An Unexpected Prince

Sensible man this James - less risk of dynasty threatening bastards that way too!

Also a decent Navy is indeed important.

Anyone been discussing the governance of the growing New World colonies and how to ensure the people there are being listened to and controlled given the immigration from possible enemy states?

VVD0D95

Banned
Sensible man this James - less risk of dynasty threatening bastards that way too!

Also a decent Navy is indeed important.

Anyone been discussing the governance of the growing New World colonies and how to ensure the people there are being listened to and controlled given the immigration from possible enemy states?

Indeed, and as @Valena points out it will reduce the cost of maintenance as well.

As to governance of the new world colonies, I'm open to suggestion. I was half tempted to keep the DOminion of New England going, but not sure how feasible it is.

VVD0D95

Banned
Something of rare sensible quality in James II was that as Lord Admiral he was much more competent that he was as a King. So it fits that his son, with his ATL upbringing, understands this.
Agreed though as king James II was a bit before his time

Oh, this was interesting. A look into the King's 'inner circle' and no doubt the young lads present will play major roles in James III's court for years to come.

But the end where the King talks about only sleeping with his wife just gives me vibes of 'famous last words'.

I'm betting that he'll either he'll get drunk and have a tumble with a random noblewoman before the wedding, or wind up with some sort of mistress in a few years...

Well, his second cousin once removed the OTL King of Spain did manage "only sex in marriage" thing. The fact that he got shamelessly manipulated by his wives for this is another thing.

VVD0D95

Banned
Oh, this was interesting. A look into the King's 'inner circle' and no doubt the young lads present will play major roles in James III's court for years to come.

But the end where the King talks about only sleeping with his wife just gives me vibes of 'famous last words'.

I'm betting that he'll either he'll get drunk and have a tumble with a random noblewoman before the wedding, or wind up with some sort of mistress in a few years...
Ahaha, Stuart’s being man snores hereditary, but yes, his companions are going to be big players for sure.
Well, his second cousin once removed the OTL King of Spain did manage "only sex in marriage" thing. The fact that he got shamelessly manipulated by his wives for this is another thing.
This is very true

Chapter 79: Marriage Schemes

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 79: Marriage Schemes

January, 1705

“You know things would be so much easier if you would just allow the Dauphin the chance to sit in on the council meetings, beyond the normal ones.” Marie Louise said looking at her husband. This rivalry or suspicion that the Kings of France had towards their heirs was something she could not understand. Her father had never kept her brother out of the line of management, nor would he be so foolish to do so. But it seemed the Bourbon Kings were different.

“He spends too much time with his wife and with that cabal of nobles who want to take power away from the throne. I will not give them the chance to exert more power.” Her husband, King Louis fifteenth of his name said.

“Did you ever stop to think that perhaps it was because you kept him away from the council meetings that he spends more time with the Devots?” Marie Louise asked. “Perhaps if you actually showed some interest in him, he wouldn’t be part of that group.” This was the most obvious of suggestions, but her husband was not someone who took the obvious route.

“You have more faith in him than I do.” Louis answered. “His association with that group shows that he is still not ready to be trusted with the reins of power.”

Marie Louise had to laugh at that. “Did your father not say the same thing about you? Did you not resent him for doing what you are doing to your son, to you?”

Louis shifted slightly and she knew she had him where she wanted him. “What do you want me to do?” He eventually asked.

“Invite him to the next meeting you have with the key ministers of the government, allow him to speak, let him know that you value his opinion. Once he is actually involved in the running of the Kingdom, he will abandon any sense of loyalty to the cabal currently influencing him.” Marie Louise said.

“And what of his wife? The woman is one of the people at the centre of that little cabal.” Louis pointed out.

Marie Louise said nothing for a moment, as she thought on that point. Her niece Marie Adelaide was smart, clever and she had the Dauphin wrapped around her little finger. But she also wanted to make a good impression at court. “Leave her to me, she will see sense.”

Her husband seemed relieved by that, if the relaxing of his shoulders was any indication. “Very well. Now, there was another matter I wanted to discuss with you.” A pause, her husband took a breath and then said. “Philippe needs a wife.”

Almost at once, Marie Louise said. “My niece Maria Luisa is of age to marry, and it would show Savoy that we are not going to pursue such an aggressive policy as we did before.”

“Two marriages to Savoy?” Louis responded sounding sceptical. “I am not sure we can afford to do that.”

“Then who?” Marie Louise asked. “Who else would you marry Philippe to?” She knew her step-son, knew that he was not that strong willed, she knew that he would need someone who could keep him in hand and keep him in France’s sphere of influence.

“Elisabeth Farnese.” Was her husband’s response.

Almost immediately Marie Louise knew that this would not be a good match. “She brings nothing to bear, her family is not within our sphere of influence, and her uncle is still young as is her mother, they could still have children.”

Louis shook his head. “Our spies in Parma report that the Duke of Parma and his wife barely share a bed anymore, and the man has no illegitimate children. He will not have any children, and his younger brother does not want to get married. She will be the heiress to Parma, and that will ensure that more of Italy is under our influence than Habsburg influence.”

Marie Louise could see the sense in what her husband was saying, but it was a long game to play, especially when the boy needed heirs now. “She is young still, and you yourself have said that Philippe needs heirs. Better to marry him to someone who is of child bearing age, then someone who will need a few more years.”

“I will consider what you have said.” Louis replied. This time though, Marie Louise could not tell if he would or if he were simply humouring her, and that frustrated her.

Chapter 80: A New Emperor

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 80: A New Emperor

June, 1705

Joseph, Holy Roman Emperor, King of Jerusalem, King of Hungary and Bohemia, Infante of Spain, Archduke of Austria and a host of various other titles he could never quite remember shifted slightly in the imperial chair. This was the chair his father had sat in for forty-five years before his death, this was the Emperor’s chair, and it was now his. His father had been suffering from an illness for a long time and when death had come, Joseph would admit that he had thanked God that his father had passed away peacefully. Now, at the age of twenty-seven, Joseph had the chance to shape the Empire into his own image.

He cleared his throat and spoke. “Gentlemen, thank you all for meeting at this early hour. We have seen a great many changes over the past month, and today we must discuss what we consider to be the most important matter facing the empire. Our brother Karl’s marriage.”

“But, Sire, has it not already been agreed that His Imperial and Royal Highness will be marrying an Infanta of Spain?” Rudolf Waldburg asked.

“There was a tentative agreement between our predecessor and Her Majesty the Queen of Spain, yes, but nothing completely solid.” Joseph replied. “And besides, if our brother is to rule securely in Milan, he needs a wife who will bring connections in Italy to counter the presence of the Bourbons in Naples.”

Waldburg said nothing then, but Leopold Auersperg, his foreign minister spoke then. “Perhaps Maria Luisa of Savoy could be of benefit then? Her father remains isolated from Versailles, despite his sister by marriage’s best efforts, and he is looking for protection from anymore attempts by France at undermining his sovereignty.”

“Maria Luisa is one possible choice, yes. But we are loath to tie ourselves too closely to Savoy. We have not forgotten how the man fought during the last war.” Joseph said, that and the fact that the man’s older daughter was married to the Dauphin meant Joseph wasn’t sure whether the man was or wasn’t a French puppet still.

“Laura of Modena is someone who could bring benefit to our cause, Sire.” Rudolf who was his finance minister suggested. “She is related to the King of England via her father.”

Joseph considered this. “It would help to strengthen our ties to England, but Modena is not a power, it is a second-rate state. We need someone who will bring enough force to the table to dissuade Naples from trying anything.”

“There is no other state that truly matches Naples, other than Tuscany, Sire, and the Grand Duke’s granddaughter is not of the right age for His Imperial and Royal Highness.” Rudolf said.

“There is one other choice, Sire.” Leopold said tentatively.

“And what choice is that?” Joseph asked, though he suspected he knew what choice this would be.

“The King of France has a daughter of an age with the Modense girl, if Your Imperial Majesty wishes to prevent the Bourbons from trying anything in regards to Milan, perhaps it would be best to make sure that they cannot even think about doing so, by making the Duchess of Milan a Frenchwoman.” Leopold said.

“You cannot be serious!” Rudolf said sounding shocked. “The French are our enemies; they would no doubt abuse this position if given the chance.”

“I am serious, we must find a way to bring peace, and this is the most realistic scenario I could find.” Leopold replied.

Rudolf turned to him then and said. “Sire, do not consider this. A marriage to a French Princess would not end anything, it would merely embolden the French.”

Joseph looked at Rudolf and asked. “Do you know something we do not, Rudolf? The King of France has not shown any sign of aggressive intent, unlike his father. He has respected the treaty and the border lines, and what Leopold says is right, we must bring peace and ensure that it is maintained, this might be the best way to do so.”

“And what happens if this marriage occurs and then a war breaks out? How does anyone know whether the French will respect the terms of the marriage agreement?” Rudolf asked.

“Nobody knows what might happen in the future, Rudolf, but we must take chances.” Joseph said.

“But, Your Imperial Majesty!” Rudolf protested.

“But nothing.” Joseph responded. He looked at Leopold and said. “Send word to our ambassador in Versailles, and see whether the French are interested.”

“Yes, Sire.” Leopold said.

You know the situation is shit when the Habsburgs are gambling on the good will of France.

Last edited:
It makes sense for now considering the current king of france for now. They won the last war and are pretty satisified with the gains. And if france goes to war it should focus on the rhine and try to keep dutch and french out and italy i guess.

The marriage could make peace for a decade or so .

VVD0D95

Banned
It makes sense for now considering the current king of france for now. They won the last war and are pretty satisified with the gains. And if france goes to war it should focus on the rhine and try to keep dutch and french out and italy i guess.

The marriage could make peace for a decade or so .
Indeed the question now remains is how will Spain see tvis

Chapter 81: Concerns of A Queen

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 81: Concerns of a Queen

September, 1705

“The new tax that the treasury is proposing would raise the income of the Kingdom by 20%.” Maria Antonia said.

“Yes, but it would also mean that the wine merchants and the beer makers would be the hardest hit. And you know just how much they despise having to pay more.” Jakub replied.

“And yet, we need that extra money. We’ve already raised the taxes in Aragon by five percent, we must do the same in Castile to ensure that the Aragonese do not feel as if they are being singled out.” Maria Antonia replied, rubbing at her forehead and wondering why her ancestors had not just let Aragon go.

“So, we raise the taxes in Castile, a Kingdom that contributes far more to the treasury, in order to appease Aragon, when the Aragonese have not even complained yet about the fair taxation plan they are being treated to.” Jakub said. “That sounds like capitulation.”

Feeling her frustration begin to grow, Maria Antonia looked at her husband and asked. “Well, what’s your solution then?”

Jakub grinned, and she felt the old fluttering in her stomach again. “Well, firstly I’d raise the tax within Castile not by 10% but by 7% and I’d do it on a range of goods, not just the drinks market. I’d then slowly raise the taxation within Aragon, and at the first sign of trouble, remind them who it is that keeps them safe at night. And remind them of the hold we have with the peasantry.”

“And if that does not work?” Maria Antonia asked. “If the nobles continue to ferment trouble?”

“Then I would go into Aragon myself and show my face. Remind the people who it is they owe their allegiance to.” Jakub responded. “Too often we allow the nobles to speak for us, when really we should be speaking for ourselves.”

Maria Antonia looked at her husband and marvelled at how calm and assured he seemed. They’d been married for fifteen years now, and he’d never once appeared troubled or concerned by anything thrown their way, and given the nature of being monarch of Spain, that was saying something. There were days when she wondered how he remained so calm, and whether or not he truly was that calm. “How do you do this?” She asked.

“Do what?” Jakub asked sounding confused.

“How do you remain so calm and thoughtful despite all the pressure?” Maria replied.

Jakub grinned again. “I remember that I’m not the Queen.”

Maria laughed and swatted his shoulder. “You truly are insufferable.”

Jakub snorted. “But would you have it any other way?”

Maria smiled. “No, no I would not.”

Jakub took her hand and kissed it then. Then he pulled back and said. “Exactly.”

Maria took her husband’s hand in hers and said. “There is another matter that needs to be considered.”

“The Austrian marriage?” Jakub asked.

“Yes.” Maria responded. “Word has come from our friends in Vienna, it appears that the Emperor is looking to marry his brother to a French Princess.”

Jakub looked as if he hadn’t heard her properly for his face scrunched up in confusion and then it returned to normal and he said. “So, clearly the Emperor is looking to protect his southern border then.”

“Yes, that is what I had thought as well. But it is surprising, because the Duke of Milan has been betrothed to Maria Margaret since they were both children. Why break the betrothal now?” Maria Antonia asked.

“Perhaps because France now holds Naples, and they want a guarantee that the French won’t try anything?” Jakub suggested.

“Yes that would make sense, except that this King of France is not like his father, indeed, this King of France seems completely uninterested in war.” Maria Antonia responded.

“He might be, but he is still French. And truth be told, this is not something we should object to.” Jakub replied.

Maria understood what her husband was saying, neither of them had been completely enthralled with the prospect of their eldest daughter marrying Karl, not because there was anything wrong with him, but because of how much it just seemed wrong. “So, what would you recommend?”

“The way I view it, we have two options. We either increase the dowry, or we offer a proxy.” Jakub responded.

Maria Antonia thought on this and then sighed. “We cannot increase the dowry without increasing taxation I feel, which would not be good for us in the long term, and we have no valid proxies to offer that they would not have already considered.”

Jakub squeezed her hand. “Then perhaps we should accept that the next Duchess of Milan will be a French Princess.”

Maria nodded. “Perhaps we should.”

“Don’t worry, we will find someone else for Maria Margaret to marry.” Jakub replied.