserman
Sid Sheinberg
Sean Daniel
Thom Mount
Ned Tanen
Walter Lantz

Warner Bros.
Ted Ashley (Outgoing)
Bob Daly
Frank Price
Fay Vincent

Touchstone
Michael Eisner
Jim Henson
Bernie Brillstein
Bill Hanna
Joe Barbera

New Line Cinema
Robert K. Shaye

Grand Diamond
Roger Corman

RKO-Desilu
Lucille Ball (Retiring)
Frank Price
Herbert F. Solow
Douglas S. Cramer

United Artists
Ted Turner
Bob Benjamin
Arthur Krim
Albert R. Broccoli

The Cannon Group
Dennis Friedland (Outgoing)
Chris Dewey (Outgoing)
Menahem Goling (New owner)
Yoram Globus (New owner)

Hemdale Film Corporation
David Hemmings
John Daly
Derek Gibson

AVCO Embassy
Robert Rehme

Newcomers:
Republic Pictures
David Picker (Formerly of Paramount and RKO)

Miramax Films
Bob Weinstein
Harvey Weinstein

The Samuel Goldwyn Company
Samuel Goldwyn, Jr.

Last edited:
Disney to dip its toes into the VHS, Beta and VHD formats in Spring 1980.
- TV Guide

Muppet Movie
a monster box office hit for the new Touchstone studio.
- The New York Times.

After a bitter dispute with Rankin-Bass turned sour, the Tolkien estate and Saul Zaentz are in talks with RKO-Desilu, Touchstone, Universal, Grand Diamond and Nelvana for the film rights to the Lord of the Rings books.
- The Hollywood Reporter.

Thorn EMI to purchase the intellectual property rights to the dormant Republic Pictures studio this fall.
- Variety.
I am at least 98% certain that Disney will be successful right out of the gate in these formats.

Is TTL's Muppet Movie more adult than OTL's version, since OTL Touchstone was made so Disney can make adult movies under a pen name?

I would pick Universal for this job. Why? Because I think they NEED a big franchise to combat against the monolith known as Disney Communications!

I might need a reminder, but is there anything worth salvaging from the Republic Pictures library ITTL?

I am at least 98% certain that Disney will be successful right out of the gate in these formats.

Is TTL's Muppet Movie more adult than OTL's version, since OTL Touchstone was made so Disney can make adult movies under a pen name?

I would pick Universal for this job. Why? Because I think they NEED a big franchise to combat against the monolith known as Disney Communications!

I might need a reminder, but is there anything worth salvaging from the Republic Pictures library ITTL?

I agree.

Nothing in The Muppet Movie is different from OTL, but it was released under Touchstone as a test run.

As Universal acquires the rights, I am not entirely sure what would be a good year to release the first installment. Might not be till Peter Jackson comes along...unless there was a way LOTR could be done without CGI.

Not really. This will be a new incarnation of Republic with little to no connection to the old.

I agree.

Nothing in The Muppet Movie is different from OTL, but it was released under Touchstone as a test run.

As Universal acquires the rights, I am not entirely sure what would be a good year to release the first installment. Might not be till Peter Jackson comes along...unless there was a way LOTR could be done without CGI.

Not really. This will be a new incarnation of Republic with little to no connection to the old.

Rember when i told about that otl cancelled its a wonder life sequal where geroge grandson grows up to be a greedy bussinessman who is worse then mr potter but he had a soft spot for his late Zuzu and some times feel guitly about his acitons. One christmass eve aunt zuzu returns as guadrain angel and somehim how the world would be a better place if he hade neaver been born. I assuem the movie would end with zuzu convice her newph to return to living and make adems for his sins. Perhaos the its a wonderful life swague would be a good first project for the new republic pictures since republic pictures own the right to it's a wonderful life

Rember when i told about that otl cancelled its a wonder life sequal where geroge grandson grows up to be a greedy bussinessman who is worse then mr potter but he had a soft spot for his late Zuzu and some times feel guitly about his acitons. One christmass eve aunt zuzu returns as guadrain angel and somehim how the world would be a better place if he hade neaver been born. I assuem the movie would end with zuzu convice her newph to return to living and make adems for his sins. Perhaos the its a wonderful life swague would be a good first project for the new republic pictures since republic pictures own the right to it's a wonderful life
We're still 35 years away from that.

1979 In Music
Major Events
Bing Crosby dies at 76
Roger Waters is fired as Pink Floyd singer shortly after the recording of "The Wall". Kate Bush is hired as his replacement.
Foghat break up after 8 years
Biggest Hits
1 - Rod Stewart - Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?(Disco)
2 - The Knack - My Sharona(Pop/Rock)
3 - Doobie Brothers - What A Fool Believes(Soft Rock)
4 - Blondie - Heart Of Glass(Punk)
5 - Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive(Disco)
6 - ELO - Don't Bring Me Down(Rock)
7 - McGuinn, Clark & Hillman - Don't You Write Her Off(Rock)
8 - Christopher Cross - Sailing(Soft Rock)
9 - Kenny Rodgers - The Gambler(Country)
10 - Little River Band - Lonesome Loser(Rock)
"Tragedy" by the Bee Gees and "Georgy Porgy" by Toto just missed out.

1979 In Music
Major Events
Bing Crosby dies at 76
Roger Waters is fired as Pink Floyd singer shortly after the recording of "The Wall". Kate Bush is hired as his replacement.
Foghat break up after 8 years
Biggest Hits
1 - Rod Stewart - Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?(Disco)
2 - The Knack - My Sharona(Pop/Rock)
3 - Doobie Brothers - What A Fool Believes(Soft Rock)
4 - Blondie - Heart Of Glass(Punk)
5 - Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive(Disco)
6 - ELO - Don't Bring Me Down(Rock)
7 - McGuinn, Clark & Hillman - Don't You Write Her Off(Rock)
8 - Christopher Cross - Sailing(Soft Rock)
9 - Kenny Rodgers - The Gambler(Country)
10 - Little River Band - Lonesome Loser(Rock)
"Tragedy" by the Bee Gees and "Georgy Porgy" by Toto just missed out.
Did you get permission from @OldNavy1988 to post this or are you trying to thread jack again?