An Unexpected Prince

Chapter 82: Anne's Love

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 82: Anne’s Love

December, 1705

Anne of Cumberland took a deep breath and then said. “You know, I’m really glad that Mother decided to postpone my trip to the Dutch Republic until next year.”

“Why is that, Princess?” Henrietta Somerset asked. Anne shivered with pleasure as her friend stroked her thigh.

“Because it meant I’ve had more time with you, and with the girls. It’s also meant that I’ve had more time to learn about what it is I like.” Anne replied smiling.

Henrietta looked at her and smiled as well, and Anne felt heat pool in her legs. “And what is it that you like?”

Anne blushed. “I love how you kiss me, and I love that thing you do with your tongue.”

She felt Henrietta move down to her lower area and gasped at the sensation. Henrietta came back up then and grinned wickedly at her. “You mean that thing?”

“Yes.” Anne gasped. She pulled Henrietta in for a kiss then and revelled in the feeling and the sensation. When they broke apart she said. “I should thank you and the rest of the girls for this. I never knew what I was missing until now.” It had started off friendly at first, a few tips behind giggled conversation, and then one night during a ball to celebrate the King’s birthday, she’d felt something stir in her at the sight of Henrietta and the next thing she knew, she was kissing her.

Henrietta thumped down beside her and Anne moved closer to her, so that she was looking her in the eye. “Well, it’s been a fascinating time of it, Princess.”

Cautiously, Anne asked. “How did you learn how to do all of those things?” Anne knew that what they were doing was wrong on some level, no doubt if Mother found out, she’d have a fit, but how could something that felt so good be a sin? God never said anything about this? And it wasn’t as if she were a man sleeping with another man, which definitely was a sin.

Anne saw Henrietta blush, her cheeks turning rosy, and Anne felt her heart beat quicken at the sight, God, Henrietta was so beautiful when she blushed. “I…I never knew what to do until we started doing it.”

Anne looked at her friend in surprise. “Really? You did not know any of this before?”

“I mean,” Henrietta began, blushing furiously. “I had read a few things about what to do, but never anything more than that.”

Anne smiled relieved, she kissed Henrietta and then said. “Well, that’s something.” They both moved back to rest against the pillows, Anne’s mind was whirring with activity, she knew she would be sent off to The Hague after the King had married early next year, and she knew that some of her friends would accompany her, but others were remaining here to marry. She wanted Henrietta with her. She looked at her friend and said. “You know, you could come with me. Mother has said that she’ll let me choose which of my ladies come with me to The Hague.”

Henrietta didn’t say anything immediately, but then when she replied her voice sounded so small. “I cannot, Princess.”

“Why?” Anne asked, a sliver of fear running through her then that they might have been found out, or that her friend didn’t feel the same way as she did.

“Because my father has decided that I am to marry Charles Fitzroy, the son of the Duke of Grafton.” Henrietta said.

Anne looked at her friend properly then, and saw that she was close to tears. Anne took her hand and asked. “Do you want to marry him?”

Henrietta shook her head. “No, he is boorish and prefers the company of boys to women. He does not appeal to me in the slightest.”

“So, why don’t you protest against the marriage?” Anne asked. Anne knew Henrietta’s father, the 2nd Duke of Beaufort, he was a kind man, and not prone to fits of anger, and he doted on Henrietta.

“I don’t know.” Henrietta replied. “He seems very keen on this marriage. The Duke of Grafton is serving in the admiralty, and I think my father hopes to get some benefit from that.”

Anne’s mind whirred with activity then as she processed that, eventually she reached a decision. “Leave it with me, I’ll speak with my mother and sort it out.”

“You’re sure?” Henrietta asked sounding uncertain.

“Of course.” Anne replied smiling. “Mother won’t say no to me.”

Oh interesting chapter.

Would the scandel be less if it got out that Anne preferred women or that Charles preferred men?

VVD0D95

Banned
Oh interesting chapter.

Would the scandel be less if it got out that Anne preferred women or that Charles preferred men?
I think the latter, in society at the time from what I can make out male sexuality had to be one way and one way only due to biblical stuff I think? I could be wrong tho

I think the latter, in society at the time from what I can make out male sexuality had to be one way and one way only due to biblical stuff I think? I could be wrong tho
Considering how much evidence there is of male homosexual/bisexual relations in that era, I would guess a lot of it was not quite so secret, nor were the urges always suppressed. Doesn't mean a scandal couldn't ensue, depending on how one's enemies were situated to press it.

VVD0D95

Banned
Considering how much evidence there is of male homosexual/bisexual relations in that era, I would guess a lot of it was not quite so secret, nor were the urges always suppressed. Doesn't mean a scandal couldn't ensue, depending on how one's enemies were situated to press it.

This is very true, quite a contrast to the Victorian era.

Well the king might consider it, if the dowry is right
The Option of making the Spanish Netherlands independent under one of Maria Antonia's daughters is still up? Maybe we can have Jaime marrying Maria Margaret and establishing the new domain as a buffer state backed by the British

VVD0D95

Banned
The Option of making the Spanish Netherlands independent under one of Maria Antonia's daughters is still up? Maybe we can have Jaime marrying Maria Margaret and establishing the new domain as a buffer state backed by the British
It’s still an option, though not sure england would want such an entanglement, besides Jaime is promised to a German princess

Weird, I though she was bethroted to James (the King), and that Anne's son was still a bachelor (maybe I confused the names)
She is.🧐
Elisabeth of Brunswick is for Jaime.
I do not think the King can marry anyone from a Catholic dynasty, which discounts France, Spain, the Emperor’s family and most other of the prominent dynasties. However, Mary had written to suggest that we consider the Landgrave of Hesse Kassel’s daughter Marie.” Anne said.

Last edited:
Chapter 83: A King and His Cumberland

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 83: A King And His Cumberland

March, 1706

James took a breath and then said. “I never thought I’d be glad to be out of the chapel.”

His nephew, James of Cumberland laughed. “You can say that again.”

“I thought the Archbishop might just die from saying everything.” Anne said giggling.

“Well at least it’s done now.” James said, raising a cup of wine in toast. “To your marriage.”

Anne raised her cup and then they drank. Anne was the first to put her cup down, James knew his niece didn’t like wine. “Did you ever find anything out about Friso? Anything more than what Mother told me?”

James considered the question, his niece had come to him a few months ago, expressing concerns over her lack of knowledge of her husband to be, well not knowledge per say, but detailed information, and so he’d tasked William Wyndham with finding out as much as he could, the man had only just returned with his findings. James took a breath and then said. “Well, nothing more than what Anne would have told you. He’s got a good background, he seems handsome, he’s got brains, and he’s well read. I’m not sure what else there is to it.”

Anne nodded, but her face showed her disappointment. “I see.”

“I think the more pressing concern is whether you’ll be discreet.” James said then.

“Discreet?” Anne asked. “What are you talking about?”

“You and Henrietta.” James said, his niece was about to protest and so he held up a hand to silence her. “Your mother wasn’t going to agree to let her go with you, something about not offending Beaufort, but I convinced her. I know what she means to you, but I also know that the Dutch won’t be as forgiving if they find out.”

Anne turned bright red then, so bright in fact that James was slightly worried she might burst. Her voice was small when she asked. “Does Mother know?”

James shook his head. “Of course not. Your mother is too busy doing things with your father and with Lady Marlborough to even pay attention to this.”

“So, how did you know?” Anne asked.

“We’re family, Annie,” James of Cumberland replied. “Of course we’d know.”

Anne’s face shifted then, going from shocked to relieved. “But that doesn’t mean Friso needs to know, no?”

“Not if you’re discreet about it.” James said. “You will need to try to get to know the women who are named as your ladies. You might also consider speaking to the Princess of Orange about this. I believe she had a similar issue initially.”

“She did?” Anne asked sounding surprised.

“Indeed, it seems there was some woman involved with her before she left. It ended. But with Henrietta going with you, you need to be careful.” James said simply. He did not mention that his father had ensured the woman that Mary had been involved with had been sent off far away, his niece didn’t need to know that.

“I will, I promise.” Anne said solemnly.

James then turned to his nephew and asked. “And what of you? Are you going to stop fooling around with Marlborough’s daughters? Which one is it now?”

His nephew blushed. “Mary and I have only been kissing, we’ve not done anything else.”

James frowned at his nephew. “Still, you need to stop it now, before that harridan demands something of you.”

James of Cumberland looked shocked. “You don’t honestly thing that the Countess of Marlborough would demand I marry her daughter based on this?”

James nodded. “I do. And I think your mother would agree. The Countess has a powerful hold over your mother, she’d likely agree to anything asked of her.”

Jaime looked horrified at the thought, clearly he was still picturing a happy sort of thing where he could marry the Brunswick girl, and keep Mary Churchill on the side. “I’ll talk with Mary.” His nephew promised.

“Good.” James said.

His niece then looked at him and asked. “And what about you?”

“What about me?” James asked.

“You’re lecturing us about not going on with our friends, what about you? Who are you carrying on with?” Anne demanded.

James laughed. “Nobody.”

Anne snorted. “Really?”

“He’s telling the truth, Annie.” James of Cumberland said. “We’ve all tried to get him interested in someone, but nothing’s happened.”

Anne looked at her brother in surprise, and then turned to him and asked. “Why?”

James shrugged. “I am the King; I need to set an example.”

“So, you’re denying yourself all experience before your wife gets here?” Anne asked.

“Yes.” James said.

“You’re an idiot.” Anne said.

“Perhaps I am, but at least we’ll both be going in blind together.” James said simply.