Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made an update to the infobox that I posted yesterday.

I'm not really good with making back stories, but the premise here is that the Ford Administration finishes his term with a strong economic recovery from 1970s stagflation and the 1981–82 recession. Soviet-US relations are somewhat less tense due to there being no "Evil Empire" speech, and the shootdown of KAL 007 does not happen. However, tensions are still high due to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in 1979, and the aging Soviet leadership. Due to the recovering economy, the Republicans have good prospects of winning in 1984, and Howard Baker wins the 1984 Republican Primaries against Bob Dole, Paul Laxalt, and Pete Du Pont. In the Democratic Primaries, Gary Hart narrowly wins against former Vice President Walter Mondale. Despite the electoral successes of the American Independent Party in 1980, Senator Jesse Helms declines to run for president again, and instead endorses Howard Baker after he picks Representative Jack Kemp as a more conservative option.

1980: The Comeback Kid (Also Jesse Helms revives the AIP from the grave because Ford is too moderate)

1980 Presidential Election

Nice.

You should try Arimo (Bold) for your font. I find that it's almost an exact replica of the Wikipedia font, and looks better on vector maps than serif fonts.

More from Paper Doves in Flight, this time featuring Hungary:

wikiboxhu90-png.279399

My usual strategy is to have everything link to a fruit. It used to be apples, but then I accidentally clicked on a link and now it's pears.

I used to do Samuel Adams, then I clicked on him, and now I just do Cheese.

This is a very strange conversation out of context, no?

Zioneer

Banned
I used to do Samuel Adams, then I clicked on him, and now I just do Cheese.

This is a very strange conversation out of context, no?
For my boxes, I tried to have a word associated with the person its "linking" to. Russell M Nelson is a heart doctor so he gets "heart", for example.

For my boxes, I tried to have a word associated with the person its "linking" to. Russell M Nelson is a heart doctor so he gets "heart", for example.
The few times I remember to do it, I just take the first letter of the person/party's name.

I suppose the easiest way is to do the infobox in incognito mode or something similar, but that's less fun

One day I'm going to view the Wikipedia article for Joseph and everything is going to hell

Steve Stills of Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young?
Yep! All the named people in the infoboxes are also famous-ish people in OTL.

I suppose the easiest way is to do the infobox in incognito mode or something similar, but that's less fun

One day I'm going to view the Wikipedia article for Joseph and everything is going to hell

It's the Wikipedia article for Duck that will mess me up big time.

Sabot Cat

Banned
What if the members of the U.S. House of Representatives were elected via the binomial voting system? For those who are unfamiliar, the rules are as follows:

1. Each district elects two Representatives each.
2. If a party's share of the popular vote is double or more of the runner-up party (e.g. 66.7% vs 33.1%), it elects both Representatives for that district. Otherwise, both the first-place and runner-up parties elect a Representative each.

iNtjEeU.png

fsbYuLS.png

yhiFMbo.png

mbtzpWb.png

0l8w0xy.png

ucMwQn5.png

ghTEOYU.png

You can review my data here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15VtmcYjbnnxj4U4QTwifVX8-1_FDKAGVDTTePUhkij4/edit?usp=sharing

An interesting tidbit I also discovered while working on this is that the number of districts wherein a party won both Representatives decreased as time went on.

Here is the number of Districts where a party won two seats (the winning party received double or more of the popular vote) divided by total Districts.

2000: 251/435, 58%
2002: 260/435, 60%
2004: 237/435, 63%
2006: 204/435, 47%
2008: 202/435, 46%
2010: 186/435, 43%
2012: 174/435, 40%
2014: 202/435, 46%

Last edited:

Zioneer

Banned
Nice work, Sabot!

Here's the third of my FH Mormon Church Presidents idea: Jeffrey R Holland. Holland is an interesting figure; on the one hand, he's Old Testament-y in his anger towards those who leave the Church, and he's very protective of the Church's reputation, but on the other hand, he's fairly neutral on LGBT issues (as much as you can be as an LDS apostle), and has spoken passionately about those who suffer from mental illness. He's very much a Southern Utah man, and has strong connections down that way and in Arizona. Like his fellow Apostle Dallin H. Oaks, Holland was head of BYU for a time, directly succeeding Oaks, as he's done here. (Senator Mike Lee's father succeeded Holland as BYU President, incidentally). Additionally Holland and Oaks are two of several BYU presidents who became LDS Apostles.

My view is that Holland as Church President would lead to some reforms, especially on social issues, but would dig in and fight it out on other fronts, especially internal reform and on any matters of doctrine and church history. I think by Holland's presidency, the LDS Church would accept marriage equality, and may open up the LDS priesthood to women, but the seniority succession method and any internal "government" stuff would probably remain. Holland's presidency would probably confront issues of Mormon identity and diversity, and would probably have more non-American apostles and other church leaders than ever before. For those keeping track, in my Wikiboxes, I have had a Filipino, a Zimbabwean (yes, we have a guy from Zimbabwe in our mid-level leadership), and a second German Apostle ordained at the deaths of each of these FH Church Presidents.

PnXa6Zz.png

The Chief Secretary of the United States is a senior official of the federal government of the United States of America heading the Executive Office of the President.

Neat. Is this something that has been proposed IOTL in any meaningful capacity, or just a fun wikibox?

What if the members of the U.S. House of Representatives were elected via the binomial voting system?

Gerrymandering is going to be unreal ITTL.

Sabot Cat

Banned
Gerrymandering is going to be unreal ITTL.

Well it's kinda fascinating, because packing voters into a district will probably end up backfiring because it'll give the opposing party more Reps, while drawing the map to win marginal victories in most districts wouldn't really work. The best strategy would be to contest every election, get as many voters as you can out there *especially* if their district isn't 'competitive', and also indirectly promote third parties similar in ideology to your opponent.

The few times I remember to do it, I just take the first letter of the person/party's name.

Eh. Too much effort. I just want to copy/paste and get it done.

Well it's kinda fascinating, because packing voters into a district will probably end up backfiring because it'll give the opposing party more Reps, while drawing the map to win marginal victories in most districts wouldn't really work. The best strategy would be to contest every election, get as many voters as you can out there *especially* if their district isn't 'competitive', and also indirectly promote third parties similar in ideology to your opponent.

So, is your conclusion that this system isn't actually that non-proportional for two party systems?

Sabot Cat

Banned
Eh. Too much effort. I just want to copy/paste and get it done.

I personally just open my User page on Wikipedia on Cool Novo, a Chrome-like browser that I never use except to do that.

So, is your conclusion that this system isn't actually that non-proportional for two party systems?

It shouldn't work as well it appears to, and I have no idea why it does. Thus, my conclusion is that the binomial voting system is an ineffable, shambling horror of political science.

I personally just open my User page on Wikipedia on Cool Novo, a Chrome-like browser that I never use except to do that.

It shouldn't work as well it appears to, and I have no idea why it does. Thus, my conclusion is that the binomial voting system is an ineffable, shambling horror of political science.

Have you tried applying it to quasi-two party systems with FPTP, like Canada or the UK? Maybe that could shed some light on things.

Status
Not open for further replies.