I have always thought that an empire similar to the British Empire could emerge somewhere beyond the British Isles. Here are some characteristics in this alternating empire that I am looking for:

-The alternative empire must have at its peak at least 10% to 40% of the earth's surface belonging to it

- May be preferred European nation but also can be an Asian nation

- One of its colonies becomes independent before the rest of the other colonies and becomes the greatest power of the earth as the British empire created the United States

- This nation can coexist with the other empires of our timeline, but it must be the most powerful nation

POD can be in any period, but preferably after 1400. I am not asking you to write a timeline. I just want to have a discussion if an empire like the British Empire can exist outside the British Isles. The probable candidates, I think, would be Spain during the Iberian Union, pre-revolutionary France, Portugal monopolizing the control of sub-Saharan Africa for itself and annexing Galicia, the Netherlands conquered maintaining northeastern Brazil and maintaining the North American territories, German unification Or Italian unification earlier, Ottomans conquered more territories in eastern europe, russia expand alaska russian, imperial china, imperial japan, india pre-conquest by the british and there are other endless possibilities.

Have fun. I look forward to reading your answers.

Well, Spain already fulfills all of the requirements except one. It was the greatest power for a time, and all that you really need is a colony to become a world superpower. Plenty of TLs have explored the concept of Latin America uniting into one country as Bolivar wanted, and if this happens then it could easily become the most powerful country on earth. More powerful than OTL's USA even. This would make Spain fulfill all requirements.

Well, Spain already fulfills all of the requirements except one. It was the greatest power for a time, and all that you really need is a colony to become a world superpower. Plenty of TLs have explored the concept of Latin America uniting into one country as Bolivar wanted, and if this happens then it could easily become the most powerful country on earth. More powerful than OTL's USA even. This would make Spain fulfill all requirements.
Plus ultra indeed. There are also quite a few timelines that explore the concept of how an empire spanning the entire iberian penninsula would develop. Such a nation, combining aragonese, castillian and portuguese possessions, including it's colonial potential, could easily become a hegemon that puts the British Empire to shame. Just keep those pesky habsburgs out of the picture, please.

ben0628

Banned
Ottoman Empire pursues a Indian Ocean strategy, forms colonies in East Africa and conquers Oman. The Ottomans then use their colonial wealth to fix their internal issues and rebuild its military, conquer Vienna and then moves against Persia and Central Asia. It also conquers Morocco, Sicily, and the Crimea/Northern shores of the Black Sea.