Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes IV (Do not post Current Politics Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lilies & Lions
A few important faces from the year 2065, namely the government heads in the Crown of France-in-Europe: the Knight-Première and the Lord-Consul; and the heads of the United Earth: the Secretary-General and her current Adjoint.

In382MT.png

These guys were more for fun than anything else (I mean, I've Lavrov up there!!) as I've just moved into my first apartment and have only now got everything set up for working (both for job and for fun); I've also the finished Crown of France boxes to post soon, just making sure they're generally correct enough to be posted (nothing blatantly erroneous within the confines of my timeline lol).

Not mine at all (delete if too offensive etc) But I thought the Poms, Kiwis, Indians and even the yanks would enjoy this one.

vxQo87u.png

Where to begin, from what i recall (i'm no r/cricket regular), the mod at r/sport kept on banning Australians from their because the people from r/cricket were posting about cricket on the page. It also led to the r/sports mod messaging one of the r/cricket admins and saying some unsavoury things iirc (not to mention with the banter and insanity from those coming from r/cricket, which was lost on a lot of the american users).

This led to a sort of drama and beef between the two.

Also i can only gather that:

Sheepshaggers=kiwis
bhenchods=indians
cunts=aussies

As for Cardoons and #blacks, straight from the mouth of cricketer David Warner. As you can imagine it has become a bit of a meme. Claiming you can see the shade black better will do that to you.

CIRCLE THE WAGONS: THE SOUTH AFRICAN WAR (1993-1998)

This is a fascinating yet simultaneously depressing AH scenario. I've got plans for a South African Civil War in my eventual alternate Cold War timeline. An extremely bloody and multi-sided ethnic conflict followed by the partition of South Africa is essentially what I came up with as well.

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 3.25.22 pm.png

Not sure what thread this should go in but ill deal with that after people purge me for putting it in the wrong thread

Hillary D Rhodam Is a businesswoman from Arkansas who moved there after finishing her college degree. She is unmarried and has built a successful company off real-estate. After fluctuating between parties she won the 2016 Republican party presidential primaries as the Business candidate (Think of a more successful Carly Fiorina)

Donald J Trump is a Senator from the state of New York being elected in 2000. He Was a united state's representative from Manhattan since 1988 and has been regarded as one of the most controversial but also one of the Strongest and Most Bipartisan Politicians in America.

Eventually, Hillary Clinton was beat by Donald trump. Experts said it was Trump's populist but patriotic campaign and his Strong Debate performance while Hillary was at times a Little lost on policy detail and sometimes absolutely clueless on what to say and waffled her way through.

Inspired by this very good (and very fake; it was created as an advert for another show) trailer for a series set in "modern day" Westeros, I decided to do my own take on it.
mWGoBGg.png

The United Kingdom of Westeros and the Narrow Sea, commonly known as the United Kingdom (UK) or Westeros, is a nation that encompasses the continent of Westeros and the westernmost parts of Essos. In Essos, it is bordered by Braavos and New Valyria. The United Kingdom is the one of the constituent countries of the Imperial Federation, an organization of nations that share a monarch and partial common government. The Westerosi and Essosi portions of the kingdom are divided by the body of water known as the Narrow Sea.

The United Kingdom is a federal representative chartered monarchy with 20 regions. The monarch is Damon XXII, who has reigned since 9.27.1952 1S. The capital of the United Kingdom is King's Landing, which, with a population of seven million, is its second largest city, behind only Lannisport. Westeros is highly urbanized and has many cities with populations numbering in the millions, mostly located around the coast.

The first united nation on the continent of Westeros was the kingdom forged by Aegon I Targaryen. This kingdom, which is referred to by historians as the Targaryen Monarchy or the First Kingdom, collapsed in 302 AC with the extinction of both the Targaryen dynasty and the legitimate Baratheon dynasty which had deposed it 20 years earlier. It was followed by centuries of divided kingdoms until the rise of Damon Hill, who adopted the name Starsblood and conquered the continent in the ten year war called the Second Conquest. The Second Kingdom or First Starsblood Monarchy collapsed with the assassination of Damon I in 590. The Second Kingdom was replaced by the Kings Council era where the kingdoms were independent again but highly cooperative. This period ended when Damon II, son of Damon I, completed the Great Reunification and started the Third Kingdom. Westeros has remained united since then with the exception of a few internal disputes.

Representative government was first introduced to all of Westeros during the People's Revolt, which took place in the early years of the Third Kingdom. The boy king Damon IV was forced to accept the demands of the rebel alliance, which included signing the Great Charter of Westeros, forming the Popular Assembly, and giving power of Regency and thus governance to the Speaker, until then merely a ceremonial representative of the populace. Over time, reform has changed the assembly to be a democratically elected body with the electorate consisting of all adult citizens.

The dominant language of the United Kingdom is the Common Tongue, which is spoken across the nation, although the Old Tongue is spoken by a minority in the North and Valyrian dialects remain in common use in the eastern regions. The primary religion is Unitarian Sevenism, followed by Septarian Sevenism, Rhllorism, and the Elder Gods, in that order. Due to the differences in religion, there is no official state religion, although the monarchs have traditionally been Unitarian since the days of Damon I.

The main unit of currency in the United Kingdom is the Dragon (Ð). The metal Dragon is equal to 10 silver stags ($), and one stag is equal to 10 copper stars (¢). The paper Dragon is equivalent to 5 paper laughers (Ł). This means two stags make a laugher. The laugher is named for King Loren the Laugher, who was the first king to use paper banknotes.

Time zones across the world are based on Oldtown Standard Time, the system developed by the Maester of Oldtown. The continent of Westeros can roughly be divided into OST and OST+1, while the lands across the Narrow Sea fall into OST+2. The far flung island of Lonely Light falls into OST-2.

In the United Kingdom, the date is written in the Day/Month/Year format followed by the Seasonal year. For example, 1S indicates the first year of summer, while 1W indicated the first year of winter. 1WS is the first year of spring and 1SW is the first year of autumn.
----
The Monarchy of the United Kingdom is the monarchy of the United Kingdom. The current and 22nd monarch is Damon XXII, who is the descendant of Damon I in the unbroken direct male line. The king's primary residence is the castle of Starsblood Hall, a giant bayside palace located south of the Blackwater in the New City. The current heir apparent is Elaena Starsblood, Princess of Dragonstone, the first female heiress in all Westeros since Rhaenyra Targaryen, who was never formally recognized as queen. The succession law was changed in 1267 in the reign of Damon XXI, establishing absolute primogeniture as the law. This did not change anything at the time, as the future Damon XXII was the king's eldest son, but it now means that Princess Elaena is the heir as opposed to her uncle Jason, Prince of Summerhall.

The coat of arms is the Bleeding Star, the personal arms of Damon I. Damon I was the bastard son of King Gerold Lannister and Princess Elia Dayne, and initially used a red version of the Dayne arms when he was recognized. At the start of his conquest, he designed his own arms, changing the red Dayne arms to the Bleeding Star designed. He was inspired by the "bleeding star" or red comet, which passed over the world around the time of his birth and returned again to mark his campaign to unite the continent. The Bleeding Star arms are now synonymous with the royal house and the nation, and the arms inspired the later flag, called the Stars and Stripes.
----
The Speaker of the People of Westeros and the Narrow Sea is the head of government of the United Kingdom and the Chief Magistrate of the Government Council. The Speaker, as head of government, is the representative of the people to the monarch, and since the Revolution has wielded all governmental power, exercising it as the sovereign's chosen officer. The office of Speaker is mandated in the Second Article of the Great Charter, with primary duties and responsibilities also outlined there. Over the centuries, the Speaker has come to wield much more power than was originally established and is now able to appoint all the Magisters of the Government Council. The Speaker's official residence in Speaker's Hall, which is located at the bottom of Rhaenys's Hill, while at the top of the hill is the Dragonpit, the meeting place of the Assembly. Although the Speaker and the Popular Assembly theoretically serve at His Grace's pleasure, since the passage of the Fixed Terms Act of 1274, they serve five year terms between elections, and the monarch is not allowed to dissolve the Assembly or dismiss the Speaker until then or without a vote by the Assembly. The Speaker is generally the choice of the majority club in the Assembly. The current Speaker, Tristifer Fletcher, is a member of the Phoenix Club, whose origins date back to the earliest revolutionaries. Fletcher was nominated by his Club and won the election of 1288 upon the resignation of the disgraced Elbert Mason.
----
Dragons have been extinct for centuries, since the death of Daenerys Targaryen, the last of her house, who was commonly known as the Last Dragon. The Others were thought to be gone at the same time, but in the 9th century, they were discovered by a ranging of the Night's Watch. A massive, industrially armed military expedition of the continental army set forth beyond the Wall and into the Lands of Always Winter and destroyed the last of them for good. With the death of the last greenseer, Brandon Stark, the Lost Prince of the North, all magic is thought to be gone from the world. However, unbeknownst to anyone, shadowy corporations and their scientists are secretly trying to restore these forces to the world.

The old lords and ladies are no more either. Most small houses went extinct or fell into genteel poverty, eventually becoming no more than peasants, forced to sell their castles and lands to merchants and businessmen for wealth to begin again. The great houses, the houses that once were kings of their kingdoms, still exist. They are all part of the Lords Council. Stark, Lannister, Hightower, these families are nothing but wealthy people with nice titles. Their once great castles lie at the centers of sprawling cities, dwarfed by skyscrapers. Other minor lords still exist, having been able to survive the end of the feudal structure and reform themselves to find new sources of wealth. Most of their castles lie in the countryside, far from an increasingly urbanizing population, though not for long, as the crowded cities expand deeper inland.
----

So there you have it. Modern day Westeros. I gave hints about what a potential story in this setting could be, the mad scientists trying to bring back dragons and reanimate the dead and do all sorts of long forgotten magics. Such a story would not involved the nobility, the political aspect would be replaced with the government politics and characters would be normal people.

The Midwest has long been home to third parties. In the 1870s, the Greenback Party arose there to oppose monopoly and the gold standard. In the 1890s, Populists like Nebraska's William Jennings Bryan and Iowa's James B. Weaver (a former Greenback) supported bimetallism, an income tax, and nationalized utilities. The Non-Partisan League held onto power in North Dakota and the Farmer-Laborites in Minnesota. Wisconsin's own Robert LaFollette ran as a Progressive several times.

The American League capitalized on that history, and the remnants of it that still remained. Philip LaFollette, Governor of Wisconsin and son of Robert LaFollette, ran as Long's running mate in Wisconsin, former Governor "Wild Bill" Langer of the NPL ran in the Dakotas, and Governor Floyd Olson of the Farmer-Labor Party ran in Minnesota.

This had some repercussions.

One major effect was that several politicians who ran for Vice President - and then President - were hence either legally or practically prohibited from running for other offices. Philip La Follette, while technically eligible to be elected to the Governorship, decided to focus instead on campaigning for the Vice Presidency.

This was not as counterintuitive as it sounds, even knowing - as both Long and La Follette did - that the American League didn't have a snowball's chance in New Orleans of winning the Presidency. La Follette had ambitions of forming a national Progressive Party, combining the reach of his father's Presidential runs with the depth of the Wisconsin Progressive Party that Philip and his brother Robert Jr. had built. Leaving the Governorship allowed La Follette to have influence in a future third party - the one Long planned to build, according to La Follette - while demonstrating that the Wisconsin Progressives had members other than the La Follette family.

There were a number of candidates in the primary, but by far the top dog was Ralph Immell, the Adjutant General of Wisconsin, in which capacity he commanded the Wisconsin National Guard. Immell was a family friend of the La Follettes who had served as Adjutant General for more than a decade. He had first gained fame for enforcing Governor John Blaine's order for the Wisconsin National Guard not to participate in a series of "defense tests" in 1924. More recently, in 1933, he had worked to end a strike carries out by Wisconsin dairy farmers. In doing so, he worked alongside Milo Reno, then president of the Farm Holiday Association.

Immell won a solid victory in the primaries and went on to the general election. He would be facing both a Democrat and a Republican there. The Democrat was State Senator Edward Carroll, a leader of the conservative faction in the legislature who had won plaudits for defeating a 209-million-dollar public works bill supported by La Follette. Conservative former Chippewa County District Attorney Alexander Wiley, meanwhile, was the Republican.

In the end, it wasn't even close. Immell had the support of a popular Governor and the de facto endorsements of both Huey Long and Franklin Roosevelt. Meanwhile, the two conservatives split the vote between them.

Screen_Shot_2017-09-05_at_11.png

Milo Reno, meanwhile, was both a presumptive candidate for Governor of Iowa and very, very, sick by the time Ralph Immell was inaugurated. He eventually passed away in April of 1937.

His death left a power vacuum in the Iowan branch of the American League. They needed a candidate for the Governorship desperately. Governor Clyde Herring, considered a conservative Democrat, would not be standing for re-election, and the expected candidates of the two main parties were Guy Gillette, a Democratic member of the House who had helped defeat several New Deal bills, and George Wilson, a Republican former state senator who had run previously in 1936.

Meanwhile, Agriculture Secretary and native Iowan Henry Wallace was growing disillusioned with the slow pace of New Deal improvement, a pace made slower by many pro-New Deal members of Congress being outflanked by more left-wing candidates. His proposed farm bills were watered down by conservatives and put down by liberals. He wanted an out.

On a visit to his home state, he found one. The precise details for how the "Draft Wallace" movement arose are lost to the ages. What is known is that in late August of 1937, Wallace met with farm leaders, including Roswell Garst. And by early September, Roswell Garst was President of the Draft Wallace Organization.

Wallace initially declined the nomination of the American League, in an effort not to burn his bridges with the President, who saw the American League as a concord of impractical idealists hell-bent on destroying his administration for ideological reasons and Wallace as a potential running mate in 1940. Instead, Wallace decided to run in the Democratic primary. The defection of many leftists to the American League hurt his chances there, though, and Guy Gillette won in a squeaker of a result.

Wallace pressed on, with the support of his President (whose distaste for the American League did not outweigh his preference for a pro-New Deal governor in the archetypal farm state). During the campaign, he wrote dozens of telegrams to the President, working out a strategy to defeat the American League even as he was surrounded by its leaders. On Election Day, 1938, Henry A. Wallace, a Republican appointed to the Cabinet by a Democrat, was elected Governor of Iowa as a member of the American League.

Screen_Shot_2017-09-06_at_12.png

Wallace planned to leave the American League shortly after his election. Despite everything, he still believed in Franklin Roosevelt and the New Deal. There's a legend I can't confirm that states that Wallace planned to announce this on December 9, 1938.

The reason this is significant is that on December 8, conservatives in Congress went to President Roosevelt with the Agricultural Normalization Act. The bill repealed several portions of the Agricultural Adjustment Act, and cut several programs of the Department of Agriculture. If the bill were not passed, the conservatives who came to the White House alongside the bill said, they would filibuster any and all other major bills the President tried to get through Congress.

Roosevelt was caught between a rock and a hard place. When he chose the rock and signed the bill, Wallace reconsidered his options. So did a lot of Governors, Senators, and Representatives from across the Midwest. Six Democrats from the Farm Belt - from Oklahoma to Iowa - left the party in the Senate alone over the ANA.

In late 1939, a number of senators - the reported list is Elmer Thomas of Oklahoma, George Norris of Nebraska, Henrik Shipstead of Minnesota, Robert LaFollette Jr. of Wisconsin, and Tom Berry of South Dakota - were talking about the upcoming 1940 election. Eventually, the topic came to the question of who would run for the Presidency.

Before too long, the senators had decided that the Farmer-Labor Party of Minnesota, the Progressive Party of Wisconsin, and the various "American League" organizations that filled the Midwest should nominate a joint candidate for President, and that the senators from those parties should officially form a caucus to increase their power. While those members of Congress were informally referred to as the "Farmers' Bloc", somebody remembered the title of a Thomas Paine pamphlet.

And so fourteen Senators from ten states formed the Agrarian Justice Caucus.

The next year, hundreds of delegates gathered under clear skies at the Iowa State Fairgrounds to elect a Presidential nominee. Contrary to popular belief, while the party started in the Midwest, a number of delegates came from other states - including California, whose delegation included folk-singer Woody Guthrie and author John Steinbeck, both of whom would go on to high office. The California delegation wasn't the only place where rising stars could be found - a certain pharmacist, originally from South Dakota, who had just returned from a year at LSU was a member of the Minnesota delegation. Hubert Humphrey's story, however, is a story for another day.

By the third ballot, the nomination had come down to two candidates - the "gentle knight of progressive ideals", who could lend the party legitimacy, or the young buck who had risen through the ranks in three separate parties, who could give it energy. Henry Wallace withdrew his candidacy before the fourth ballot, and the rest was history.

Screen_Shot_2017-09-06_at_1.png

(If you'd like to see more, check out Divided We Stand!)

CIRCLE THE WAGONS: THE SOUTH AFRICAN WAR (1993-1998)

"Whilst many individuals living with the benefit of hindsight may argue over 'ifs' and 'buts', it's an almost universally acknowledged truth both believed before, during, and after the South African War that the system of Apartheid could only have ended one way; chaos."
Khethi Ramphele, 2018

Could we have a follow up featuring current day information of the various post-war states? (GDP, Population, Political Parties etc.)

Lilies & Lions
The Crown of France, often referred to as the Angevin Crown, is a sovereign country located primarily in western Europe. The sovereign territory of the Crown extends from the islands of Great Britain and Ireland, as well as many smaller islands, towards the Mediterranean Coast of France. In Italy, the southern part of the peninsula (mostly comprised of Naples) also belongs to the Crown.

The Crown of France is a constitutional, composite monarchy with a parliamentary democracy. The current monarch is Charles XIII, who has reigned since 8 October 2051. Bordeaux is the capital of the country, and where the crown sits. However, Paris serves as the seat of almost all government institutions as well as parliament. Along with Paris and Bordeaux, many of the world's largest cities are within the Crown of France. These include London, Brussels, Amsterdam, Canterbury and Marseilles. The Crown (in Europe) is composed of 4 kingdoms—France, Britannia, Naples and Ireland; as well as the Duchy of Brittany. All of these constituent parts of the Crown possess devolved governments (as per the Imperial Dissolution Act). In the case of France and Britannia, further federalisation has occurred as each are composed of constituent dominion with varying levels of further devolved power.

As of 2061, the Crown of France is a tier-1 developed country, and has a GDR score of 97.03, the fourth highest on the planet. The Crown was amongst the first industrialised powers, and has remained a strong global power, surviving multiple crises throughout the twentieth century. In 1981, the CF signed onto the Kingston Universal Peace Accords as the 6th signatory. Whilst still in a state of observation, the CF has integrated deeper into the European Community and is a full member of the European Defense Initiative.

UKfcpsQ.png
I love the stock photos :biggrin: In any case, here's more. Next up will probably be going back to the 15th century.

upload_2017-9-7_1-58-27.png

Madeleine Alexia Hiverner is the current Primary Secretariat of the High Kingdom of Aurelia, taking office after the federal election of 2016 returned a Conservative majority. She is considered a "Neo-Conservative", namely a moderate who perceives the Conservatives' traditional stances as holding them back in a time radically changed by New Democracy.

Being the first Conservative PS in 21 years, she had to adapt to the New Democracy reality, but this has created discontent with more "reactionary" Conservatives who seek to use the electoral mandate to roll back many reforms that happened in the 21 years, reforms that are rather popular with the people. The Aurelian Popular Assembly is elected by STV, so she's tacking more moderate to keep the vote-transfers from the Farmer-Liberals. The Conservatives are more and more popular by the day, even though factional tensions are obvious.

Seeing off a leadership challenge from one of her predecessors as leader in the spring of 2017, the climax of the media's playing up the "Tory Civil War", her hold on office seems secure. Of course, one thing helping her is a Democratic Party led by an unpopular leader who's essentially alienating his base with every statement he makes, leading to defections to the rising far-left Social Democrats. Oh, and there's the Farmer-Liberals, they're doing very, very well in the polls as well. Some say they have a chance to become the second-biggest party, but that was said a lot of times before and it never ever happened.

The Nova-Hibernian independence referendum in 2018 is partially down to her Neo-Conservatism, as the decidely-socially-conservative region was repeatedly alienated by New Democracy's socially-liberal reforms and was pushed over the edge by a separatist government and the Tories moderating. Time will tell if the plurinational realm of Aurelia will be less one nation. Hiverner [along with most non-separatist politicians] is strongly supporting "STAYING IN THE UNION", but "INDEPENDENCE" has a slim lead.

Sufficient to say, she's guaranteed an impact one way or another, as Aurelian politics continue to evolve and change after the end of the New Democratic era...
Blue Flames Burn Brightest
Background and map of Aurelia
Popular Assembly
Map of South America

Provinces
Nova Hibernia
New Netherland

Primary Secretariats (normally done by @wolfram)
Ramsay Monroe
Lilya Vasilyev
Madeleine Hiverner [by TB] [THIS ONE!]

Political Parties
Parti Cadien

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 12.04.35 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 1.20.21 AM.png

Star Trek: Enterprise

Kate Mulgrew
as Captain Kathryn Janeway
Tim Russ as Science Officer Tuvok