An Unexpected Prince

Chapter 75: Marriages for Consideration

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 75: Marriages For Consideration

November, 1703

“Compton tells me that the King has so far managed to surpass anything he’s ever seen in terms of attitude and understanding of the lessons he’s been given. Indeed, the man seems to think the King is the smartest student he’s ever had.” Anne said.

George looked at her slightly surprised. “Truly?”

“Truly.” Anne replied with a hint of pride. “The King knows all of Hobbes’ work, and he has refuted Locke’s arguments several times. Indeed, Compton believes that the King might even win in a debate with Locke now.”

George looked as if he were torn between laughing and being impressed. “Would this be one where Locke could speak freely?”

“Naturally.” Anne replied with a smile.

“Well that is something.” George said. “I always knew the King was smart, but I hadn’t known he was that smart.”

Anne nodded. From a young age her brother had been an avid reader, grabbing anything he could get his hands on, and digesting it. Be it something from Swift, Addison or even that idiot Defoe. It had gone long into the night with him reading something or the other. Now as to their own son. “And Marlborough informs me that Jaime is a better shot than the King, and that he would make a fine soldier.”

George seemed very happy with this. Anne knew her husband didn’t much care for books or learning, much preferring the army or the navy. “That is good, and coming from someone such as Marlborough that is high praise indeed.”

“Agreed.” Anne said. “And with how close the King and Jaime are to Marlborough’s own son, that is sure to ensure that the future of the Kingdom is secure.” She was beginning to think of including Marlborough in the ministry properly, not just as Commander in Chief, but in what other role she did not know.

“Agreed. Hasn’t Marlborough betrothed his son to Ormonde’s girl?” George asked.

“He has.” Anne said. She had recommended the marriage herself, given how powerful Ormonde was in Ireland. “They are going to be getting married next year.”

“Which means that the focus for the King and Jaime’s own marriages will increase.” George said. Their daughter was already betrothed to Johann William Friso, the future Prince of Orange, but the boys had not yet been betrothed to anybody solidly yet.

“I do not think the King can marry anyone from a Catholic dynasty, which discounts France, Spain, the Emperor’s family and most other of the prominent dynasties. However, Mary had written to suggest that we consider the Landgrave of Hesse Kassel’s daughter Marie.” Anne said.

“Yes, I know of them. They are quite close to the Emperor which will play well with the Tories, and the girl is a Protestant which will do well with the Whigs.” George said.

“So, we are agreed then, the King will marry her?” Anne asked, just wanting to make sure. It would make the cabinet meeting far easier if they were united.

“I see no reason to oppose it, so yes.” George replied.

Anne smiled. “Which just leaves Jaime. Sarah thinks that a marriage to Elisabeth of Brunswick would make sense. The girl is related to the King of the Roman’s wife, and is also related to Hanover. Which would bring another tie to the Emperor. Something which could show that we are moving away from the Catholic policies of my father and uncle.”

“But you do not agree?” George asked.

“I don’t know.” Anne admitted. “I think that a marriage to Princess Elisabeth does make sense, but I do not want to give that man another chance to say he’s got family near the throne.” That man being George, Elector of Hanover, the man who had spurned her for some woman who was plainer than day, and an idiot as well if rumours were to be believed.

“She does come from a notably fertile family.” George pointed out. “Something which we need, given that the dynasty is currently the King and Jaime.”

“I know, but something about it just doesn’t sit right with me.” Anne replied.

“Well who do you have as an alternative? We both know the council will demand one.” George stated.

Anne sighed. “Nobody who is of the right age.” She paused as she came to terms with what this information told her. “I suppose then that means Elisabeth of Brunswick is for Jaime.”

George nodded though he took her hand. “At least it isn’t one of his daughters.”

Anne laughed. “True.”

A domestic marriage wouldn’t really make sense tho...

Perhaps not, as its all part of the system of Alliances etc etc.

However I do wonder how relations with Ireland or Scotland might have changed if the King, or the 'Spare' married domestically instead and made the bonds to the 3 Kingdoms stronger- esp if said couple spent any time in the originating part of the isles.

VVD0D95

Banned
Perhaps not, as its all part of the system of Alliances etc etc.

However I do wonder how relations with Ireland or Scotland might have changed if the King, or the 'Spare' married domestically instead and made the bonds to the 3 Kingdoms stronger- esp if said couple spent any time in the originating part of the isles.

This is true, though it could be seen by some as favouring one family over another.

Chapter 76: EIC

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 76: EIC

March, 1704

John Gayer, Governor of Bombay knew that his time in India was coming to an end. He also knew that the men who were sat near him were plotting who would replace him. He knew that he should feel some sort of bitterness about this, after all his predecessor had. And yet, as with most things in his life now, John could only acknowledge the reality and plan ahead for the time when he would no longer be needed. Right now, the most pressing issue confronted them.

“The Emperor has raised the duties on all the products we are bringing from England. This is despite his agreement not to do so.” John said, referring to the actions of Azam Shah, the man who had triumphed over his brother Bahadur Shah four years previously in the struggle for the Peacock Throne. “With these actions, the Emperor clearly shows what blatant disregard he has for us, and for the King of England. This is something we cannot let stand.”

Nicholas Waite, his second in command spoke then. “You speak rightly, Sir, but the issue arises as to what exactly we can do. We helped put the man on the throne yes, but we also helped put his brother on that same throne. We are reliant on the Emperor’s good will against the marauding Marathas and the other Rajputs who want a piece of our trade. Furthermore, if we lodge a protest, we risk allowing the French back into the Imperial good graces.”

John bit back a sigh. He knew his second in command was right. The French were constantly hovering near the periphery, demanding to be let in, and it would only take one small misstep by him to allow them in. “I know, Nicholas. However, we must take some sort of action otherwise we shall never be respected.” It was the truth. He knew the Imperial court respected strength, which was why they continued to hold succession wars every time an Emperor died.

“There is one possible solution.” William Aislabie said tentatively.

“And what is that?” John asked.

“We could approach his son.” William said.

“Which one, the man has four.” Nicholas japed.

John snorted, but looked intently at William awaiting his answer. “Bidar, his eldest and his favourite son. The younger man is soon to be named governor of Bengal. I think that if we can show him that we are the right people for the Emperor to do business with that it will change things.”

John thought on that, the question that immediately came to his mind was how to do that, and then the answer presented himself. “Through bringing him the newly acquired weapons developed in England that are far superior to anything the French might have to offer, and through showing him the new navigational techniques that the Lord High Admiral has come up with.”

“Exactly, Sir. We know the Prince is someone who has an interest in naval affairs, this would be the perfect way to demonstrate that we are serious.” William said.

John thought on this, he knew he was far too old to actively get involved in such a mission. The Prince would not take him seriously, and besides he did not think Nicholas would behave appropriately if he did leave. No, that man was far too ambitious. Instead he fixed his eyes on William and said. “You will compile all the necessary documents together and then venture to meet the Prince wherever he might be. You will present the information to him and then wait for his answer.”

If William was surprised at being chosen, he hid his surprise well. “Of course, Sir.”

John nodded, he needed to rest now. “Now, unless there is anything else, you may all go. We have a lot of work to be getting on with.” The other men rose, nodded their heads and then turned and departed, leaving John to sit alone and mull over whether things would indeed get better or not.

Azam Shah and in particular Bidar Bahkt are likely to keep the Moghul Empire much more stable that Bahadur and his sons. A stronger India will have many butterflies, not least of which will be the focus of the British on North America. Maybe a much more deeply ingrained triangle trade than OTL as there isn't the alternate opportunities for investment in India.

Clive of Canada?

VVD0D95

Banned
Azam Shah and in particular Bidar Bahkt are likely to keep the Moghul Empire much more stable that Bahadur and his sons. A stronger India will have many butterflies, not least of which will be the focus of the British on North America. Maybe a much more deeply ingrained triangle trade than OTL as there isn't the alternate opportunities for investment in India.

Agreed re the stability, though Azam himself seemed to be somewhat proud and vain, which is understandable, though he was capable. Bidar was also quite capable. And triangle trade?

Chapter 77: Cumberland Girl

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 77: Cumberland Girl

June, 1704

“Mother has said that now I’ve flowered I can expect to be sent off to The Hague before the year ends.” Anne of Cumberland, daughter of the Princess Regent and niece of the King said.

“How do you feel about that?” Henrietta Somerset, daughter of the Marquess of Somerset asked her.

“I don’t know.” Anne answered truthfully. “On the one hand, I think it makes sense, because I need to get to know the man I’m to marry. But on the other, I don’t really want to leave.”

“So, why not ask for a slight delay then?” Elizabeth Seymour, daughter of the Duke of Somerset asked. “Surely Her Royal Highness would not object to that?”

Anne snorted. “My mother will not hear a word against this plan of hers. One she and my father have carefully concocted over all these years.” She tried to keep the bitterness out of her voice, but she wasn’t sure if she had succeeded.

“Do you want to marry the Dutchman?” Was the question that Jane Drummond, daughter of the Duke of Perth asked her.

Anne laughed. “What I want is neither here nor there. This marriage was arranged before I could walk. It will happen whether I want it to or don’t want it to.”

“That doesn’t answer my question though, Princess. Do you want to marry the Dutchman?” Jane asked.

Not for the first-time Anne wanted to curse her friend. She was very, very stubborn and often right. “I don’t know.” Was Anne’s honest response.

“How can you not know?” Anne Hamilton, daughter of the Earl of Arran asked. “You’ve been betrothed to him for years, surely you must know?”

Anne looked at her friend and said. “It’s always something that’s been there, yes, but I’ve never really given it much thought. It was just something that would happen, eventually. In the far distant future, when I would be able to handle it. It’s just that now it’s here and I don’t know how to respond.”

“Well, what do you know about him?” Jane Drummond asked.

Anne thought on that, she’d not been allowed to write to her betrothed unlike Jane or Elizabeth, with Mother saying it would not be appropriate. “Nothing. I only know his name.”

“You don’t know what he likes or dislikes?” Jane asked sounding astounded.

Anne shook her head. “I know nothing about him.”

“Well, perhaps we had best prepare you for what you’re going to have to do when you get there.” Anne Hamilton said.

“What do you mean?” Anne asked. She had a feeling she knew what her friend was on about, but she was not sure she was going to like the answer.

“You’re going to have to learn how to kiss properly, so that he doesn’t go off looking for a mistress, and you’re going to have to learn how to pleasure him.” Anne Hamilton said.

Anne looked at her and said. “I can’t. If I get caught it will ruin my reputation.”

“Not if nobody knows about it other than us.” Jane said, a strange look in her eye.

“What do you mean?” Anne asked.

“You don’t have to practice on a man, Princess.” Elizabeth Seymour added. “You can practice with us. We won’t tell anyone and besides, it will be a bit of fun.”

Anne looked at the older girl, she wondered if this was the right thing to do. Bishop Compton would say it was a sin, but then again, better to do it with people she knew than with a stranger. “I suppose so.” She replied.

Not knowing anything might be a problem I’d have thought? Strange thing to be insisted on.

Has she not even seen a portrait?

Chapter 78: A King And His Friends

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 78: A King and His Friends

October, 1704

“I’m telling you, the navy will always be more important than the army for England and Scotland. We’re an island of nations, not a landlocked country. If we do not have a proper navy, we cannot defend ourselves.” James said fervently.

“But without an army, how are we ever going to show the countries of Europe that we are not to be trifled with?” John Churchill, Lord Churchill and heir to the Earl of Marlborough asked.

“By using our navy to demonstrate power.” James responded.

“But none of the other major powers has a truly developed navy.” Churchill replied. “France’s navy is perhaps the most powerful, but even its navy compares poorly to the historical navy that the Spanish had at their peak.”

“And that is one of the reasons why we must be the Kingdom that develops our navy. If we are the nation with the best navy, none will think to challenge us.” James said. “Think about it. We develop our navy using the manoeuvres and skills that the Lord High Admiral has suggested and build more ships we can expand our colonies. We can take over everything on the east side of the New World. We could become the greatest power in the known world.”

“And if we develop our army, we could ensure the French won’t continue to damage Europe with their ceaseless ambition.” John retorted. “Which do you think our merchants would prefer?”

“If they have any sense they’ll prefer the former.” James replied.

“His Majesty is right.” James Radclyffe, James’ cousin and heir to the Earl of Derwentwater said. “Merchants need trade to survive, develop the navy and we will get that trade. No Kingdom would be foolish enough to refuse to trade with a nation that has the biggest navy in the known world.”

“So, how are we going to convince Parliament, a body filled with stuffy old men, to support a big expansion of the navy, when they are just about willing to consider maintaining a big standing army?” John asked.

“We present them with the facts as they stand.” Jaime of Cumberland, James’ nephew said. “We show them that the key to winning any war against France is to cripple their navy. To do that we need a navy that can beat them. Right now, our navy is perhaps the second best in Europe, it needs to be the best.”

“The only issue is, where are we going to find the proof we need to suggest the French have aggressive intentions still?” James Waldegrave, heir to the Earl of Waldegrave and James’ nephew asked. “Everything we’ve seen suggests that the King of France is intent on maintaining a peaceful course for now.”

“And there is the key word.” James said. “For now. He is a French King, and France still wants the Spanish Netherlands, they will always want them so long as they don’t have them. We need to keep the Spanish Netherlands protected for trade. So, we use that as bait to convince Parliament.”

James looked at John and could tell he wasn’t quite convinced, but still the other man merely nodded along and said. “I suppose we will have to see.”

“Definitely.” Was what Jaime of Cumberland had to say, before he turned to look at James and grinning asked. “So, are you ready to get married, Your Majesty?”

James wanted to groan, he should have known the conversation would come to this. “I am as ready as I will ever be.”

“When are you getting married?” Edward Howard, nephew to the Duke of Norfolk asked.

“Next year, after I have turned eighteen.” James said. He had spoken with Anne about it and confirmed that that was the case.

“What do you actually know about the woman you’re going to be marrying?” James Waldegrave asked.

“I know that she is quite smart. She’s fascinated by science and by literature. And she has a particular interest in the classics.” James said.

“How do you know that?” Radclyffe asked. “Did the ambassador from Hesse Kassel tell you that?”

“No,” James replied shaking his head. “I’ve been writing letters to her.”

That prompted his friends to cheer. “So, what have you been writing to her about?” Radclyffe asked.

“None of your business.” James responded.

“Well you’re going to have know your way around a woman before you marry her.” John Churchill said.

“What are you talking about?” James asked.

“You can’t be having sex for the first time on the night of your wedding. No woman will find that attractive, Your Majesty.” Churchill said. “They want someone who can lead them, someone who can show them what’s what.”

“Is that what Mary told you?” James asked curiously.

Mary Butler, daughter of the 2nd Duke of Ormonde, was his friend’s betrothed, they were due to marry early next year, at the insistence of the girl’s father. John had developed a habit of sleeping around with various young ladies, be they actresses, or even young ladies from the noble families of the realm.

John blushed. “No, but it is common sense. No woman wants a man who doesn’t know what he’s doing in bed.”

“So, what do you suggest?” James asked. “I will not sleep with a whore.”

“Then we’ll find you a willing woman and ensure that you sleep with her.” John said.

James snorted. “I think not. I will make this decision myself.”

“Come on, Your Majesty, you know this needs to be done. You don’t want to come across even more inexperienced than you already are. Even Jaime’s kissed a girl before.” John said.

Jaime was about to sputter something about not wanting to be brought into this, but James raised a hand. “Fine, find a woman who is willing and I will consider it.” With that he picked up his cup of wine and considered the matter closed, though he knew he wouldn’t take the offer if it were put before him. God had commanded no sleeping with a woman who was not his wife, and he would follow that advice to the letter.