Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes V (Do Not Post Current Politics Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 4898

This is a slightly ill-thought out world in which the British Liberal Party didn't fall apart into squabbling factions in the 1920s, and that fate befell the Conservatives instead. As a result, the Liberal Party became more right-wing in opposition to Labour, and in 2018 resembles more of a European conservative liberal party along the lines of the Netherlands' VVD.

Oh, and the Liberal instituted some sort of proportional representation system in the 1920s, and all British governments are various shades of multi-party coalition.

As a sequel to this post, here are some political parties from this world, starting with those on the left. Please do inform me if this violated the current politics rule; the POD for this is in the 1920s, but obviously these images involve contemporary political figures.

left.png

Last edited by a moderator:
As a sequel to this post, here are some political parties from this world, starting with those on the left. Please do inform me if this violated the current politics rule; the POD for this is in the 1920s, but obviously these images involve contemporary political figures.
Could you go into more detail about The Alternative? There seems to be quite an overlap between them and the Greens, so I'm curious as to what lead to the split (and if there's even any attempt to put daylight between them, or if the goal is just to supplant them entirely).

Yes, I suppose.
Well, I wasn't able to post it before Yom Kippur, but I'll do it now:
rtOeKNE.png

As a point of clarification, before anyone asks, Forrest is there not because I agree with his racist beliefs, obviously, but because I admire that he was able to recognize that he'd gone too far and that things were getting out of hand, and then attempted to dissolve the KKK.

Quite a few of the others, are there for similar reasons, care to guess which?

Last edited:
I'm not opposed to returning to re-run KHA. I just decided I needed a break after PI, and then decided I needed a longer one when I tried to start the Star Wars game.

I have been thinking about coming back to Shared Worlds recently and either re-starting KHA's, running a Congressional Elections version of PI or a British version of PI. Just not decided. But if you were very keen to do KHA, I'd be happy to pass on the game files. Then you wouldn't have to wait until I finally decided to come back.

I mean, if you were planning to do it in the future, then I certainly don't want to be a nuisance and steal your thunder, but I'd be happy to carry on your legacy with a new rendition of KHA.

Deleted member 4898

Could you go into more detail about The Alternative? There seems to be quite an overlap between them and the Greens, so I'm curious as to what lead to the split (and if there's even any attempt to put daylight between them, or if the goal is just to supplant them entirely).
I imagined The Alternative as a left-wing populist movement primarily, not too dissimilar to something like Podemos – or even M5S in certain respects. It has a broad ideology; it's all things to all people. Rather than an ideological split with the Greens, I imagine it was formed by people who saw the Greens' vote share collapse and thought they could do better with a more populist message. TTL Britain has a proportional system that allows for splits like this to happen, and the country would experience the kind of fragmentation that's currently going on in OTL proportional systems in Europe.

"There was a time when making electronic music meant making the future. The mainstream scenes that permeated the 60s and 70s saw themselves as vanguards which had managed to bring the sound of tomorrow forward, leading to a situtation where each would try to out-future the other whilst forsaking innovation. Kowalczyk[1], dismayed by the trajectory that the genre he helped developed was taking, famously declared 'if this is tomorrow, then tomorrow must be a boring wasteland.' One scene developing in the European underground agreed.

Centred around the insipient IKR boxes[2] of the 70s, the zifscene were a loose group of musicians and bands who wanted to bring back the transformative power of electronic music Kowalczyk spoke of in his halcyon days. Whereas the mainstream interpreted this transformation as constant progress towards an imagined future, the zifscene focused on a transformation of the mind, invoking new landscapes in the listener unable to be placed on any conventional scale of time.

[...]

I never knew how much I wanted a Polish alter-Kraftwerk before I saw this.

Anyone on Mac who uses Nimbus to screenshot their Wikiboxes, have you got an alternative? The extension is playing up and saving images in awful quality for some reason.

I really want to listen to this album…
I never knew how much I wanted a Polish alter-Kraftwerk before I saw this.
I don't have the the musical talent to make it real, but imagine a mashup between Kraftwerk and Boards of Canada with the attitude and aesthetic of a schizo tech 70's vaporwave. The band's actually from France, though not all of its members are French.

--

"5. Sigma Robotnik
Often nicknamed la Brikestro (roughly "the brick that leads"), the Robotnik was the luggable workhorse for anyone who needed lots of power in a fairly compact package. La Brikestro earned much of its reputation through its popularity in music production, with cult band Network utilising its power in their array of analogue and digital instruments. Also notable: this was the machine that popularised the punktilo[1], with Sigma itself using it on its notebooks well into the late 90s."
—Jurij Popoviĉ. 10 Iconic Computers of the 1970s, Compujournal Ireland, 21 September 2018.

AzcFbMY.png

[1] trackpoint
Naskiĝo de nova tago

I don't have the the musical talent to make it real, but imagine a mashup between Kraftwerk and Boards of Canada with the attitude and aesthetic of a schizo tech 70's vaporwave. The band's actually from France, though not all of its members are French.

--

"5. Sigma Robotnik
Often nicknamed la Brikestro (roughly "the brick that leads"), the Robotnik was the luggable workhorse for anyone who needed lots of power in a fairly compact package. La Brikestro earned much of its reputation through its popularity in music production, with cult band Network utilising its power in their array of analogue and digital instruments. Also notable: this was the machine that popularised the punktilo[1], with Sigma itself using it on its notebooks well into the late 90s."
—Jurij Popoviĉ. 10 Iconic Computers of the 1970s, Compujournal Ireland, 21 September 2018.

[1] trackpoint
Naskiĝo de nova tago

Is this supposed to be something akin to the Fairlight CMI, but without the keyboard?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairlight_CMI

Is this supposed to be something akin to the Fairlight CMI, but without the keyboard?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairlight_CMI

Partially - it's more of a easily-expandable general purpose portable computer that became popular in music production. The model pictured is intended as a standard configuration, the OTL computer I used as the pic is the Dolch PAC 65 (a portable computer for network analysis, that, funnily enough, has some popularity amongst keyboard enthusiasts.)

The picture makes it look like he’s a character on an 80s tv show.
It was actually from a campaign featurette that they used for Ford's election campaign in '77. Ward and Ford were apparently best buds back in college and played football together -- Ward got the offer to play in the NFL while Ford turned it down and went to law school instead.

o91bpPD.png

German Federal Election, 1932 (The Stabilization of the Wiemar Republic)

Federal elections were held in Germany on 5 June 1932 to elect the 500 members of the 5th Reichstag.

The Social Democratic Party (SPD), led by the newly elected leader of the party Carl Severing, won the largest share of votes, which was an increase on the last election, and the largest share of seats in the Reichstag, although the party lost 8 seats compared to the 1928 federal election. The Centre party (ZP) massively out preformed expectations achieving over a quarter of the votes and for the first time since the 1907 federal election winning over 100 seats in the Reichstag. The German Democratic Party (DDP) also performed well, making improvements with their strong performance in the 1928 federal election and becoming the third largest party in the Reichstag. The German National People's Party (DNVP) performed poorly losing almost 5% of its votes share and being reduced to 50 seats. The Communist Party of Germany (KPD) struggled to make improvements and saw a decrease of 10 seats and the German People's Party (DVP) lost even more votes, mainly due to the death of their well liked previous leader; Gustav Stresemann.

For a second consecutive occasion, the Social Democratic Party and the German Democratic Party both formed the government after the newly elected Reichspräsident Wilhelm Marx gave the Social Democrats a mandate to seek confidence in the Reichstag. However, this time the government required external support from the German People's Party to ensure stability in government, the government agreed to introduce lower taxes on businesses and reduced tariffs in return.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.