Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes VI (Do Not Post Current Politics or Political Figures Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I've created infoboxes for Sir Handel and Peter Sam. They'll be uploaded tomorrow and Friday.

I guess I created the infoboxes just in time since the Peter Sam article got deleted/redirected yesterday.

I think that it would be a good idea to have a periodical (bi-weekly, perhaps) infobox contest similar to the ones for maps and flags.

Would people be interested in this?

I think that it would be a good idea to have a periodical (bi-weekly, perhaps) infobox contest similar to the ones for maps and flags.

Would people be interested in this?

Sounds like a great idea imo. Would be willing to help run the contest if ever.

Well, as I mentioned yesterday, my next Thomas themed infobox will be about Mr. Steamroller Wheels himself. Give it up for Sir Handel (formerly known as Falcon)

This article is about the Skarloey Railway locomotive. For the owners of the Skarloey Railway, see Sir Handel Brown I and Sir Handel Brown II

Sir Handel Part 1.png

Sir Handel Part 2.png

Sir Handel, named after the Skarloey Railway's first owner, Sir Handel Brown I - originally named Falcon, after the works where he was built - is a narrow gauge saddle tank engine. He formally worked on the former Mid Sodor Railway and the Peel Godred Aluminum Works and now currently works on the Skarloey Railway.

Bio
Sir Handel (then named Falcon) was built at Falcon Works in Loughborough, England in 1904 for the Mid Sodor Railway as an 0-4-0ST, which caused him to bounce. He was delivered by sea to Arlesburgh to replace the original #2 locomotive Smudger [1] [2], who had been turned into a generator shortly before his arrival. Shortly afterwards, Falcon had to learn the line by double-heading with MSR #1 Duke. While on The Mountain Road, they exited the tunnel and Falcon derailed over a cliff. It was Duke's willingness and quick thinking that saved him from rolling down the mountain [3]. Despite his gratitude, he occasionally made fun of Duke until he and MSR #4 Stuart were told about what happened to the Mid Sodor Railway's second #2 Stanley [4].

Falcon would return to Loughborough in 1910 to have trailing wheels fitted as a cure for his unsteadiness in running, turning Falcon into a 0-4-2. By 1936, he Stuart and Duke were the only three remaining engines on the railway after three other locomotives were sold off to keep the company's head above water [5]. All three engines would continue working the railway for 11 years until the railway closed down in 1947 [6], Falcon and Stuart were sold to the Sodor Aluminium Company at Peel Godred for an expansion project while Duke was stored in a shed for 22 years. Following the project's completion in 1951, Falcon and Stuart were oiled, greased and were placed under tarpaulins ready for disposal and stood for a year in the Company's yard. In 1952, they were purchased for the knockdown price of £50 (£25 each) (equivalent to £791 in present-day terms) [7] by Sir Handel Lloyd Brown for service on the Skarloey Railway, overhauled at Crovan's Gate Works and renamed to Sir Handel and Peter Sam respectively [8]. As a result of SKR #2 Rheneas being sent off for overhaul and with Skarloey doing the same shortly after their arrivals, Sir Handel and Peter Sam would be the only two engines (other than the Skarloey Railway's short lived original #5 The Weedwacker [9], who only saw about two years of service before being withdrawn, dismantled and turned into a flatbed) to manage the Skarloey Railway for six years between 1952 and until SKR #5 Rusty's arrival in 1958 [10].

Sir Handel was not very well-behaved when he first came to the Skarloey Railway, as shown when he insulted the coaches by calling them "cattle trucks" [11], which resulted in them holding him back on a hill and bumping him off the rails when he had to stop for some sheep that strayed on the line. He derailed himself on purpose when his driver planned for him to fetch trucks from the quarry. This led the Controller of the Railway Mr. Peter Sam to discipline him by leaving him in the shed until he was ready to behave. In 1958, he also pretended to be ill to avoid going to the quarry, as advised by NWR #4 Gordon, which only led to Peter Sam to have an accident with trucks at the Skarloey Slate Quarry incline after they mistook him for Sir Handel, which damaged his funnel and boiler [12]. Sir Handel also played ill to avoid getting televised by the BBC television producers, but Mr. Peter Sam arranged for him to be taken apart instead in order to show the producers how an engine works [13].

Sir Handel did not cope well with the worn track on the railway [14] and would often derail - sometimes deliberately [15], so he was given a pair of special wheels with broad tyres to cure this problem, dubbed "steamroller wheels" by the other engines [16]. SKR #1 Skarloey later had Sir Handel meet his match with a bad-tempered steamroller named George to teach him some sense, which resulted in him having an accident when George rammed his front roller into his train [17]. Despite this, Sir Handel still took the belief that he sent George packing, but he stopped talking about it after some children heard about his situation with George and teased him about it.

In 1969, both he and Peter Sam were happily reunited with Duke for the first time in 22 years after he was rediscovered [18].

In 1982, Sir Handel visited the Talyllyn Railway to help tide over a locomotive crisis while one of its locomotives was being repaired [19][20]. Sir Handel had plenty of adventures there, such as pulling a wedding train and having to wear an eye-patch after colliding with a tree and hurting his eye at Nant Gwernol. He spent two years in Wales before returning to Sodor in 1984 to take his share of the summer traffic.

When Peter Sam was brought back from the Talyllyn Railway early during a visit in 1996, Sir Handel became jealous and as a protest, deliberately knocked out his firebars. He was sent to the shed and began to fear that he would never come out after weeks went by and no one came to see him. When Mr. Roger Sam came in one day Sir Handel confessed, asked for a second chance and got his firebars later that day (although no one bothered to tell him that they had only just arrived). Shortly afterwards, Sir Handel would attend the naming ceremony of SKR #7 Ivo Hugh [21].

As of 2020, Sir Handel is still working on the Skarloey Railway, often taking passengers to tourist points on the line and working at the Slate Quarries.

Photos

PeterSamaccident2.png

Sir Handel at the main Skarloey Railway engine sheds at Crovan's Gate in 1958 shortly after Peter Sam's accident at the former Skarloey Slate Quarry.

Crovan's_Gate_Ensemble_1995.jpg

A picture of all the Skarloey Railway steam locomotives taken in 1970. From left to right and front to back: SKR #6 Duncan, SKR #1 Skarloey, SKR #3 and former MSR #3 Sir Handel, SKR#4 and former MSR #4 Peter Sam, SKR#8 and former MSR #1 Duke and SKR #2 Rheneas.

NGEngines2.jpg

A photo of all the engines of the Skarloey Railway fleet taken in 1970. From left to right and back to front, SKR #5 Rusty, SKR#1 Skarloey, SKR#3 and former MSR #3 Sir Handel, SKR #2 Rheneas, SKR#6 Duncan, SKR#4 and former MSR #4 Peter Sam and SKR#8 and former MSR #1 Duke.

SirHandelmadface.jpg

A photo of Sir Handel taken at an inconvenient time. Dates unknown.

Notes
[1]: Thomas & Friends Season/Series 4 Episode 1 Granpuff,
Neither Sir Handel/Falcon or Peter Sam/Stuart know anything about Smudger until Duke tells them about him, meaning that Smudger was turned into a generator before either of them arrived on the Mid Sodor Railway.
[2]: Smudger replaces Stanley (who was only referred to simply as "#2") from The Railway Series Book 25: Duke the Lost Engine (1970). My continuity plans on having both Stanley and Smudger exist.
[3]:The Railway Series Book 25: Duke the Lost Engine Story 2:Bulldog (1970) and Thomas & Friends Season/Series 4 Episode 3 Bulldog (1995), Falcon derails on The Mountain Road just outside the tunnel. After being filled up with more water, Duke is able to pull him back onto the rails.
[4]: I disguised about Stanley and Smudger in Source #2. However, unlike in the Railway Series, Falcon and Stuart know about Stanley beforehand, they just don't know what eventually happened to him later on until Duke tells them that he got turned into a pumping engine.
[5]: According to The Island of Sodor: Its People, History and Railways (1987), there were six locomotives working on the Mid Sodor Railway in 1936 (Duke, Falcon, Stuart, Albert, Jim and Tim). However, it mentions that Albert, Jim and Tim were sold off to prevent the railway from going bankrupt.
[6]:The Railway Series Book 25: Duke the Lost Engine Story 1: Granpuff (1970) and Thomas & Friends Season/Series 4 Episode 1 Granpuff (1995), The Mid Sodor Railway is shown closing down with Falcon and Stuart being bought and Duke being put under a tarp and put into his shed.
[7]: £50 (in 1947 British money) for two narrow gauge steam locomotives seems like a pretty good deal to me! ;)
[8]: The Railway Series Book 10: Four Little Engines (1955) and Thomas & Friends Season/Series 4 Episode 6 A Bad Day For Sir Handel (1995), Sir Handel and Peter Sam are shown arriving on the Skarloey Railway.
[9]: The Weedwacker is an original creation of mine, serving as the Skarloey Railway's original #5 for a two year period. He/it was based on the Talyllyn Railway's original #5 "The Lawnmower", which was built in 1952 using a Ford Model T engine and transmission from L.T.C Rolt's narrowboat and the wheels from a Talyllyn Railway slate wagon. It worked the Fridays-only winter passenger service until 1953, when it was taken out of use with a failed gearbox. It was dismantled in 1954 and converted to a flat wagon. The Weedwackers follows a similar history.
[10]: Between Rheneas and Skarloey heading off for their overhauls in 1952 (The Railway Series Book 10: Four Little Engines (1955) ) and Rusty arriving on the railway in 1958 shortly before Skarloey came back (The Railway Series Book 14: The Little Old Engine (1959)), Sir Handel and Peter Sam were likely the only engines to work on the line for that six year period.
[11]: Sir Handel calls the coaches "cattle trucks/cars" in The Railway Series Book 10: Four Little Engines Story 2: Sir Handel (1955) and its TV series adaption Thomas & Friends Season/Series 4 Episode 6 A Bad Day For Sir Handel (1995). In the same story/episode, the coaches get their vengeance on him by holding back on a hill. The Thin Controller(Sir Topham Hatt in the TV Series) scolds Sir Handel, and he behaves until he is sent to work at the quarry one day. He later purposely derails himself, and when he is put back on the rails, he is sent to the shed in disgrace.
[12]: In The Railway Series Book 14: The Little Old Engine Story 1: Trucks! (1959) and its TV series adaption Thomas & Friends Season/Series 4 Episode 8 Trucks/Rusty Helps Peter Sam (1995), Sir Handel pretends to be ill after Gordon talk him into it. This later leads to Peter Sam's accident as mentioned above.
[13]: The Railway Series Book 14: The Little Old Engine Story 4: Little Old Twins (1959), Sir Handel tries to play ill again, but this results in the Thin Controller simply asking his crew to take him apart to show the producers how an engine works.
[14]: A decent portion of the track on the Skarloey Railway prior to Rusty coming to the railway to help out with railway maintenance and odd jobs was in poor condition. The railway didn't have the funds to fix the tracks at the time. Try running a railway on a shoestring budget!
[15]: I already mention in source 11 how Sir Handel derailed himself twice.
[16]: In The Railway Series Book 17: Gallant Old Engine Story 2: Steam Roller (1962) and Thomas & Friends Season/Series 4 Episode 12 Steam Roller (1995), with Sir Handel often slipping between the rails, he is given new wheels with broad tyres. The engines make fun of them and called them "steamroller wheels", much to his annoyance.
[17]: Ibid: Sir Handel's crash with George happens later in the story/episode.
[18]: Sir Handel and Peter Sam are reunited with Duke in The Railway Series Book 25: Duke the Lost Engine Story 4: Sleeping Beauty (1970) and in Thomas & Friends Season/Series 4 Episode 2 Sleeping Beauty (1995).
[19]: The Railway Series Book 29: Great Little Engines (1985),
Sir Handel leaves for the Talyllyn Railway in Wales in the second story of the book Peter Sam and the Prickly Problem after the restoration of Duke is complete in 1982 (in the first story Patience is a Virtue, it mentions that Sir Handel can't head off for Wales until Duke restoration is complete, which it is shortly afterwards). In the fourth story Sir Handel Comes Home, Sir Handel comes back to Sodor in Summer 1984 and tells the other Skarloey Railway engines about his adventures on the Talyllyn Railway, including how some members of the British Royal Family came to visit during his stay, pull a party train of wedding guests, and getting an eye-patch in Nant Gwernol after hitting a fallen tree hit on the tracks.
[20]: According to The Railway Series Book 29: Great Little Engines (1985), Sir Handel was sent to the Talyllyn Railway because Talyllyn was feeling ill, however according to The Island of Sodor: Its People, History and Railways (1987), as well as promotional material for the real event, he was sent because his sibling locomotive Sir Haydn needed repairs.
[21]: The Railway Series Book 40: New Little Engine (1996), Sir Handel deliberately knocks out his firebars in the second story Sir Handel's Plan. In the fourth story I Name This Engine..., Sir Handel attends Ivo Hugh's naming ceremony with the other Skaroley Railway engines.

Thomas infoboxes:
North Western Railway

NWR #1 Thomas

Skarloey Railway
SKR #1 Skarloey
SKR #2 Rheneas
SKR #3/Former MSR #3 Sir Handel (formerly Falcon) (you are here)

Other things
Fletcher, Jennings and Co.

Last edited:
Here's something I've been working on for a couple weeks now.
What started out as a little thought experiment, documented on my test thread, turned into a total of 17 wikiboxes, exploring the potentials of what could have been.
(Edit: I made the list of presidents in this universe! Check it out here.)

Without further ado, I give you:

The Sun Never Set In Camelot

50275114083_dea8fb7c80_o.png

Last edited:
Here's something I've been working on for a couple weeks now. What started out as a little thought experiment, documented on my test thread, turned into a total of 17 wikiboxes,
exploring the potentials of what could have been. I've taken the liberty of putting this into a spoiler because the file is, and I can't emphasize this enough, huge.

Kennedywank?

Here's something I've been working on for a couple weeks now. What started out as a little thought experiment, documented on my test thread, turned into a total of 17 wikiboxes,
exploring the potentials of what could have been. I've taken the liberty of putting this into a spoiler because the file is, and I can't emphasize this enough, huge.

How did Spiro Agnew win a presidential election?

At least with George III you had the honesty of sticking with one family. I do not understand the fascination a supposedly egalitarian republic has in creating and sustaining dynasties and granting political power purely because of a person's surname and heritage.

Nice dystopia, but seriously good timeline

Eparkhos

Banned
Minority European Languages of Patagonia

The south of Patagonia's desolate, wide-open landscape has bred a culture of insularity and self-reliance among the isolated settlements of Drake and Gwladfa States. This quiet isolation has allowed the immigrants who moved into the region to preserve the mother tongues of their homelands, producing dozens of dialects scattered across the mountains and the steppe. Two of these in particular were widespread and cohesive enough to earn a recognized status as minority languages in their states. I now present to you, as the great Daniel Kelly put it in 1902, ' the little languages of the Far South'.

Vuurlander Wikibox.png

Vuurlander is spoken on Fireland (Tierra del Fuego) and the settlements on the northern side of the Straits of Magellan. It is spoken by the Straits Boers or Vuurlanders, who are descended from the prisoners transported to the region during the Second Boer War and its aftermath. They assimilated the Dalmatian and Scottish settlers who already lived there, producing a Dutch-derived language with heavy Gaelic and Croatian elements. After a brief period of adaptation they took up the way of life of their predecessors and within two decades the region was nearly identical, with the only altered factor being the language.

Patagonian Sami wikibox.png

Patagonian Saami is spoken in a region of Patagonia's western coast known as New Lapland (Although referring to the region by this name around locals is a good way to disappear into the fjords forever). The ancestors of the Patagonian Saami were Sea Saami who immigrated to the region in the late 19th century to escape persecution back in Scandinavia. They were right at home in the mountains and water of the west coast, and quickly established a network of fishing communities scattered along the coast from Fireland to the Chiloe Islands. They retain their insularity for the most part, and there are many places where not a word of English is spoken.​

The Kamikaze Election of 2009
In the aftermath of the 2009 local and European Parliament elections, dozens of Labour MPs were preparing to strike and bring down Gordon Brown in what became known as the Hotmail Plot, due to the use of the email platform to coordinate the plotting. However, over the course of the weekend, through a leak from The Guardian, the Labour whips became aware of the plot and sought to quell it. Determined to push ahead, the ringleaders - who have never been identified - let it be known that they would seek to launch the coup against Brown in public 'soon'. On Sunday 7th June, it was reported from 'Downing Street sources' that Gordon Brown had scheduled an unexpected meeting with The Queen at Buckingham Palace. Initially seen a baseless threat to the plotters, many MPs remained on board with the plan and were preparing to publish their letter demanding Brown's resignation that coming week. However, on Tuesday 9th June, after visiting The Queen the previous evening, Brown announced to the country that he was calling a general election to be held on Thursday 9th July. Despite historically poor results in the local and European elections, Brown said that an election was "necessary" to "cement" Labour's mandate to govern and "remove the instability" from the government and Parliament as a whole, after the Government's shock defeat on a vote a few weeks beforehand. The media and commentators immediately branded the snap 2009 election as a 'kamikaze election'. With Labour polling as low as 21%, well behind David Cameron's Conservative Party, the move was seen as a 'suicide mission' to make Labour plotters regret their behaviour and treatment of Brown and crash the Labour Party out of government.

The election produced a historically poor result for Labour, winning 208 seats in the new House of Commons - their worst performance since 1935. The party also dropped over 11% to 23.8% of the national popular vote - their worst showing since 1918 - and left government after 12 years with Brown resigning as Prime Minister and as Leader of the Labour Party on 10th July. The Conservative Party achieved their first overall majority since 1992 and their best electoral performance since 1987, winning 358 seats (an overall majority of 66) and 37.3% of the vote, which saw David Cameron invited to form a new government by The Queen after Brown's resignation. The Liberal Democrats lost over a fifth of their seats, falling to 48, and just under a fifth of their share of the vote, falling to 17.9%, leading to calls for the resignation of Nick Clegg as party leader. The Scottish National Party achieved their best ever result in a general election, winning 33.8% of the vote in Scotland (topping the vote for the first time after Labour fell to 33%) and gaining 8 new seats to take their total to a record 14 seats out of the 59 seats in Scotland. Alex Salmond, the SNP leader and First Minister of Scotland, said the result "paved the way" for a referendum on Scottish independence "in the near future".

David Cameron formed his government on 10th July and appointed George Osborne as First Secretary of State and Chancellor of the Exchequer, William Hague as Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Secretary and Chris Grayling as Home Secretary. Other appointments included Liam Fox as Defence Secretary, Michael Gove as Education Secretary, Theresa May as Work & Pensions Secretary and Ken Clarke as Business Secretary. The Conservative government embarked a programme of significant spending cuts to bring the large budget deficit down in the wake of the Great Recession.

H1YieDH.png

Here's something I've been working on for a couple weeks now.
What started out as a little thought experiment, documented on my test thread, turned into a total of 17 wikiboxes, exploring the potentials of what could have been.

One of the less plausible things there is who Jack and Bobby have the same number of kids as OTL when Jack’s youngest son was born (and died shortly after birth) few months before his death and Bobby’s youngest daughter was born after his (true who Ethel was already 40 years old but she was clearly against any kind of birth control while Jackie was only 34 years old)

ITTL America is a dominant-party state and the Federalist are the dominant party, correct? For how long have they been the governing party? And how does North America look like?
I didn't think about it too greatly, but they have clearly been the dominant party from 1800 to the present day. Even if the believed in the Bill of Rights and all that in 1800 they must have moved towards a position of authoritarian control by the 21st Century. Maybe the Bill of Rights has been abridged ("Now we have a standing army and no militias, the 2nd amendment is null!")

They must have instituted systems (packing the Supreme Court; election-rigging - which I suppose won't be called Gerrymandering given Gerry is never going to get near the governorship of great Federalist Massachuseets - exclusion of "seditionists" from power).

Of course the question is what if their opponents win an election then use their authoritarian systems against them; I hand-wave these away; their opponents meet resistance at the grassroots (who can resist the Federal-appointed Postmaster! More seriously the Federal state governments) and also preside over slumps, leading to the natural party of Government coming back next time.

You note America is as a price of this a feeble power, unable to forge west of the Mississippi (who is there? France or Spain? I don't know), with a much smaller population west of the Alleghenies than OTL and much less of a punch on the world stage.

Last edited:
At least with George III you had the honesty of sticking with one family. I do not understand the fascination a supposedly egalitarian republic has in creating and sustaining dynasties and granting political power purely because of a person's surname and heritage.
Why do Americans presume George III was their oppressor? He had some sway over the appointment of Governments, but the choice of the Commons would generally prevail; he didn't veto any Bills passed by Parliament (no monarch had since 1707). Your beef was with a Parliament passing bills that had been elected on a limited franchise but still more representative than almost any legislative assembly in the world.

Come back into the Commonwealth, get a Governor General, 50 Governors in the states, 50 state Premiers, Parliamentary systems, and work on the lines of Canada, you'll see the Crown causes you no problems. Even Ozzies grumpy at 1975 realise the Queen is a poppet and a pet and no problem at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.