An Imperial Match: Anne Boleyn marries Charles V

10th of November, 1550.
Dijon, Burgundy. 10th of November, 1550.

“Are you cold?” Juan asked, bringing her hands close to his lips. Bessie frowned as she felt his warm breath hit her fingers, his gentility a strange thing to her and shook her head, swallowing the need to bring her hands back to her chest, and reject his touch.

"I feel fine," she told him and he nodded, stepping back. They stood in the outer courtyard, awaiting the moment where two of Emperor Charles' children would leave Burgundy. Isabel for France and Juan for Germany with his men. Hopefully, both would never return, to stay away for the rest of their mortal lives. Isabel had to be Queen of France, and Bessie hoped she found successes in her life, and Juan had to die.

“You look fine,” he said, blue eyes looking her up and down. “If you have a child in your belly, I’d like for him to be named Charles.”

Bessie nodded. “And if it’s a girl?” she said, willing her body that if it had to be pregnant, then it should be a girl. To defy Juan in this one way, when she couldn’t defy him in any other. Her husband looked at her with an arched eyebrow and stopped to think, still holding her hands.

“Aliénor,” he said. “For your sister and my aunt.” He shrugged. “Or Catherine. For your sister-in-law.” He leaned in with a smile. “You may choose, my love.”

The corners of Bessie’s mouth quirked up. “How generous,” she sarcastically said. For a moment, Juan didn’t move and then he smiled, stepping forward again to press a heavy kiss to her mouth. His tongue entered her mouth, his hand reaching to grab the back of her neck to press her closer.

He kissed the edge of her mouth, the line of her jaw. Bessie closed her eyes even though they were in the presence of so many others, feeling his hands running down her body to cup her behind. “I’m tempted to bring you with me,” he whispered against her neck. His eyes were sparkling and Bessie smirked, though her cheeks were flushed.

“The children are right here,” she complained. Juan looked at Philippe and Jean, who were saying their goodbyes to their aunt with a look of disdain before he turned back to her, shrugging slightly.

“Fine,” he murmured with a tension to his mouth. “Our boys are too young. No hair on their chests.”

“Exactly,” she agreed. Bessie ran her hand over his shoulders, a kinder touch than he deserved and tried to smile. “I’m certain you will be victorious. You’re a great strategist.”

“Of course, I will be victorious,” her husband said, pressing a kiss to her knuckles. “I have no intention of dying on the battlefield, Bess." He ran his fingers over the back of her neck, the fabric of her hood rubbing against his hand. "I intend to die in bed, a hundred years from now. Beside the most beautiful Duchess that Burgundy has ever seen." He kissed her again, and finally stepped away.

He bowed his head respectfully. "I ask for your blessing, my lady wife, before I leave for this war," he said, voice loud and clear.

"God bless you, my lord," said Bessie, pressing her hand to his heart, which she could feel thumping, beneath his many layers of clothing. It was a striking feeling, this sure sign of life when she knew that if she raised her eyes, she'd see his cold gaze, and how dead it looked. "Your children and I pray for your safe return." And that it is on a gilded coffin.

But he could not hear her thoughts, which she was thankful for. Juan helped his sister climb into her carriage, worried hands hovering over her and stepped back to mount his horse. Both of them, leaving Burgundy at last.

Bessie wrapped an arm around Philippe's narrow shoulders, tugging him close as they watched the two processions leave through the castle’s gates. Her son’s golden head was tousled, unable to be tamed and she caressed it, running her hand through the thick curls. He mewled like a cat and Jean stepped around her to take her hand, slightly shorter than his older brother.

“Is father going to come back, mama?” Philippe asked softly, watching the gates shut close behind the last of Isabel’s carriages.

“If he wins,” Bessie said.

“I don’t want him to come back,” Jean murmured and she looked at her second son in shock, because he was usually so quiet. He never spoke, mindful of the way his words could be seen by his father and she had not expected him to say anything at such a tense moment.

But Bessie had royal training and she composed herself quickly. “Me too,” she admitted. “I don’t want him to come back either.” She tapped Philippe’s shoulder. “But come on. We must finish packing. Your great-aunt expects us in Bruges before the end of the year.”

I hope that Bessie will have a Katherine of her own if she’s pregnant again. Another way she and Kitty could be closer

Also, Juan is revolting. But that isn’t exactly news. A shame that he won’t die during this war either. At least Bessie and the kids will have another break from him

Maybe she will have triplets. That would get her up to 14 right? Then Juan can die. Is it odd that I think Juan does love her in the only way he can love, namely he views her as an important possession that he wants to keep control of? That is not very loving but he doesn't seem capable of loving anyone else in a healthy way save for his mother.

Maybe she will have triplets. That would get her up to 14 right? Then Juan can die. Is it odd that I think Juan does love her in the only way he can love, namely he views her as an important possession that he wants to keep control of? That is not very loving but he doesn't seem capable of loving anyone else in a healthy way save for his mother.
She'd need quintuplets to get to 14 now.

I think anything more than twins would likely kill off Bessie as well, which would just be cruel at this point

I hope that Juan gets injured or something so that it humbles him a bit. At least Bessie and the children won't have to deal with him for awhile anyways.

Last edited:
Actually, is 14 a hard number? There are contemporary mothers ITTL with more children than that...
14 pregnancies weren't out of the ordinary, but it was higher than average I think. 14 completed pregnancies and live births would impressive though, since it wasn't uncommon to have miscarriages and stillbirths. The fact that Bessie has had 7 alive kids, only had one of them die later, and is only 23 is certainly impressive. If 13/14 kids survive childhood, then that is a very impressive feat. Even if one or two more should die, it would still be fairly good luck to have more than 10 kids survive to adulthood

We cannot have a redemption arc for Juan after the war, maybe he is about to die and he will be saved and it will make him value his life and his family and he will at least become better, I know that Juan can change

12th of December, 1550.
Madrid, Castile. 12th of December, 1550.

Snow fell in blankets around him and Infante-Archduke Fernando adjusted his scarlet clothing, unused to the bright colouring covering his lithe body. He dismounted from his horse with the help of a servant, looking around at the Alcázar that had been the site of some of his fondest memories and he was eager to return, after so many years in Zaragoza. He was happy to be home.

A dark figure approached him, climbing down the steps from a balcony and Fernando smiled, opening his arms to embrace Francesc de Borja. The man made as if to bow, but he couldn’t let him do so, not when they hadn’t seen each other in so many years. Francesc was a Jesuit priest now, with his wife having been dead for quite a while, and he grasped his cross at the sight of Fernando in red clothes.

“Dear Jesu, they told me but I couldn’t believe it,” he said. Fernando pulled him into a tight embrace. “Not until I saw you, Don Fernando, could I say that you were now a cardinal.”

“With the death of Gaspar de Ávalos de la Cueva, the Pope had no choice but to accept my father’s demands,” said Fernando, tapping Francesc on his back. The man had always been skinny, but he looked positively malnourished, possibly from taking vows of simplicity during his monastic life. “I may be young, but it’s official now. I’m a cardinal.” He was only seventeen, and the law stated that one had to be thirty to be made a cardinal, but with his father’s demands and his brother’s money, Fernando was ordained.

Francesc leaned back, cupping his face with a fatherly smile. “Your mother would be so proud to see you,” he said softly. “It was hard for her to accept your role in the church, but she always said that if you had to be a priest, then it was for the best that you became a cardinal than anything else.”

Fernando smiled. He had no memories of his mother, she died when he wasn’t even four, but the idea that he was doing something that made his mother proud pleased him greatly. Especially since, after so many months in Zaragoza, he felt that nothing he did was right. That he could only disappoint his relatives, instead of make them proud. Felipe was a prince, soon to be king, Juan was the richest duke in Europe and Eduardo… With death, no one would ever say a bad word against him. Not that Fernando wanted to, but he did feel like he could only err in comparison to his brothers.

“What are you doing here?” Francesc asked. “Do not tell me you have grown tired of the Aragonese.” Fernando laughed. Francesc’s grandfather was Alonso de Aragón, bastard son of Rey Fernando II el Católico, and he was prone to rattling off their connection to all that may hear. Alonso too, as it happened, was Archbishop of Zaragoza.
“With my new role, I thought I’d serve the Princess in her council,” said Fernando. “Or maybe my brother, if he has returned already.”

Francesc shook his head. “Don Felipe remains in Austria with your father,” he said. “In truth, I don’t know when he will return.” The former duke looked behind Fernando and the infante turned as well, watching the waddling carriage cross into the Alcázar’s entrance. “Who is that?”

“That?” Fernando didn’t know what to say. His old tutor nodded. “It’s Esperanza and Juana.”

The girl who stepped from the carriage was dressed simply, and the homespun fabric did not disguise the swell of her belly. Her hair fell to her waist in waves of reddish gold, her wide eyes were a rich brown flecked with green. She could not have been more than fifteen.

"Come closer, love," said Fernando and Esperanza approached Francesc carefully, bowing deeply before the once-noble. It was clear that she was common born, in the way she held herself so diligently, ready to serve. But she was young and holding a careful parcel to her chest, more precious than anything else in the world. "This is Francesc de Borja. When my mother died, he and his wife cared for me."

"A pleasure to meet you, sir," said Esperanza demurely. Francesc carefully leaned in to look at what was in her arms and he held his breath. An infant swaddled in blankets to guard against the chill rested in the crook of her arms, hardly more than three or four months old. The little face was pale, with a prominent chin and watery blue eyes that Francesc could tell would resemble Fernando’s own in time. She yawned and closed her eyes, settling into a deep sleep.

Francesc looked at his old charge, trusted to him by the deceased empress and her parents. "What have you done?" he asked, for once forgetting all about etiquette and decorum.

Fernando looked at Esperanza then at his own feet, like a scared child being told off by his nannies. "I fell in love," he said. "My father did it. Why can I not?"

"You know why," Francesc said. He crossed himself. "The Princess will be furious when she finds out you brought her here." He looked at the infante. "Fernando, this is bad."

“How could she be furious?" Fernando asked, trying to justify himself. "Esperanza is the sweetest soul. She deserves to live a comfortable life. To think of what I saved her from. She lived in such miserable conditions before, Francesc. She is so good, she does not accept finery no matter how many times I offer it. Joana will see her for her inner beauty, just as I do. And it is Juana’s right to be here as a grandchild of my father.”

Francesc shook his head. "It's not appropriate to hold your illegitimate daughter in the same castle as the infantas," he said. He sighed and waved a servant in. "I have a house in the city. It's suitable for her and the child."

He grabbed the man's hand, stopping him. "Francesc, please," Fernando whispered.

“If it pleases you, I would be grateful to have the accommodations, my lord. I would not want to impose upon the Princess of Asturias and her children. To see the Alcázar in person is more than enough, I could never dream of staying in it.” Esperanza offered, eyes cast down.

Francesc looked at her briefly before turning back to Fernando. "There is nothing else I can do," he said. "Your father is in the middle of a war with the Protestant League and you attempt to sit your mistress with the Princess." He shook his head. "Soon enough, this will be the talk of Europe."

Fernando didn't say anything, but he knew Francesc was right. This would have consequences. He had thought to leave Esperanza in the house in Zaragoza that overlooked the Ebre. But the thought of abandoning her so soon after the birth of their precious daughter had disgusted him and he boldly set out with her at his side.

“Let Europe talk. They will not have worse to say about me than they do about my brother in the Low Countries. And one little girl born to a butcher’s daughter and a cardinal is hardly worth their attention.” Fernando tilted his chin defiantly.

“Except the cardinal in question is an Infante of Castile and Aragon, an Archduke of Austria.” Francesc sighed deeply, feeling all of his forty years weighing on him as he ordered accommodations to be made for his stubborn charge’s paramour and illegitimate daughter.

--

Leicester Castle, England. 27th of December, 1550.

“He has a serious face,” said John, kneeling by his newborn son’s cot. “With clever eyes.” The newest Lord of England was tightly swaddled to ward off any chills, a little cap over his brown head. He had a good size, peacefully sleeping after the strain of being born and all the attendants swore that he’d live. The birth had been easy for both the child and the Queen, and they would recover. “We might give him to the church, so the Pope knows we remain loyal.”

He looked behind him, at Kitty who was leaning against a multitude of pillows. His wife was only six and twenty, with already seven children to fill her nursery, her dark hair bounding down her shoulders. She smiled weakly, tired after so many hours spent pushing out their child and nodded. “If you say so, my love,” she murmured.

“I do say so,” said John. He stood up and walked away from the boy’s cradle, as he had already been fed by his wet nurse and needed to sleep, walking to sit beside his wife. “This is our fourth son. Best to see him take holy vows, instead of fathering a line that could cause trouble to William’s descendants in the future.”

“None of our children will rebel against their own brother,” Kitty complained with a pout. John chuckled.

“Maybe not our children, but our grandchildren and great-grandchildren,” her husband responded. “The wars of our grandfathers are still in living memory, my love. When cousin turned against cousin and the Thames ran red with blood.” And they were in Leicester, the territory of the old Dukes of Lancaster, who were betrayed by their Yorkist kin when Henry VI showed the first sign of weakness. Kitty shivered and nodded, clutching the cross that rested against her breast.

“Then you are clever to give our son to the church,” she said. Kitty leaned back and smiled, taking his hand gently. “What name shall we give him?”

“I was thinking about Edmund?” he offered. “For your deceased father. We already have a boy with my father’s name and if we name him John, he will be only one amidst thousands of Johns being born around the country.” And John was quite selfish when it came to his own name. He liked being John Tudor and he didn’t wish to see another bear it, even if that other was his own son.

But Kitty’s face wrinkled in distaste and she shook her head. “My father was a terrible man,” she said. “He cared more about buying ale and fending off his debtors than his own children. Once my mama died, he couldn’t even bother to send us letters.” He stroked her hand softly, because Kitty spoke so little of her parents, despite the words of praise she’d give to her uncle, or Lady Howard, or maybe even her own siblings.

“Charles, then,” he declared. “For your brother?” But the name seemed ill-fitting even as it passed from his lips. He looked back at the lambswool cradle and sighed. The boy was much too serious to bear his uncle’s name, his little brow knit even in sleep in a way that John had never seen on his light-hearted friend, his brother.

“What of George? After the Saint?” Kitty said softly. “You intend for him to take on the cloth, it could suit him. George would be a fine name for a bishop. Perhaps he will be Bishop of Leicester one day.” She smiled and looked at the bundle in the cradle. “Oh he does have a stern look to him, he’ll carry a priest’s mantle with dignity.”

John nodded. “He will be George,” he declared. “George Tudor.”

“George Tudor, Bishop of Leicester,” Kitty added with a gentle smile and John laughed. Her smile turned down slightly and John felt her eyes on him, her fingers picking at the edge of her nails. “Have I done well, my love? Are you… Are you happy with the children we’ve had together?” Her voice was low, hesitant as she fidgeted with the rings on her fingers.

He frowned. “What do you mean? Of course I’m happy, Kitty. You’ve made me the happiest man in Christendom, you’ve done so well as my wife and queen, you’ve given me seven healthy children,” he paused, eyes darkening. “Has someone given you reason to believe you haven’t? Show me the man who said as much.”

“No, no it is not that.” She sighed, biting her lower lip nervously. “It is just… it has been eleven years and I’ve only been thinking. You don’t regret not marrying someone more impressive than me?” The question hung in the air, Kitty’s eyes downcast, not daring to look at John. “Someone with royal blood, someone who would have brought prestige to England and an impressive dowry and connections to Europe?”

John moved closer to his wife, cupping his hand under her chin to pull her gaze upward. “You are the only woman I could have chosen, Kitty. It was always you, since the day I saw you in my coronation feast. When I married you, I knew what I was choosing,” he poured all his conviction into his voice, to show her he was speaking truthfully. “I do not care if my coffers weren’t enriched when I married you. You have a fine background from good English stock, and you have served faithfully and dutifully as my queen for these eleven years.”

Tears began to track down Kitty’s cheeks and John gently wiped them away, leaning down to kiss her.

“You are a kinswoman to the Prince of Asturias, our daughter will be Queen of Castile and Aragon one day because of you. You are my undisputed queen, my darling wife who I would be lost without. Never doubt for a moment that I would always choose you, even against every other woman in the world.” He pulled his wife into his arms and embraced her tightly. “I have made quite a few mistakes, Kitty, many of which I might regret until I’ve departed this life. But marrying you has never been counted among them.”

Why Fernando you sly dog! Didn't expect him to be the type of clergymen who'd sire bastards
“Let Europe talk. They will not have worse to say about me than they do about my brother in the Low Countries. And one little girl born to a butcher’s daughter and a cardinal is hardly worth their attention.” Fernando tilted his chin defiantly.
Well, if a butcher's son could become a cardinal then a butcher's daughter can certainly be the paramour of one

Also, once again John and Kitty are absolute goals. Interesting that their son will go to the church. I think he'll be the first English prince who becomes a bishop

Well. Congrats on the Cardinal position and his new Family For Fernando! He certainly has much of his Grand uncle Alonso on him!

And Kitty and John always make My hearth Melt! And Hopefully George Will NOT turn out like Clarence and become the Archbishop of Canterbury

Fernando is spitting straight facts, no one will care about his mistress because why it should concern anyone? She's irrelevant as fuck.