An Imperial Match: Anne Boleyn marries Charles V

8th of September, 1542.
Chapter first posted on my patreon on 02/04/2023.

Alhambra Palace, Granada. 8th of September, 1542.

He was quick to remove himself from her when they were finished, dark hair hanging over his eyes. Felipe's cheeks were flushed, both from the exertion and the shame of doing this so soon after María's death. And when his grandmother was ill too, with no hope of recovery. She thought of reaching forward and stroking his face, but he would not welcome the touch, she knew. At least, not at that moment. So she didn't.

Instead, Joana raised her hips, allowing him an opening to slide a pillow underneath her bottom. Then he leaned back, sitting at his heels. His hair was longer now, falling to his shoulders, and he was stronger too. With broader shoulders, a more steady chin. Not at all like the nervous youth she had married five years before.

"How are you feeling?" Felipe asked, touching her knee gently. Joana lowered the hem of her nightgown, pressing her legs together.

"Well," she said. He sat away from her, at the edge of the bed, back turned to her. She reached forward and squeezed his elbow, the cloth of his shift’s sleeves bunched up under her hand. “And you?”

“I’m worried,” he admitted, not looking at her. “This war can make or break our reign.”

Joana shifted against the bed, careful not to jostle her hips. “Why do you say that?” she asked.

“If the French manage to retake Navarre, there will be an opening into Iberia that is friendly to them,” Felipe said. “A pathway that can lead to more conquests.”

“Beyond Navarre, the French have little to no claim in Spain, my love,” Joana said, trying to reassure him. But Felipe shook his head, dragging his hair away from his face.

“If the Count of Montfort marries my sister Isabel, they will have a claim through her,” he responded. She could see the moment his back grew tense, his fingers twisting the sheets underneath. “If we don’t have a son, the French can take the Spanish kingdoms away from Ana, when I’m dead.”

“Is that why you have visited my bed every day since the news came?” Joana asked not unkindly. Felipe looked at her for a moment, shame clear in his eyes and then, looked away again. “I’m not upset, I swear to you.” She sat up, back against her bedpost. All she wanted was for Felipe to look at her again, but he didn’t, not even when she moved to wrap her arms around his shoulders. He only stayed there, head downcast, feeling so incredibly sorry for himself. “We will have a son, my love. We will. We must.”

“I know,” said Felipe. He shook his head again. “I know, I know. It’s just--” He sighed, closing his eyes. “Sometimes, I want to scream when someone comments on how a man without sons cannot boast of prowess.” Felipe raised his hand and pinched the bridge of his nose, nervous. “We have been married for five years and we already have three children. What more do they want from us? I can’t very well wish upon a star and make them boys.”

“Just ignore them,” said Joana. “It’s what I do.” She pressed a gentle kiss to Felipe’s shoulder, laying her head over it. “I'm only twenty-two. We will have more children. We will have sons.”

“I know.” He leaned back, knocking their heads together. “I want you to take the girls and follow my father to Valladolid.”

She leaned away from him to look better at his face, the handsome face that she had fallen in love with so many years ago. His pointed chin, dark hair, striking blue eyes that looked at her as if she held all the answers to the world in the palm of her hand.

"I thought we were supposed to stay here with your sisters and brother until the war was over," she murmured.

"I know," said Felipe, closing his eyes, "But here it is too close to the sea. If the French place a naval fleet on the Mediterranean, the Alhambra might turn into a battlefield."

"Now, why would they do that?" she asked. Felipe opened his eyes again.

"I don't know," he said. "I just fear it." He grabbed her hand, clutching it desperately. "Please, my love. Do this for me. Go with my father. Keep our girls safe."

"You do know that if I have a son in your father's presence, the Emperor will demand that he be named Carlos, after him," she said, "Don't you?"

Felipe nodded. "I do," he said. "But that is a risk I'm willing to take for you and our children."

For a moment, neither of them spoke and Felipe feared he had asked too much of her. Joana liked her uncle just as much as he liked his father: which was little at all. But then, she nodded.

"Very well," she said. "I will go with your father, but as long as you make me a promise." Joana grabbed his face, making him look at her in the eye, reading every inch of his expression. "You will not take part in any fighting, Felipe. As your wife, I understand your duty to the realm, but I have three daughters under five that need their father in their lives. Your first duty is to them. Thus, you'll only go to gather your men and wait for a day in which they are needed. But you will not fight. Promise me, husband."

He placed his hands over hers. "I promise," he said. "By St George, I promise, Joana, that I will not take part in any fighting."

She examined his eyes, trying to discern whether there were any lies hidden in his words, but finding none, Joana nodded. "Good," she said. "Very good."

They did not kiss, or move to copulate once again. Instead, Joana wrapped her arms around Felipe's shoulders and pulled him into as tight an embrace as their positions could allow, wondering if this was the last time she would ever touch her husband.

Awww, it's a shame that Felipe feels that he has to have a son to be a full man, because it would certainly be something to see his daughter become Queen Regnant of Spain...

15th of September, 1542.
Chapter first posted on my patreon on 02/05/2023.

Whitehall Palace, England. 15th of September, 1542.

"You can always tell when the King has visited her bed," Anne Stanhope said as she observed the little foolish queen, walking arm in arm with her husband down in the royal gardens. “She is always carrying herself so proudly and haughty the next day.”

Every so often, as they stopped to sniff at a flower or two, Katherine Howard would stretch up on her tiptoes to whisper in his ear, tiny hands squeezing her husband’s arm. It didn’t seem that they noticed the two companions walking behind them, or even the little Duke of Cornwall, toddling ahead of his parents. The couple seemed trapped in a world of their own, caressing and touching each other. The King clutched his wife’s hand, stopping for a moment to press a hard kiss to her mouth and the girl visibly shuddered.

Anne sighed. “She is so vulgar.”

Thomas Culpeper leaned against the windowsill next to her, shaking his head. “The King visits her bed often these days,” he said. “He wants a Duke of York.” As he spoke, one year old William Tudor stopped and turned back to his mother, holding a small daisy in his hand. The Queen leaned down to take it, her face away from where Anne and Thomas were standing inside the palace. “I imagine we will have an announcement any day now.”

“I bet she is loud in bed,” Anne commented. Though she was one of Her Majesty’s ladies, she was never chosen to spend the night with her. Such an honour was given to her kinswomen, who also had the difficult task of standing outside her rooms as the King came to her chamber. Listening to everything.

“She is,” Thomas Culpeper said with a strange look upon his eyes. As one of the King’s trusted grooms, he often had to dress and undress the King, especially when he was preparing to perform his marital duties. Anne looked at him in interest. “She howls and moans like a bitch when the King comes to see her. All through the night.”

Anne twisted her lips. Despite everything, that did not please her. She shook her head.

“She doesn’t deserve her station,” she murmured. “She is a wanton little whore who opened her legs and got a crown for it. You know people say she wasn’t a virgin when the King married her? There was no exhibition of the sheets on the next day.”

Thomas looked at her with a smile. “And who is worthy of the throne, Anne? You?” She shrugged and he laughed. “The Queen is of higher birth than you and you are older than the King by thirteen years,” he said. “She is an eighteen year old girl who produced a male heir on her very first try and you are thirty-two.” He leaned in to whisper in her ear. “An unmarried virgin.”

She wanted to slap him, but Thomas simply walked away, laughing. As he moved, Anne called out, “How is your brother these days? Still rotting in the tower for a crime you committed?” But he didn’t seem to care at all.

In the gardens, far away from them, Kitty clutched John’s arm tightly, wanting to be as close to him as possible. Her husband only chuckled, patting her hand gently like a compromising father. She wanted to pout, to pull him in for a kiss, but he only shook his head.

“I did it for us!” she whispered. Kitty wrapped her arms around one of his, leaning her head against his side. “How can I go nine months without you, my love? I’m too weak.”

“You’re not.” John stopped, turning to look at her. He placed a hand on each side of her face, stroking her cheek gently. “You’re a good and passionate woman, but sometimes, I have to be the smart one.” He wasn’t upset that she had lied to him and failed to mention she already had gone through three months without her courses, just so he would keep visiting her bed. Why would he? It was the most romantic thing he had ever heard. “we must keep the baby safe. Our little Duke of York is more important than our love.”

“The baby hasn’t even quickened yet,” Kitty said. “We must keep trying, to be certain that I am with child.” John laughed and pinched her cheek. “I’m serious!”

“I know you are,” he said. Then, he leaned forward and, taking care to hide it from their companions, placed a hand on the flat of her stomach. “If it’s a boy, my throne will be secure. And that’s what we all want.”

Kitty pouted. “I know,” she said. “I’ll take care of myself.” The King smiled and pulled her by the hand, continuing their walk. William was just ahead of them, an independent little boy who liked to point at things and pick up some of the little flowers growing around his eye level. He was still wearing a dark green gown, with a white slash over his little chest. His dark hair was hidden under a white wool cap, pinned in place by a large emerald.

The King wrapped an arm around her waist. “I want you to invite the Imperial ambassador to play cards with you,” he murmured in her ear. “Before the end of the week, preferably.”

“Why?” Kitty looked up at her husband. John smiled.

“Thomas More suggested one of the Prince of Asturias’ daughters could marry William,” he said. “Eustace Chapuys will only negotiate for Infanta Luisa’s hand, but I want Ana.”

“Why Ana?” Kitty asked.

“Ana is older,” John responded, as if everything was simple. “She stands to inherit the Spanish kingdoms until her father has a son. She will be eighteen already when our son turns fifteen, perfectly able to bear children. Her dowry will be significantly larger than her younger sister’s.” He shrugged. “And I think Queen Anne sounds better than Queen Louise.”

“Oh.” That made perfect sense. “And what should I tell the Imperial ambassador?”

“Be your charming self,” the King said. “Expand your worries over Luisa’s age, her likelihood to survive infancy.” He looked away from her, at William who was stretching on his toes to look at a pond before them. “Tell him that you think Luisa’s faults will have to be compensated by a larger dowry, if he complains.” Hardly had his words passed his lips when John stepped away from her, kneeling next to William to wrap a securing arm around him.

“Fish!” their son exclaimed, pointing ahead at the lake. Though their hair did not match, and with their backs turned to her, Kitty could hardly say what was the connection between the two, she felt her heart melting inside her. “Fish, papa!”

“I see it, my boy,” said John, his hand large and protective over William’s tiny back. “Look, there! A mama duck and her babies too.” He pointed at something far off in the pond and Kitty stepped closer, wanting to cry at the sight of her husband and child.

“Mama?” William turned to look at her and John chuckled.

“Yes, that’s your mama, but there is a mama duck and her little ducklings.” John directed him back to the pond, focusing his attention. But William, the soft-hearted child that he was, could not be swayed away from his mother. He shook off his father’s embrace and ran to Kitty, who kneeled down to welcome him with open arms.

“Mama,” William exclaimed, wrapping his skinny arms around her neck. Kitty closed her eyes as she straightened up, stroking his soft back. Her eyes were brimming with tears, her emotions sensitive and she knew then that she was expecting a baby.

Not that it mattered. William was a good child. He deserved a little brother or sister. And John deserved his Duke of York.

My my, Anne is certainly a bitter one. Sour grapes, huh? At least John, Kitty and William are happy with a new one on the way. I imagine that John keeps very close eyes on William near water after what happened to his brother

Wow, someone is really bitter it seems.

And good to See that the royal family is happy, although i got nervous seeing Willy si close to water...

Definitely felt nerves seeing William close to water, considering what happened to Isabella’s son… I expected a scene with him falling and John jumping in to take him out of the lake/pond

if Anne Stanhope is unmarried, then who did Edward Seymour marry?

Whenever a young child approaches a pond in this story, I get a little worried. I’m sure John does too. It’s good to see that a second baby is on the way.

Also, I forgot to say it earlier: Happy 485th Birthday to little Ana de Austria, named after her beloved grandmother. And also happy 58th birthday to my mother, I guess...