Another America: A Map and Graphic Setting

Annotated Map of North America
semiahnanotes_by_keperry012-dclsa11.png

Is California Russian?

Nope, mostly English and Spanish.

Really fun peak into this TL! Notation 12 is missing from the side bar however

Whoops, was meant to be:
12. The plains of northern Louisiana are the breadbasket of North America (and not much else, southern Louisianans like to mock).

That's great, what are the approximate populations of these countries?

Very approximately and subject to change:
Canada: 75 million
Louisiana: 60 million
United Provinces: 45 million
California: 40 million
Virginia: 40 million
Florida: 30 million
Columbia: 25 million
New England: 15 million
Alyeska: 1 million
Newfoundland: 0.5 million

How large is the Russian population of California?

It is very interesting to see an America that is populated by so many different languages.

"12. The plains of northern Louisiana are the breadbasket of North America (and not much else, southern Louisianans like to mock)."
Nice to know that the Midwest is still the Midwest, just with Frenchmen.
Midwest farmland values remain steady

Last edited:
How large is the Russian population of California?

Something like a couple hundred thousand, which is not that much overall but they mostly live along the more sparsely populated northern coast so they make up a fairly large percentage of the population there.

Is Newfoundland primarily Gaelic speaking? I noticed that the city names are quite Celtic.

English is actually more widely spoken but Gaelic is promoted as the main official language.

Did the American Bison fare better ITTL with large Indian and Métis reserves? IOTL they were almost hunted to extinction for furs and to starve out the native tribes (Sioux, Cheyenne, Arapaho etc.), but with the Nationnes Indiennes in Louisiana and Région Métis de Manitoba in Canada, was the buffalo hunting less extreme than in OTL without the political motive?

This is kinda inspiring me to do a timeline where the French settle heavily in the Americas like the Spanish, Portuguese and British did, with New France having a much larger population than in OTL. I'm sure I've become known for hopping from timeline to timeline, but I think this would be interesting to say the least.

Did the American Bison fare better ITTL with large Indian and Métis reserves? IOTL they were almost hunted to extinction for furs and to starve out the native tribes (Sioux, Cheyenne, Arapaho etc.), but with the Nationnes Indiennes in Louisiana and Région Métis de Manitoba in Canada, was the buffalo hunting less extreme than in OTL without the political motive?

Yes, there was still a large population decline but there are also still fairly large wild bison populations left.

What do the sports and entertainment landscapes look like on this map?

Sports: lacrosse is the national sport of the United Provinces and Canada (along with hockey in the latter) due to the Iroquois influence and one of the most popular sports across North America. The English-speaking countries play the British package of sports, with cricket being especially popular in New England and rugby being especially popular in Virginia. Soccer is dominant in Florida and Louisiana. Baseball, basketball, and American football were never invented. The popular sports have national leagues in each country as well as a North American league for the best teams from each national league. There are also competitions between national teams, with many of the autonomous indigenous nations fielding teams of their own.

Entertainment: the dominant languages in North American media and entertainment are French and English since most people in North America speak at least one of the two either as a first or second language; the French entertainment industry is based in Nouvelle Orleans and Montreal and the English entertainment industry is based in New Westminster and San Gabriel (with the latter becoming a major hub for the Spanish entertainment industry as well), as well as both having a major presence in Nieuw Amsterdam as much as or even more than Dutch media - the other countries also have domestic entertainment industries but those are where the internationally popular movie studios, record labels, etc are located. Most popular music styles originated in Louisiana and Virginia though by now those countries have no particular monopoly on music production.

This is kinda inspiring me to do a timeline where the French settle heavily in the Americas like the Spanish, Portuguese and British did, with New France having a much larger population than in OTL. I'm sure I've become known for hopping from timeline to timeline, but I think this would be interesting to say the least.

Sounds great!

Based on my deeply lazy revelation that I can just add other originally unrelated scenarios of mine to this one, here's a very rough draft of a world map:

worldah_by_keperry012-dcp2444.png

You can't just put that here without explanations!

That's awesome. What happened in the BeNeLux and the Levant out of curiosity?

Also is this a t h i c c Monaco?

You can't just put that here without explanations!

That's awesome. What happened in the BeNeLux and the Levant out of curiosity?

Also is this a t h i c c Monaco?

Working on a labeled version and a map of former colonial empires!

Belgium never gained its independence and instead the Netherlands stayed united until France went *fascist and went on a conquering spree, once it was defeated by a coalition led by Britain and Canada (which then came to see itself as inheritor of the French Revolution and leader of the Francophone world), Wallonia was confiscated from France but it was determined that too much had changed and it had become too Frenchified to give it back to the Netherlands instead, so it was made an independent buffer state - as a result of the same war, yes, the rest of Nice was given to thicc Monaco, Alsace was given to Bavaria, former Francophone Switzerland and Savoy were given independence as Arpitan-speaking Romandy, and Catalonia and the Basque Country were given independence - because Spain sided with France or because France conquered them? Is this the war that collapsed the Austro-Hungarian, Russian, and/or Ottoman Empires? To be decided! Elsewhere in the Benelux you may notice internationalized Moresnet/Amikejo.

As for the Levant, whenever the Ottoman Empire did fall the Arabs were more successful at establishing a state and foiling the European countries' plans to carve them up and colonize them; the Europeans gave the Arabs recognition and support in exchange for the Arabs ceding the Levantine coast as homelands for the Alawites, Maronites, and Jews (read: as European protectorates and spheres of influence).