Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes V (Do Not Post Current Politics Here)

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Oppo, Nov 10, 2017.

1. writofcertiorari Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any suggestion for this infobox (made for my timeline)?

desktop.JPG

2. krinsbez Well-Known Member

Amazing!

Although, Nathan Fillion isn't tall enough to be Harry.

(granted, neither was Paul Blackthorne)
    I second this!

Lost the game likes this.
  3. Kermode Well-Known Member

But which is your homeland ITTL? :)

The basic idea I had here is that the Austro-Prussian War ends with a decisive Austrian victory, and Prussia is loses territory (namely its Rhine provinces) while Austria cements themselves as the leading player in the German Confederation. However, the Habsburgs' attention is divided between the Confederation and their non-German lands, and so the Confederation doesn't coalesce into anything greater, and it withers into irrelevance. The Confederation is then followed by a few other attempts at unification but none of those go anywhere, either, until the German Union is established in the 1950s (and even then, it didn't really get going until the 70s). "German Unification" is still a romantic dream ITTL, and the German Union is supposed to be the organization to finally do it.

For the rest of your questions, I'll go point-by-point:
    • Noric Republic was actually a proposed name for the Republic of Austria IOTL. The reasoning behind it was that since the new state of German-Austria didn't want to be seen as a successor to the Habsburgs, picking a name unrelated to them would more readily symbolize their break. That reasoning made sense to me so I thought I'd use it here. Plus it gives a little bit of extra flavour.
    • Baustritt (that's my name for it) is driven by Bavaria having a very strong regional identity and being more conservative than most of the states, so it feels increasingly out-of-place in the DU as integration ramps up in the 2000s.
    • Hamburg's late admittance is meant as a reference to Hamburg's OTL late admittance to the Zollverein. But they have similar objections to the DU: Hamburg is a port town that relies a lot on trade, and joining the DU means abandoning its current trade agreements in favour of the DU's. It wasn't until the 90s that the DU had become a large enough of trading bloc for Hamburg to seriously consider membership.
    • All the members are democratic; it's a prerequisite to joining. Seven constitutional monarchies: Bavaria, Hannover, Liechtenstein, Lippe, Prussia, Saxony and Westphalia.
    • as for the Union's politics… well, that would be a natural follow-up should I continue this (and I do have a few ideas), so I'll refrain from answering except to say, yes, there are leftists and greens in government.
    Happy to see it sparked your curiosity!

4. Red Arturoist Napoleon II. - Marxist-Arturoist-Trałkaist Donor

If OTL borders are intact, then it would be Bavaria.

Kermode likes this.
  5. Nivek Resident Videogame Expert

We need a ross perot infobox

6. TwisterAce Looks like a 17-year-old Steve Carell

7. Catsmate Well-Known Member

Those are very high civilian death tolls.

Ohheckitsian and EbolaMan131 like this.
  8. THeaven I am the Watcher

president Batman.png
    OK the other day I watched the episode of Batman where Penguin ran for Mayor and Batman(not Bruce Wayne) ran against him. long story short the episode ended with both parties asking him to run for President in 68 which he politely refuses, and my thought was "No you could have prevented Nixon!!!" so I made this as a gag

9. EbolaMan131 Dick Pound 2020

Bruh what if batman IS nixon?

10. CapitalistHippie Peace, love, and free markets.

Maybe TTL’s Batman has to resign when his secret identity is revealed

11. AUGGP Well-Known Member

I thought you said both parties, wouldnt he therefore run under a coalition ticket?

PopulistBean likes this.
  12. krinsbez Well-Known Member

Is that allowed?

PopulistBean and gap80 like this.
  13. THeaven I am the Watcher

Because this was a joke post I was lazy and didn't want to try and alter the polling. Had I been more ambitious I would have replaced Humphrey (Batman is clearly a Democrat)

PopulistBean and AUGGP like this.
  14. AUGGP Well-Known Member

Yea I believe so. I dont see why it wouldn't be.

15. CapitalistHippie Peace, love, and free markets.

It’s allowed it just would likely never happen. Last time I think it was a realistic possibility was when both parties courted Eisenhower in the late 1940’s and even then there’d be splinters

16. movingmillion Writing unrealistic drabble

What is the extent of Current Politics? Would something up to 2018 count?

17. Peebs Running With Scissors

I think the official guideline is between the previous cycle and the next.

Omar04 likes this.
  18. Planita13 Wishing for a Lake

From my A Shining Valley TL, elections! Shout out to Nofix and Gonzo for being an inspiration!

By the time election year rolled around, the Democratic Norcross Administration was in a bind. While President Anderson Norcross had a couple of foreign policy successes under his belt, in the end most voters cared about their paychecks more. The economy continued to wind down throughout 2016, and some economists worried that it could completely stagnate by years end. The President was still broadly popular, especially in the Industrial Belt, but when he declared his intention to run for a second term, Christian Labor smelled blood in the water. In turn they nominated James Wallace, a military veteran and senator from Missouri.

However it was the year of the populist tide, and neither the mainstream factions fully grasped the implications. First it was the collapse of the Christian Labor in the Deep South a year before. Southerners furious over the end of protectionist policies and the CL’s support of the removal of Confederate states defected to form the Southern Labor faction. Wallace and the rest of the leadership at first blew off the faction assuming that the defectors would return to the fold, but when they fielded notable firebrand Willam Robertson and the first polls came in, Christian Labor knew that they had a problem.

Secondly the weakening economy was accompanied by the meteoric rise of the American market right. The Moderates’s liberal platform attracted many voters tired of the power of the unions over the nation’s economy and the nation’s socially conservative laws. While they had existed since the 1980s only since the 2008 election, did they rise to any significance. They nominated self-made billionaire, philanthropist, and humanitarian Henry Gates.

The United Left nominated Benjamin Sanders, a notable social activist and popular Senator from Vermont. He represented a large break from the large anti-capitalist caucuses in the United Left, which he hoped could draw in disaffected Democratic Left voters. Although the United Left is one of the most vocal and liberal forces for socially liberal policies, Sanders effectively shared the same economic policies with the Democratic Left.

Finally the various ethnic interests caucuses once again chose to run under a fusion ticket as they had for the past several elections. While they do not share policies or positions, they run under a joint ticket to win delegates and influence at the Convention. They nominated Leonard Innis from Free Labor, continuing the tradition of rotating the nomination between each major caucus.

By March it was clear that the primary would be wild and unpredictable. The economic growth shrunk with President Norcoss’s poll numbers, whose campaign floundered for a couple of weeks before righting himself. Meanwhile Christian Labor focused its efforts on winning back the Deep South, which infamously culminated in a personal spat between Wallace and Roberston. It put a serious dent into the persona that Wallace tried to cultivate as a calm, collected character. The two candidates of the main factions struggled to gain momentum, leaving the door open for populist forces to exploit..

Meanwhile Henry Gates was largely successful at remaining above the fray, instead focusing on healing the infamously fractious caucuses in the Moderates and forming a united front in order to boost their chances. His socially and economically liberal platform already appealed to the urban liberals on the coast, but Gates moved to court new constituencies. He found broad support from the libertarian-minded voters of the Mountain States who were attracted by Gate’s promises of personal freedom. He was already well known in the region as his Foundation played a major role in rebuilding the region’s dated infrastructure. He was accused by Wallace and Norcross of exploiting his wealth to garner votes, but his supporters didn’t care.

Another constituency Gates courted was the growth Hispanic vote, which traditionally backed Chrisitan Labor. While his efforts among older Hispanics were mixed at best, he found the most success with middle ages and young HIspanic voters. In fact, somewhat unexpectedly, Gates found broad support from younger voters dissatisfied with the current union dominated standard quo. While attempts at outreach were mixed at best, it was undeniable that he was the first choice of most young voters. The leadership hoped that the competitive coalition they forged of urban liberals, young voters, and the libertarian-minded voters of the Mountain States.

Dissatisfied voters turning away from the uninspiring Norcross campaign instead looked toward Sanders’ campaign. While it was a boon to his run for the nomination, Sanders had to constantly fend off attacks by factions members from the far-left, who tepid with his run to begin with. The criticism that Sanders shifted toward a more moderate stance just to be palatable with more voters, proved to be founded based upon Sanders voting record in the Senate.

Slowly but surely President Norcross lost ground to the other candidates. Senator Wallace pulled ahead into a slight lead head of the pack, but Wallace was unable to fully benefit from the stuttering campaign of his chief rival. Most of it had to do with Gate’s meteoric rise in the polls and thus they turned their attention on each other. Gates was attacked as an out of touch billionaire with no political experience and thus unqualified to be President. Gates hit back, most famously accusing Wallace and Norcross being two sides of the same coin.

As September neared, it became clear that unless the polls were off by miles in one way or another that the coming Convention would be the most fractional in history. The polls showed a three way race between Christian Labor, the Moderates, and the Democratic Left. Some showed Wallace with an insurmountable lead, some appeared to show a last minute surge for Norcross, and others showed a Moderate win likely. When the day came on September 5th, Americans across the country watched as the results slowly trickled in from all the primary elections.
    [​IMG]
    The final results were unsurprising and surprising at the same time when the last delegates were finally allocated by 4 AM the next day. It was no surprise that the main candidates would perform poorly but not this poorly. The Democratic Left was delegated to third place with the worst primary results for a incumbent President in political history. Wallace also had the dubious honor by being the front-runner with the lowest percentage of votes and delegates in history. The Moderates had much to celebrate with their almost full sweep of the West and over-performing in the Mid-Atlantic region. Later research would show that Gates was able to draw voters from Christian Labor and the Democratic Left, rather than from the latter. Southern Labor also effectively carried the Deep South, further hindering Christian Labor and with the amount of infighting between the two in the campaign, the split looks to be permanent. Innis and the People of America also had something to celebrate for, as the German American Association managed to win Sioux by a thread from all the vote splitting in the state. Nevertheless they shook hands and parted ways for the Convention in October.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  19. Kermode Well-Known Member

"Current politics" means anything that is difficult if not impossible to discuss without bringing in discussion/debate about current trends, figures or policies. It's intentionally a bit broad, but as a rule of thumb: it means the latest election and the next one, as well as anything that involves current major figures in other circumstances (eg: the 2000 US presidential election isn't current… but a 2000 election where Trump runs and wins is, because now it's effectively impossible to talk about without comparisons to OTL's Trump).

If you're still unsure, ask yourself: "Can people talk about the scenario depicted without starting a debate about modern politics?" If no, then it's current politics.

20. Oppo Nationalize Five Guys

The October Crisis

October 2006 was the start of two wars between the Western world and so-called “rogue nations.” Both conflicts were tremendous foreign policy embarrassments for the West and resulted in the first use of nuclear weapons in warfare since World War II.

The conflict started on October 3, 2006, when an underground nuclear explosion was detected by US intelligence. Following this, the North Korean government announced it has successfully performed a nuclear test. President North began to ramp up U.S. rhetoric with Korea, saying that “no options are off the table.” Without consulting the South Korean government of President Roh Moo-hyun, North ordered a preemptive nuclear strike on Pyongyang on October 13, believing that an attack from the DPRK was imminent. Minutes later, the North Koreans retaliated by launching an attack on the capital of Seoul, wiping out the South Korean government and destroying most major industry. Despite the deaths of countless South Korean leaders, President Roh Moo-hyun, who was in Beijing, survived. With both Koreas having much of their leadership taken out, military commanders acted on their own orders and rushed any remaining soldiers to the frontlines. President North quickly ordered all US troops in the Pacific to be taken to Korea and swiftly capitulate the North Korean government. The death of Kim Il-sung left no credible government to accept a surrender, and while North Korea swiftly fell under US-ROK occupation, insurgencies have continued to this day. The South Korean economy collapsed, destroying several important industries. The world economy quickly spiraled into a recession.

[​IMG]

At home, the American public were outraged President North could start a conflict that left millions killed and brought more destabilization to the region. The 2006 midterm elections gave the Democratic Party under Tom Daschle and David Bonior a supermajority. Already, several Democratic leaders were pledging to introduce articles of impeachment for launching an unjust nuclear attack, on top of other offenses committed during the North administration, such as the bombing of Pakistan. Congressional investigations also strayed tarted looking at possible extortion charges committed by the president.

On October 15th, 2006, an incident took place between the British and Iranian navies. Upon hearing a voice claiming British naval ships would be exploded, Britain fired at the five Iranian patrol boats. A full naval battle escalated, leading Prime Minister Tony Blair to issue a declaration of war on Iran, expecting a quick victory. It was later revealed that the threats were not the product of the Iranian navy but were a Filipino monkey prank. At the same time, Israel were at war with Lebanon and Syria due to conflicts with the Iranian-backed Hezbollah. Prime Minister Avigdor Lieberman joined Blair’s war. Iran promptly responded with air strikes on Tel Aviv, and Israel was met with various terrorist attacks from an energized Muslim world.

The Anglo-Israeli forces launched a naval invasion on the Southern coast of Iran, expecting an easy war that would quickly bring Tehran to the negotiating table. They were wrong, as 19 ships and over 20,000 servicemen ended up on the bottom of the Persian Gulf. While Lieberman wanted to continue the war, possibly invoking the Samson Option, Tony Blair knew his political career was over. Nine years in office turned the charismatic pretty face of Cool Britannia into a heartless warmonger. A dozen hard left MPs defected to the Respect Party, whilst Gordon Brown swiftly made his move and removed Blair from office. The ensuing general election in early 2007 gave a resounding boost to Edward Leigh’s Tories and the Liberal Democrats of Charles Kennedy (who had made a triumphant comeback). Leigh formed a majority government after Labour fell to their lowest numbers since 1983. Lieberman left power in Israel in favor of Ami Ayalon, though the surging far-right in Israel used the war as a rallying cry. The ensuing peace treaty forced Israel to return to its 1967 borders, although negotiations toward the formation of a Palestinian state were unsuccessful, leaving the West Bank in a state of limbo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]